Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: New B&O ICE Power 1200AS2 Module @ Nord: 600W into 8Ohms 1200W into 4Ohms

It ought to be sitting on red carpet for the paparazzi!

I saw one of these amps in person or one that looks a lot like it. They are striking in person, really pieces of art. The one that was on display had a big scratch across it and all I could think of is how much it would cost to fix it.

Barrows, regarding the NC500 you make a very good point. The fact they are duel mono and they cost double the 1200as2 it's not really a fair comparison. I think for the money it would be hard to beat the 1200as2. But like AJ says it all subjective anyway. My take away after listening to this amp for several weeks is that class D has opened the door for really good sound without spending huge amounts of money. I haven't heard the NC500 but even if I did and thought it sounded better I'm not sure I would spend the money. If it sounded a LOT better then maybe a different story.

It will be good to get more feedback once more people have heard both. Borrows is right, comparing the amps needs to be more of an apples to apples process if anything meaningful is going to surface from it.

Yeah Greg. I do not (yet) know the OEM price of the 1200 AS! modules, but I bet it is affordable enough that a dual mono version of the amp would still be quite reasonably priced (mono blocks of course would be more for the case, etc). I really want to build a dual mono 1200 AS1 amp myself, and may get on that at some point here...
    Product Development Consultant for Sonore

Audirvana Plus-Sonore Signature Rendu SE-Buffalo PRO (ESS 9038)/Mercury I/V stage DAC-NC400 amp-Focus Audio FS-888 speakers-JL E112 sub-Synergistic Powercell 8 UEF-Nordost Tyr USB cable-Nordost Frey analog cables-DIY power cables

Barrows,

My understanding is that the 1200as2 is about half of the NC500 board. I was told that the price between the as1 and as2 is minimal and almost not worth waiting. If you purchase two as2 modules instead you would always have the option of making two amps.

I forgot to add, if you do find out how to buy a 1200as2 module by itself I may be interested in purchasing one. It would be fun to put one together myself and since you don't have to do anything special to them it should be pretty easy.

Hi,
    New to this forum. I hope this is a super mellow place to share our experience and thoughts.

Here are my thoughts on the 1200AS2:

1. If you are already selling the Hypex Ncore amps and then comes along a cheaper module that is better and you claim it is, then you will never sell another Ncore amp and all your modules, chassis and power supplies have to be thrown away. I personally would not trust anyone who sells both to tell you what is really going on. There are already two people who have A/Bed the Nord one up to the 1200AS2 and both found the 1200AS2 to be sonically better. I would trust these people over those that sell both modules. There will be more doing these comparisons in the future too. I was going to give some links to the A/Bs but the Minerva forum on Audiocircle is gone and so are all the threads. One of these two A/Bs were using two 1200AS2 modules (two stereo chassis) and the other was a single stereo module.

2. Dual mono.....I have no reason to doubt that dual mono 1200AS2s or 1s would sound better. However, it looks like even one beats the Nc500.

3. Wire, connectors and chassis: Everything makes a difference. What brand of solder, directionality of wires, damping.....everything.....this is my experience playing in this game for 40 years. All brands of amps using the same module will sound slightly different from each other. However, there is much more to making good sound than using the worlds greatest wire, connectors and heavy chassis. I will be introducing a 1200AS2 based amp later this summer that will have lots of "other stuff added and done". These things will make it sound mucho better than any other 1200AS2 amp.....hopefully....have not done this yet.....just know what I can do. I will have 3 stereo amps out on tour in a month or so, so everyone can verify themselves how good this amp is versus whatever.

4. Balanced.......years ago I heard a modded NC400 here and listened to it single ended and then balanced. The same brand and type of interconnect was used and the source was pure balanced or unbalanced (modded Oppo 105). Balanced sounded much better.....even from the kitchen it sounded "more real".

I cannot wait to tweak this amp!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is going to be fun.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Ric, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thanks for having me.

It looks like the Mivera Forum on Audiocircle is back up but most of the threads have been binned. I don't want to search through the binned threads to find the A/Bs with the NC500 and 1200AS2 amps. They do exist though. There will be plenty of people who will A/B them in the future.

Rick, There was also a user on one of those threads who listened to both and he said it was a toss up with him leaning to the NC500, he owned both.

