Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Headphones, got any favorites?

I am really enjoying the Dennis Had headphone amp that I recently purchased. I believe I enjoy it even more than the Bryston that I had, and really liked (certainly better then the Teac, Benchmark, NuPrime, or T+A DACs being used as headphone amps). I enjoyed the Sennheiser HD800S's that I had and used with the Bryston. After getting the MrSpeakers Ether cans I found I never used the HD800S any more. They are as comfortable as the Sennheiser (much more so than the McIntosh and Audeze that I previously owned), but I felt the MrSpeakers were fuller sounding.

I am waiting for a pair of Focal to arrive (hopefully later this week). I wanted another headphone that was different then the planner MrSpeakers, and these easily won our Audio Clubs can jam we held last month. So I have high hopes in having a second pair that I switch off and on.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

My friend still has an R10 that he just can't seem to let go of, even though they sell for crazy money these days. He had 3 at one time, including "bass heavy" and "bass light" variants - a true fanatic! I owned one in the past, too. Between us we've had 5 different R10 units I think. I thought the last "Amazon special" models sounded best. Awesome soundstage, great natural tone, and simply amazing for large scale classical/orchestral music. Biggest soundstage I've heard from closed cans, but they were pretty leaky. Unfortunately, even the "bass heavy" variants lacked the slam and guts necessary for rock, especially hard rock and metal. Not a complete "all genre" headphone, and its detail retrieval has been exceeded by some other top cans.

This friend really loves the HD800 with ECP Audio amps. The ECP gear has a very smooth, analog sound. I think he likes the HD800/ECP setup a bit better than his R10; it's certainly a better all-around setup (though I've yet to warm up to the HD800 - I still like the Qualia 010 much better). But his top favorite setups are still Sennheiser he90 Orpheus headphones into a T2 amp, followed by 009 into T2 (I reverse this, and prefer the 009 over Orpheus). I think the Qualia 010 beats MDR-R10 too, but the Qualias are incredibly polarizing for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
    My friend still has an R10 that he just can't seem to let go of, even though they sell for crazy money these days. He had 3 at one time, including "bass heavy" and "bass light" variants - a true fanatic! I owned one in the past, too. Between us we've had 5 different R10 units I think. I thought the last "Amazon special" models sounded best. Awesome soundstage, great natural tone, and simply amazing for large scale classical/orchestral music. Biggest soundstage I've heard from closed cans, but they were pretty leaky. Unfortunately, even the "bass heavy" variants lacked the slam and guts necessary for rock, especially hard rock and metal. Not a complete "all genre" headphone, and its detail retrieval has been exceeded by some other top cans.

This friend really loves the HD800 with ECP Audio amps. The ECP gear has a very smooth, analog sound. I think he likes the HD800/ECP setup a bit better than his R10; it's certainly a better all-around setup (though I've yet to warm up to the HD800 - I still like the Qualia 010 much better). But his top favorite setups are still Sennheiser he90 Orpheus headphones into a T2 amp, followed by 009 into T2 (I reverse this, and prefer the 009 over Orpheus). I think the Qualia 010 beats MDR-R10 too, but the Qualias are incredibly polarizing for good reason.
    I did love my R-10's, and agree with your comments about the sound. I also agree with you in regards to the original HD800. I could not warm up to it either, and pardon the pun, but it was just too cold and sterile for me, even with warmish tube amplification. The HD800S version seems to have rectified that for the most part, with the headphone having a warmer, more full-bodied sound, while still maintaining amazing detail retrieval. It also seems to do all genre's of music justice. I am sure that other headphones may be better for just classical, or just rock, etc., but for an all-around can, the HD800S's are pretty darned good.
    Kevin

Main: VPI Aries 3/Grado Reference3, and Aurender N200 > PS Audio DS DAC. Luxman L-509Z integrated amp. Sonus Faber Elipsa SE speakers. PS Audio P10 power. Transparent Audio, Cardas and Audioquest cables.

Bar: EAT C-sharp/Hana MH, and exaSound s82 > Luxman L-595SE amp. GolderEar One.R speakers. Shunyata power, Audioquest cables.

Headphones, got any favorites?

Got myself a pair of the new Audeze LCD-2 Classic open backs a couple days ago. They have now corrected what they lost by introducing the Fazor elements.

They’re not the most highly resolving on the top, but I am not a friend of biting highs anyway. They do however have the most yummy bass I have heard from a headphone, just like the originals. The top end politeness is easily corrected by driving them with a high quality headphone amp, in the range of 2000 mV Class A output power. They are nevertheless sensitive enough, so I can also just drive the directly through my MacAir to a very satisfactory end result.

