Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

Esoteric New Product Launch

We are very proud to announce the introduction of 3 new components from Esoteric; the New K-01Xs SACD Player (replacing the outgoing K-01X), the New K-03Xs SACD Player (replacing the outgoing K-03X), and the New N-03T Network Audio Transport.

Let's start with our latest SACD player entries. At first glance to the exterior, the New K-01Xs and and K-03Xs both enjoy some subtle cosmetic changes around the drawer and an organic EL (electroluminescent) displays.

Internally, their DAC's have been upgraded to the top end AKM AK4497. This is the benchmark for DAC's. The K-01Xs uses a Dual Mono DAC arrangement and channel dedicated power supplies specifically designed for the K-01Xs. In the digital input stage, both units are equipped with a USB port enabling connection to a computer. The driver and playback software (Esoteric HR Audio Player) can be downloaded from the Esoteric website. The units support asynchronous transmission and a high sampling playback of DSD22.5MHz and PCM768kHz/32bit, and even enables high-quality playback of studio master quality sources. In addition to conventional asynchronous transmission methods, they support the new Bulk Pet method for an even wider range of tone selection.

Next, we are introducing a new category - the Network Audio Transport. Not to be confused with the Network Audio Player category where the N-05 and N-01 reside; the New N-03T does not possess it's own DAC's.

What does this mean? It means the unit can be partnered with any worthy DAC that possesses a USB input. This could be an Esoteric DAC of course, of which we build several. It could be one our SACD players, meaning an existing Esoteric customer who loves their player and the DAC's inside of it, could partner the New N-03T to it via the USB input on the back of the player! Or if a customer possesses a DAC they love from another vendor other than Esoteric, as long as the USB connectivity is there, they can tie the New N-03T to it. This versatility opens up all kinds of possibilities. The New N-03T possesses streaming service applications from Tidal and Spotify for U.S. consumption and is Roon Ready too!

K-01Xs = $22,000
    K-03Xs = $13,000
    N-03T = $11,000
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Esoteric New Product Launch

Thanks for sharing Mike. Now ; I know these are brand new but.. have you compared a k series one box compared to to the ps audio stack ? Using optical disc only? What are sonic characteriscs of each brand ?

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    Thanks for sharing Mike. Now ; I know these are brand new but.. have you compared a k series one box compared to to the ps audio stack ? Using optical disc only? What are sonic characteriscs of each brand ?
    mdp632.......That's a mighty quick derail of Mike's Esoteric New Product Launch.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    mdp632.......That's a mighty quick derail of Mike's Esoteric New Product Introduction.

My apologies. Please feel free to delete my post. I’ll contact Mike privately.

Esoteric continues to make attractive components.

Regarding the above description, can anyone describe what "Bulk Pet method" means?

Christian

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest & Iconoclast interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D-10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables

Quote Originally Posted by Rnrmf View Post
    Regarding the above description, can anyone describe what "Bulk Pet method" means?
    A different way of doing USB audio in the hope of improving SQ:
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oli ospec.com%2Fblog%2F%3Fp%3D1582

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Thank you for the link. The different settings available in "bulk pet" are interesting.
    Christian

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest & Iconoclast interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

Trying to work this out. So is the N-03T similar to the Lumin U1?
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by Rnrmf View Post
    Esoteric continues to make attractive components.

Thanks. I was wondering the same damn thing. Somewhere between a Puppy Mill and a Pet Store?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Thanks. I was wondering the same damn thing. Somewhere between a Puppy Mill and a Pet Store?
    That's just about what I got with a google search!
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    So is the N-03T similar to the Lumin U1?
    Functionally very similar. Hardware for the various SPDIF outputs are totally different.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hello
    and which one you think is the most robust in terms of hardware ?
    Thanks
    Alex

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    ..I know these are brand new but.. have you compared a k series one box compared to to the ps audio stack ?
    Seriously? The Esoteric wins hands down....

11k for a network streamer seems pretty excessive when a Aurender N10 is 60% of that.

Esoteric makes amazing products, but there is too much overlap between their lines. Also they put out products so quickly it makes it hard to justify the cost of the upper end of their line if they’re just going to trickle down the same chips to a less expensive model a year later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

When are we likely to see the next release of new Esoteric products? Is P-02X likely to be replaced by a new model? I guess D1 will be replaced soon?
    I'm contemplating whether to buy a P-02X or wait it out until its replacement. Is P-02X likely to sound much better than P-05X when connected via AES/EBU to N-01?