Do you really think these other companies are saying the NC500 is better just so they don't have to eat their remaining inventory? This would mean they would no longer be selling the NC500 once their inventory is depleted, I guess we shall see.

One of the disadvantages to the 1200as2 is you cannot change opamps to adjust the sound to your liking. I know you think wire and connectors can make huge differences but I personally would spend my money on room treatments anyday. Or for that matter better equipment in general. You can't dig gold out of a coal mine.

Yes, heaven forbid someone prefers one or the other module (or a tie!) subjectively for no other reason, rather than anything duplicitous.
    If I'm to understand the logic correctly, someone who sells both isn't to be trusted, but someone who sells one, is?
    That makes little sense to me, YMMV.

AJ,
    I don't think you should trust any dealer or manufacturer (including me)..........trust your ears. But if people A/B in their own home and have no affiliation with either company then their feedback is certainly the most trustworthy. This is why I am going to be sending out 3 amps on tour. You will get some serious no nonsense feedback that way (and nothing I can control).

Greg,
    I followed those threads everyday and I don't remember anyone preferring a Nord one up to the 1200AS. There is one of Mike's customers that has his one off $12,000 integrated DAC/slagle volume control/NC500 in one box. However, the NC500 in that box has no input stage. It is being driven by the single discrete op amps on the output of the DAC. You cannot buy an NC500 amp this way. It needs an input stage. This person did say he preferred the internal NC500 module to the external 1200AS2. If you have a link to another person who says they preferred the Nord amp or other NC500 amp, I would like to see it.

There are a lot of things that can improve the sound besides wire, connectors and case. I will have a lot of stuff inside my box.....and I will be doing some serious tweaking. We shall see what it brings. You don't need to change op amps on the input to make the sound better. I am not going to reveal the heart of my product until it is in production but here are a couple of things that I will be doing with wire and connectors that are not generally done that I have mentioned on forums:

1. Binding post bypass system: You bring the wire through a hole in the chassis and put it though the hole on the outside of the binding post. This way you are just clamping your speaker wire spade or bare wire directly to the wire that goes inside the amp...bypassing the "meat" of the binding post. I have been doing this for years and this kind of post system is totally useable and has better sound than any binding post available.

2. Wire directionality: All wire sounds best in a particular direction.....you can hear this with 2 inches of wire. All wires inside my amp will be oriented for best sound. Very few people know about this or do this.

These two things above are just the tip of the iceberg..........One option I will have is hardwired interconnect. There has never been an amp with no input connectors on it. These kind of things all make the sound better and when you do a bunch of things like this and "even more" then you get an entirely different level of performance. This has been my experience. Obviously, these are just words. All things will be known to those that have patience and persistence.

Quote Originally Posted by barrows View Post
    One thing I would point out is that comparisons of the 1200 AS2 to amps using NC-500 modules does not seem fair. Most of the NC-500 builds being used for comparison are dual mono amps with completely separate power supplies for each channel. In my experience full dual mono designs have an advantage in terms of sound staging and often dynamics as well.
    I am looking forward to seeing what happens when we get a true dual mono amp with two 1200 AS1 boards (or mono blocks, whatever) as this should be what is compared to the dual mono Nord amps (etc) based on two SMPS 1200 and two NC-500 modules.
    The 1200AS1 is the same board as 1200AS2 with some parts on one channel de-popped and with the same power supply - this is a very standard h/w design pattern for board designs. I have the Nords One up (and have both the SI and Sparkos) monoblock and also use two Takachi 1200AS2 chassis (from Mivera) using only one channel on each amp which is equivalent to monoblock configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric Schultz View Post
    Hi,
    New to this forum. I hope this is a super mellow place to share our experience and thoughts.

Here are my thoughts on the 1200AS2:

1. If you are already selling the Hypex Ncore amps and then comes along a cheaper module that is better and you claim it is, then you will never sell another Ncore amp and all your modules, chassis and power supplies have to be thrown away. I personally would not trust anyone who sells both to tell you what is really going on.
    Yes, I would agree. Anyone believing the manufacturers of both the amp that one sounds better than the other is silly.

Moreover, folks without any experience with any of the 1200as or Nords would give their expert opinion which is rather annoying.

