Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

ARC Ref 6 problem

I bought a brand new ARC Ref 6 few weeks ago, it work great in the first 2 weeks (operated about 20 to 25 n these 2 weeks), then I'm unable to switch on the power (By using both the power on/ off button on the panel and remote controller). What I need to do is to plug out my power cable off the wall, wait for about 40 seconds to 1 minute then plug it back the wall again. By doing this I can switch on my Ref 6, and now I need to do it eveyrtime when I listen to music. Until now I already use it about 100 hours. The sound quality is great, it can operate for long time without automatic power-off (eveytime I use it 2 to 4 hours). There is no problem of my home's voltage (220 V). And I have many audio equipment in my home which also use 220 ~ 230V but don't have this problem.

My Ref 6's backside show 220 - 240V, the quality inspection certificate show 220 - 240V as well, but the box show 240V ?! I live in an area which use 220V (or 220V to 230V), I guess maybe this Ref 6 is originally trade to UK or other country which use 240V voltage. And I guess this Ref 6 is pre-set to 240V +/ - I0% or 230V +/ - 10%, that why I have this problem. What problem you think it is? Do you think this problem can be easy to fixed by experienced audio equipment repair service company.? THX

Re: ARC Ref 6 problem

I would advise you to contact ARC directly on: service@audioresearch.com and see with them how to handle this issue as it does not seem normal (far from that) unfortunately.

I hope you solve it fast and without too much pain.

Cheers;
    G
    LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

Sounds like when you are powering it down the Unit is going into a serge protect or tripped state, many things could cause that, I have seen a similar issue to do with the earthing of the house power.

First point should be to contact ARC and I would also take the unit to a friends house and test it.
    Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)

Sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your pre-amp. I am enjoying my new to me ARC; a much lower model. Really liking it!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

As I was sharing all my good experiences with ARC (and there were many of those) I would also like to share for me a very negative and frustrating one. As mentioned above I've been swapping ARC gear for many years and during those years I managed to slowly but surely climb the ladder starting with VSi55, VS110, VS115, Ref75 and LS2b, LS16mk2 and finally Ref6. I have to state that with none of components I ever had a slightest problem, not even a glitch with a tube. And so the story comes to the latest part of my puzzle for which I was dreaming to have all along, starting with older brothers Ref3, Ref5 and Ref5se. I managed to somehow get the famous Ref6 which to me was a dream come true preamp. It sounds great (when it works), looks even better in my book, but the issues with it or with its volume control are just too much for me to comprehend. Namely several months ago one channel stopped working so I took it to service center and it took them almost a month to repair it. By the way, Swiss importer of ARC is a complete joke, so thanks god it landed in hands of the person who was/is servicing ARC gear for decades. Anyhow, he did the job perfectly and while picking up the preamp he showed me (while smiling) the volume pot in this 17k€ unit consisting of 4 DS1808 ICs costing in total 18€(https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS1808.pdf). I was honestly shocked by this fact but was kind of in the mode of being happy as i was able to enjoy my system again. At that time I did not loudly complain to anybody. Few months after (sort of last week) almost the same crap with volume control happened, this time both channels working but left channel being more than 3dB louder than the right one. Again dismantle everything, travel for 400km to leave the unit for service and the guy is in the state of shock. He was like - I honestly can't believe what and how they've implemented as a solution in a unit of this price tag, but this time I'm ordering many more of this ICs and volume control PCBs as I foresee many units coming in my direction in the future. Me, as I am, or actually was, a faithfull ARC fan can also not believe how the ARC can allow this to themselves. This is a complete shame and to me I'm more and more getting a feeling that ARC despite the marketing mambo jambo is turning into a "big" FMCG company. As the funds for this hobby are not falling from the sky I'm more than seriously considering dumping the ARC ship and going somewhere where they treat their customers as human beings not only as numbers on P&L sheet. So I guess I'll be soon saying Stavros (Aries Cerat) or Thomas Mayer here I come...
    Uber frustrated ARC owner...��

I am sorry to hear about your experience with the ARC Ref 6 preamp. At its considerable price point, I would have zero tolerance for anything less than perfect reliability. If you get a chance, do try out an Accuphase integrated or class A power amp. I can personally vouch for the bullet proof reliability and excellent sonics of Accuphase gear.
    Anshul

