Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

JL Audio Fathom 212 or REL 212/se

Looking for a sub to augment our Focal Sopra No3s. Leading contenders are the JL Audio Fathom 212 and the REL 212/SE. This system is used for audio and movies (always 2 channel). Large irregularly shaped room that includes more than just the listening area. Main amp is a bridged Ncore class D unit, which might make connection of a REL a little more difficult.

i had been considering the G1 mk2, but the other active thread convinced me otherwise. The JL and REL are quite similar on paper, though there's a significant price difference (4K vs 7k).

Closest dealers for both brands are roughly 400 miles away, so auditioning may be difficult (though not impossible).
    Jeff

Main System
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100H; Disc Player: Oppo UDP-205; DAC: Topping D90SE; Preamp: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; Power Amp: ATI AT542NC; Speakers: Focal Sopra No. 3; Cables: Wireworld, Kimber, Cullin; Power: Ansuz Mainz8 X-TC, PS Audio Dectet, Furutech outlets

Basement Media Room
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100SC; Disc Player: Panasonic DB-UP9000; Surround Pre/Pro: Monoprice Monolith HTP-1; Power Amps: Apollon NC1200SL (custom 3-channel w/Sparkos SS2590 op amps), Apollon AS3600 6-channel; Speakers: Focal Kanta No. 3, Kanta Center, 300 ICW8 (x6); Subwoofer: Rythmik F18SE (x2); Cables: Wireworld, BlueJeans; Power: Torus RM20, Furman Elite 20PFi; Room Correction: Dirac Live w/ Bass Control; Video: Sony 77" A9G OLED

Re: JL Audio Fathom 212 or REL 212/se

I have a JL 112 (currently not being used) and two 212s. Go the JL Audio route. You’ll be happy you did. I’ve been playing around with their subs for the past 22 years all the way back to when I was a punk kid putting them in my car stereo. They know how to build a world class sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Had a chance today to audition both brands while visiting family for the holidays (glad i looked to see what was available in town before we left for home!). The JL 212 (paired with Paradigm Persona 5s and McIntosh gear) just seemed boomy and overblown to us. Not at all musical, which was surprising. Could easily have bewn the setup, but we were assured it was all set up for smooth flat response, not movie boom. At the second store, the stereo REL G1v2's (with far superior Dynaudio C4s and Boulder gear) were much better integrated, to the point that it wasn't at all obvious what they were contributing. We were advised to try the G1 over the 212se based on our system and room, by the way. In the end, both brands were disappointing in their separate auditions, but for very different reasons. Oh, the REL passed the aesthetics test, but the JL failed badly. If we decide to continue, we'll probably try to get an in home audition of REL before we look at JL in any more detail.
    Jeff

Main System
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100H; Disc Player: Oppo UDP-205; DAC: Topping D90SE; Preamp: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; Power Amp: ATI AT542NC; Speakers: Focal Sopra No. 3; Cables: Wireworld, Kimber, Cullin; Power: Ansuz Mainz8 X-TC, PS Audio Dectet, Furutech outlets

Basement Media Room
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100SC; Disc Player: Panasonic DB-UP9000; Surround Pre/Pro: Monoprice Monolith HTP-1; Power Amps: Apollon NC1200SL (custom 3-channel w/Sparkos SS2590 op amps), Apollon AS3600 6-channel; Speakers: Focal Kanta No. 3, Kanta Center, 300 ICW8 (x6); Subwoofer: Rythmik F18SE (x2); Cables: Wireworld, BlueJeans; Power: Torus RM20, Furman Elite 20PFi; Room Correction: Dirac Live w/ Bass Control; Video: Sony 77" A9G OLED

The Focal Sopra 3 speakers already have huge bass. Why do you need a sub?
    Living room:
    - McIntosh D1100
    - McIntosh MC601 mono blocks
    - Focal Sopra 2
    - McIntosh MCT450
    - Aurender N10

Office:
    - McIntosh D1100
    - McIntosh MC452
    - Focal Sopra 1 + Focal Utopia headphones
    - REL T9i subwoofer
    - Aurender N100C

If a (free) home demo is important, and you'd like to spend less, consider the SVS SB-4000 or 16 Ultra.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ered-subwoofer
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by blueoak View Post
    The Focal Sopra 3 speakers already have huge bass. Why do you need a sub?
    The intent was to fill out the bottom sub-bass octave. In our room, the Sopras have good output down to 30hz or so, but roll off pretty steeply after that. We listen to enough bass heavy music (organ, for example) and the room is large enough that it would be nice to augment that range. Some of the problem is our room layout, but that's essentially fixed since it's a living room before it's a media area.

The "free" audition isn't a deal breaker, nor is the cost, up to a point. The SVS seems more like a theater woofer, but we'll see if we can find one to hear.
    Jeff

Main System

Basement Media Room

If the JL audition sounded "boomy" something was wrong. Whenever hearing REL set up at our dealer I couldn't ever tell they did anything, so I'm thinking what's the point of having them. When I've heard JL in systems they've always been fast and punchy. In fact, my friend has six JL 12's in his system, I forget which model, the bass is there and accurate but not like you'd expect for 6 subs in a room, they are very well behaved.

Opinions are formed on our own experiences, mine cause me to believe REL is over rated.

Having a SVS, my guess is my PC13 would play lower than a JL but the JL I feel might be faster and being sealed, tighter. Then again, I only use the SVS for HT and response changes when the auto set up is ran. Just a side note the SVS seemed to blend with speakers like Dynaudio and Revel opposed to speakers like Klipsch or JBL. I suspect the crossover point is higher with the latter, which may cause the sub to be more noticeable, not disappear as well.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

No offense to Mac owners but comparing that bass to Boulder is definitely not apples to apples. IMO, the C4's are really nice sounding. My friend with the JL's lives in St. Peters, MO if you are ever over this way I can arrange a listen. His main speakers are Legacy V,

You may have without mentioning it, I like to ask for the sub to be turned off after hearing it in order to hear what exactly it was contricuting to the sound when on, if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FlyingYorkies View Post
    Had a chance today to audition both brands while visiting family for the holidays (glad i looked to see what was available in town before we left for home!). The JL 212 (paired with Paradigm Persona 5s and McIntosh gear) just seemed boomy and overblown to us. Not at all musical, which was surprising. Could easily have bewn the setup, but we were assured it was all set up for smooth flat response, not movie boom. At the second store, the stereo REL G1v2's (with far superior Dynaudio C4s and Boulder gear) were much better integrated, to the point that it wasn't at all obvious what they were contributing. We were advised to try the G1 over the 212se based on our system and room, by the way. In the end, both brands were disappointing in their separate auditions, but for very different reasons. Oh, the REL passed the aesthetics test, but the JL failed badly. If we decide to continue, we'll probably try to get an in home audition of REL before we look at JL in any more detail.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by 2FlyingYorkies View Post

The "free" audition isn't a deal breaker, nor is the cost, up to a point. The SVS seems more like a theater woofer, but we'll see if we can find one to hear.
    SVS pays RT shipping, so I'd suggest you try one. Or two.

I've owned REL, I own JL, and the new SVS subs are extremely good.
    Jon

I haven't owned many different subs, except JL and Paradigm. Just want to mention JL v2 subs are whole different ball game. My F113v2 blends perfectly with my Magico S3 mk1 for both music and HT.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team