Esoteric is at the Tokyo show next week (room G602)...I'm salivating at the prospect of some new product announcements. Anybody going to the show?

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

The DEC ...
    https://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/d...artno=AK4497EQ

Some top digital audio gurus (builders) use that DAC in their digital audio masterpieces.

I was wondering why not the top ESS DAC, but after exploring the digital territory of DACs and their implementation I highly respect Esoteric's choice.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

In Japanese (at least you can see the photo of VRDS ATLAS):
    https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1153757.html
    https://www.phileweb.com/news/audio/.../16/20357.html

According to http://www.avcat.jp/main/avnews/2018...c%81%ef%bc%81/

P1X 3,500,000 YEN

D1X 3,500,000 YEN

What should I do....buy D1X and forgo disc spinning capability, or buy P1X and spin it to my N-01?

Buying both is unlikely at this point because I just bought Magico M3.

Can the Esoteric dealers that monitor this channel reach out to their Esoteric contacts and find out anything more on D1X and P1X as per announced at Tokyo Audio Show last month. Particularly when production stock might find their way to the various export markets.

I'm surprised the recent announcement of Grandioso K1X hasn't cracked a mention here yet.

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    What should I do....buy D1X and forgo disc spinning capability, or buy P1X and spin it to my N-01?

Buying both is unlikely at this point because I just bought Magico M3.
    Tough question for me to answer, on one hand it makes sense to rip all CDs and SACDs (still stifling on that) on the other having media makes it cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Has anybody noticed the new K1X has both IEC mains power socket and dual DC power input socket? What gives, there is an optional power supply for it?

They've slipped this new product under the radar....

https://www.esoteric.jp/en/product/n-01xd/top

Has anybody noticed the new K1X has both IEC mains power socket and dual DC power input socket? What gives, there is an optional power supply for it?
    Yes....and Esoteric has just announced the companion product (use Chrome translate):

https://online.stereosound.co.jp/_ct/17333073

This will offload the PSU duties on the K1X for the analog section to an external and shutdown the transformers
    from internally from the K1X's analog signal path; the result should be excellent!!!

There is other very interesting info in the article and when translated....

"At the same time, we will start accepting the upgrade service "VUK-K1PS1" from March 1 to enable the Grandioso PS1 compatible SACD / CD player "Grandioso K1". The price here is $ 150,000 (excluding tax)."

"* Details of the upgrade service "VUK-K1PS1"
     VUK-K1PS1 is a service that adds a DC power input terminal that enables the Grandioso K1 to be compatible with the Grandioso PS1. The upgrade process itself will be carried out once the user's favorite machine is left to the Esoteric side. The service will start in late April."

The other interesting thing is the K1X (and guessing K1 upgraded) only requires 2 DC umbilical inputs.

There are 4 outputs on the new power supply....

Wondering what other upgrades/new products they have in mind :-) wondering is P-02Xs and D-02X, each
    having ability to leverage this supply or something else is coming?????

This is great news for anyone invested in a K1 or those that will buy the K1X...

Legacy Audio Valor+Wavelet v2, Esoteric S-02 Amps HDPlex 300W, RevAudio Labs DC Umbilical, Esoteric Grandioso P1, P1PSU & dual D1 DACs, Cybershaft Prem Ltd OP21A 10 MHz Clock, Esoteric C-02X, Shunyata Everest 8000 & Altaira SG-NR hubs, Sigma SGC/CGC ground cables, VTX-Ag ground tails, AfterBurner8 duplexes, CSP Inc Q4B, S2B IEC plates, Shunyata Omega CLOCK-50 cables, Tubulus Concentus HDMI, Elrod Master Series Diamond SE & Masters Series Gold Power cords and Statement Gold XLRs, Diamond XLRs & Master Series Diamond XLRs, Shunyata OMEGA QR-s power cable, Anaconda Z-tron XLR, Elrod Statement Gold speaker cables, Adona Zero GX3, GX2, GX racks, Composite Audio CF-2010, Townshend Audio Podiums, HRS DPX Damping Plates, Stillpoints Ultra SS w/Ultra Bases, pArtScience 64-well, 2D QRD 3-inch SpaceArray Diffusors