Quote Originally Posted by Golum View Post
    As I was sharing all my good experiences with ARC (and there were many of those) I would also like to share for me a very negative and frustrating one. As mentioned above I've been swapping ARC gear for many years and during those years I managed to slowly but surely climb the ladder starting with VSi55, VS110, VS115, Ref75 and LS2b, LS16mk2 and finally Ref6. I have to state that with none of components I ever had a slightest problem, not even a glitch with a tube. And so the story comes to the latest part of my puzzle for which I was dreaming to have all along, starting with older brothers Ref3, Ref5 and Ref5se. I managed to somehow get the famous Ref6 which to me was a dream come true preamp. It sounds great (when it works), looks even better in my book, but the issues with it or with its volume control are just too much for me to comprehend. Namely several months ago one channel stopped working so I took it to service center and it took them almost a month to repair it. By the way, Swiss importer of ARC is a complete joke, so thanks god it landed in hands of the person who was/is servicing ARC gear for decades. Anyhow, he did the job perfectly and while picking up the preamp he showed me (while smiling) the volume pot in this 17k€ unit consisting of 4 DS1808 ICs costing in total 18€(https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS1808.pdf). I was honestly shocked by this fact but was kind of in the mode of being happy as i was able to enjoy my system again. At that time I did not loudly complain to anybody. Few months after (sort of last week) almost the same crap with volume control happened, this time both channels working but left channel being more than 3dB louder than the right one. Again dismantle everything, travel for 400km to leave the unit for service and the guy is in the state of shock. He was like - I honestly can't believe what and how they've implemented as a solution in a unit of this price tag, but this time I'm ordering many more of this ICs and volume control PCBs as I foresee many units coming in my direction in the future. Me, as I am, or actually was, a faithfull ARC fan can also not believe how the ARC can allow this to themselves. This is a complete shame and to me I'm more and more getting a feeling that ARC despite the marketing mambo jambo is turning into a "big" FMCG company. As the funds for this hobby are not falling from the sky I'm more than seriously considering dumping the ARC ship and going somewhere where they treat their customers as human beings not only as numbers on P&L sheet. So I guess I'll be soon saying Stavros (Aries Cerat) or Thomas Mayer here I come...
    Uber frustrated ARC owner...��

I bought my Ref 6 brand new and it has worked flawlessly. Ditto for the Ref 5SE I owned prior to the Ref 6.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I bought my Ref 6 brand new and it has worked flawlessly. Ditto for the Ref 5SE I owned prior to the Ref 6.
    Same goes for me up till now...

Interesting thread this...

I bought a Ref150se with a black cover- 400 hrs on the clock. Via the local agent I ordered a silver cover at considerable cost. However when I queried with ARC why the silver cover does not fit, ARC tells me the amp must have fallen and I must follow this up with the seller !! I complained to ARC about the absurd logic and ARC fails to respond....

Mmm, this was meant to be my dream system build.

The local Arc agent has kindly offered to try and resolve it.. if he does a Ref10 is next, if he makes no progress...Emm labs is beginning to look mighty attractive..

Quote Originally Posted by Jozua View Post
    Interesting thread this...

I bought a Ref150se with a black cover- 400 hrs on the clock. Via the local agent I ordered a silver cover at considerable cost. However when I queried with ARC why the silver cover does not fit, ARC tells me the amp must have fallen and I must follow this up with the seller !! I complained to ARC about the absurd logic and ARC fails to respond....

Mmm, this was meant to be my dream system build.

The local Arc agent has kindly offered to try and resolve it.. if he does a Ref10 is next, if he makes no progress...Emm labs is beginning to look mighty attractive..
    Is there obvious damage to your Ref 150SE? Can you see why the new cover won't fit but the old one does?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Is there obvious damage to your Ref 150SE? Can you see why the new cover won't fit but the old one does?
    Zero damage to the amp. The cardboard box is also immaculate with no dents.

My impression is the base plate was not bend exactly at 90 degrees and black steel cover was custom made to fit.

The amp sounds brilliant but at this price point my expectation is that silver cover must fit perfectly.

I am in the same boat as Golum- poor post sales product support. If I was in the USA I would have driven to ARC but I am halfway around the globe - pretty much a helpless situation to be in for international customers.

I am not keen on a speedy ARC divorce but the seeds have been sown.

When you compare one cover to the other, what is different?

When you compare one cover to the other, what is different?

I post a pic later which should explain it all.