There are already two people who have A/Bed the Nord one up to the 1200AS2 and both found the 1200AS2 to be sonically better. I would trust these people over those that sell both modules. There will be more doing these comparisons in the future too. I was going to give some links to the A/Bs but the Minerva forum on Audiocircle is gone and so are all the threads. One of these two A/Bs were using two 1200AS2 modules (two stereo chassis) and the other was a single stereo module.
    Yeah, that would be me. I am the only one who bought two of them to run in a monoblock config. here is the early review from AC:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.ph...700#msg1660700

2. Dual mono.....I have no reason to doubt that dual mono 1200AS2s or 1s would sound better. However, it looks like even one beats the Nc500.
    I agree but I don't think there is a difference between 2 and 1s provided you run the 2s single channel. The 1s are the same 2s with some parts on one channel de-popped - very standard board design.

3. Wire, connectors and chassis: Everything makes a difference. What brand of solder, directionality of wires, damping.....everything.....this is my experience playing in this game for 40 years. All brands of amps using the same module will sound slightly different from each other. However, there is much more to making good sound than using the worlds greatest wire, connectors and heavy chassis. I will be introducing a 1200AS2 based amp later this summer that will have lots of "other stuff added and done". These things will make it sound mucho better than any other 1200AS2 amp.....hopefully....have not done this yet.....just know what I can do. I will have 3 stereo amps out on tour in a month or so, so everyone can verify themselves how good this amp is versus whatever.

I cannot wait to tweak this amp!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is going to be fun.
    I would be interested to hear one of yours.

This thread is finally getting some momentum.
    I'm no expert in these matters but I find it very interesting.
    Boenicke Audio W11 Speakers with SwingBase; MFA Baby Reference V2 Passive Preamp; Lumin T2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Ortofon 2M Blue; Michael Fidler MM Pro; 2 x REL S/510; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-VW290ES; 103" Screen Excellence Enlightor Neo; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony UBP-X800M2; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

Devg,

I don't understand what you mean by this, are you missing a word?

Devg said: Anyone believing the manufacturers of both the amp that one sounds better than the other is silly.

Are you saying a manufacturer wouldn't say which one they think is better and that I'm lying about it? Or are you saying like Rick, that the people selling both these amps are lying as to which on is better?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
    Devg,

I don't understand what you mean by this, are you missing a word?

Devg said: Anyone believing the manufacturers of both the amp that one sounds better than the other is silly.

Are you saying a manufacturer wouldn't say which one they think is better and that I'm lying about it? Or are you saying like Rick, that the people selling both these amps are lying as to which on is better?
    Please don't put words in my mouth! I never said Nord/whomever is lying about which amp is better. I am just saying it is possible.....especially given the feedback of the Mivera versus the Nord. Maybe they listened and actually feel that the NC500 is better. What I am saying is that they cannot be trusted to give an objective "truth".....since they have much to lose if they said the cheaper one is better.

None of this matters. What matters is what people hear when they compare the amps. Let us wait for more direct feedback.

Well, the AS1200 exhibits more HF phase shift than the AS700...and here is one trusted audiophiles impression vs the Ncore
    Go figure that one. Maybe age related?

cheers,

AJ

Now isn't that funny. Your "trusted audiophile" is none other than Mike (bavmike, Mivera Audio, Blizzard, etc.). Mivera Audio is using the 1200AS2 and claims it sounds way better than anything in the world....he he. He thinks the more than 10 year old design of the AS700 is very dated and that this new IcePower IceEdge module is better than Ncore. These kind of measurement things really don't mean much of anything. Please listen to the module versus another module and decide for yourself. Age related? Mike is a youngster by my measurement (I am 70). Everyone says the highs on the 1200AS2 are really great. Again, please listen.

Mivera Audio is using the 1200AS2 and claims it sounds way better than anything in the world....he he. He thinks the more than 10 year old design of the AS700 is very dated
    Rick, that sure looks like a "latest and greatest" 700AS2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rick, I clearly addressed my question to Devg, did you miss that? I find it sad that someone would put all vendors in a box that says "not to be trusted". It makes me wonder about the people who say things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Rick, that sure looks like a "latest and greatest" 700AS2
    I was just reading about someone who really likes this module, I don't think it's old though.

Greg, you said that I said that they are lying.....so I responded to that part since I never said that.

