Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Spock system (the importance of fine tuning)

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    I'm flattered by your interest, and I'd be glad if you could hear the cable. But, of course, I don't have any with the USA schuko connector. Maybe i´ll buy one!
    I´m not selling, unless i´m forced. Already happened with 4 of my friends. A funny and true story with one of them: I sent the cable for him to try. About a week later, I got a phone call saying: "We have problems. The cable has merged with the amplifier" (Burmester). Worried I replied: "WHAT?" He tells me in a serious tone: "yes, the cable has merged with the amplifier". I was so worried that I didn't realize it right away. Until, in a more "smiling" voice, he says to me: "the cable won't come out of here anymore. Tell me how much I owe you!"

Anyway, thanks for asking as I'm very proud to talk about my cables. After all, it took me years of trial and error to arrive at this result in terms of geometry. Lately I've been trying with different plugs and, with the last ones, was a HUGE difference.

(*) Note that the last videos were made with a modest Samsung cell phone.
    I'm sure that "cable merged with the amp" thing scared the hell outta ya for a moment. Too funny.

Well, you've got something going as I think some-to-many of your videos might substantiate.

My circumstances include my owning 3 fabulous passive line conditioners mfg'ed by Jena Labs for my source and my monoblocks. But they all have custom built-in power cables cryo-treated via the full-immersion method. In fact, since Jena Labs is kinda' the forerunner in cryo-treating in the high-end sector, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire line conditioner is cryo-treated.

BTW, Spock, if you've not tried cryo-treating you're cables, please do. At least one. I've been having everything electrical cryo-treated since 2005 that I reasonbly could. Then I got the idead to try double-cryo-treating for better performance still, even had my house-wiring double-cryo'ed. But, all treated as it turns out the inferior vapor method. Then around 2014, I was introduced by Jena Labs to the full-immersion method which is about twice the gains of the double-cryo'ed vapor method. Or as Jena Labs explained the two methods and their performance differences, "It's the equivalent of eating half-baked cookies vs fully-baked." That's an excellent way to put it.

Anyway, my reason for reaching out is for my two Rhythmik subwoofers. I'd prefer that each sub had their only dedicated line conditioner but they cost more than I prefer to spend at this time.

So my pair of 15" subs are only using a generic hospital-grade cryo-treated power cable for each. And based on the level of musicality I think I hear in many of your videos, it seems your words consistently substantiate your videos. From what I can tell, very nice.

Long story short, I have a hunch that if your PC's are a significant cause for your level of sound quality, there's no reason my subs shouldn't benefit in a somewhat simllar fashion, right?
    "The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt and extreme forms of vibration mgmt, the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. No, wait. It's all just variations of managing electrical energy" -me

Quote Originally Posted by Stehno View Post
    Well, you've got something going as I think some-to-many of your videos might substantiate.
    … it seems your words consistently substantiate your videos. From what I can tell, very nice.
    Thanks!
    The videos are meant to give a little idea that it is possible to make a system play far beyond what would be expected from the sum of its individual components. In my opinion, I've said it somewhere, about 50% of the sound is decided outside the active components. As the title of my topic says, fine tuning is really important.
    Videos are “more than words”. Do you know how much I would appreciate that skeptics (those who don't believe in cables and other tweaks) could show us the sound quality they have with the “lamp wire” they use?!

BTW, Spock, if you've not tried cryo-treating you're cables, please do.
    No. Cryo-treatment is a new and unknown world for me. I don't even know who would do this job here, in my country. But I'll ask... Thanks for the tip.

Long story short, I have a hunch that if your PC's are a significant cause for your level of sound quality, there's no reason my subs shouldn't benefit in a somewhat simllar fashion, right?
    Honestly, I don't know, given all the care you've already put into your installation, including the cryogenation of your cables.
    Furthermore, not all systems react in the same way to the influence of power cables. More: my cables also influence the performance of the subwoofer (mine) but it is mainly in the electronics that they are more noticeable. The music sounds free and uncompressed. There is much more "air" between the instruments.
    That said, for your interest and sympathy, and just to know your opinion, if you want, I would like you to try the cable.

Thanks!
    The videos are meant to give a little idea that it is possible to make a system play far beyond what would be expected from the sum of its individual components. In my opinion, I've said it somewhere, about 50% of the sound is decided outside the active components. As the title of my topic says, fine tuning is really important.
    Videos are “more than words”. Do you know how much I would appreciate that skeptics (those who don't believe in cables and other tweaks) could show us the sound quality they have with the “lamp wire” they use?!

No. Cryo-treatment is a new and unknown world for me. I don't even know who would do this job here, in my country. But I'll ask... Thanks for the tip.

Honestly, I don't know, given all the care you've already put into your installation, including the cryogenation of your cables.
    Furthermore, not all systems react in the same way to the influence of power cables. More: my cables also influence the performance of the subwoofer (mine) but it is mainly in the electronics that they are more noticeable. The music sounds free and uncompressed. There is much more "air" between the instruments.
    That said, for your interest and sympathy, and just to know your opinion, if you want, I would like you to try the cable.
    I would certainly enjoy that possibility. However, it may not be so reasonable nor practical for you because I've two subwoofers where one only requires a 6ft PC but the other is about 5ft further from its dedicated outlet.