Compared them to the closed backs, and the highly acclaimed Focal Clears. I chose the Audezes for the most enjoyable overall presentation.

Conclusion: Yummiest, creamiest bass ever. 100% non-fatiguing output. With the superb bass comes great and deep soundstage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

He lives!
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Andrew: barely Headphones, got any favorites?.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

mauidan

Headphones are obviously a very personal choice. A person on another forum prefers the sound and comfort of the Clears to the more expensive Audeze LCD-3.

Only thing he didn't like was the Clear's standard cable, which he found to be too stiff and tended to kink.

Hopefully, I'll have my new Clears next week.

I am really enjoying my new Clears! They are very different then my Ethers, but both deserve a place in my audio room (or loft library as I describe it).

The Ether's might be a bit more airy (if that is a word), and very sharp over all in the mid upper frequencies. I always thought they were solid in the bottom end, until I heard my Focals. The Focals are all around excellent performers. Great sounding in every way, and probably more open then the MrSpeakers.

Many times I have heard people describe the Focals as being comfortable. They are, but not even close to the MrSpeakers in this regards. The Ethers almost feel like you have nothing on your head, which I would never say about the Focals.

I am enjoying having both headphones, but since getting the new Clears at least 90% of the time they are the ones I am listening to. One other thing... I very much disagree with whoever said they did not like the cables that come with the Focals. I find these to be fantastic. As good as most after market or "better" cables that I have seen. They also include whatever type of cable I would want, 1/8" for portable, 3 meter 1/4" and 3 meter 4-pin XLR. I find the cables themselves equivalent to many after market cable. Certainly as good as the $250 MrSpeakers DUM cable!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I'm not a deeply-involved headphone enthusiast, so I just go for a pair that sounds good while traveling or while doing light work at my desk. I recently bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT Bluetooth headphones. These are the first wireless headphones I've owned. They sound great when playing music off my iphone from either the Tidal app or Tunein app. They support the 24-bit/48kHz Qualcomm® aptX™ HD codec. Though they are wireless, I think they more than hold their own against any other cans in their price range ($550). Here is a very good explanation of the technology: https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/h...d1a/index.html
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Hiya

I do love headphones but I personally prefer earphones. Are we allowed to share our favourite earphones instead? Hehe

If I had to choose headphones then my current favourite would be the empyrean.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Phil, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I recently sold my great sounding but incredibly heavy and uncomfortable Audeze LCD XC phones and bought a pair of MrSpeakers Aeon Flow closed 'phones. They sound great. While perhaps not quite as transparent and detailed as my HD800s, they provide much more isolation when the house is noisy (e.g. the washer/dryer is running, my wife is watching TV in the kitchen, etc.), and they are vastly more comfortable than the Audeze phones.
    B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

A headphone topic and no one mentions Beyerdynamic or Audio Technica. While I only use headphone when playing computer games or watching YouTube. These two brands are IMHO iconic. The ATH-AD700 I have is so comfortable. My girlfriend is very happy with her D990 edition.

If my Audio Technica was to die, I would buy the current incarnation in a minute.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    A headphone topic and no one mentions Beyerdynamic or Audio Technica. While I only use headphone when playing computer games or watching YouTube. These two brands are IMHO iconic. The ATH-AD700 I have is so comfortable. My girlfriend is very happy with her D990 edition.

If my Audio Technica was to die, I would buy the current incarnation in a minute.
    See post #59.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

I agree on the performance and comfort of the MrSpeaker Ether model. Wonderful headphone. Unfortunately, I can't keep everything, therefore I have a pair for sale with every extra anyone could want for them. Check out the for sale section of the forum!

http://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=15208

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

My Sony MDR-MA900 have been absurdly comfortable going on six years now.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

ZMF Auteur Blackwood for me. This is after a dozen headphones up to and including Focal Utopia with Beryllium drivers which were flat out to 50Khz. Something about Bio-cellulose drivers this I find organic, musical and completely intoxicating. On the budget and as a spare, I continue to use my long-standing musical and “budget reference” headphone Sennheiser HD-600. The ZMF and HD-600 are just right for tubes with their “highish” impedance.

I didn't see a thread on Portable Music Players. Recently I have been using my portable a lot more, at work, traveling, etc. I have had a Pono for a while and it was good, but I also always felt it was limited a bit. I recently got a gently use Astell&Kern AK240. What a wonderful player. Sounds incredible!