All vendors are not in a box. Some are totally trustworthy. I did not say that "all vendors cannot be trusted". Again, you are putting words in my mouth.

Aj,
    The AS700 is an old design that was updated recently......but still very old technology. The IceEdge technology is the new IcePower technology. They have been working on it for 7 years. Please do some research. The 1200AS2 in the one and only module from Icepower that uses the IceEdge technology and was just released in Nov.

I cannot yet add an attachment but if you search you will find a very long article on Audioxpress about the IceEdge technology.

Okay Rick,

You're right, you didn't say they are lying exactly.

You said: I personally would not trust anyone who sells both to tell you what is really going on.

Surprisingly enough, a similar thread was started in Audiogon which was taken down and then it popped up here with the same words. Folks who doesn't own amp from any of the manufacturers are recommending them without any experience what so ever. Even before buying this amp, I had asked Colin about them (he had the sample 1200as2 at that time) and he said he preferred the nc500 but I wanted to hear it myself and there is no doubt the 1200as2 beats the nc500 in my system.

Both amps, the 1200AS2 and Nords NC500 (w/ SI 994) are transparent in nature and their sonic signature is also very similar - I have A/B them in two systems (mine and friend's system with Verity speakers) couple of times so far but in both the cases I prefer the 1200AS2.

http://www.audioxpress.com/news/ICEp...ifiers-To-Date Summer 2015 for the 700ASC not seven years ago.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Yes, it came out in fall of 2014 but is still based on the very old technology developed 10 years ago or more (updated somewhat). Only this new IceEdge technology is the really new stuff (7 years in development). I am not saying the 700 is not good. PS Audio is using it in their class D amps with zero feedback buffers ahead of it.....getting some nice reviews. One of the first amps I want to A/B with my 1200AS2 will be the mono block PS Audio amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    Surprisingly enough, a similar thread was started in Audiogon which was taken down and then it popped up here with the same words. Folks who doesn't own amp from any of the manufacturers are recommending them without any experience what so ever. Even before buying this amp, I had asked Colin about them (he had the sample 1200as2 at that time) and he said he preferred the nc500 but I wanted to hear it myself and there is no doubt the 1200as2 beats the nc500 in my system.
    Dev, I started the thread on Agon and yes because of a bunch of trolls it was taken down. I did not start this thread if that's what you are implying.

I have listened to the 1200as2 for several weeks now in my very revealing system and I think it is very good as I have said. I have not heard the the NC500 which is why I pointed to the vendors who sell them and what they told me directly. I have heard the NC400 and it didn't sound anywhere near as good as the 1200as2 to me.

I don't recall anyone recommending the 1200as2 who hasn't heard it but maybe I missed that post.

Dev, I started the thread on Agon and yes because of a bunch of trolls it was taken down. I did not start this thread if that's what you are implying.

I have listened to the 1200as2 for several weeks now in my very revealing system and I think it is very good as I have said. I have not heard the the NC500 which is why I pointed to the vendors who sell them and what they told me directly. I have heard the NC400 and it didn't sound anywhere near as good as the 1200as2 to me.

I don't recall anyone recommending the 1200as2 who hasn't heard it but maybe I missed that post.
    are you sure of it ? weren't you the one who recommended the amps from Nords and other manufacturers without hearing any of them ? how do you know they all sound the same ?

*@*
    Last edited by mresseguie; May 19, 2018 at 07:50 PM. Reason: A new thought

Quote Originally Posted by barrows View Post
    One thing I would point out is that comparisons of the 1200 AS2 to amps using NC-500 modules does not seem fair. Most of the NC-500 builds being used for comparison are dual mono amps with completely separate power supplies for each channel. In my experience full dual mono designs have an advantage in terms of sound staging and often dynamics as well.
    I am looking forward to seeing what happens when we get a true dual mono amp with two 1200 AS1 boards (or mono blocks, whatever) as this should be what is compared to the dual mono Nord amps (etc) based on two SMPS 1200 and two NC-500 modules.
    I think that they cannot easily be compared because the new IceEdge based line is an "all in one" design with the PSU on the same board and input buffer integrated with the comparator on a single chip. This means three things: first, that the reletive placement of components is already optimised to reduce interferences; second, that the tolerances for the input buffer are much tighter than what you would expect of discrete buffers, even more so with discrete opamps; and third, the IceEdge must be treated as a single object with 26/29 Db of gain whereas the NC500 is just the final stage of a power amp with a 16Db gain (IIRC).

