Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Banned

ESOTERIC D-02 DA............Wheres the love??

I've been a happy owner of the D-02 for a few years now.
    Incredible build and sounds wonderful.
    Thought I would try to sell it now, and move on to something newer.
    WOW - never thought selling this unit would be so difficult.
    I believe Retail was $23500, but I cannot get any interest even at my asking price of $8200.
    That's getting close to 70% off the new price?

Any thoughts besides the obvious, lower the price??

Re: ESOTERIC D-02 DA............Wheres the love??

Say thank you to esoteric that releases new improved products very often. This along kills the value a lot.
    Month ago I bought new esoteric k-01x and last week they announced new K0-1xs.
    Also competition from the other brands that provide with less costly products that sound great as well.

Bringing new, more expensive models to the market too often does nothing but erode resale value and brand worth/recognition long term. It's not just Esoteric but quite a few others that are no longer thinking along the lines of protecting the brand values and pride of ownership of a not so inexpensive investment.

Unfortunately in the eyes of many prospective buyers a few years of age in digital gear is considered to be a lifetime. Despite the rapid advances in digital circuitry there are some vintage DAC designs that are considered classics. However the used market for digital gear over a few thousand bucks is further limited since there are now new options in that range which many believe outperform older models.

Digital components, unfortunately, will always have worse resale value. Technology is always improving and what was SOTA 3 years ago can be offered today by some other brand at much cheaper prices.
    If you are willing not to be at the leading edge of digital technology, you can find great sounding (used) digital components at a mere fraction of its original cost. That’s a lesson I learned after being burned a few times for being a first adopter.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Unfortunately in the eyes of many prospective buyers a few years of age in digital gear is considered to be a lifetime. Despite the rapid advances in digital circuitry there are some vintage DAC designs that are considered classics. However the used market for digital gear over a few thousand bucks is further limited since there are now new options in that range which many believe outperform older models.
    Agreed. I have said this before numerous times, but digital gear ages in dog years.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

A good old DAC is still a good DAC. Forget about the resale value of the D-02, just keep it.

It is a fantastic DAC, I own one for several years now....resale value if lucky seems to be $7500-$8000.
    Legacy Audio Valor+Wavelet v2, Esoteric S-02 Amps HDPlex 300W, RevAudio Labs DC Umbilical, Esoteric Grandioso P1, P1PSU & dual D1 DACs, Cybershaft Prem Ltd OP21A 10 MHz Clock, Esoteric C-02X, Shunyata Everest 8000 & Altaira SG-NR hubs, Sigma SGC/CGC ground cables, VTX-Ag ground tails, AfterBurner8 duplexes, CSP Inc Q4B, S2B IEC plates, Shunyata Omega CLOCK-50 cables, Tubulus Concentus HDMI, Elrod Master Series Diamond SE & Masters Series Gold Power cords and Statement Gold XLRs, Diamond XLRs & Master Series Diamond XLRs, Shunyata OMEGA QR-s power cable, Anaconda Z-tron XLR, Elrod Statement Gold speaker cables, Adona Zero GX3, GX2, GX racks, Composite Audio CF-2010, Townshend Audio Podiums, HRS DPX Damping Plates, Stillpoints Ultra SS w/Ultra Bases, pArtScience 64-well, 2D QRD 3-inch SpaceArray Diffusors

Travel/Rip: Apple MacBook Pro 16” 2023 M2 Max, 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD for Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, REW Audio Analyzer, dbPowerAmp, DVD Audio Extractor

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

ESOTERIC D-02 DA............Wheres the love??