Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Denafrips Terminator dac ...

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Well I have had time to go through four DACs and do some comparisons.
    1. Denafrips Terminator: The most open, dynamic and transparent of any DAC I have had to date. Amazing realism with vocals like the artist is in the room. Bass dynamics and weight is off the charts compared to the rest. NOS mode and sending it DSD256 from Roon with a microRendu.
    2. T&A DAC8: Very close to the Terminator but just cannot create the "you are there" realism. I am just feeding it DSD256 via Roon so this could change when I have the ability to send it DSD512. Stay tuned.
    3. Holo Spring Level 3: Close behind the T&A but another level of less realism and dynamics. Does some things very well like the bass. Tried it with just USB and I2s with a Singxer. Also sending it DSD512 from Roon and using the NOS mode.
    4. PS Audio Directstream: Scratching my head as this has a very different sound. Not going to put anything in writing until I try it with a few more inputs. I have been using the Bridge II for all my listening so far.

Remember this is how these sound in "MY" system and will greatly vary with different equipment and setups.
    Hey Marty a friend of mine in Jacksonville has the Terminator and he said, give it a try via the I2S input, with the Singxer SU-1
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Chris I will give that a try as I have heard the same as well. The Singxer and I2s didn't seem to make much of a difference with the Holo Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Hey Marty a friend of mine in Jacksonville has the Terminator and he said, give it a try via the I2S input, with the Singxer SU-1
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Would be really curious if the Singxer changes things on the terminator.

Anyone using terminator with their headphone rig ?

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thanks Joe!

Are folks finding s/w upsampling, say to DSD256, and using the Terminator in NOS mode sounds better in their setup ? I have a mixed reaction between s/w upsampling and native bitrate in OS mode - while some recording sounds better with s/w upsampling, other sounds better in OS mode.

Hi, Devg.

This isn't a direct answer to your question because I do not own a Terminator. However, in the last year and a half I have learned a lot about my preferences. Whereas I initially thought I wanted OS capability because it's 'new' and 'it's where technology is making its greatest strides', I have discovered that I really prefer and want NOS sound. I bought a dB Audio Labs Tranquility SE DAC (with Jupiter Cu caps) this year and I love how it sounds. I've used it in three different systems now and prefer it over my Gustard X20u and a Nuprime DAC-9.

Regards,

Michael
    Amp: D Sachs KT88 Kootenay120, Nuprime Evolution STA
    Preamp: D Sachs Model 2
    DAC: SW1X DAC III BAL/SPL, Holo Spring 3 KTE w/volume control
    Speakers: Daedalus Apollos, Fritz LS/5-R
    Connectors/speaker cables/PCs: Triode Wire Labs Hapa Audio QS/QC
    Power Conditioner: PI Audio UberBUSS, MiniBUSS, DigiBUSS
    Mac Mini

Always looking for better gear!

Quote Originally Posted by mresseguie View Post
    Hi, Devg.

This isn't a direct answer to your question because I do not own a Terminator. However, in the last year and a half I have learned a lot about my preferences. Whereas I initially thought I wanted OS capability because it's 'new' and 'it's where technology is making its greatest strides', I have discovered that I really prefer and want NOS sound. I bought a dB Audio Labs Tranquility SE DAC (with Jupiter Cu caps) this year and I love how it sounds. I've used it in three different systems now and prefer it over my Gustard X20u and a Nuprime DAC-9.

Regards,

Michael
    Michael,

thank you for your feedback. I haven't heard dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC, so can't say the difference but for the Terminator the OS mode sounds lot better than NOS feeding bitperfect files. However, I can't really put my finger on this DAC and say I am totally impressed. Don't take it wrong - this DAC is very good in its own right. This lead me to find out what's the best way to feed this DAC. Currently I am trying out different HQP filters in NOS mode and see if I can get the best out of it.

Hey Chris, I don't think you ever said weather you tried HQPlayer or not? If you have not I would highly advise you load HQPlayer and set it to upsample everything to DSD512 with 48 base clock, run Roon through by setting up a HQPlayer zone; through the T+A. I would be shocked if you then said it was missing the "you are there" aspect any more.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by mresseguie View Post
    Hi, Devg.

I've used it in three different systems now and prefer it over my Gustard X20u and a Nuprime DAC-9.

Regards,

Michael
    Btw, Michael have you heard the newly released Nuprime Evolution DAC yet ?