Hence they are two fundamentally different objects, but most importantly it is easy to cripple the performance of NC500 based amps by not properly matching or at least not properly sourcing high quality components for the input buffers and, even more importantly, by placing the boards in a suboptimal way inside the amp, causing electromagnetic interferences. The latter in particular may make a big difference since class D amps are known to be extremely sensitive to that. With the IceEdge stuff, you just put it in a case, finito.

Which one is better of course I do not know. Because of the scarce availability of 1200AS2 modules in Europe until recently, months ago I opted for the Apollon NC500 based moniblocks with SI opamps (these have correct placement of PSU wrt the other boards). I would be very curious to listen to 1200AS1 based monoblocks, until then I cannot judge – but I would not he surprised if some NC500 based ones rated better and other worse, just as a consequence of internal design, even if they use (different) input boards with the same opamps. In my limited DIY experience I have observed noticeable sound changes just by slightly reorientating transformers, twisting power supply cables, rerouting the latter differently, etc...

Roberto

Dropped in the Nord 1200 tonight in place of my Hattor NC500 based mono amps. Out of the gate the 1200 throws a spectacular soundstage, left, right, front, back and up. Very 3D and airy sounding with almost exaggerated detail. Sounding a little thin but it is early. A crazy contrast I thought about as I carried the Nord in the house under one arm. I remember needing a hand truck and some serious heave ho to get my Parasound A21 in the house. Maybe this is why it sounds a little thin
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

So Marty,

That's two of you on this thread who are saying you like the 1200as2 better than the NC500 in your systems, that's good to know.

I wonder how much these conclusions are due to the op amps used in the NC500 based amps? Since that and the power supply are the only significant changes to be made IMO to alter the sound.

I assume you are running both amps balanced?

Greg I didn't say it was better but it is definitely different. Some attributes are better and some are not. I will need more time listening to each before I can say that I prefer one over the other. Stay tuned.

Yes I run a balanced signal from source to amps.

So Marty,

That's two of you on this thread who are saying you like the 1200as2 better than the NC500 in your systems, that's good to know.

I wonder how much these conclusions are due to the op amps used in the NC500 based amps? Since that and the power supply are the only significant changes to be made IMO to alter the sound.

I assume you are running both amps balanced?
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Hey Marty,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, you did say it was sounding a little thin along with your praise of it. When I first started listening I didn't think it sounded thin really but I did hear some hissing and harshness on the top end. That didn't last very long though. The 1200 does throw a good soundstage in my room as well. I've heard better but always at the cost of something else.

Maybe when you have more time on the 1200as2 you could elaborate on the differences you hear between the two amps.

Hey Greg what amps were you using prior to the 1200AS?

Hey Marty,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, you did say it was sounding a little thin along with your praise of it. When I first started listening I didn't think it sounded thin really but I did hear some hissing and harshness on the top end. That didn't last very long though. The 1200 does throw a good soundstage in my room as well. I've heard better but always at the cost of something else.

Maybe when you have more time on the 1200as2 you could elaborate on the differences you hear between the two amps.
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Hey Greg what amps were you using prior to the 1200AS?
    If you're asking which ones I've used that throw a better sound stage I can answer that.

A friend brought over some 845 based amps, I can't recall the brand right now. These threw the biggest soundstage I have ever heard and sounded magical but they were a just little dark for my liking and not as quiet. In fact the noise floor wasn't that great. My Butler 2250 throws a huge soundstage and sounds very similar to the 1200as2 in tone but it's not as quiet either. I would say it is at least as big, maybe a little bigger than the 1200as2. The other amp is also a friends amp, the Don Sach Kootanay 200 which also threw a huge soundstage in my room. That amp I would be hard pressed to find flaw with and it may be better than the 1200as2. But since it isn't mine I haven't had a lot of time with it. The worst amp for soundstage I have heard in my system is the Crown XLS1500. This amp is classic class D in that it has a somewhat harsh top end, it's thin sounding and the soundstage is very small. In fact it wins for the smallest soundstage I've heard in my room to date.