I love my Focal Clear headphones. They are great for home use and though they play well on the AK they are simply a bit too bulky to lug along to work or on an airplane, etc. Therefore I recently tried the Audeze iSine headphones. Really nice and very comfortable in my view. I read that sometimes they are referred to as small Planar Magnetic headphones hanging next to your ears. I tried the 10s and was very impressed so I just had a pair of the 20s that arrived today. I would love to try the LCDi4 but honestly, $2500 for portable IEM headphones is a touch too steep ...

Very impressive for small ear phones that sort of hang next to your ears ....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

The Audeze iSine 20 are pretty amazing so far! They are still breaking in and I have noticed some differences from when I first started listening to them for a couple hours last night.

They are very good, like little planar magnetic headphones hanging off the side of your head and pumping straight into your ear canal. I can't even imagine how good the LCDi4 are. Audeze claims they are almost the same as their full size LCD4 but at a greatly reduced size and weight.

Now these are the ones that I really would love ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I definitely can't get over how good these little Planar Magnetic Headphones are. I can listen to them for a very long time, almost forget they are on even. I have never had a headphone that would completely disappear like these, even my wonderful Focal's. I would not say that the iSine 20 sound 100% as good as my Focal's, but they are very good.

The LCDi4 would probably be a completely different world as Audeze is calling them their mini LCD4 and saying the are on board sound wise with the LCD4 but have all the comfort of the iSine 20! I think the ultimate goal at this point is to get a pair of Audeze LCDi4 and use them as my primary headphone listening, either at home, work, or traveling!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I ordered the Audeze LCDi4. The plan is that these will become my main listening headphone. A vast majority of my headphone listening is with my portable player and these are considered by many as the best earphone for portables. Audeze compares them to their top of the line LCD4 and states that these will be very competitive against any headphone, not just IEMs.

If these are as good as every review states then I will probably be selling my Focal Clear. I have yet to decide if I will keep the iSine 20 as backup/beat around phones and reserve the LCDi4 for best listening environments.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

I just added HiFi Man Headphones to my lineup. Always a favorite at the shows. Bringing in a few models to start.

Tempted to get the Viva 2A3 Headphone amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Nice! HiFi Man makes some fantastic cans for sure. At our audio club can jam Jon brought a pair of one of their models. I was very impressed.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I wanted to hate the HiFiMan Susvara so bad, but finally got to borrow them, and have to admit they blew me away. Those $6K Susvaras out of just a $2K amplifier (Headamp GS-X mini) almost, ALMOST matched the Stax 009, 009S, or 007 from my $12K DIY T2 uber-amplifier (as in, it's a long way down in performance to even a BHSE or Carbon from here). That's 8K total vs. 16K. And it certainly got a lot closer than anything else I've heard. The Focal Utopia, Stellia, and Meze Empyrean were absolutely blown out of the water by comparison, though I think on an absolute scale those are very nice sounding headphones. The Ether E electrostats couldn't keep pace.

They still need to work on build quality, but man - such good sound.

I really wish I had them around now, while my Stax amp is down, grrrrr.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
    I wanted to hate the HiFiMan Susvara so bad, but finally got to borrow them, and have to admit they blew me away. Those $6K Susvaras out of just a $2K amplifier (Headamp GS-X mini) almost, ALMOST matched the Stax 009, 009S, or 007 from my $12K DIY T2 uber-amplifier (as in, it's a long way down in performance to even a BHSE or Carbon from here). That's 8K total vs. 16K. And it certainly got a lot closer than anything else I've heard. The Focal Utopia, Stellia, and Meze Empyrean were absolutely blown out of the water by comparison, though I think on an absolute scale those are very nice sounding headphones. The Ether E electrostats couldn't keep pace.

They still need to work on build quality, but man - such good sound.

I really wish I had them around now, while my Stax amp is down, grrrrr.
    I’ll be the first to admit, my headphone knowledge is not great, but I’m trying to learn about the brands and products. Maybe it’s a good thing because when I hear something really good, that’s what I focus on. For me it was the HiFi Man 1000SE with the Viva 2A3 at Munich. I was captivated by the sound. I later learned the 1000SE is very efficient and works great with a lot of headphone amps and for me, the Viva 2A3 had a magic that was incredible. I actually sat, closed my eyes and got lost in the music. Can’t say that happens much for me with a lot of headphones I listen to.

