Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

What to Upgrade next?

Hi All,

A little background - I'm pushing 50, and have a long history as an audio lover that morphed over the years into a love of home theater. As an unintended consequence, my 2-channel listening shrunk nearly to nil, and vinyl long since to absolute zero.

About a year ago however my wife uncovered my old record collection...mostly rock, classic rock, early rap (talking late 70s - early 80s) as well as some crooners, big band, and a little jazz and classical. I decided to set up a 2-channel rig completely separate from my theater to see if the hobby was one to which I would return. I used to spend hours browsing the racks at the Tower Records (RIP) on E4th in NYC, run home with a new album or two, rip open the shrink wrap, and sit for hours just listening to the music. No reading, chores, or anything else. Just listening. Those were the days.

I started modestly, using a pair of Diva Swan 4.1's I had on hand, a new Marantz 8005, and a U-Turn audio TT with Grado Blue1 cart and in-built phono stage. Lo and Behold, not only have I resumed my old listening habits, but, to my delight, I've also started purchasing vinyl again - mostly 180g releases and re-releases of music I 'skipped' during the CD and now streaming eras. My wife thinks it's weird when I sit in the sweet spot and do nothing but listen to music, but ultimately she's supportive.

Of course, the entire experience left me wanting MORE.

I recently upgraded to a pair of KEF Reference 3's and a Pass Labs INT-60. That leaves my poor little U-Turn and its phono stage as my front end. From a cost standpoint, it's certainly the odd man out. I'm not sure if its quality is 'awful' per se as I've not been able to hear high end vinyl rigs with my speakers and amp. It was fine with the Marantz and Swans, but I can't help but think I'm leaving a lot on the table (heh) here.

Which leads me to my current dilemma. Do I get a new TT? A new cart for the existing one? A new phono stage? For the moment, the KEFs and Pass have left me somewhat out of funds, but I don't want to do "nothing" right now.

So, I wanted to pick the brains and tap the experiences of those here. I've had set ups recommended to me at different price points, e.g.:
    - Planar 6 + Ania MC + Rega Fono MC for about $3k
    - VPI Prime Scout + Ortofon 2M Black for about $3k before a phono stage

Others have insisted that my speakers and amp warrant (and would reveal the benefits of) a VPI Prime, or Rega RP8 or 10 with Gyrodec or Orbe.

I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a TT regardless, though, I'm already in for a bit on the other components.

Given all the above - and sorry again for the length - what do you gents and ladies think I ought to do? My inclination is to stay in the MM realm, but could be talked out of it.

Anyway, I'm somewhat all over the place. Sorry for that. I'll leave it there and hope for some thoughts.

Best,
    Tony

Audioshark

Re: What to Upgrade next?

WELCOME TO AS!

The VPI Prime Scout is a fine turntable. I agree with others about the Prime, but to be honest, the real big step up is the Prime Signature.

With REF3’s and a INT-60, you have a real nice system.

For a phonostage, check out the iFi Phono for not a lot of money. A step up from that would be the Manley Chinook.

As for cartridges, there is nothing wrong with a good MM, but a good MC is on a different level in terms of detail retrieval, tone, etc.

A VPI Prime or Prime Signature with an Ortofon Cadenza Black and a Manley Chinook would be insanely good and at the level of your REF3’s and INT-60.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Great story Tony and nice to hear you enjoy vinyl. I would tend to agree that the superb INT-60 and the Ref 3’s are begging for more.

I would maybe try to get a package deal on a Technics SL-1200G or an EAT C-Sharp with an Ortofon Quintet Black. A Prime Signature with an Ortofon Cadenza would be a step-up from that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Seems like your budget is around $3k. With that in mind consider the Clearaudio Concept which will come with a cartridge option, and then, a Musical Surroundings Phenominon 2

If not able to listen to some turntable rigs, read some reviews and cartridge comparisons to get a feel for the type of sound they have. As an example, a Grado will about opposite spectrum to an Ortofon. You want a capable table and phono stage but the cart will pretty much dictate much of the sonic character of the system. Don't get me wrong, each link in the chain will effect the sound in some way, it's just carts can vary quite a bit in sound and they are the first link in the chain.

If you are spending the cost of today's new LP's, you should have a quality rig to play them on.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Thanks so much for the thoughts everyone. Have to get around and do some test listening. I wish I could do that at home...what a great service that would be.

From my experience the KEF reference like a lot of power. You may want to look at upgrading to amps. My reference 5’s came alive when I switched to the Bryston 28b3 monos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

The Rega and VPI are great options. I would also take a look at the ClearAudio Concept, Music Hall MMF 7.3, 9.3 and Pro-ject Xtension 9 as well.

