Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Do you use an integrated in your main system?

And if so, what are you using?

Or, could you be content with “just” an integrated?

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Do you use an integrated in your main system?

I tell ya Joe, I've been looking at Quicksilvers new integrated for my office system http://quicksilveraudio.com/products...ted-amplifier/
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audioshark

Absolutely. For me, a Diablo 300, T+A PA3100HV, Luxman 509 or Pass INT-250 would fit the bill. Maybe the Luxman 590 too, but I don't know until I get it.

Integrated amps have come a LONG way.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

main system uses an almarro a318b -- i don't adhere to any orthodoxy in terms of integrated or preAmp/amp; however, there is nothing that would make me give up the almarro. it can and will outperform anything i could put into the system. i just love this amp and it is a beloved family member.

unfortunately, i think this company has ceased operation... fortunately, the amp is hand wired and if needed can be serviced for the foreseeable future.

so, yes i could be content with "just" an integrated...

...and, if i had to start over i would at least begin with looking at an integrated -- just a more elegant system and modern examples can be crazy good.

If I could afford the T+A or Gryphon, yes I would be content. Alas, I have to feed the kids every day and have to wait. Lol

I use an Integrated in my tertiary system, but it's nothing earth shattering. I was shopping around earlier for Integrateds to replace my main system but as of now have not come up with anything in my price range that blows away what I have.

System with Integrated is-

Rotel RX-1052
    OPPO93 with Groneberg ICs
    JM Labs Tantal 509s

I get really good sound as the speakers sit inside larger openings of built in cabinets on the sides of my fireplace.

When I finally move and downsize, I will be looking again for an Integrated for the main system.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Absolutely. For me, a Diablo 300, T+A PA3100HV, Luxman 509 or Pass INT-250 would fit the bill. Maybe the Luxman 590 too, but I don't know until I get it.

Integrated amps have come a LONG way.
    So far out of my price range , I might as well buy a new vette instead of course Joe never mentioned price But I tell ya the Pass Int-60 is an awesome integrated
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Super Moderator

I guess I’d say under 10K but am a little flexible. I’d like to downsize from a full blown system but need to demo the Luxman M900u before committing to anything. I have a feeling the 900 combo will be killer but love the simplicity of an integrated.

I miss my Naim Supernait 2 with Hicap, especially with the Harbeth 30.1. That was an oh so musical system. Now that the 30.2 anniversary are out, I might have to revisit them.

I’m using my Job INTegrated now and loving the freedom it’s giving me. I’m focused on the music more and not the gear. I know it sounds crazy but a lot of my listening is low to medium level and this little thing sounds awesome. The DAC inside sounds great too. Too bad the monos are no longer in production but I’m hoping that’s temporary.

I love the Pass gear but heat is a concern for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    So far out of my price range , I might as well buy a new vette instead of course Joe never mentioned price But I tell ya the Pass Int-60 is an awesome integrated
    Last edited by joeinid; February 12, 2018 at 11:33 AM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Integrateds make a lot of sense to me - they save money and space but still can be such a treat to listen to. Units like the SN2 show that. Separates and monos one day, yes. But one shouldn’t feel “cheated” with an integrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Super Moderator

Well said Sean.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I guess I’d say under 10K but am a little flexible. I’d like to downsize from a full blown system but need to demo the Luxman M900u before committing to anything. I have a feeling the 900 combo will be killer but love the simplicity of an integrated.

I miss my Naim Supernait 2 with Hicap, especially with the Harbeth 30.1. That was an oh so musical system. Now that the 30.2 anniversary are out, I might have to revisit them.

I’m using my Job INTegrated now and loving the freedom it’s giving me. I’m focused on the music more and not the gear. I know it sounds crazy but a lot of my listening is low to medium level and this little thing sounds awesome. The DAC inside sounds great too. Too bad the monos are no longer in production but I’m hoping that’s temporary.