Yes this is my preferred setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    Are folks finding s/w upsampling, say to DSD256, and using the Terminator in NOS mode sounds better in their setup ? I have a mixed reaction between s/w upsampling and native bitrate in OS mode - while some recording sounds better with s/w upsampling, other sounds better in OS mode.
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Hey Chris, I don't think you ever said weather you tried HQPlayer or not? If you have not I would highly advise you load HQPlayer and set it to upsample everything to DSD512 with 48 base clock, run Roon through by setting up a HQPlayer zone; through the T+A. I would be shocked if you then said it was missing the "you are there" aspect any more.
    I can do DSD256 via HQ, but I need a more powerful machine, I know my Photoshop/Lightroom/Capture One/ desktop machine ( Intel i7 8700k 6 core 3.7Ghz, 4xDDR4-2666 16gb, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2090 Ti 11gb, Samsung 960 Pro 1TB SSD) could do it, but its dedicated to photos. My laptop I use for music, well needs a replacement. Maybe this year.

2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

That is one powerful machine for sure. It would have zero issues continuing as your photo machine and as an amazing music server. Three pieces of software... the Windows driver, Roon Core, and HQPlayer! DSD512/48... will blow you away...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Holy cuda pipelines Batman that is one monster video card!

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    I can do DSD256 via HQ, but I need a more powerful machine, I know my Photoshop/Lightroom/Capture One/ desktop machine ( Intel i7 8700k 6 core 3.7Ghz, 4xDDR4-2666 16gb, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2090 Ti 11gb, Samsung 960 Pro 1TB SSD) could do it, but its dedicated to photos. My laptop I use for music, well needs a replacement. Maybe this year.

Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Holy cuda pipelines Batman that is one monster video card!
    comes in handy, when we do a little 4K video using my Nikon D850 and my other hobby doing 3D walk through on homes for realtors using a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera MC250

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    Btw, Michael have you heard the newly released Nuprime Evolution DAC yet ?
    I have not heard it yet. I’m hoping to audition it in the next two months if I can persuade Jason to loan me a demo unit. Even though I stated my preference is for NOS DACs, I know better than to ignore OS DACs because I might discover something better than what I’ve heard before.

I’ve got my sights set on a SW1X NOS DAC III (STD or SPL) model. I’ve read very good reports on their DACs. I may have one by mid-March if the stock market hasn’t turned me into a beggar first.

Michael

Yes this is my preferred setup.
    I am finding pcm upsampling to 352.8 using linear phase sounds better than dsd256. Still experimenting....

I have and absolutely love the Nuprime Evolution DAC. My review is at audiocircle.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I don’t have one but am thinking seriously of a new/better dac. This is getting raves right now. I’ve never heard of them.
    Joe, did you ever get to try the Denafrips Terminator?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post

Hi,

No, I haven’t. I’ve been really happy with my Bricasti M1SE. I’m still thinking dacs but am in no rush to get anything just for the sake of it. Next purchase I hope to get something maybe more future proof, if possible. I can still get a network update for my Bricasti (supposedly with increased sound quality) but my Lumin U1 mini makes the whole package better.

I’m sort of not sure what to do at this point.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I ordered it, it's on its way. Very much looking forward to it!

Al
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Hi,

No, I haven’t. I’ve been really happy with my Bricasti M1SE. I’m still thinking dacs but am in no rush to get anything just for the sake of it. Next purchase I hope to get something maybe more future proof, if possible. I can still get a network update for my Bricasti (supposedly with increased sound quality) but my Lumin U1 mini makes the whole package better.

Yes, the Bricasti is nice, I like it. Great choice.

For myself, in the main system I would always go with a streaming DAC. But as I might replace the DAC in the summerhouse, I’m looking at the Terminator.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post

Al
    Congrats. From what I hear you have made a great choice. Personally I have however not auditioned it yet.

But it’s good to hear your Denafrips is on the way. Please share your impressions when it arrives.

Al
    I’m looking forward to your thoughts on the eventual comparison of Terminator with Yggy.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    I’m looking forward to your thoughts on the eventual comparison of Terminator with Yggy.
    There are a couple of comparisons on the web from Darko and others, checked them yesterday. Result is always the same.

Hi,

Take a trip down to your LI buddies to hear one if these...
    received_1931173613855077.jpeg
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Super Moderator

Al
    Definitely looking forward to your thoughts about that one.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

That LampizatOr could be wonderful. It’s certainly one of the top two or three on my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Take a trip down to your LI buddies to hear one if these...

NAD C 658 streamer.

