Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

From Cadenza Black to A95...

I recently acquired an Ortofon A95 cartridge to replace my Ortofon Cadenza Black. I wasn't in the market for a new cartridge. In fact, the CB is a great sounding cart that I have been very much enjoying. The CB has a clean and open presentation that reveals the music in the grooves with confidence and clarity while being on the slightly more revealing side of neutral. (It is the yin to the Cadenza Bronze's slightly warmish yang.) I've been very satisfied with the CB to the extent that I haven't seriously thought about replacing it until now. So why the change? Well, I came upon a screaming deal for the A95 that was just too good to pass on. (By the way, feel free to skip down to the Listening Impressions sections below if you just want the summary.)

After having heard the A95 is various setups over the years (particularly those with VPI turntables), reading the very well written reviews by Andre Jennings (Absolute Sound) and Myles Astor (Positive Feedback), and knowing Ortofon cartridges to be consistently strong performers across the board, I decided to take the plunge. As you can see in my signature below, my vinyl rig consists of a VPI Classic 3 turntable with Classic 3 tonearm------> Nordost Valhalla tonearm cable terminated with XLR connections on both ends------> ASR Basis Exclusive phono preamp. Wireworld Gold Eclipse XLR interconnects lead out from the ASR to the linestage. The VPI Classic 3 (now called Classic Signature) is known to be a bold and assertive table. I've read it described as the "American muscle car of turntables," which I think is an apt description. So I had a slight concern that combining the A95 with it might be too much of a good thing. Otherwise, I was eager to get the A95 in my system and hear what more than twice the MSRP ($2,730 vs. $6,500) would give me from an Ortofon perspective.

Though I've done some cartridge installation with lesser cartridges before, I decided to have the A95 professionally installed by Scott Dalzell at Viva Hifi here in the DC area. Initially, I decided on a VTF of 2.38 during the break-in stage of about 50 hours or so. I loaded the cartridge at 95 ohms, just shy of the recommended 100.

Music: While I listened to a lot of different music during this time, I particularly listened to the following for setup and evaluation--

1) The Stanley Clarke Trio (with Hiromi and Lenny White)- Jazz In the Garden; tracks: Isotope, Bass Folk Song No. 5 & 6.
    * Chosen to test bass response and groove distortion. This Heads Up (Telarc) pressing exhibits quite a bit of groove distortion with the CB.

2) Laurel Masse- Alone Together; tracks: Alone Together, Body and Soul.
    * Chosen for female voice and tracking ability. The spindle hole is off-center, so the record does not rotate symmetrically.

3) Loose Ends- Zagora; tracks: the entire album.
    * 80s electronica-funk dance music with very high musicianship. Chosen to test ability to image while holding the musical portrait together.

4) Thad Jones- The Magnificent Thad Jones; tracks April in Paris, Billie-Doo.
    * Chosen to test ability on mono recordings.

5) Gregory Porter- Liquid Spirit; tracks: I Fall In Love Too Easily, Time is Ticking, Water Under Bridges (Rubato Version).
    * Chosen to test how black the background is during quiet passages.

Initial listening impressions: Wow! While I expected some improvement, I didn't expect this much and certainly not so immediately! As I said above, the CB is a great cartridge, but the A95 is substantially better is every way you can measure. It presents a wider and deeper soundstage (not an easy thing in my 11.5' x 19.5' x 8' room), it images better, micro-dynamics are presented with more clarity and ease, and the entire presentation has more body and presence. And this was what I heard from the very beginning! In particular, the A95's assured presentation of spacial cues improved the overall flow of the music. If I was to use one word to characterize the A95, it would be dynamic. Although it plays softer and quieter music with finesse when called upon, this is not a cart for those who want a laid-back presentation. The one (minor) criticism of the A95 in the early hours of break-in was that if anything it was too bold at times with certain albums, but I attributed some of that to the initial gain setting in the ASR (66db) and the slightly heavy initial VTF. Since I'm running balanced from the cartridge all the way through to the amps (the ASR phono pre is designed to operate that way) and my Cary SLP-05 is a high gain preamp, I could back off the gain despite the A95's 0.2 output voltage. After some tinkering, I eventually set it at 52db, which was much more ideal in my system.

After 50 hours or so: At this point, the VTF was adjusted to 2.26. That adjustment removed any remaining over-aggressiveness that the A95 had displayed during the first 20-30 hours of play. The music is now presented with a more self-assured ease without losing any of the dynamics or weight. The bass is more articulate. And micro-details and spacial cues are not spotlit or presented in a show-off manner (not that they were before), but as part of the musical whole that just flows better. The CB certainly does not produce a flat presentation, but with the A95 the music is just fuller and therefore more realistic sounding.