I love the Pass gear but heat is a concern for me.
    The heat, of yes I moved my xa30 out of my office felt like I was in a sauna, and put my old Vincent back in its place , I've never heard a Supernait2 but the reviews are always complementary

I am currently switching between three integrateds here at the moment. Two I own, one I have on trial but will probably end up buying. I agree with Sean there is no need to feel short changed with an integrated these days, there are some stellar examples out there and not all require a mortgage to own.

It's out of the $10,000 price but the Diablo 300 is a great piece.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Diablo 300 all the way. If too expensive perhaps try the Diablo 120 (I tried it: awesome) or the Pass INT-60.
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Yes to OP.

The ASR Emitter II is easily the best amplifier - tube vs. ss - preamp & amp vs. integrated - that I have ever heard. It is an integrated, but so much more.

Sadly, the US marketing is non existent, as well as easily available warranty service. Fortunately, I have never needed it.

If I had not discovered it at a very attractive price (when compared to new retail), I would never have purchased it even though it's the best I've heard.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

+1

Another happy Job INT owner here.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    I am currently switching between three integrateds here at the moment. Two I own, one I have on trial but will probably end up buying. I agree with Sean there is no need to feel short changed with an integrated these days, there are some stellar examples out there and not all require a mortgage to own.
    extremely interested in your thoughts and which ones you have tried . my dealer wants me to try a thrax enyo valve which apparently is a stunning amp but a] its expensive b] its not that well known yet and in my experince that makes it very hard to resell when you upgrade

http://www.thrax.bg/Enyo.php

modwright kwi200 seems a very good value amp and has home theatre bypass which is good if we are talking integrated systems . pass int 60 is about double the price but extremely popular it seems
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

I have nothing against integrated approach. A well designed integrated can be just as satisfying as separates. Using a PrimaLuna Dialog HP integrated which sings beautifully with the Harbeth 30.2. My next addition will also be an integrated. I've owned more separates than integrated in my life but I seem to be more drawn to a good quality integrated for the elegance of simplicity and less clutter.

Gryphon Diablo 300. I think it would be difficult to duplicate what it does for me in my system for close to the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    Yes to OP.

The ASR Emitter II is easily the best amplifier - tube vs. ss - preamp & amp vs. integrated - that I have ever heard. It is an integrated, but so much more.

Sadly, the US marketing is non existent, as well as easily available warranty service. Fortunately, I have never needed it.

If I had not discovered it at a very attractive price (when compared to new retail), I would never have purchased it even though it's the best I've heard.
    This it

https://www.stereophile.com/integrat...asr/index.html

DSkip

Most of the products I stock are integrateds and darn fine at that. My TOTL unit is the Evolution 845:

For an office, I'm thinking the new MastersounD BoX will be a GREAT solution. 35 watts of single ended goodness for a mere $3,000, including phono and remote:

Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator

Drool. Love those integrated amps.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Most of the products I stock are integrateds and darn fine at that. My TOTL unit is the Evolution 845:

For an office, I'm thinking the new MastersounD BoX will be a GREAT solution. 35 watts of single ended goodness for a mere $3,000, including phono and remote:

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Isn’t the Job wonderful? It makes me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil View Post
    +1

Another happy Job INT owner here.

NAD C 658 streamer.

switched to integrated for about 2 years, think will stay like this for couple few years. It simplify my living room rig.

Recently switch to accu e650(from e600), overall it gives more control and smoother to drive my sopra.
    Jesse

Thales Slim II ( EMT 75G) , Audio Technica ART-9
    Lumin X1 - Melco N1A/2
    Accuphase 2420, A48, C37
    Tannoy Kenn. GR

Cables: Ansuz Mainz (Dtc,diamond) PC - Shunyata Alpha Digital PC - Western Electric IC - Western Electric 1960 SC - Audioquest Vodka Ethernet
    Power Cond: Sound Application SA-240TZ