There are a couple of comparisons on the web from Darko and others, checked them yesterday. Result is always the same.

Yes, that's what raised my interest. The reviews of the Terminator DAC, formal or user, are all remarkably consistent, when it comes to its characteristics on its own, and to some extent also when it comes to Yggy comparisons.

I'll definitely post my impressions. My only concern is timbral micro detail, e.g., on solo violin or in string quartets. Here the Yggy is indisputable world class, at least in my digital set-up and system. If the Terminator DAC can match this, and at the same time has more richness and weight of tone, it's a winner. Then it's Hasta la Vista Baby.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Well I think I own or have owned all DACs in the 3k to 5k range and the Terminator has been the DAC that is still in my system. It clicks off all the right qualities I like.

Did anyone else who attended the FAE go into the Lampizator room and think there was a speaker out of phase? My head was spinning.
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Heard the Lampi set up on Friday afternoon and it sounded very good to both myself and a friend.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Al I look forward to your impression of the Terminator. I ship out my Yggy later this week. The micro details are what the Terminator gets right for me. Now it will not smooth out a bad recording, no sugar coating with it. When do you expect it to land in your system?

Yes, that's what raised my interest. The reviews of the Terminator DAC, formal or user, are all remarkably consistent, when it comes to its characteristics on its own, and to some extent also when it comes to Yggy comparisons.

I'll definitely post my impressions. My only concern is timbral micro detail, e.g., on solo violin or in string quartets. Here the Yggy is indisputable world class, at least in my digital set-up and system. If the Terminator DAC can match this, and at the same time has more richness and weight of tone, it's a winner. Then it's Hasta la Vista Baby.
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

I hit that room first thing Friday morning so there is a good chance it changed later in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by jadedavid View Post
    Heard the Lampi set up on Friday afternoon and it sounded very good to both myself and a friend.
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

what speakers did you listen to? The VR ultra 55s ...silver...or the wooden E3s?

The 55s were damaged and replaced. AVshowrooms was gushing how holographic the room was and PeterB selected the GG2 as the component he wanted most to take away from the show.
    https://youtu.be/kyHoF1WPvo4
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

deleted...
    NORMAN

Al I look forward to your impression of the Terminator. I ship out my Yggy later this week. The micro details are what the Terminator gets right for me. Now it will not smooth out a bad recording, no sugar coating with it. When do you expect it to land in your system?
    Marty, great to hear about the micro details! I am absolutely addicted to them, since I'm addicted to string quartets. Yes, that's very good if the DAC doesn't smooth out problems, which would hinder optimal resolution and transient information. I'm expecting the DAC sometime next week.

I honestly do not remember. I sat down and immediately knew something wasn’t right but didn’t say anything or linger for more tracks. The Lampizator was one of the main items I was looking forward to hearing. I guess I should have gone back later in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    what speakers did you listen to? The VR ultra 55s ...silver...or the wooden E3s?

The 55s were damaged and replaced. AVshowrooms was gushing how holographic the room was and PeterB selected the GG2 as the component he wanted most to take away from the show.
    https://youtu.be/kyHoF1WPvo4
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Here are my notes from yesterday 9 pm:

My Terminator DAC arrived. It sounds good right away. Important: micro-detail of timbre, e.g., on solo strings, is just as excellent as with the Yggdrasil DAC, spectacular! That performance, on Redbook CD, can easily compete with the best turntables I've heard (in the $ 70K plus range including phono stage, and well set up). So the first hurdle to me liking the DAC is cleared. However, it doesn't sound any richer yet than the Yggy -- so it basically sounds like the Yggy. Yet I suppose this should change with warm-up (it's now only 7 hours powered up) and break-in. So I'll just enjoy music and worry about performance later. I am letting the DAC play 24/7.

Tonight I'll listen more.

Here are my notes from yesterday 9 pm:

My Terminator DAC arrived. It sounds good right away. Important: micro-detail of timbre, e.g., on solo strings, is just as excellent as with the Yggdrasil DAC, spectacular! That performance, on Redbook CD, can easily compete with the best turntables I've heard (in the $ 70K plus range including phono stage, and well set up). So the first hurdle to me liking the DAC is cleared. However, it doesn't sound any richer yet than the Yggy -- so it basically sounds like the Yggy. Yet I suppose this should change with warm-up (it's now only 7 hours powered up) and break-in. So I'll just enjoy music and worry about performance later. I am letting the DAC play 24/7.