I heard the $350 Hi-Fi Man Headphones called “Sundara”. I kept asking if the guy said $1350 or $350. $350 still doesn’t seem right. They sound WAY better than $350 to my ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

How is the build quality, do you think they withstand the trials of being out and about, in and out of bags and pockets, rain and shine etc...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I didn't see a thread on Portable Music Players. Recently I have been using my portable a lot more, at work, traveling, etc. I have had a Pono for a while and it was good, but I also always felt it was limited a bit. I recently got a gently use Astell&Kern AK240. What a wonderful player. Sounds incredible!

I love my Focal Clear headphones. They are great for home use and though they play well on the AK they are simply a bit too bulky to lug along to work or on an airplane, etc. Therefore I recently tried the Audeze iSine headphones. Really nice and very comfortable in my view. I read that sometimes they are referred to as small Planar Magnetic headphones hanging next to your ears. I tried the 10s and was very impressed so I just had a pair of the 20s that arrived today. I would love to try the LCDi4 but honestly, $2500 for portable IEM headphones is a touch too steep ...

Very impressive for small ear phones that sort of hang next to your ears ....

I am on a trip now and the AK240 and the iSine 20 seem to be working just fine. I believe it is important to put the Audeze in their storage case when not in use. It protects them just fine. I would never put these ear buds in my pocket.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I just returned home today from a trip back east. Unfortunately the trip was for my father's funeral. He was 91 and had a good long life and affected many!

A brand new pair of Audeze LCD-i4 were waiting for me when I arrived home. I just listened to them for the past couple hours. I have to say they are quite stunning. I know from the lower Audeze models that they will improve with some break in time, however I have to say that this was probably the best headphone experience I have ever had.

I really like my Focal Clear headphones; I also enjoyed the Mr. Speaker Ether, the Sennheiser HD800S, and the McIntosh MHP1000 that I have previous owned; however none ever made me feel like I was not listening to headphones. With the Audeze LCD-i4 I totally forgot I had headphones on and became absorbed in the music.

Tremendous in every way; amazing sounding and felt like there was nothing on my head just wonderful sound emanating around me!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

I just returned home today from a trip back east. Unfortunately the trip was for my father's funeral. He was 91 and had a good long life and affected many!

A brand new pair of Audeze LCD-i4 were waiting for me when I arrived home. I just listened to them for the past couple hours. I have to say they are quite stunning. I know from the lower Audeze models that they will improve with some break in time, however I have to say that this was probably the best headphone experience I have ever had.

I really like my Focal Clear headphones; I also enjoyed the Mr. Speaker Ether, the Sennheiser HD800S, and the McIntosh MHP1000 that I have previous owned; however none ever made me feel like I was not listening to headphones. With the Audeze LCD-i4 I totally forgot I had headphones on and became absorbed in the music.

Tremendous in every way; amazing sounding and felt like there was nothing on my head just wonderful sound emanating around me!
    So sorry to hear about your Father.

Thanks Mike. He was a good man and had a good long life. Hard worker and taught us how to be men and take care of our family's through his actions. We will miss him but also celebrate his life.

Was not meaning to be a downer.

I got an opportunity to put the iSine 20 through their paces on the trip. Very nice. Sort of like these planar magnet ear phones hanging off the side of your head that you forget are even there. Quite impressive in every way. The LCD-i4 take all the design elements of the iSine's and bring it to the LCD-4 level. Rather amazing.

I am thinking that I will probably sell the Focal Clear (hardly used) and the iSine 20 since the LCD-i4 are so good. They also sent me the optional Cipher cable with the LCD-i4. I am going to check and see if it will fit the iSine 20 (I think it might) and if so I will include it with the iSine 20 since I will never use a iApple product. I guess it is suppose to really up the game on these IEMs when used with Apple products. I use the Audeze with my Astell&Kern so I definitely do not need this cable.

PS... I just checked. The Cipher cable does fit the iSine 20 perfectly. This is the cable that Audeze sells for $120 for their IEM planar magnets to use with Apple products. It actually includes a built in DAC and all reviewers claim that it makes iApple products sound pretty good as portable music players with the iSine ear phones. It also works with specialized software designed for these Apple products.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

A quick follow up. I had the Audeze LCD-i4 on most of the day yesterday. Besides sounding amazing they were comfortable. They did not bother me what so ever wearing them for hours. Other then the cord hanging down I believe I would have forgotten that I had ear phones on even. Yes, to get this level of comfort you need to use the provided ear hooks. The current hooks have been redesigned to go around your ear somewhat and are called curvy ear hooks.