I've only had integrateds. Started off with a Denon PMA700 then went to the Bryston B100sst. The B100 was a little more dynamic but drier sounding and I always had a hum through the speakers. Went to the Octave V70se and later the V110. The V70 was dead quiet and beat the pants off the Bryston in SQ and dynamics (blacker background). The V110 had a 'hair' more of a blacker background and dynamics. Currently running the Aavik U300. The U300 does the Raidho D2.1's justice where the V110 fell apart when pushed pretty hard. But at low to med listening levels the V110 held it's own. The U300 does have a built in killer dac. Better than my old Naim nDac with XP5XS external power supply. The built in phono is supposed to be very good but I can't say because I don't own a pottery wheel anymore.
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Skip, I’m looking forward to listening to that BoX.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Joe, I’m curious to what you decide to demo, Integrated-wise, after the Luxman stereo amp.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

I graduated from receivers to integrated amps. It became an affordable way to enter into the higher end, going from Japanese integrated to Krell. Then onto to separates.

I wouldn't have a problem with an integrated again. It could be a way to move upward if I could afford something like a Gamuet, I think D'Agostino is in the same range. I have no idea what Vitus, Solution or Griffin cost, but integrated is a way to get a taste if not able to afford the separates.

I could easily live with an Octave Audio, I really like the Devaliet or Naim, to mention a couple. Although I like integrated, I'd attempt to draw the line at built in DAC. I said, attempt, the Devaliet has it and does a great job. Probably not an issue if it was made to upgrade as you go.

I'm sure that new Thrax integrated sounds great.

Isn't Job the same issue as ASR where there are no U.S. distributors or service.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I have been thinking about selling all my electronics and going with a Vinnie Rossi Lio with tubes, built in DAC and phono stage. It would require new speakers however since it puts out 45wpc. My wife has been hinting about me down sizing. I am not quite ready to do it and give up on my Pass and BAT gear. Maybe in 4-5 years.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    I have been thinking about selling all my electronics and going with a Vinnie Rossi Lio with tubes, built in DAC and phono stage. It would require new speakers however since it puts out 45wpc. My wife has been hinting about me down sizing. I am not quite ready to do it and give up on my Pass and BAT gear. Maybe in 4-5 years.
    I see some AG’s in your future. Do you use an integrated in your main system?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Larry

Wasn't Vinnie talking about coming up with a larger amp module? Would sure make it attractive to a bigger audience.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Uno XD and LIO.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Isn’t the Job wonderful? It makes me smile.

Absolutely! Just continue to be amazed with this amp.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I think Integrated amps are getting better every year. I heard the Rogue Atlas Magnum power amp was great with the Quad 57's, so for a few hundred bucks more I bought the Cronus Magnum integrated which is an Atlas Magnum with a built-in preamp and phono stage. For a bit extra I love the additional space I saved vs. separates and also saved on having to buy additional IC's. I also have a 300b integrated from Melody which weighs just under 100 pounds and at 25 watts push pull, the transformers are so large they easily drive some mid-80's sensitivity monitors. So I'm all over the concept that one can make incredible music with an integrated amp. My Pass X20 preamp is feeling a bit unloved these days

Throw in the benefits of not only space but two less power cables and one less XLR cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

DSkip

Integrateds are in a renaissance right now IMO. Separates are fun but offer their own complexities. I also like when manufacturers, like MastersounD does on their more expensive integrateds, allow for a preamp bypass feature. It gives you much more flexibility if you decide to play with other things.

Absolutely - although it really depends on the integrated. There also seem to be way more "super integrateds" in solid state, than tube for some reason.

The Dart is the best SS integrated I've heard (would like to hear the Gryphon).

For tube, I almost went with a Jadis. That said if the Vac iq comes out this year, maybe that's your amp plus can get with phono stage which is super convenient and really lose boxes/cables. The Viva Solista is one I've stared at 100 times, but even though I love the looks not so sure on Viva sounds. It also runs quite hot and doesn't fit well on a rack.