Tonight I'll listen more.

sounds promising and easily competes with $70K TT setups really?

have you actually compared it side by side with a Hi-End TT setup?

Quote Originally Posted by PureVinyl View Post
    sounds promising and easily competes with $70K TT setups really?

have you actually compared it side by side with hi-end TT setup?
    I have compared the same recordings on CD played on my system with the LPs played backed on other highly resolving systems (the recordings are analog sourced for LP playback, so there would be no built-in advantage of the CD over the LP).

Please note that this only pertains to micro-detail of timbre on solo strings -- the micro-oscillations and tiny transient details, resulting from the friction of bow on strings. I do not claim that in all other areas the CD playback is as good as the best vinyl playback, or can compete with it.

I have compared the same recordings on CD played on my system with the LPs played backed on other highly resolving systems (the recordings are analog sourced for LP playback, so there would be no built-in advantage of the CD over the LP).

Please note that this only pertains to micro-detail of timbre on solo strings -- the micro-oscillations and tiny transient details, resulting from the friction of bow on strings. I do not claim that in other areas the CD playback is as good as the best vinyl playback, or can compete with it.

imo: comparing the CD playback at "Your" place and hearing the same recording "Somewhere else" has no merit in my book!

not trying to rain on your parade, but let's be fair when comparing products, a true side be side A/B has more merit, when making a claim of besting a $70K TT setup!

Enjoy your new DAC..

Quote Originally Posted by PureVinyl View Post
    imo: comparing the CD playback at "Your" place and hearing the same recording "Somewhere else" has no merit in my book!

not trying to rain on your parade, but let's be fair when comparing products, a true side be side A/B has more merit, when making a claim of besting a $70K TT setup!

Enjoy your new DAC..
    Well, then you would have to make the assumption that those other systems are less resolving than mine, a claim that I am not willing to make.

Yes, I will enjoy my new DAC, thank you.

PS: I don't equate the term "competing" with "besting".

Enjoy the Terminator Al. I have listened to it at the home of a good friend who has it along with the Yggy(Norman knows who!). It is a fine DAC and sounds really nice with DSD. For PCM, we prefer the Yggy but it is close. They share very similar qualities. My friend has a ton of DSD, mostly rips of the DSD layer of a SACD. The Terminator does a great job on DSD. If I had to have native DSD playback, it would be at the top of my list.

Quote Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
    Enjoy the Terminator Al. I have listened to it at the home of a good friend who has it along with the Yggy(Norman knows who!). It is a fine DAC and sounds really nice with DSD. For PCM, we prefer the Yggy but it is close. They share very similar qualities. My friend has a ton of DSD, mostly rips of the DSD layer of a SACD. The Terminator does a great job on DSD. If I had to have native DSD playback, it would be at the top of my list.
    For DSD; T+A DAC 8 DSD.... Since I can't afford a Lampi I would put this against any DSD DAC out there (in a price range I can afford)... sorry I couldn't resist (since the Yggy is brought up so often for non-DSD).... back to the Terminator, carry on...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
    Thanks, Joe. What did you prefer about the Yggy? I don't have version 2 of the Yggy, but so far I hear nothing where I would prefer my Yggy version 1, and the Terminator isn't even broken in yet.

I had an Yggy v1 then upgraded to v2 and it was a great dac. But after break-in I really preferred the Terminator in all category's, when I fed the Terminator a I2s cable from my modified Singxer SU-1 w/ UltraCap LPS-1 power supply it went to a different level I was really hearing what it was capable of. The soundstage I'm getting now is like nothing I ever thought I would get in my room. Now when I sit down for a listen I'm all smiles. I do believe the USB input is its weakest part.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    I had an Yggy v1 then upgraded to v2 and it was a great dac. But after break-in I really preferred the Terminator in all category's, when I fed the Terminator a I2s cable from my modified Singxer SU-1 w/ UltraCap LPS-1 power supply it went to a different level I was really hearing what it was capable of. The soundstage I'm getting now is like nothing I ever thought I would get in my room. Now when I sit down for a listen I'm all smiles. I do believe the USB input is its weakest part.
    Nice to hear. Oh yes, USB, that's not the way to go imo with any DAC, except, well, USB DACs . I use the AES/EBU input.

There's something about the sound I just love about the I2s input, even after using a DH AES/EBU cable from my Lumin to Terminator for about four days I had to go back to the I2s input.

To be fair I do listen to a lot of DSD, another reason for I2s.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Denafrips Terminator dac ...