Any more comparisons?
    Boenicke Audio W11 Speakers with SwingBase; MFA Baby Reference V2 Passive Preamp; Lumin T2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Ortofon 2M Blue; Michael Fidler MM Pro; 2 x REL S/510; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-VW290ES; 103" Screen Excellence Enlightor Neo; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony UBP-X800M2; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

I'm in the middle of comparing Red Dragon m500 monos (Icepower but not the 1200asp; I'm not sure which module I know its fairly recent vintage...can anyone enlighten me?) against the Red Dragon S500 stereo amp utilizing Pascal modules against Bel Canto REf600s using the Ncore NC500 and soon to have a big Bryston in house as well. I love the midrange liquidity of the ice power amps and they have upper midrange and lower high-end "air" around the instruments not harsh in any way mind you that the REf600s can't match. I had high hopes for the Bel Canto amps but they just sound muffled througout the upper midrange and lower highs to me. I get the Bryston tomorrow and will have some additional comments there. There are numerous folks who are pushing me in the direction of high-biased class A amps like the Pass (whose opinions I respect) but I have no Pass dealer in Atlanta and without hearing the Pass on my speakers I'm not likely to purchase new. I could purchase the Pass used with the hope that if I don't like the amps I can sell them but even then there's not that much market for Pass on the used market even at half retail. They sit out there forever. But I'm leaning toward that route. Of course its hard to lug two 100 pound amplifiers around to customer's home so that they can "try" them. I'm surprised (but grateful) that the Bryston dealer is willing to do this. I've purchased other gear from that dealer however and he knows me. I'm interested in hearing how the NEW cubed Bryston series sounds on my speakers because the last iteration sounded screechy and harsh to me on the highs. So MORE TO COME. Any comments are welcome.
    Aesthetix Janus (also Aesthetix Calypso), Aesthetix Atlas, Red Dragon M500, Bel Canto Ref600 (presently on loan), Bel Canto S300, Bel Canto M300, Woo Audio WA2 headphone amp, Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla headphones, Thiel 2.4s, vpi table & arm, dynavector diamond, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BIT-20 isolation transformer/AC line conditioner.

Is there a big difference between the Red Dragon m500 monos and the Red Dragon S500 stereo amp ?
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Is there a big difference between the Red Dragon m500 monos and the Red Dragon S500 stereo amp ?
    He mentioned the m500 used ICEPower (not 1200 AS2) and the s500 used Pascal, so I would expect a significant difference.

I am surprised pwhinson found the bel canto REF 600 (Ncore) to have less high frequency air than the ICEpower and Pascal based amps, I hear that the opposite way with Ncore having a distinct advantage in the high frequencies over other class D approaches I have heard (but i have not heard bel canto's implementation of Ncore). Ncore takes a lot of break in, I would make sure the bel cantos have plenty of time on them. And most class D amps I have dealt with need 24 hours of warmup to sound their best, I leave mine powered up at all times because of this. Make sure the amps are warmed up for testing.
    Product Development Consultant for Sonore

Audirvana Plus-Sonore Signature Rendu SE-Buffalo PRO (ESS 9038)/Mercury I/V stage DAC-NC400 amp-Focus Audio FS-888 speakers-JL E112 sub-Synergistic Powercell 8 UEF-Nordost Tyr USB cable-Nordost Frey analog cables-DIY power cables

It took about a month of 24/7 on my 1200as2 based amp for the harshness to go away. I wonder if all class D amps need long break in? I'm still not completely satisfied with the amp since on good recordings it sound fantastic but on not so good recording, mostly from the 70s and 80s the music can sound pretty harsh on the upper registers. I do like the company I bought the amp from though. They are Rouge Audio out of Italy. They custom build amps using all of the various class D amp modules. The amp is very well built and looks really good with its 10mm thick faceplate. It also came in a nice flight case which I wasn't expecting.