Though truth be told, a TVC + stereo tube amp is a nice alternative and probably higher fidelity.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Joe,

Slightly more than your $10k budget, but the darTZeel LHC-208 is a good choice. Let me know if you'd like to give it a try

cheers,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    extremely interested in your thoughts and which ones you have tried . my dealer wants me to try a thrax enyo valve which apparently is a stunning amp but a] its expensive b] its not that well known yet and in my experince that makes it very hard to resell when you upgrade

modwright kwi200 seems a very good value amp and has home theatre bypass which is good if we are talking integrated systems . pass int 60 is about double the price but extremely popular it seems
    I just looked up the Thrax you mentioned, looks like quite the bit of kit ! I echo your experience at moving on less well known gear no matter however well it might compare with other more well known brands.

With regard to the comments about the amps I am using that might be better sent to you as a PM. I feel it might be quite long and I would hate to crash someone’s thread with a long monologue on my system building

Super Moderator

Please share your experiences, I’m interested in some of the gear you have had and are using now.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Thank you Alex. That could be fun. I’ve had other darTZeel gear. It’s on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Joe,

Slightly more than your $10k budget, but the darTZeel LHC-208 is a good choice. Let me know if you'd like to give it a try

cheers,
    Alex

NAD C 658 streamer.

Please share your experiences, I’m interested in some of the gear you have had and are using now.
    I think the one thing my current exercise has reminded me is that really is no universal right component for all situations. Until recently I was running my Grandinote Shinai through some Tune Audio Marvels and was thinking that the Shinai was the best integrated I had personally heard. An opportunity presented itself for me to get hold of a pair of Soundkaos Wave 40 speakers and this was a speaker I was super interested in but the cost was holding me back from a brand new pair. Lo and behold the Soundkaos speakers arrived and after settling for a while I was well and truly smitten, at this point they were still being driven by the Shinai and sounding pretty good too. Then I started reading around and some articles and reviews made me wonder if there was more to be had from the Soundkaos speakers.

I had read that the Bakoon range of amps were a good matchup for the Soundkaos speakers but lack of UK distribution put paid to being able to audition one in my system. It was really by accident that I read a review on 6 Moons of the Crayon Audio CFA1.2 and how this amp was cut from similar cloth to the Bakoon range. As luck would have it not only did Crayon now have UK distribution but had also introduced a new amplifier that word had it sounded superior to the CFA1.2. That amp is the CIA-1T it is pretty plain looking box compared to the CFA1.2. I arranged to have one sent out for an extended audition, thinking in my mind how can a unit half the price of the Grandinote even come close, especially given my high opinion of the Shinai. Here we are two weeks later and in the case of driving the Soundkaos speakers I think the Crayon is superior. The Soundkaos speakers are quick and full of finesse and the Crayon seems to show these subtleties more clearly than the Grandinote. In valve terms, although they are both solid state devices, the Grandinote is the punchy, meaty push pull while the Crayon is the airier SET. Having said that the Crayon is like an SET with huge cojones This has surprised the heck out of me.

I also have a previously purchased Jadis I-50 that is yet to be slotted into the rack. I have hopes this might be right in the middle of the Grandinote and Crayon models. First and quick impressions gleaned while just making sure it actually worked were that it had all the lush musical sounds of previous Jadis models I have heard but was also more “modern” sounding and lighter on its feet. It does of course also look simply gorgeous. More to follow on the Jadis I think.

Meantime I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on the Crayon but still also wondering deep down if I could let the Grandinote go.

Super Moderator

I absolutely fell in love with the Soundkaos wave 40 speakers. A wonderful efficient speaker.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    I think the one thing my current exercise has reminded me is that really is no universal right component for all situations. Until recently I was running my Grandinote Shinai through some Tune Audio Marvels and was thinking that the Shinai was the best integrated I had personally heard. An opportunity presented itself for me to get hold of a pair of Soundkaos Wave 40 speakers and this was a speaker I was super interested in but the cost was holding me back from a brand new pair. Lo and behold the Soundkaos speakers arrived and after settling for a while I was well and truly smitten, at this point they were still being driven by the Shinai and sounding pretty good too. Then I started reading around and some articles and reviews made me wonder if there was more to be had from the Soundkaos speakers.

