Do you use an integrated in your main system? - Page 16
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16
Results 151 to 160 of 160
  1. #151
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    La Jolla, Ca.
    Posts
    505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do you use an integrated in your main system?

    T+A PA3100HV. After countless, McIntosh, Pass Labs, Spectral separates . This is by far my favorite. I've owned 2 other integrateds Rogers EHF-200MKII (LOVED), and a Vitus SIA-025 (over rated).
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Magico S3s.

  2. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Likes joeinid, bart liked this post
  3. #152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do you use an integrated in your main system?

    I'll be using a Luxman 509x to drive a pair of Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary model speakers.....after the first of the year. I've already purchased the speakers, cables, and stands. I'll add the Luxman 509x, Lumin D2, Roon Nucleus, headphone amp (maybe Schiit Vali or Valhalla), and a sub, immediately after the first of the year. The purchase is divided into two increments for tax reasons. The wait is a killer but I gotta be patient.

  4. #153
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    birmingham uk
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do you use an integrated in your main system?

    Nice , the luxman is on my list to try one day . The sugden a21se was absolutely superb with the tannoy eaton legacy . the remote is a bit hard to get precise volume but apart from that it was a superb integrated amp
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs msb s200 . rotel cd , teac dac , bel canto fm1 tuner . tannoy eaton legacy 2]arcam a75 jolida modwright glass mark3 dac , marantz sa8005, reference fidelity impulse Ta`us horns

  5. #154
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do you use an integrated in your main system?

    "[...Pretty much all of the reference level integrateds I've seen still look quite compromised compared to their separates brethren...]"

    Quite compromised? How so? Could you be more specific?

    "[...
    I do however wish more manufacturers would push the boundaries with integrateds....]"

    It seems to me there are a significant number of manufacturers "pushing the boundaries of integrateds." For example, Luxman, Gryphon, T + A, Hegel, VAC, MBL, Pass, McIntosh, Audio Research, Goldmund, and many, many, others.

    "[...
    I often feel the disparity between separates and integrateds is too large....]"

    Really? Don't get me wrong, I'm far from an expert on this subject as I'm a recent returnee to high end audio after about a 40 year hiatus. But it's my understanding that integrateds have come a long way in that time period, to the point where many integrateds match up very well with their "separates brethren", whether you're talking specs or live listening. I'm not sure this post will get a response since this is an older thread. But, for me, I think especially from a performance standpoint, the current choice of integrateds stack up very well against separates. However, for some, there are certainly reasons to go with separates.....higher performance in some cases and a better chance of being able to operate your system if something goes down (a very legit reason), etc. To me, the main disadvantages of separates are the cable/connection and room/space issues. But, I think integrateds today often equal and perhaps in some cases surpass the performance of some separates. And in some cases, the sonic differences between integrateds and their comparable separates are virtually inaudible. I'm one of those who have a relatively small listening room (12' x 27') and going integrated is a more viable alternative. And I don't feel like I'll be giving up any performance advantages.

  6. Likes Mike, Dizzie, Jim Smith, Dr Morbius, NickB, bart liked this post
  7. #155
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do you use an integrated in your main system?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    "[...Pretty much all of the reference level integrateds I've seen still look quite compromised compared to their separates brethren...]"

    Quite compromised? How so? Could you be more specific?

    "[...
    I do however wish more manufacturers would push the boundaries with integrateds....]"

    It seems to me there are a significant number of manufacturers "pushing the boundaries of integrateds." For example, Luxman, Gryphon, T + A, Hegel, VAC, MBL, Pass, McIntosh, Audio Research, Goldmund, and many, many, others.

    "[...
    I often feel the disparity between separates and integrateds is too large....]"

    Really? Don't get me wrong, I'm far from an expert on this subject as I'm a recent returnee to high end audio after about a 40 year hiatus. But it's my understanding that integrateds have come a long way in that time period, to the point where many integrateds match up very well with their "separates brethren", whether you're talking specs or live listening. I'm not sure this post will get a response since this is an older thread. But, for me, I think especially from a performance standpoint, the current choice of integrateds stack up very well against separates. However, for some, there are certainly reasons to go with separates.....higher performance in some cases and a better chance of being able to operate your system if something goes down (a very legit reason), etc. To me, the main disadvantages of separates are the cable/connection and room/space issues. But, I think integrateds today often equal and perhaps in some cases surpass the performance of some separates. And in some cases, the sonic differences between integrateds and their comparable separates are virtually inaudible. I'm one of those who have a relatively small listening room (12' x 27') and going integrated is a more viable alternative. And I don't feel like I'll be giving up any performance advantages.
    Most manufacturers that offer an integrated solution will tell you that they could not possibly offer a comparable separates solution at anywhere close to the same cost/price point. Gryphon, who offers what most would consider a couple of high end integrateds, is a case in point. Do they offer even better sounding separates? Sure, but at much higher price points. So if it's just performance you're after and price, space, cables, power, etc, are not critical, buy separates.

  8. Likes Mike liked this post
  9. #156
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do you use an integrated in your main system?

    Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    Most manufacturers that offer an integrated solution will tell you that they could not possibly offer a comparable separates solution at anywhere close to the same cost/price point. Gryphon, who offers what most would consider a couple of high end integrateds, is a case in point. Do they offer even better sounding separates? Sure, but at much higher price points. So if it's just performance you're after and price, space, cables, power, etc, are not critical, buy separates.

    Absolutely agree.

  10. #157
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do you use an integrated in your main system?

    Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    using an Yamaha AS2100.
    I have read nothing but highly positive comments regarding the Yamaha AS 1100 and AS 2100. They seem to be very underrated and overlooked amps by audiophiles. Easily two of the best amps in their class and very competitive with the most esoteric integrated amps.

  11. #158
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    210
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do you use an integrated in your main system?

    I am still very much enjoying my Luxman L590AXII Class A integrated, Luxman D-06U SACD/USB player and a pair of Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary speakers. Killer musical system for the money invested. Thanks Mike!
    Serge

  12. #159
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Southeast Iowa
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do you use an integrated in your main system?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOctopus View Post
    Very happy with the Luxman L-590AX Mark II so far. Just arrived yesterday. Sounded pretty damn great out of the box and this morning it really sounds fantastic. Driving the Harbeth 30.2 effortlessly, it sounds plenty ballsy yet velvety smooth with midrange sweetness that is very addicting. Does not leave me wanting something else, I can see myself spending years upon years with this combo which is very musical and non-fatiguing. Exactly what I was hoping for. I've owned enough much higher end gear to be confident in what I am hearing.
    Serge, was there any particular reason you didn't go with the 509x? I'm just curious since I'll also have Harbeth speakers (my Super HL 5+ Anniversaries are currently being built).

  13. #160
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    210
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Do you use an integrated in your main system?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Serge, was there any particular reason you didn't go with the 509x? I'm just curious since I'll also have Harbeth speakers (my Super HL 5+ Anniversaries are currently being built).
    My listening room is not small at 30x26 but based on my previous experience of various systems I have built over the years I knew that the Class A 590 would drive the speakers I chose (30.2) with room to spare. In fact I often listen to my PrimaLuna Dialogue HP integrated in triode mode which is only some 30w from EL-34 tubes and it’s more than enough.

    When it comes to solid state, I prefer class A for the slightly sweeter and warmer signature that it typically offers. No other reason really.
    Serge

 

 
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16

Tags for this Thread