I would include the HANA SL MC cartridge, It punches above its price point. They also have a lower priced Cartridge.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content...black-s-mc-999

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...il-cartridges/

I agree with Mike on the IFI phono preamp. It is a good budget preamp. I auditioned one in my system and it sounds good. It did not sound better than an AVA HiFi phono pre that I compared it too. TAS loves the AVA HiFi pre. Some one at the Needle Doctor said that it beats out all their phono pre's that sell for under $1K.

https://www.needledoctor.com/analog/...nd/Van-Alstine

I would also take a look at Tavish Design phono pre and the Pro-ject RS reference phono pre if you are looking for a warmer sound with Balanced outputs. There was a nice write up in Stereophile Magazine a couple of months ago on the Tavish. These 2 are on my short list when I decide to upgrade.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content...c-overachiever

There are lots of great choices out there, have fun!
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    From my experience the KEF reference like a lot of power. You may want to look at upgrading to amps. My reference 5’s came alive when I switched to the Bryston 28b3 monos

He said he just upgraded his amp and his speakers. He's looking for advice on a turntable, cartridge, and phono stage.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    He said he just upgraded his amp and his speakers. He's looking for advice on a turntable, cartridge, and phono stage.
    Yes I think I'm set for now on the amp front. Interestingly, the Pass is rated "only" to 60WPC, with the first 30 in Class A. The combo is absolutely spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    The Rega and VPI are great options. I would also take a look at the ClearAudio Concept, Music Hall MMF 7.3, 9.3 and Pro-ject Xtension 9 as well.

I would include the HANA SL MC cartridge, It punches above its price point. They also have a lower priced Cartridge.

I agree with Mike on the IFI phono preamp. It is a good budget preamp. I auditioned one in my system and it sounds good. It did not sound better than an AVA HiFi phono pre that I compared it too. TAS loves the AVA HiFi pre. Some one at the Needle Doctor said that it beats out all their phono pre's that sell for under $1K.

I would also take a look at Tavish Design phono pre and the Pro-ject RS reference phono pre if you are looking for a warmer sound with Balanced outputs. There was a nice write up in Stereophile Magazine a couple of months ago on the Tavish. These 2 are on my short list when I decide to upgrade.

Thanks for all of this. Am due soon to get a couple of Graham Sleep phono stages in, via their loaner program (a fantastic opportunity to test in home with ones own gear btw, you just pay for the shipping). I've also had the Technics 1200G highly recommended to me...

Looks like I have a lot of searching out and listening to do.

the new Mofi deck would be a top consideration for me - looks really good compared to its competitors. $2k including cartridge.

i'd also try to hear the 1200GR.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    the new Mofi deck would be a top consideration for me - looks really good compared to its competitors. $2k including cartridge.

i'd also try to hear the 1200GR.
    Cool thanks - intend to check that one out as well.

Ah Mr. P fancy meeting you here. That sounds like a nice analog setup you recommended. I looked at the Clearaudio Concept with the Concept MC cartridge and you're not the first to recommend the MS Phenominon. Good to see you. Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Seems like your budget is around $3k. With that in mind consider the Clearaudio Concept which will come with a cartridge option, and then, a Musical Surroundings Phenominon 2
    If not able to listen to some turntable rigs, read some reviews and cartridge comparisons to get a feel for the type of sound they have. As an example, a Grado will about opposite spectrum to an Ortofon. You want a capable table and phono stage but the cart will pretty much dictate much of the sonic character of the system. Don't get me wrong, each link in the chain will effect the sound in some way, it's just carts can vary quite a bit in sound and they are the first link in the chain.

Ah Mr. P fancy meeting you here. That sounds like a nice analog setup you recommended. I looked at the Clearaudio Concept with the Concept MC cartridge and you're not the first to recommend the MS Phenominon. Good to see you. Jack
    If you are spending the cost of today's new LP's, you should have a quality rig to play them on.
    Speakers- Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Amp - Pass Labs X150.5, Preamp - McIntosh C2600, Turntable - Music Hall MMF-9.3, Cartridge - Goldring Eroica LX, Phono PreAmp - Sutherland Insight, Digital Playback - Rotel RCD-1072, DAC - Bryston BDA-3, Headphones - Sennheiser HD-660S, and Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX. Headphone Amp - Bryston BHA-1

I agree on the Music Hall MMF 7.3 and 9.3 as I've just ordered the 9.3 and the Concept and Pro-Ject were in the running along with the VPI Prime Scout.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content...black-s-mc-999

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...il-cartridges/

https://www.needledoctor.com/analog/...nd/Van-Alstine

https://www.analogplanet.com/content...c-overachiever

Speakers- Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Amp - Pass Labs X150.5, Preamp - McIntosh C2600, Turntable - Music Hall MMF-9.3, Cartridge - Goldring Eroica LX, Phono PreAmp - Sutherland Insight, Digital Playback - Rotel RCD-1072, DAC - Bryston BDA-3, Headphones - Sennheiser HD-660S, and Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX. Headphone Amp - Bryston BHA-1

Hi Jack, it is BR from the old AR forum. Welcome aboard.

Larry
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Looking at your gear and I thought it might be you. This is like a class reunion, but it feels better as it doesn't feel like they're closing the school. Any new gear that I'm missing, as I look at your list?

Hi Jack, it is BR from the old AR forum. Welcome aboard.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Looking at your gear and I thought it might be you. This is like a class reunion, but it feels better as it doesn't feel like they're closing the school. Any new gear that I'm missing, as I look at your list?

Not much new except my TT since AR. I built a Pass B1 pre/buffer which I gave to my son and I am currently building a Pass Labs Bride of Son of Zen balanced preamp. I recently built a custom dedicated audio desktop which took my digital to another level of refinement. Also added a second sub and recently bought an LPS to use with my Regen.

You are talented my friend.

Not much new except my TT since AR. I built a Pass B1 pre/buffer which I gave to my son and I am currently building a Pass Labs Bride of Son of Zen balanced preamp. I recently built a custom dedicated audio desktop which took my digital to another level of refinement. Also added a second sub and recently bought an LPS to use with my Regen.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

What to Upgrade next?