Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

VAC Master line and phono preamp

A couple of years ago, I made extensive upgrades to my system. Magico Q3s to M3s. Vac Phi200 monos to stereo Vac 200iQ. Vac Signature Mk IIa to Vac Master. Synergistic Research Element to Galileo interconnects and speaker cables. Addition of TotalDac d1-server and d1-six tube dac.

While the new system sounded amazing and exceeded my expectations, it also took quite awhile to get accustomed to the new sound. The width and depth of the soundstage, tonality, ability to separate out individual instruments or voices from a complex mix was far beyond what I thought was possible. I immediately fell in love with this system! The musical connection was intensely satisfying and I found myself listening to music whenever I was home.

That’s not to say that everything was perfect. I first realized that a single 200iQ was struggling in my room at the volume levels I occasionally listened to. Adding a 2nd 200iQ made a BIG improvement. Not only was there more and better bass and mid bass, which was my main goal with adding the 2nd amp, but that also banished some occasional hardness and compression whose presence I only realized had been present after it was gone.

There were still some remaining “hardness” and room for improvement with tone and tone density that was markedly improved with switching the stock 200iQ tubes to Sylvania and RCA 6SN7s. Changing the stock Master linestage 6DJ8s also made a BIG difference although it took some time to get the sound tailored to my preferences. Mullards were too warm and slow. Telefunkens a bit too bright and tipped up. Amperex 7308s, however, were just right.

What I discovered along the way was that this system almost always sounded better to my ears with components and tubes that were themselves neutral.

More recently, I upgraded the TotalDac d1-six to the d1-seven. Major improvement across the board.

Looking back, once I added the TotalDac to my system, I pretty much quit listening to vinyl. For the first time I didn’t feel like I was sacrificing musical quality for convenience and the listening fatigue I had always previously suffered with on digital sources was gone. Not reduced. None. Nada.

That brings me to the Vac Master phono. The Master preamp might be the best component I own. The Master preamp, along with the TotalDac, made the single biggest differences in my system. The Master linestage is absolutely superb. But I was not happy with the phonostage.

I think it took me a long time to finally do a bit of tube rolling in the phonostage because I was so in love with digital sources. I should have done it much sooner because the phono is much better than I suspected! New Tung Sol 12AX7s were better than the stock tubes but had too much hardness and didn’t have the warmth or liquidity I like. I added 2 Mullard 12AX7s at the critical “3” and “4” (middle) positions, but I got slow, overly warm and syrupy sound, just like the Mullards I had tried in the linestage. Today I switched in 4 Amperex 12AX7s (middle positions). To say I was shocked is an understatement. Now all of a sudden vinyl was fully competitive with digital! I should have known that the phono was better than I had been giving it credit for, but I am still incredulous at the sheer magnitude of improvement. The Master preamp is just SO transparent that what one might think would be small changes are anything BUT small. I will now be listening to a lot of vinyl again since I have a lot of records I don’t have digital versions of, or my preferred version is on vinyl.

From the first listen I could recommend the Vac Master linestage preamp. Now I can also wholeheartedly recommend the Vac Master phonostage.
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-twelve Mk2 DAC, Totaldac d1-player, Totaldac d1-streamer, Totaldac Live Power supply
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo SX speaker, phono, analog and digital interconnects
    Power products: Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX and Transporter Ultra. Galileo SX and SRX power cords. Keces P3 LPS for cable modem and router.

Audioshark

Re: VAC Master line and phono preamp

Thanks for the write up. The VAC Master Preamp with Phonostage is on my list to purchase this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

VAC Master line and phono preamp