Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Ls17 se

Ls17 se

I am looking at a one year old LS17 SE. Has anyone tried this preamp? I have read a few reviews. One guy was obviously not a ARC fan. Said some good things but mentioned mainly ARC fans would like it, but there were other things he did not like. Picky complaints.

The other reviewers loved it. One guy talked about how he keep the original LS17 in his system after reviewing it, but was going to be replacing it with the SE. He loved it.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Re: Ls17 se

If at all possible audition yourself. That way, YOU know how it sounds. Too many variables reading "reviews". The room size, treatments, related components all need to be factored in. Good luck!
    Source component-Esoteric K-01X
    Preamp-
    Audio Research Reference 10
    Amplifier- ​D'Agostino Progression monoblocks
    Speakers-
    Wilson Audio Maxx 3
    Isolation stand-HRS SXR
    Cables-Transparent Reference speaker and Super I/C's.
    Power conditioning-Transparent Power Isolator and Transparent power cords
    Room treatment-Vicoustics

Always great advice and I wish this was an option. I know I would be happy with the quality and features on the ARC. I am just concerned to make sure performance won't be sacrificed.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I have owned the LS-17 in the past and never warmed up to it for a number of reasons. I have not heard the LS-17SE so I don't know how much it improved over the LS-17. If you take the plunge and buy a used LS-17SE, make sure you buy it *right* and it comes with all the original boxes and packaging so if you don't like it, you can recover most if not all of your money.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Thanks for the advise. Yes, the one I am considering is only one year old, has original everything.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Looking forward to hearing your impressions !

The general assumption is that each consecutive LS release is better but that could be a mistake and lead to a disappointment. Rather consider each release as a "slightly" different flavor..each model has it own type of magic...

Well, we will see. Maybe if we can make a deal, otherwise no worries. Have wanted to try an ARC preamp though ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

So I have made a deal to try out this pre-amplifier. I am trading some pieces that are not being used, however I am going to have a chance to try out the ARC pre-amplifier first. If I like it send the trades, if not send the ARC back.... win win... also, the ARC pre is less than a year old, so I am basically getting a brand new Audio Research pre-amplifier if I decide it does the trick for me!

I am excited to try out this pre-amplifier. A good friend in our audio club has one of these and absolutely loves it. So we will see ....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Congratulations Randy. I’m sure you will love it. Can’t wait for your opinion.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Randy

If that pre has low hours then hold back with your judgment until you have put on at least 150 hours AND be careful that a poor IC choice does not ruin your impression of the pre.

Just saying....

J

Understood. Not sure how many hours, but I certainly give it some time. I have some good decent IC, not really expensive, but certainly not your run of the mill either.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Jozua View Post
    Looking forward to hearing your impressions !

The general assumption is that each consecutive LS release is better but that could be a mistake and lead to a disappointment. Rather consider each release as a "slightly" different flavor..each model has it own type of magic...
    I agree, I'm currently on a LS27. I had someone tell me they would buy it, if and when I were to make a change. I had an LS17, no complaints, hopefully you will feel the same !

what preamp will you be replacing ?
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Currently using a STP-SE. I have wanted a ARC for a while. I just hope it sounds as good as the STP-SE ... but have to scratch that itch, ya know...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

The new pre-amp is here, the new pre-amp is here! Have not had a chance to hook it up yet.... dam yard work ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy

Your silence says it all... no synergy in your system... ?

It Ok !

Take care

Hehe... I have been busy, and also listening for a bit. So far I am enjoying the ARC. I would say more similarities than differences. It took some swapping around power cables to find the combo I really like.

The LS17SE has great detail, a very deep some stage. The STP-SE is maybe a touch smoother. The one thing the ARC has surprised me in is, I think it is called decay... when you hear strings vibrating after the note has been played. I hear a surprisingly more of this with the ARC.

A friend from the audio club was over yesterday. We listened for a couple hours and then put in some new tubes that just arrived. I know the Electro Harmonix "gold pin" tubes are said to come out of the same factory as the original Sovtek, but they are considered better from many of the reviews I have read. I paid a little extra to get Upscale Audio's Audio Research Select Grade tube. But, I have to say it was worth it.

We listened for an hour or so, not even burnt in yet, just the very slight burn in Upscale puts on them, and we both said.... wow... what a difference. We were both surprised. I did not expect to hear much of a difference, yet alone a big difference, but we both heard a very big difference. Much smoother... he actually commented that the one thing he was not completely happy with the LS17 SE is that he felt it was missing some of the smoothness that my STP-SE had. But with these Gold Pin tubes he commented that it smoothed out and the one thing he did not like was now excellent!

We are both going to suggest to our other friend who has one of these pre-amps that he might want to try these tubes.

The one thing that I have been most surprised with on this ARC pre-amp is how it appears to be more affected by these "tweaks" then other equipment I have owned. Switching power cables was a more noticeable difference then any other piece of gear I have owned. And now a seeming slight upgrade tube and it is a fairly large difference. This leads me to conclude that this pre-amplifier is much more revealing of slight changes then any other piece I have owned.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Ls17 se