Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pass XA25

Re: Pass XA25

Quote Originally Posted by aRui View Post
    Can I ask why did you trade the XA25 for the SIT3?
    And made me purchase the SIT3 too. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul

Super Moderator

Hi,

Yes. My only reason is because I have Avantgarde Duo XD. They are 107db efficient. The SIT3 has lower gain and offers a little sweeter and softer presentation on my speakers. I only need a few watts. My SIT3 needs a resistor across the speaker terminal to bring down the resistance that the amp sees to something that the amp can better manage. The SIT3 is a little more laid back as well giving me a slightly distant perspective on the music. It’s more tube like in its sound as well.

If my speakers were more difficult to drive and less efficient, I’d definitely use an XA25. It’s a superb amplifier.

Joe

Can I ask why did you trade the XA25 for the SIT3?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Well, well, well, you made me buy an Accuphase E-650 but I think we both have the best gear now. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    And made me purchase the SIT3 too. Lol

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

I have no doubt that the MA352 will be wonderful. My brother has its little brother, the MA252 and he absolutely loves it. It’s also a wonderful little integrated. Having a more powerful MA352 would be great.

With digital sources, I always prefer a preamp in the chain. Usually a tube preamp like I mentioned previously. It helps breathe life into the music, in my opinion.

I also consider the new McIntosh MA352 which would be available to audition next month in my country, not sure about the quality but it is the Hybrid design you talked about.
    Last edited by joeinid; October 26, 2019 at 12:48 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I'm thinking about purchasing a XA25 to drive my Tannoy Kensington GRs. But I haven't had any ideas of which pre-amp to match the XA25. Would Benchmark LA4 a good choice? dCS Bartok is also in my radar but it is limited to digital stuff only. My brother had a Topping DX7 Pro and he said it could be used as a digital Pre-Amp but not sure about the quality.
    tried using my bel canto dac as pre amps a few times into my msb s200, it was detailed and a bit clinical . a good pre amp is better in my opinion. something like the xa25 deserves better
    funnily enough a xa 25 just came up for sale s/h near me in Uk but i cant afford it at the moment .
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Well, well, well, you made me buy an Accuphase E-650 but I think we both have the best gear now. Ha!
    I have no doubt that the MA352 will be wonderful. My brother has its little brother, the MA252 and he absolutely loves it. It’s also a wonderful little integrated. Having a more powerful MA352 would be great.

With digital sources, I always prefer a preamp in the chain. Usually a tube preamp like I mentioned previously. It helps breathe life into the music, in my opinion.
    I would wait to audition the Ma352 to make the decision. And about Accuphase E-650, I'm not sure if it is a great int. amp. or not. Me and my brother have compared it side by side with the Luxman 590 AX II and Cary 390.2 on Tannoy Kensington GRs and found that the 650's high was harsh and the low was too tight/less impact.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    tried using my bel canto dac as pre amps a few times into my msb s200, it was detailed and a bit clinical . a good pre amp is better in my opinion. something like the xa25 deserves better
    funnily enough a xa 25 just came up for sale s/h near me in Uk but i cant afford it at the moment .
    I'm thinking about what pre-amp I should purchase now. That would be a difficult decision because there are so many options out there

Super Moderator

Your opinion of the E650 is interesting. Definitely a tighter bottom end. I don’t find the highs harsh but I’ll have to listen more carefully next time.

I would wait to audition the Ma352 to make the decision. And about Accuphase E-650, I'm not sure if it is a great int. amp. or not. Me and my brother have compared it side by side with the Luxman 590 AX II and Cary 390.2 on Tannoy Kensington GRs and found that the 650's high was harsh and the low was too tight/less impact.

I'm thinking about what pre-amp I should purchase now. That would be a difficult decision because there are so many options out there

NAD C 658 streamer.

Harsh high on E650? Something is not right and as Joe and I know they need few days to settle in even it’s broken in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Paul

Super Moderator

+1

I think it’s a superb integrated.

Harsh high on E650? Something is not right and as Joe and I know they need few days to settle in even it’s broken in

NAD C 658 streamer.