I have never been able to use any of my previous headphones for hours on end without discomfort. Even the MrSpeakers Ether which I considered the most comfortable headphone that I had previously owned.

Sound wise, these are breaking in a bit and I have to say they are better then any that I have previously owned; the MrSpeakers Ether, the Sennheiser HD800S, Audeze EL8, Focal Clear, McIntosh MHP1000, KEF M500, Audeze iSine 10, Audeze iSine 20; or heard at our audio club can jam, HiFi Man HE1000, Audeze LCD3, etc. The bottom line these little planar magnet ear phones are amazing and the best personal listening speaker that I have ever heard.

Besides being insanely light and comfortable they are very open sounding with great imaging. They have fantastic highs and vocal range but what surprises me the most is how solid and deep the base is. They do not have the "boxy" sound that most headphones have, especially IEMs. I do not know how else to describe it but I feel like I am surrounded by music. Very impressed and I will be putting my Focal Clear and Audeze iSine 20 (their closes baby brothers) up for sale. (Both are now listed on The Fish Market)

https://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=16887
    https://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=16888

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Wanted to try Balanced on the AK player. They claim balanced is a huge difference. Since I just sold the Focal headphones and had a little funds available, I figure lets give it a try. Not a ton of choices out there.

Moon-Audio makes a "Silver Dragon" cable that appears to be quite good, so I decided to give it a try. Audeze LCD-i4 connectors on the headphone side and 2.5" balanced connector on the DAP side, for "For AK Players". I am looking forward to listening to this cable.

So far I am loving the AK DAP with the LCD-i4 planar magnet earphones! Hoping the new cable takes the combo to an even higher level!

Since I am currently very satisfied with my 2-channel system, concentrating on the DAP and earphones seems to make a lot of sense to me!

Been very busy at work and listening to some great tunes makes the day go much faster for sure!!!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

My favorite ones are the Kennerton Odin V2 that i own and the Hifiman HE-1000SE that i will purchase next month.
    Paired with Chord Hugo 2 great combos.

my choice for the headphones are sennheiser, jabra and plantronics...

I wanted to put in an update on headphones. I really like the sound of the Audeze LCD-i4 but having them for almost a year there are some things that were bugging me. The case is one in that these are not usable without the ear hooks but with the ear-hooks attached they no longer fit in the Audeze case. I picked up a little Pelican case that works but kind of a pain to carry, and hard to protect the expensive cable in the case etc.

I also found that ear-buds are irritating to me when listening to them for any longer time frames. I have been torn because the LCD-i4 are really good sounding and amazingly small.

I have always heard that Abyss are one of the absolute best sounding headphones in the world. The biggest issue has always been their bulk, from what I have read. This is why they designed the Diana, as a smaller thinner Abyss. The original Diana's were supposed to have been great but the 1266 were considered much better. Anyway, they released the redesigned Diana Phi using the same drivers as their higher model. Anyway, I have a pair in bound! They are supposed to be fantastic for both home use and with a portable!!! They come with cable adapters for either use.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jiasmith1985 View Post
    my choice for the headphones are sennheiser, jabra and plantronics...
    Welcome to the forum

NAD C 658 streamer.

I have used 3M headphones for years and they have never disappointed. If you have the budget, I would recommend you go for Bose or Sony.

I believe Bose headphones for music top out at about $380. Bose has always been a solid line of transducers (speakers and headphones) but have rarely been considered audiophile level products.

Audiophile headphones are in a slightly different league then the Bose and most Sony, although Sony does produce a couple highly rated hi-end cans.

The Abyss on the other hand are ultra hi-end headphones. The AB-1266 Phi TC sell for $4995 - $7995 depending on package. They are hand made in Buffalo New York. However, like most ultra hi-end audiophile headphones they are rather bulky.

Attachment 28414

The Diana Phi use the same drivers but are built to be smaller and lighter and suitable to be used in home headphone setups or with hi-end portable players. They are consider one of the true state of the art headphones that are also fairly compact and portable. They also are hand made in Buffalo and sell for $3995.

Attachment 28415

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

The Abyss arrived today. After two albums I can say, without reservation, these are the most comfortable and by far the best sounding headphones I have ever heard!

Headphones I have owned, for comparison; the McIntosh MHP-1000, Audeze EL-8, KEF M500, Sennheiser HD800S, Mr Speakers Ether, Focal Clear, Audeze LCD-i4. I have heard other high end head phones, especially at our audio club can jam event, but none come even close in my view!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

The Abyss arrived today. After two albums I can say, without reservation, these are the most comfortable and by far the best sounding headphone I have ever heard!