I had read that the Bakoon range of amps were a good matchup for the Soundkaos speakers but lack of UK distribution put paid to being able to audition one in my system. It was really by accident that I read a review on 6 Moons of the Crayon Audio CFA1.2 and how this amp was cut from similar cloth to the Bakoon range. As luck would have it not only did Crayon now have UK distribution but had also introduced a new amplifier that word had it sounded superior to the CFA1.2. That amp is the CIA-1T it is pretty plain looking box compared to the CFA1.2. I arranged to have one sent out for an extended audition, thinking in my mind how can a unit half the price of the Grandinote even come close, especially given my high opinion of the Shinai. Here we are two weeks later and in the case of driving the Soundkaos speakers I think the Crayon is superior. The Soundkaos speakers are quick and full of finesse and the Crayon seems to show these subtleties more clearly than the Grandinote. In valve terms, although they are both solid state devices, the Grandinote is the punchy, meaty push pull while the Crayon is the airier SET. Having said that the Crayon is like an SET with huge cojones This has surprised the heck out of me.

I also have a previously purchased Jadis I-50 that is yet to be slotted into the rack. I have hopes this might be right in the middle of the Grandinote and Crayon models. First and quick impressions gleaned while just making sure it actually worked were that it had all the lush musical sounds of previous Jadis models I have heard but was also more “modern” sounding and lighter on its feet. It does of course also look simply gorgeous. More to follow on the Jadis I think.

Meantime I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on the Crayon but still also wondering deep down if I could let the Grandinote go.
    small world !! think it was me that followed on your review on the shinai on the wam
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    small world !! think it was me that followed on your review on the shinai on the wam
    And there goes my 15 minutes of fame ...... on a Shinai review !! :-D

I absolutely fell in love with the Soundkaos wave 40 speakers. A wonderful efficient speaker.
    I totally agree Joe I have been totally smitten by them. A wonderful speaker.

Sorry guys, but my experience is a little different. Yes, is true, i never try any high end integrated like most of you. But it was a long run with integrated amplifiers, like Sansui AU X711, NAD S300, Copland CSA28 and Classe CAP 101 (and some others with no pedigree! )
    For me, the option is for sure a pre power combo, and when i have time ($$$), a dual monoblock amplification. I have tried a mono combo from Arcam and noticed a clear step forward.
    Some time ago, I said to the Portuguese dealer of Lyngdorf that i do my reservation from advance to the mono amps when they have it. First client here!

I use a NAD c375BEE modified by Rowen (Rowen Swiss Power option- tweaked preamp section & negative output impedance for the power section). It is now capable of circa 750wpc into 1 ohm.

I run 2 Heil speakers on it, nominally 6ohms each. Never a power issue. Not practical to push beyond 1pm on the vol knob, as I have neighbours! Sonically, it performs at a similar level to the Job 250 monoblocs, but has a remote control and 4 output posts (A+B)...so more flexible suitable for my current setup. Bass control is outstanding.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

I love my vintage McIntosh MA230 integrated amplifier. It is the first integrated amplifier McIntosh manufactured. It has a solid state preamplifier and a 30 watts per channel tube amplifier on a single chassis. The 7591 outputs tubes make very sweet music. It's not modern or high powered but it drives a pair of JBL 4312A speakers very well.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Larry

Wasn't Vinnie talking about coming up with a larger amp module? Would sure make it attractive to a bigger audience.
    I believe Vinnie gave up on a more powerful amp module for the Lio. He stated that he could not fit it in the current chassis. Maybe he will come out with a larger integrated in the future. I would jump on one of his integrated's if it was 100-150wpc which would allow a wider range of speakers.

Vinnie is a great guy. I talked with him a while at Axpona 3 years ago. That's where I fell in love with the sound of the Lio and Harbeth speakers. A very organic, natural and smooth sound with a killer midrange. I could have listened to that system all day. And the Lio has been improved since then with cleaner power and a much better DAC.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team