Your opinion of the E650 is interesting. Definitely a tighter bottom end. I don’t find the highs harsh but I’ll have to listen more carefully next time.

You would easily hear when compare side by side with other amps. The E650 and Tannoy Kensington GRs we auditioned were demoed ones so they would have been fully broken in. The speaker cable was Vandenhul 3T The Cloud and it is said to be the perfect match for Tannoy and Accuphase. However, the sound quality of the E650 was not what we expected. The shop owner has warned us about the E650 before we auditioned but we didn't believe until we heard it with our own ears

Super Moderator

This again proves how important it is to demo gear and especially demo it in your own system.

NAD C 658 streamer.

This again proves how important it is to demo gear and especially demo it in your own system.
    ... or ask for a pic of the setup in the room. The reason I mention this is if it was a room of harsh reflections, it could make anything sound like shite....

jeff day is in the process of writing up the XA25 for PF -- his usual prologue here with a nice historical account of nelson pass and his amps...

https://jeffsplace.positive-feedback...tive-feedback/

btw: would anyone advise against using the XA25 without a preamp in the signal chain -- ie: direct input from a DAC with preamp such as t+a dac8 dsd, etc ?
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Super Moderator

Thank you for the link.

You can certainly use the XA25 direct. It’s a personal preference if you like what you hear or not. You will not hurt the amp but the sound will be a little sharper, cleaner and more detailed dac direct. Some prefer it that way, most don’t and want a preamp in the chain. A preamp will soften the sound a little but mainly add musicality. No right or wrong.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Exactly we both owned the amp with several others .

Paul

I have placed order on the NAD M22 V2. I want to ask if anyone has problem with the XA25 so far? 'Cause I'm going to place order on the XA25 soon. The only thing make me hesitate is my friend who was the technician told me that he fixed 2 XA25s for his customers and they got the same problem.
    EDIT: I HAVE PULLED THE TRIGGER AND PLACED ORDER ON THE XA25

what was wrong with the xa25 `s ?
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Super Moderator

XA25 sounds awesome to me. Never heard of any issues with it.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Not sure how to describe what he told me in English. According to my friend, the issues of the 2 XA25s he fixed both related to the bias. He told me that issue was no big deal because he fixed many hi-end and ultra hi-end amps and some of those can be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    what was wrong with the xa25 `s ?

My first impression on the XA25 and Tannoy Kensington GRs combo was the overall sound was real, especially the vocal and the air around the singers' voice/instruments were refined. However, the XA25 takes around 30-60 mins to be at its best.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator

Unfortunately all Pass and First Watt amps take up to an hour to sound their best. But the amps sound wonderful.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I just ordered an XA25. I have been using my Oppo 205 as a source with no preamp. Existing amps are Pass DIY monoblock 7wpc, Class A. Speakers
    are rated 94 sensitivity. I do not think the "No preamp" option will work with the new XA25/Oppo 205.
    Any suggestions for a "musical" used tube preamp solution?
    $3k max.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by gadios View Post
    I just ordered an XA25. I have been using my Oppo 205 as a source with no preamp. Existing amps are Pass DIY monoblock 7wpc, Class A. Speakers
    are rated 94 sensitivity. I do not think the "No preamp" option will work with the new XA25/Oppo 205.
    Any suggestions for a "musical" used tube preamp solution?
    $3k max.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Banned

Unfortunately all Pass and First Watt amps take up to an hour to sound their best. But the amps sound wonderful.
    I agree and at times it actually may take longer than one hour. So, I turn mine on and then go out for a walk. An hour or so later I come back to a glorious sound. The wait is definitely worth it.

Audioshark

We just got one in for inventory/stock. Ordered in August!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I have a used xa25 enroute. I am currently using a Parasound A21 with my Macintosh c2300 tube preamp. Looking forward to it's arrival. This will be my first Pass labs amp. I will be driving a pair of Snell JIV's that I restored that are 95db sensitivity. I listen to LOTS of vinyl.I am hoping this combo will satisfy my latest upgrade 'bug'..lol

Welcome gene9p!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Pass XA25