Headphones I have owned, for comparison; the McIntosh MHP-1000, Audeze EL-8, KEF M500, Sennheiser HD800S, Mr Speakers Ether, Focal Clear, Audeze LCD-i4. I have heard other high end head phones, especially at our audio club can jam event, but none come even close in my view!
    Those are terrific cans! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mine are the bronze color (brown, don't know why they call them bronze ). They are gorgeous, and built. Carbon fiber, leather, ceramic, aluminum, etc. Nice canvas and leather bag. They just reek of quality... so to answer Joe's original question in this thread. Really simply.. get a pair of Abyss, either the AB-1266 Phi TC or the Diana Phi! And made in Buffalo!

Emmmm... sorry, Joe's thread was the other one , still the answer remains the same!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

hey guys, don't want to go off topic here but I just started a new thread+posted my review of the 64Audio A18T CIEM. This is a gorgeous piece and one that I am proud to own. It's also an attempt at writing a more thorough review so any feedback is appreciated. I have another review on the way when my Taiko Extreme gets here. That will be more detailed and hopefully discuss some sample tracks. Also, I am not paid to review - just something I like doing.

All I have is a pair of Grado 125s that I might use once or twice a year. I will never use any Ear Bud types as I don't care for pushing dirt into my ears.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    I will never use any Ear Bud types as I don't care for pushing dirt into my ears.
    I concur. I was very impressed with the sound of the Audeze LCD-i4, but I found that the ear bud design was rather irritating to me. Much happier with an on ear/over ear design. The Abyss are really amazing so far!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I have been listening to the Abyss at work the past couple of days with my portable. I think they are loosing up and really showing their sound. The bass is tighter and more present then I have ever heard in headphones. Also high frequencies are simply superb! Open with amazing details on every instrument. It is like having some really nice speakers strapped to your head. But, they are also very comfortable, more so then any other ones I have ever owned including the Sennheiser and Mr. Speakers.

So far really amazed by the Abyss, both sound and quality of construction!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

My buddy dropped the Bryston back off to me today. After several hours of listening to music, BSing, comparing vinyl and digital versions of various albums, and a few, ok more than a few glasses of cognac we decided to check out the Abyss cans with the Bryston... Dam... what a combo... the Bryston headphone amp is as good as it gets... and the Abyss... simply wow...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I really like the Sennheiser Momentum M3 AEBTXL headphones, you can choose wired or wireless connection, wonderful sound and great design.

MrSpeakers Voce on Blue Hawaii Special Edition. Dan also turned me on to some nice Phillips NOS tubes.

At my office I use Focal Utopia balanced with a Violectric V281.

Electrostatic is so precise, dynamic a bit warmer.
    Amplification : Modwright LS300 - Atma-Sphere "Class D" monoblocks
    Digital : MSB Premier DAC+Digital Director, Oppo 203, Sonos Port (W4S mod)
    Analog : Technics SL1200G, Boulder 508
    Speakers : Daedalus Audio Muse Studio
    Headphone : BHSE + Voce

Quote Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post
    MrSpeakers Voce on Blue Hawaii Special Edition. Dan also turned me on to some nice Phillips NOS tubes.

At my office I use Focal Utopia balanced with a Violectric V281.

Electrostatic is so precise, dynamic a bit warmer.
    I just replaced Audeze LCD-4’s with Utopia’s. I loved the sound of the LCD-4’s but the design was poor so far as managing those heavy things. They were always sliding off my head.
    I still have an HD-800 S. I also have the Violectric V281.
    I’m replacing the Utopia’s cable with Nordost Heimdall 2’s. I can share the extension with the Heimdall’s on the HD-800’s.
    Bud<br>

AAVIK: S-280 Streamer, D-280 DAC, I-280 Integrated Amplifier]
    NAIM: Atom HE Headphone Amp, Superlumina Speaker Cables, Power Cables
    HARBETH: 30.2 40th Anniversary Speakers
    FOCAL:: Utopia Headphones
    ANSUZ: C2 Power Cable, A2 Power Distributor, D2 Ethernet Cables, D2 PowerSwitch, D2 Interconnect
    NORDOST: Heimdall 2 Ethernet and Power Cables
    QUADRASPIRE: SVT Equipment Stand
    SKYLAN: Speaker Stands
    UPTONE:Linear Power Supply
    DANACABLE:: Headphone cables

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Headphones, got any favorites?