My apologies to the OP - it not my intention to hi-jack his thread - but we both seem to be unhappy customers who would love a to have their issues resolved versus being ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by MM622 View Post
    I bought a brand new ARC Ref 6 few weeks ago, it work great in the first 2 weeks (operated about 20 to 25 n these 2 weeks), then I'm unable to switch on the power (By using both the power on/ off button on the panel and remote controller). What I need to do is to plug out my power cable off the wall, wait for about 40 seconds to 1 minute then plug it back the wall again. By doing this I can switch on my Ref 6, and now I need to do it eveyrtime when I listen to music. Until now I already use it about 100 hours. The sound quality is great, it can operate for long time without automatic power-off (eveytime I use it 2 to 4 hours). There is no problem of my home's voltage (220 V). And I have many audio equipment in my home which also use 220 ~ 230V but don't have this problem.

My Ref 6's backside show 220 - 240V, the quality inspection certificate show 220 - 240V as well, but the box show 240V ?! I live in an area which use 220V (or 220V to 230V), I guess maybe this Ref 6 is originally trade to UK or other country which use 240V voltage. And I guess this Ref 6 is pre-set to 240V +/ - I0% or 230V +/ - 10%, that why I have this problem. What problem you think it is? Do you think this problem can be easy to fixed by experienced audio equipment repair service company.? THX
    ARC units are manufactured for two voltages, 110 - 120 and 220-240. Fine voltage labeling in the box is made according to the country to be shipped, do not worry about it.

Erratic behavior of such features is normally due to transients in the mains, sometimes caused by nearby equipment. I had trouble with REF40 that was solved with a decent power distributor. Watch for lighting systems - LEDs and CFCs can be very noisy.

It is a known audio design problem - excessive mains filtering can affect sound quality, but digital control sections of analog equipment are susceptible to mains noise interference, such as transient spikes. The designers must balance the different susceptibilities.

Zero damage to the amp. The cardboard box is also immaculate with no dents.

My impression is the base plate was not bend exactly at 90 degrees and black steel cover was custom made to fit.

The amp sounds brilliant but at this price point my expectation is that silver cover must fit perfectly.

I am in the same boat as Golum- poor post sales product support. If I was in the USA I would have driven to ARC but I am halfway around the globe - pretty much a helpless situation to be in for international customers.

I am not keen on a speedy ARC divorce but the seeds have been sown.
    I have answered to Golum post is another forum, I will not re-post it here. However, IMHO this problem should be solved by the country distributor - he is your interface person with ARC. He wins money selling the amplifier and should support you. Living in Europe, it is how it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    I have answered to Golum post is another forum, I will not re-post it here. However, IMHO this problem should be solved by the country distributor - he is your interface person with ARC. He wins money selling the amplifier and should support you. Living in Europe, it is how it works for me.
    I'm fully with you here! But can you imagine ARC appointing a distributor who appoints an official service center where you take your gear (being in warranty or not is not important) and this service center does not have a slightest clue how to repair your device so it sends it on their own to the guy who knows...to me that is not normal and down the line ARC mistake/problem...but I won't complain anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    I got a call today- the local ARC rep and ARC are working on a possible solution !!

I got a call today- the local ARC rep and ARC are working on a possible solution !!

Finally, I return my Ref 6 to the seller and receive my money back because they have no Ref 6 stock. Two months later, I bought a mint condition used Ref 6 from my friend which has just used about one year. For sure there is no power-on problem anymore on this Ref 6, but the same problem I have found is the volume is very loud (Gain). I just use 18 ~ 20 volume in most of the CD then it is loud enough. I feedback this to ARC, and their customer service's reply is:

Quote:
    The Ref 6 sounds loud to us here in the U.S.A. as well. It is rare that we turn ours up past 18. I will pass your feedback engineering group so that it can be addressed so that it can be addressed in the future products. I'm sorry we do not have a way to adjust it in your Ref 6. Unquote

Just some quick feedback: I received a brand new Ref 150se cover from ARC last week. Absolutely free. Very impressed with the service as this was a transatlantic gift at considerable cost to ARC.

The local ARC agent ( http://www.esotericaudio.co.za/ ) went out of his way to make it happen. Much appreciated.

It fits better and most importantly- I am a happy customer !

Just some quick feedback: I received a brand new Ref 150se cover from ARC last week. Absolutely free. Very impressed with the service as this was a transatlantic gift at considerable cost to ARC.

The local ARC agent ( http://www.esotericaudio.co.za/ ) went out of his way to make it happen. Much appreciated.

It fits better and most importantly- I am a happy customer !
    Very happy for you!! Enjoy it!
    I've also picked up mine from the service this weekend. Entire volume board was replaced (no free gift) and at least I can enjoy my system again. What I can say is that the board which arrived from ARC has some additional components on it vs. my original one so I would appreciate if someone could take a picture of this board in his Ref6.

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers;
    G

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

ARC Ref 6 problem