Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Streaming to Ayre QX-5 Twenty

Just installed an Ayre QX-5 Twenty digital hub, and have in mind a special usage. Instead of streaming from Roon to it, I'd like to establish a network session between it and my Macbook so that I could send music from whatever I might be hearing on my Macbook to it. Both devices are on the network, of course, and I'd like to treat the QX-5 in the same fashion as you would if you had a network printer, and sent a document to be printed to it.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Re: Streaming to Ayre QX-5 Twenty

See if you can use AirPlay.

(I regularly test iPad YouTube AirPlay before releasing firmware.)
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    See if you can use AirPlay.

(I regularly test iPad YouTube AirPlay before releasing firmware.)
    A quick search of the manual shows no indication of AirPlay support. I guess it could be undocumented.

You could get a Bluetooth adapter that you can physically connect to an input of the Ayre. Then you stream via Bluetooth from the PC to the adapter. Devices like these are used to play music from a mobile phone to a car stereo that lack BT. Just a thought.

If you are using an Apple Airport as your router, you could send files to the Airport via Airplay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

The digital network board in the Ayre comes from Conversdigital the same as the Bridge II from PS Audio. According to it's spec sheet it does have AirPlay capability.

http://www.conversdigital.com/
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

It looks like an Airport Express will receive audio from a Macbook via AirPlay. From what I can tell, it has a USB output on the back which I can pipe into the QX-5 via appropriate cable with adapters. It advertises that

How Does AirPlay Work and What Audio Format Is Used?
    To stream digital music over Wi-Fi, AirPlay uses the RTSP protocol—Real Time Streaming Protocol. The Apple Lossless audio codec is used over the UDP transport layer protocol to stream two audio channels at 44100 hertz.
    The audio data is scrambled by the AirPlay server device, which uses a private key-based encryption system.

If this is correct, then I should be able to get 44.1KHz channels. This may be worth a try, and is not a lot of money.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Good call; the Conversdigital board does have AirPlay capability. I'm guessing that an Ethernet cable from the Airport Express to the Ethernet input of the QX-5 would get the job done. However, this might also disable any use of the QX-5 as a Roon endpoint. What about using the USB output of the Airport Express to one of the other inputs of the QX-5?

Thanks

If the board has Airplay capability your Mac should be able to identify it as an Airplay device, unless some functionalities are disabled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

It may as I think the board is the Roon endpoint not the DAC. I think just using Airplay instead of the Airport express would be easier and cheaper plus sound the same. Like Peter said try it before you buy anything else.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I used the Bridge II with Airplay and Spotify before it was integrated into the app first of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by DayRadebaugh View Post
    It looks like an Airport Express will receive audio from a Macbook via AirPlay. From what I can tell, it has a USB output on the back which I can pipe into the QX-5 via appropriate cable with adapters. It advertises that

How Does AirPlay Work and What Audio Format Is Used?
    To stream digital music over Wi-Fi, AirPlay uses the RTSP protocol—Real Time Streaming Protocol. The Apple Lossless audio codec is used over the UDP transport layer protocol to stream two audio channels at 44100 hertz.
    The audio data is scrambled by the AirPlay server device, which uses a private key-based encryption system.

If this is correct, then I should be able to get 44.1KHz channels. This may be worth a try, and is not a lot of money.

Many thanks for the suggestions.
    Here is a summary:
    You want to be able to play music from your phone/tablet/MacBook. For that you have two options: Airplay (an Apple proprietary product) or Bluetooth.

Airplay can go CD quality. Bluetooth cannot. Neither one of those two options will give you the ability to play hi -rez files. You get convenience but not the best sound quality available.

To play files via Airplay you would have to purchase an Apple Airport Express router and physically connect it to the Ayre. Cost: $99 for the router plus cost of a iPhone/iPad/MacBook (you may already own them) plus cost of the cable.

To play files via Bluetooth you would need an adapter that would cost less than $20. Any phone/tablet/computer should work.

It's certainly cheaper. But at 44.1Khz, would it sound as good as Roon high-res downloads?

In any case, I like the plan, and am going to give it a whirl.

Thanks, and will let you know.

That's an accurate, and extremely useful summary, particularly the remarks about cost vs. quality. I suspect that the two approaches are complementary. I'll listen to Tidal, likely, via the Ethernet port, and listen to Macbook music via Airplay using a different input port on the QX-5.

I'll be glad to have both options, frankly. I know that streaming services can supply hi-rez music, but I'm dubious about the selection available to me on their catalog. The other option will give me a broader spectrum, possibly.

This discussion has been enlightening to me for a particular reason, among others. These streaming hubs all seem to be advertised as Roon capable, and the customer naturally concludes they have to sign up with a streaming service. Apparently not true, and this is worthwhile information for the customer.

Many thanks.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team