Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: New B&O ICE Power 1200AS2 Module @ Nord: 600W into 8Ohms 1200W into 4Ohms

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsy View Post
    Hi

Ric Schultz - how is your work going? Are you finished? Can you share with us what you got please?
    I can answer that one. My amp will be the first one. I spoke to Ric on Thursday and hoping my amp goes out this week. If I don't hear about shipping by the end of this Thursday, I'll give him a call.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
    If you're asking which ones I've used that throw a better sound stage I can answer that.

A friend brought over some 845 based amps, I can't recall the brand right now. These threw the biggest soundstage I have ever heard and sounded magical but they were a just little dark for my liking and not as quiet. In fact the noise floor wasn't that great. My Butler 2250 throws a huge soundstage and sounds very similar to the 1200as2 in tone but it's not as quiet either. I would say it is at least as big, maybe a little bigger than the 1200as2. The other amp is also a friends amp, the Don Sach Kootanay 200 which also threw a huge soundstage in my room. That amp I would be hard pressed to find flaw with and it may be better than the 1200as2. But since it isn't mine I haven't had a lot of time with it. The worst amp for soundstage I have heard in my system is the Crown XLS1500. This amp is classic class D in that it has a somewhat harsh top end, it's thin sounding and the soundstage is very small. In fact it wins for the smallest soundstage I've heard in my room to date.
    I've got a Don Sachs Kootenay 120 as referred to above by Greg F as well as a Mivera 1200AS. The Kootenay is an excellent amp that has received almost universal praise from it's owners. For a medium power KT88 design the Kootenay is extremely extended at both end of the spectrum, quiet, transparent/detailed and provides an enveloping soundstage. It has wonderful tone with it's 6SN7 input tubes and is thoroughly enjoyable. I purchased it after owning the Mivera for a short time and initially thought is was noticeably superior to the 1200AS, especially in the "presence" factor.

However, I decided to try a different power cord configuration with the Mivera and the net result was startling. The vocal reproduction (which I use to judge amplifier presence) on my Harbeth 40.1's really jumped a notch. In fact it is now at the level where it is within spitting distance of the Kootenay. The Sach's may have a "slight" bit more presence/palpability/wetness but it's extremely close. The soundstage width and depth of the Mivera is right on par with Kootenay along with detail and transparency - actually the notes from the 1200AS seem to jump out a little more coming from that absolute black background that the Class D's are known for.

At this point I would have a hard time deciding which amp I enjoy more. The fact that in my system they are that close may be somewhat surprising to the Class D detractors. Ultimately with it's high efficiency, low heat production and ability to be left on 24-7 in preparation for immediate musical enjoyment I find myself playing the 1200AS more often without the feeling of missing out on any tube goodness.

It's worth noting that I'm fronting both amps with a Vinnie Rossi LIO with the latest DAC and DHT preamp stage utilizing premium 300b's (Takatsuki). I think this may have a lot to do with the ultimate performance of the 1200AS. The DHT stage (no output transformers and extremely clean regulated power supplies) is extremely holographic with heavenly tone and great bandwidth and it seems that the Icepower amp is simply and accurately passing along what it sees at it's input (XLR connection). Seems to me to be an ideal setup.

On another note, I did have the NORD ONE SE UP NC500 monoblocks and sold them in favour of the Icepower. During the time I had the Nord's I was never able to achieve the level of midrange (ie vocal) presence that I'm getting with the Mivera. Seems to be a real nice compliment to the big Harbeths.

By the way, I'm using Moray James power cables but I'm sure that there are a plethora of premium cable brands that could unleash the real potential of the 1200AS. It does reinforce, however the influence of mains cable.

That's my story...

Cheers,
    Dave

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Dave, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I've got my own builds of a 1200AS2, a Hypex NC500 with 'stock' (OEM) buffers and an SMPS3K700 power supply, a Hypex NC502MP and two PS Audio 'monoblock' amps built with Icepower 700AS1s.

I just completed the 1200AS2 today using a Ghent chassis and Ghent supplied wiring harnesses/wires (he screwed up and got the left channel's input wiring harness pinout wrong), so I've only listened to it for about 45 minutes. Sounded good right out the gate.

Be happy to entertain any comparison requests and if you're in Austin, TX might even be able to arrange some listening tests with one of the two systems in my home.

I honestly doubt that there are any benefits to using boutique expensive power cables with a switch mode power supply. The biggest trace in the PCB couldn't be even equivalent to 12AWG. I've swapped a few in and out and noticed nothing. Absolutely no difference using my PS Audio DirectStream (sr.) DAC and JBL Project Array 1400s connected with Canare 4S11 cables.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Can anyone share the retail price for their IcePower 1200AS2 amps? I see that Nord's page is not up yet and from what I hear Minerva was "blowing out" some of these things last year, but I cannot find any current listing.

I just built mine yesterday as a hobby project and have listed it for sale on Craigslist, but I'm not sure if forum rules allow me to post a link. I have priced mine at $1000 which is exactly my cost MINUS shipping. I'm using a Ghent solid aluminum chassis and stock Icepower and Ghent internal wiring/harnesses. May upgrade the AC mains leads to a heavier gauge just for peace of mind, but it works great now - it's been tested and burned in for about 3 hours, continuing to improve with time.