Travel/Rip: Apple MacBook Pro 16” 2023 M2 Max, 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD for Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, REW Audio Analyzer, dbPowerAmp, DVD Audio Extractor

They've slipped this new product under the radar....

https://www.esoteric.jp/en/product/n-01xd/top
    I have just gone ahead and purchased an N-01 as well. Took some time to decide if I wanted to wait for the "XD" variant or not but decided it wasn't worth it. First, I have a little more faith in the implementation and design of the AKM DAC chips than I do of Esoteric's first FPGA DAC. Let them iron out this new direction/technology before you go jumping on it. Im also sure that the already very expensive N01 will seem a bargain once the N01XD price is released.

What makes the N01XD especially tempting over N01 is ES-LINK support, for those who own a compatible SACD transport.

ES-link is that tempting? Is it worth gambling on a first generation FPGA? And rest assured the N-01XD will cost thousands more than the outgoing N-01.

The FPGA chips are well established technology. The only gamble is how long it might take Esoteric to optimize the software programmed into those chips. And there is the beauty of the new direction, they can reprogram an FPGA as they build upon their experience gained over time. ES-Link smooths out the price difference; instead of an expensive AES/EBU to connect your SACD transport you could use a much cheaper HDMI cable (or even the one included with the transport) without suffering any consequences.

My understanding is that the physical design of the FPGA matters more so than the programming of it. The FPGA of tomorrow will be better than the one of today, regardless of the programming, so this direction still has a shelf life. Someone correct me if Im wrong but Im quite certain that even this design has limitations.

Im also pretty sure that the retail price of the N-01 will jump by $4-5K for the new N-01XD... atleast in the US. Thats an expensive cable.

Dual AES/EBU connection with a Shunyata Sigma will set you back $4K. An ES-Link connection will cost zero. There is your price difference for starters.

And you are not correct with your understanding...the programming of the FPGA and allocation of embedded memory on the chip has a big influence on jitter and hence resultant sound.

I have no doubt that potential improvements may exist, will they be anything more than a spec on a sheet? I dont know. Everything has an influence on the resultant sound, its the extent to which it does that matters. Can I hear a little more or a little less jitter? I doubt it. What I can tell you is that I can definitely hear a SNR difference between 120DB and 113DB, assuming both were measured the same way.

Also, If ES Link uses Ethernet cabling for transmission would you not want to use the best quality cable there as well?

Knowing Esoteric, I also doubt that they will be releasing new FPGA programming. Its more likely that you buy the unit with the programming that was developed for that device and new programming wont be introduced until the next generation of that device. Probably not backwards compatible/install-able either.

ES-Link does not use ethernet cabling. There is black magic marketing out there about HDMI cables for audio use (which is the cable ES-Link uses), but I can't readily hear any difference between the expensive ones and cheap ones. Esoteric have released a number of software updates for N01 so I would expect them to do the same for N01XD. The software updates are end-user installable.

I would consider an FPGA program change to be something completely different from the usual software/firmware updates. I voted with my money so lets see how it plays out.

Japanese demos comparing K1X with K1 using multiple formats (in case your Japanese isn't up to snuff, see what's playing displayed in the right margin). I have a MacPro with small B&W speakers (not great but decent), and I can hear clear differences in favor of the K1X.
    https://youtu.be/dMoNfaanXrM
    https://youtu.be/guHysEd47-k
    Impressive new product but at an impressive price.

You have owned the K1 and K1X? or are you referring to you listening to those YouTube videos?

Listening to YouTube videos. (I own a lowly K-03X.)

Hopefully you do realize that you cant draw any conclusion from that, certainly not that one is better... you literally don't even know what you are listening to.

Of course. I just remarked what sounded better to me via YouTube on my modest laptop rig. Have you listened to these? Can you tell any difference?

Audioshark

The new Esoteric sound is much less digital and hashy sounding. I heard the new Esoteric stuff at Axpona and Munich and was very impressed. It’s right up there with Chord, Emm, DCS, etc. The sound to me of Esoteric still isn’t as meaty and fleshy and organic as MSB, but it was very pleasing none the less and a big step in the direction of sounding much more organic. And no one can not love the build quality and looks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Esoteric New Product Launch