With regard to the cryo-treating... IMO, whatever levels of improvement you think you're getting with your cables now, I'd venture you could tack on another 10 - 15% or so in ways of musicality, detail, etc. Since 2005 if I can't cryo-treat a cable for some reason, it's just not on my radar.
    "The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt and extreme forms of vibration mgmt, the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. No, wait. It's all just variations of managing electrical energy" -me

I would certainly enjoy that possibility. However, it may not be so reasonable nor practical for you because I've two subwoofers where one only requires a 6ft PC but the other is about 5ft further from its dedicated outlet.
    Well,
    You´re right. I think the "experience" is not possible.
    I make my cables with 1 meter, maximum 1.2 (about 4 ft ). And they give me a lot of work.
    Increasing the length, slightly increases the cost of materials but exponentially increases the work. With 3.3 m + 1.8 m would be many, many hours of work.
    Business wouldn't be good for one of us. A price that paid me for the hard work, would not be interesting for you, a friend's price would be uninteresting for me, because there are indeed many hours that involve physical strength and calluses on the fingers! And there is the shipping costs and other customs fees...

But I notice your attention to my topic, my videos and the association of the result to my cables. I'm grateful!

With regard to the cryo-treating... IMO, whatever levels of improvement you think you're getting with your cables now, I'd venture you could tack on another 10 - 15% or so in ways of musicality, detail, etc. Since 2005 if I can't cryo-treat a cable for some reason, it's just not on my radar.
    I am already searching information.
    10 % more is a lot. This topic got my attention. I´m curious!

Big hug.

Well,
    You´re right. I think the "experience" is not possible.
    I make my cables with 1 meter, maximum 1.2 (about 4 ft ). And they give me a lot of work.
    Increasing the length, slightly increases the cost of materials but exponentially increases the work. With 3.3 m + 1.8 m would be many, many hours of work.
    Business wouldn't be good for one of us. A price that paid me for the hard work, would not be interesting for you, a friend's price would be uninteresting for me, because there are indeed many hours that involve physical strength and calluses on the fingers! And there is the shipping costs and other customs fees...

But I notice your attention to my topic, my videos and the association of the result to my cables. I'm grateful!

I am already searching information.
    10 % more is a lot. This topic got my attention. I´m curious!

Big hug.
    Right back atcha, slick.

The new bases of my Usher speakers.
    The change was mainly for the aesthetics because I never liked the originals.
    As for the sound, it's still fresh
    Stay tuned...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Many changes at the same time...
    The larger granite stones required an adjustment due to the fact that the floor is not completely flat. This caused the speakers to be further apart, being now at 3.15 meters from each other, and each of them 3.5 meters from the listening point.
    What did this provide? A huuuuuuge stage in width and depth.

It was already mine suspicion but now I have no hesitation in saying: whoever seeks the stage illusion, should keep the speakers as far as possible...

Another big difference: the original bases are 4 cm high. These have only 1 cm.
    This means that the tweeter has dropped 3 cm.

Therefore there is a sense of greater detail and greater presence, now that the tweeter is at ear level.

now that the tweeter is at ear level.
    interesting that you mention that. is there any science about the ideal height of the tweeter?
    i know that in surround systems most people dont like the sidespeaker at earheight.
    peronally i dont like tall speaker with tweeter and mid driver high up.

Quote Originally Posted by u-sound View Post
    interesting that you mention that. is there any science about the ideal height of the tweeter?
    Good question!
    Science of my statement?
    So many times we have seen this concept repeated by so many audiophiles that we end up believing it contains some truth and we repeat it too.
    I don't know.
    After a week of living with the new bases, I'm not sure it was a step forward. But not because of the height of the tweeter. Maybe more because the original bases weigh 15 KG each and that has, perhaps, a lot of influence.

just cant remember people talking about the tweeterheight. so it would be interesting whats the common sense about.

coupling to the floor certainly has a great impact, you might want to explore further on.

coupling to the floor certainly has a great impact, you might want to explore further on.
    Coupled, or de-coupled? Does it depend on the floor type?

I assume that Spock has them on granite slabs to de-couple
    Main System

Lumin X1 > Boulder 1161 > Scansonic MB3.5 B

Headphones

Home: HiFiMan Susvara > Schiit Lyr+
    Portable: Focal Radiance > AQ Dragonfly Cobalt / Chord Hugo 2

Like in the photo below?
    I'm trying it all over again and calling everything into question. The only certainty: the way the speakers make contact with the floor really has a huge effect on the final result.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The only certainty: the way the speakers make contact with the floor really has a huge effect on the final result.
    thats what i meant.

I'm trying it all over again and calling everything into question. The only certainty: the way the speakers make contact with the floor really has a huge effect on the final result.
    Let us know the differences you find!

I'll be embarking on that experiment soon. Speakers sit on a sisal rug on a wood floor (on joists over a crawl space). Right now they're on the spikes that come with the speakers. I just received some Isoacoustics Gaia things to replace the spikes and see what difference that makes. I'm assuming this is the difference between coupling and de-coupling.
    Main System

Lumin X1 > Boulder 1161 > Scansonic MB3.5 B

Headphones

Home: HiFiMan Susvara > Schiit Lyr+
    Portable: Focal Radiance > AQ Dragonfly Cobalt / Chord Hugo 2

No conclusion yet...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Spock system (the importance of fine tuning)