Anyway just wondering if my price is too high for the market as again I'm selling at less than my cost - I just have too many amps sitting around (including a yet to be built Hypex NC502MP that I am also probably going to sell).

Any input appreciated!

P.S. I am having trouble uploading reasonably sized files but can add pics if any interest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's close to the price of Mike's last batch built with the Ghent cases. The Nord prices have been up for months.

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/prod...00as2-in-black
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

That's interesting about Nord because this is the page that is linked on his Products listGdmnit....I can't include a link until I've made 10 posts). I will see if I can find a way to do this...

Nothing about pricing or options - so maybe something is wrong with my browser. I've been checking in for a few months, and before today I encountered an "Coming Soon" banner, but never any pricing. Your link does work, but I wonder - how did you navigate there from his main page?

ww w . nordacoustics DOT co DOT uk/nord-two-ice-power-1200as2-power-am

Remove spaces here and replace dots with "."

No pricing, options or other specifics provided.

WTH is wrong with the software here? I've tried several times to upload an image or just to edit and when I do nothing happens. Here's what I see at Nord's page for the 1200AS2. I can't even post a pic OR link until after 10 posts? LOL.....guess you'll just have to take my word for it. LOL

On second viewing there are 1200AS2 prices up above in the screen shot I posted, but I guess I didn't think to look there. I did check out his product page and wow looks like he's using even thinner gauge wire for the AC mains internally than I am, so I don't feel bad anymore. Guess I'll leave mine as is with 12AWG...his looks like 14 at most.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Village Tricycle View Post
    WTH is wrong with the software here? I've tried several times to upload an image or just to edit and when I do nothing happens. Here's what I see at Nord's page for the 1200AS2. I can't even post a pic OR link until after 10 posts? LOL.....guess you'll just have to take my word for it. LOL

On second viewing there are 1200AS2 prices up above in the screen shot I posted, but I guess I didn't think to look there. I did check out his product page and wow looks like he's using even thinner gauge wire for the AC mains internally than I am, so I don't feel bad anymore. Guess I'll leave mine as is with 12AWG...his looks like 14 at most.
    Yes, you have to get to 10 posts before posting a picture. It’s a rule we have in place to cut down on spammers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Last edited by joeinid; July 10, 2019 at 07:59 AM.
    1. ITX PC - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800SL - Thiel CS3.7
    2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NCMP6200 - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000
    3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Audeze LCDi3 - Neumann KH 80 DSP
    4. Phone - TempoTec Sonata E44 - Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk
    5. PC - Meizu HiFi DAC - Moondrop Chu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil A View Post
    I can answer that one. My amp will be the first one. I spoke to Ric on Thursday and hoping my amp goes out this week. If I don't hear about shipping by the end of this Thursday, I'll give him a call.
    Any updates on this yet Phil?

Quote Originally Posted by daspringham View Post
    Any updates on this yet Phil?
    Spoke to Ric yesterday (as well as last Thursday - he called yesterday to see if I saw the updated picture on his website of the inside which he told me he'd do over the weekend). I'm hoping to get a shipping notice today or tomorrow (there is a 3 hour time difference). The pics on the website are of my amp. He corrected the date at the top of the amp page (had 2018 - I told him about it yesterday). He covered his proprietary stuff with a piece of felt in the picture (as described in the caption above it),
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

By the way, Apollon also has a dual mono 1200AS based amplifier. They list it as multichannel, with 4 channels available. But if one uses only channels 1 and 3 and leave channels 2 and 4 unused, it is the same thing: one channel per module, dual mono. Perhaps there is the option to order without the additional connectors and binding posts, stereo only, but then lose the flexibility of using 4 channels in the future. Anyway, cool 1200W in 4 ohms per channel and complete separation without being monoblocks. Or just buy 2 stereo units and use only 1 channel as a monoblock.

https://www.apollonaudio.com/icepowe...-fi-amplifier/

1. ITX PC - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800SL - Thiel CS3.7
    2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NCMP6200 - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000
    3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Audeze LCDi3 - Neumann KH 80 DSP
    4. Phone - TempoTec Sonata E44 - Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk
    5. PC - Meizu HiFi DAC - Moondrop Chu

anyone used/heard new Bruno Putzey's Purifi 1ET400 amp module?
    Does it stack up well to 1200AS2?

Indeed, we thought our MKII NC500 much better than the 1200AS2 though on value they win.
    The Purifi 1ET400A is very good has a certain naturalness about it.
    We just obtained 20 pre mass production made locally in Denmark prior to large quantaties from far east, they come at a slight premium.
    Now live on our website available to order.
    http://www.nordacoustics.co.uk Nord Acoustics design and manufacture Nord Amplifiers in the UK. Hypex and ICE Power Amplifier Stereo to 8 Channel Amplifiers. We ship Worldwide.

It is always a pleasure to see how Apollon assemble their wares, even though in this case it is "just" a board in a case, there is some elegance.

guys,
    anyone has done passive bi-amping (so two 1200AS2 stereo modules like the Apollon above + keeping passive crossovers in the speakers + using Y-spliter on the balanced XLR cables with signal out of the preamp) with 1200AS2?
    Was the sound quality improvement really audible and worth it?

Please advise, especially if you have actually physically done it and tested one 1200AS2 vs biamped two 1200AS2 on a pair of passive speakers.

thanks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New B&O ICE Power 1200AS2 Module @ Nord: 600W into 8Ohms 1200W into 4Ohms