To put it in another context, the A95 is the first component that I have changed within the same brand that improves upon the previous component in every way possible. I've had 3 previous Cary preamps before the SLP-05, 2 previous pairs of Martin Logan speakers, and 2 previous Cary DACs/Disc players. None of my current successors comprehensively improved upon those previous components like the A95 does compared to the CB. Even the SLP-05, an all-time great tube preamp, only equals the bass slam of the SLP-2002. The CB is an exceptional major leaguer that is an occasional All-Star. The A95 is a perennial All-Star that will receive strong HOF consideration when all is said and done. I'll post more listening impressions after 100 hours or so, but make no mistake, it has already exceeded my expectations. Ortofon has hit a grand slam with the A95.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Re: From Cadenza Black to A95...

Reserved for later comment.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Attached Images Attached Images
    Anthony

I apologize for the sideways orientation of the pic, but I can't figure out how to fix it.
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    I apologize for the sideways orientation of the pic, but I can't figure out how to fix it.
    Anthony.......Here you go.

I have the Ortofon Cadenza Black installed on my Michell Gyro SE with an SME 309 toneam. It is an excellent performer, but I must admit your comments above have piqued my interest. Nice initial review during break-in.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Dan, thanks for the comments and for fixing the pic. I have been really surprised at the performance gap, since the CB is such a great cartridge in its own right. I think Andre Jennings (Dre J) said in his Absolute Sound review that the A95 combines the best of the Anna and the A90. While I haven't had either of those carts in my system, what I'm hearing would certainly confirm that statement based on what I've heard from those carts in other systems over the years. To say I'm very pleased with the A95 would be understating it.
    Anthony

Anthony,

Congrats on the purchase! The A95 is indeed a stellar performer, and it took an Air Tight Opus 1 (more than twice as expensive) to beat it, IME...

One thing you can try, once the cart has a few more hours, is to load it wide open at 47k. I've found out it increases treble energy, and also improves ambience retrieval, so soundstaging improves quite a bit too.

cheers,
    alex

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Anthony,

Congrats on the purchase! The A95 is indeed a stellar performer, and it took an Air Tight Opus 1 (more than twice as expensive) to beat it, IME...

One thing you can try, once the cart has a few more hours, is to load it wide open at 47k. I've found out it increases treble energy, and also improves ambience retrieval, so soundstaging improves quite a bit too.

cheers,
    alex
    Alex, thanks for the tip. I will try it and report back.
    Anthony

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Congrats Anthony!!

I have a question. I'm currently using a Cadenza Black on my VPI Avenger,and I'm in love with the sound.

One of the things I love about the CB is that it's the quietest tracking cartridge I've ever owned.

Does the A95 track as quiet as the Cadenza Black?
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Congrats Anthony!!

I have a question. I'm currently using a Cadenza Black on my VPI Avenger,and I'm in love with the sound.

One of the things I love about the CB is that it's the quietest tracking cartridge I've ever owned.

Does the A95 track as quiet as the Cadenza Black?
    Thanks, Mark. I think the A95 tracks a bit quieter than the CB, but not by a huge margin. As you note, the CB is a quiet tracker in its own right, but the A95 does track a bit better. As I note in my review, one of the albums I used for evaluation was The Stanley Clarke Trio-Jazz In the Garden. It is a Heads Up (Telarc) pressing, but I’ve always gotten more groove distortion from it than other 180g recent pressings. It is noticeably quieter with the A95, but the distortion is still there. Fault the album, not the carts.
    Anthony

Thanks Anthony,
    I am looking at upgrading my cartridge also. Scott is a great guy and dealer I will have to get in touch with him. Sounds like a nice move up.
    Have you ever been to the DC HiFi Group meeting?
    PSB Imagine T3, LKV Phono, VPI Scout, Trans Fi Terminator Tone Arm, PS Audio BHK Signature Pre, PS Audio DMP - DS JR, Acoustic Imgaery Atsah 500 Mono Amps, Wireworld Eclipse 7 cables

Quote Originally Posted by jtsnead77 View Post
    Thanks Anthony,
    I am looking at upgrading my cartridge also. Scott is a great guy and dealer I will have to get in touch with him. Sounds like a nice move up.
    Have you ever been to the DC HiFi Group meeting?
    No, but I plan to in the future. My other rabbit hole hobby, cycling, tends to get in the way of attending.
    Anthony

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

From Cadenza Black to A95...