Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Headphones, got any favorites?

Randy, how you still liking your Abyss? I love the look of the bronze Diana Phi, and that's one headphone brand I don't have in my experience bank but need to try. My damn T2 electrostatic amp is still down argh!

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    I just replaced Audeze LCD-4’s with Utopia’s. I loved the sound of the LCD-4’s but the design was poor so far as managing those heavy things. They were always sliding off my head.
    I still have an HD-800 S. I also have the Violectric V281.
    I’m replacing the Utopia’s cable with Nordost Heimdall 2’s. I can share the extension with the Heimdall’s on the HD-800’s.
    I'm curious how the the Heimdall sounded with the HD -800. Approx. what did the cables cost.

The cable cost $800 and supports both balanced and single ended. An extension is available for around $600 (when I bought mine).

Heimdall's were recommended to me some time ago by my Naim/Focal dealer and by someone who sold me my first Sennheiser HD-800's. I've used them on my HD-800S and LCD-4's.

These are really good cables Clearly better than the OEM cables. My dealer sold me the last one he had in stock and thought Nordost may be discontinuing it as too expensive. They make a less expensive headphone cable but it's not as good.

BTW, all my Ethernet cables are Nordost Heimdall's too.
    Bud<br>

AAVIK: S-280 Streamer, D-280 DAC, I-280 Integrated Amplifier]
    NAIM: Atom HE Headphone Amp, Superlumina Speaker Cables, Power Cables
    HARBETH: 30.2 40th Anniversary Speakers
    FOCAL:: Utopia Headphones
    ANSUZ: C2 Power Cable, A2 Power Distributor, D2 Ethernet Cables, D2 PowerSwitch, D2 Interconnect
    NORDOST: Heimdall 2 Ethernet and Power Cables
    QUADRASPIRE: SVT Equipment Stand
    SKYLAN: Speaker Stands
    UPTONE:Linear Power Supply
    DANACABLE:: Headphone cables

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    The cable cost $800 and supports both balanced and single ended. An extension is available for around $600 (when I bought mine).

Heimdall's were recommended to me some time ago by my Naim/Focal dealer and by someone who sold me my first Sennheiser HD-800's. I've used them on my HD-800S and LCD-4's.

These are really good cables Clearly better than the OEM cables. My dealer sold me the last one he had in stock and thought Nordost may be discontinuing it as too expensive. They make a less expensive headphone cable but it's not as good.

BTW, all my Ethernet cables are Nordost Heimdall's too.
    Thank you for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post
    MrSpeakers Voce on Blue Hawaii Special Edition. Dan also turned me on to some nice Phillips NOS tubes.

At my office I use Focal Utopia balanced with a Violectric V281.

Electrostatic is so precise, dynamic a bit warmer.
    I always thought the Voce would be great for electrostatic. I also had loved what I heard about the Blue Hawaii for a while now. It is what actually got me interested in the HeadAmp amplifiers. Almost got a GS-X Mini if not for the deal I came across on the SimAudio.

I can't do electrostatic though because I wanted a headphone that I could use at home and with my portable. I have two black dragon balanced cables, one 4-pin for the home setup and one using the A&K balanced cable connector for the portable!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

We have this headphone amp on display:

Products

The sound is just off the charts. I’ve heard nothing come close, even the big stuff from WOO.

Only downside is the price! GULP. $10K and you still need a DAC. The new Viva DAC pairs beautifully. I heard this combo in Munich when the Viva DAC was just a prototype.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Products

The sound is just off the charts. I’ve heard nothing come close, even the big stuff from WOO.

Only downside is the price! GULP. $10K and you still need a DAC. The new Viva DAC pairs beautifully. I heard this combo in Munich when the Viva DAC was just a prototype.
    Gulp... but it is still cheaper than the MSB .... Have you compared it to the SimAudio NEO 430HA? I can not imagine a better headphone amp, but then again I have never listened to a $10k or $38k (MSB) headphone amp as of yet .
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Gulp... but it is still cheaper than the MSB .... Have you compared it to the SimAudio NEO 430HA? I can not imagine a better headphone amp, but then again I have never listened to a $10k or $38k (MSB) headphone amp as of yet .
    Nah, haven’t tried the MSB headphone amp. I can imagine it’s great. But this Viva is real sweet too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Nah, haven’t tried the MSB headphone amp. I can imagine it’s great. But this Viva is real sweet too.
    I imagine it is. Have you ever had the SimAudio 430 in the store?

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Really diggin' my Stellias. I thought they would be a high end version of the standard closed HP sound. They go way beyond that. Since they're actually "ported" they sound more similar to an open HP than you would expect. They're an excellent HP. Especially for quiet listening. Very highly detailed and well balanced. Nice, tight, clean bass. Gorgeous midrange and top end. Killer SQ over all. Couldn't be happier with them.

Then there's the NAIM UnitiAtom HE amp/streamer/server/music player that I use with the Stellias. Incredible piece. But that's a whole other thread.
    Amplifier: Pass Labs INT 250 integrated.

DAC/Streamer: MSB Discrete Dual Power Supply.

Server: Roon Nucleus with lifetime subscription.

Speakers: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary
    Model.

Headphones/Amp: Focal Stellia phones, NAIM Uniti Atom Headphone Edition headphone amp/music player/server/streamer.

Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cables,
    Mackenzie interconnects.

Speaker Stands: HiFi Man.

Products

Yep $10k is a little steep. Looks cool though
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I have a hard time thinking that I could do any better than my Woo WA22, but then again for $10k it better smoke my Woo.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

HeadAmp GS-X Mini is simply amazing. It definitely has some heritage on its side being the baby brother of the Blue Hawaii. In my view the best headphone amplifier I personally have heard, and they are under $2000!

I will be using my Abyss Diana Phi's with the HeadAmp and using my new HifiMan Ananda with the Astell&Kern portable. The HifiMan cans arrived yesterday. I wanted to get a much less expensive headphone to carry with me for portable use, to work, etc., for use with my portable player. I have not been feeling comfortable carrying my really expensive Abyss with me to work every day.

The Ananda's are physically larger than my Diana Phi's however they are a bit lighter. They are also more efficient and therefore the portable does not have to drive as hard to get to acceptable volume levels. They also seem to be very comfortable. I have had them on for an hour now and barely realize I have an over the ear headphone on. The Ananda are surprisingly good, especially for the price. They retail for $999, but can usually be found for about $699 (I got a really good deal from HeadAmp and used a coupon Justin gave me with my new GS-X Mini amplifier to make them even a better deal!). I was able to get them into the Abyss canvas bag that comes with the Diana, although it is a fairly tight fit. All in all I think this will work out good and allow me to keep my Abyss at home and not worry about them getting damaged carrying them every day for portable use.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Headphones, got any favorites?