It took about a month of 24/7 on my 1200as2 based amp for the harshness to go away. I wonder if all class D amps need long break in? I'm still not completely satisfied with the amp since on good recordings it sound fantastic but on not so good recording, mostly from the 70s and 80s the music can sound pretty harsh on the upper registers. I do like the company I bought the amp from though. They are Rouge Audio out of Italy. They custom build amps using all of the various class D amp modules. The amp is very well built and looks really good with its 10mm thick faceplate. It also came in a nice flight case which I wasn't expecting.
    Any link to the Rouge Audio website? When I search I end up with Rouge Audio in PA

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlight View Post
    Any link to the Rouge Audio website? When I search I end up with Rouge Audio in PA
    Here is a link to their website, I worked with Francis who is great to deal with. https://www.rougeaudiodesign.com/

I see you have a big 7, I have an Atlantic Plus with volume and couldn't be happier. Now I'm trying to find an amp that keeps the magic in tact to go along with it. I do like the 1200as2 based amps but for me a good tube amp is hard to beat.

BTW, the US company is Rogue Audio, not Rouge Audio. I was tripped up myself at first, the spelling is so close I didn't notice it.

Greg

Thank you for the link, Greg!
    How is that Italian-made amp holding up today?
    It's been a while since you've shared you'd got it. I wondered if you still like it and if your impressions of it had changed in any way?

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Had a chance yesterday to listen to Acoustic Invader D class power amp based on the IcePower 1200s2 modules driven by Einstein The Preamp driving Boenicke W8SE+. Source was Lampi Golden Atlantic+ TRP.
    Previous combo was with Accuphase E550 integrated and the combo tube preamp with D class power amp just demolished Accu in any way you can imagine.
    I was never a D class believer but after this experiance i might be ordering one to have it, as it sounds mighty good and neutral. Seems to me that good tube preamp is the the great solution in obtaining tube sound signature while still having plenty of juice provided by D class monster. This AI one is also very nicely done in terms of aesthetics while deploying top notch wiring, connectors, etc.
    Overall great Sunday afternoon experiance...
    LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

Hi

Why this post has gone cold all of a sudden?

Anyone else who had a chance to A/B 1200AS2 vs Hypex (500 / 1200) or Pascal (e.g. in Gato Audio) ?
    What are your thoughts?
    Is really 1200AS2 the most advanced Class D amp on the planet at the moment?

Ric Schultz - how is your work going? Are you finished? Can you share with us what you got please?

Is there any other thread on the net which lists best things to do in order to make 1200AS2 perform its absolute best?
    From this thread and also from Ric was saying/advising I got:
    -hardwired interconnect
    -bypassing speaker terminals entirely (added cost, negative impact on sound but --> limited practicality and safety)
    -connect only via balanced/XLR
    -using high quality and good brand solder
    -6A (for europe's 230V) RF/EMI filter made by Shaffner or rather use choke filter for chassis ground only (??)
    -no front button switch (high current amp via cheap chinese switch = big no no)
    -pay attention to directionality of cables and fit them in proper direction
    anything else really important that can be done?

I was thinking about the breaker.
    Wouldn't it be wise to change the factory breaker for something of good quality and brand make ? (I am not saying stupidly priced audiophile breakers but something really decent).
    And maybe some kind of vibration feet to the chassis? If yes, which ones are really good and don't cost an arm and a leg?

thanks guys for your input and advice

Hi

Anyone else who had a chance to A/B 1200AS2 vs Hypex (500 / 1200) or Pascal (e.g. in Gato Audio) ?
    What are your thoughts?

Ric Schultz - how is your work going? Are you finished? Can you share with us what you got please?

Is there any other thread on the net which lists best things to do in order to make 1200AS2 perform its absolute best?
    -hardwired interconnect
    -bypassing speaker terminals entirely (added cost, negative impact on sound but --> limited practicality and safety)
    -6A (for europe's 230V) RF/EMI filter made by Shaffner or rather use choke filter for chassis ground only (??)

I was thinking about the breaker/fuse.
    Wouldn't it be wise to change the factory fuse for something of good quality and brand make ? (I am not saying stupidly priced audiophile breakers but something really decent).
    And maybe some kind of vibration feet to the chassis? If yes, which ones are really good and don't cost an arm and a leg?

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsy View Post
    Hi

What are your thoughts?

-hardwired interconnect

I was thinking about the breaker/fuse.
    Wouldn't it be wise to change the factory fuse for something of good quality and brand make ? (I am not saying stupidly priced audiophile breakers but something really decent).

Just wondering what is your experience with the amp?
    And what where you used to before?
    How does it compare?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New B&O ICE Power 1200AS2 Module @ Nord: 600W into 8Ohms 1200W into 4Ohms