Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Pass XP-30: Any DAC recommendations?

Any thoughts out there on which DACs might have great synergy with a Pass XP-30 preamp? What are others here using?

Re: Pass XP-30: Any DAC recommendations?

This may be a reach as I'm on a smaller scale than you, I like my Levinson with Pass, I still have Pass pre but switched from Pass amp. Brian of Bricasti used to be with Levinson and I like his DAC quite a bit. The way the Bricasti was set up the times I heard it, I found it to be quick and nimble with a smooth presentation, not warm, just a nice musical presentation. I suspect it would have nice synergy for you.

To my ears I found the Direct Stream to lean some more analytical than Bricasti and Lampi fuller than both, warm but not overly so.

I think Lampi would have synergy bringing a fuller presentation. It depends on which way you want the system to lean. In my system I found staying with balanced circuits to sound better. That's not always been my experience, but it was when mixing the Pass & Levinson.

There's a good Pass following here, I'm sure you'll get some good feedback.

Welcome to the Shark.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

The DAC in my Lumin works great with my XP-22. However, I suspect any decent DAC, along with good cables, will work well with your Pass.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

I used the Esoteric K-01 Player/DAC with the Pass XP-30 preamp when I owned it and it was a terrific combination.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Schiit Yggdrasil DAC sounds great in my system.
    Aurender N30 - EMM Labs DA2 - Pass Labs XP-30 - Pass Labs X350.8 - B&W 802 Diamond - PS Audio DirectStream P12

Quote Originally Posted by elshout View Post
    Any thoughts out there on which DACs might have great synergy with a Pass XP-30 preamp? What are others here using?
    elshout, do you have a budget figure in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    elshout, do you have a budget figure in mind?
    To get better recommendations, it would also be helpful to know if DSD and/or MQA are needs and what your preferred inputs are, if known at this point.

Budget around $2000. XLR outputs. Really would like HDMI inputs but I know that option os pretty limited. And yes, DSD.

Find a used Bryston BDA3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Yiggy sounds like your best bet. I had this Marantz NA-11s1 and loved its tone, texture and dynamics. It has a beautiful rich mid range. However it was not a good match with my BAT preamp as the bass was too much. It had the best sounding piano and female vocals that I have heard in a DAC. It is also built like a tank.

https://www.musicdirect.com/network-...k-audio-player
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    Yiggy sounds like your best bet. I had this Marantz NA-11s1 and loved its tone, texture and dynamics. It has a beautiful rich mid range. However it was not a good match with my BAT preamp as the bass was too much. It had the best sounding piano and female vocals that I have heard in a DAC. It is also built like a tank.

https://www.musicdirect.com/network-...k-audio-player
    The biggest problem with Schiit is the lack of DSD support. If they had it, I would’ve bought one. I have a couple hundred DSD albums. So lack of DSD support put it quickly in the “no” column

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

"The biggest problem with Schiit is the lack of DSD support." I agree, I think if they had it, I would be getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    The biggest problem with Schiit is the lack of DSD support. If they had it, I would’ve bought one. I have a couple hundred DSD albums. So lack of DSD support put it quickly in the “no” column

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, forgot that it does not do DSD. You are welcome to stop by my house in Woodbury to hear my Luxman with my Pass X250. They occasionally come up for sale used. It is still a stereophile A+ DAC. Another DAC to give a listen to is this AVA Hi Fi DAC. I had it in my system and did a review on it for Frank Van Alstine. It sounded better than my Luxman DA-06 in some respects. Frank has a 30 day money back guaranty. You can give it a listen at Frank's house in Woodbury. He lives about 3 minutes from me. Tell him Larry referred you. It punches above its price point for sure since my Luxman use to list at $6K.

https://avahifi.com/collections/d-to-a-converters
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Thanks Mechnutt,

The Luxman definitely looks like a nice option.

I use the xp20.
    for me go with a Lumin or similar (all in one) and a cd player unit added...
    if you will a"extern" Dac Métronome C8 PLUS or Emmlabs.
    Rockna and Bricasti are too very interessing.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Pass XP-30: Any DAC recommendations?