Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

Dave Wilson - Sad News

Source: http://hifipig.com/sad-news-from-wilson-audio/

Last night we received the following message from John Giolas of Wilson Audio: “We at Wilson Audio are saddened to inform you that Dave Wilson recently discovered that he has a rare form of bone cancer. He had been seeking the source of some discomfort he’d been experiencing for some period of time. He and Sheryl Lee are working with the best physicians and medical professionals to determine his treatment options so they can identify the best course of action for Dave”.

“As Dave and Sheryl Lee travel this difficult road, they’ve asked their friends, if they wish, to remember Dave in their prayers. They also wanted to share their love and gratitude for all those who have supported Wilson Audio for the past several decades. They consider you all a part of their extended family”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Audioshark

Re: Dave Wilson - Sad News

Prayers for Dave Wilson and the Wilson family. Dave Wilson - Sad News

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Super Moderator

I am so sorry to read that. Let hope a speedy recovery. Get well soon Dave. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I have read the message, and regret that I don’t know Dave Wilson and family, other then the speakers he has created that allow his vision and foresight to play in homes across the world.

Thank you Dave Wilson for your contributions, and know our thoughts are for your well being during this difficult time. Stay strong!
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

So sorry to hear this, I met Dave back around 2000-2001 at Aurant in SLC.
    Amp/PreAmp/Phono: Manley Labs Snapper, Jumbo Shrimp, Chinook Speakers: Joseph Audio RM25XL Analog: Rega P5, TTPSU, Tungsten CW, GT Ref Sub-Platter/Delrin Platter, DV Karat 17D3 Digital: Rega Saturn Cables/PC: Synergistic Research, Running Springs Audio Rack: Quadraspire Q4EVO, Mapleshade Platforms/Isoblocks Tubes: Winged C SED EL34, Mullard 12AX7/12AT7, Amperex 7308 LPs: 198 CDs: 247

Thoughts and prayers to Dave and his family.

This is the post I saw that Wilson Audio has issued on Facebook.

Dear Friends,
    We at Wilson Audio are saddened to inform you that Dave Wilson recently discovered that he has a rare form of bone cancer. He had been seeking the source of some discomfort he’d been experiencing for some period of time. He and Sheryl Lee are working with the best physicians and medical professionals to determine his treatment options so they can identify the best course of action for Dave.
    As Dave and Sheryl Lee travel this difficult road, they’ve asked their friends, if they wish, to remember Dave in their prayers. They also wanted to share their love and gratitude for all those who have supported Wilson Audio for the past several decades. They consider you all a part of their extended family.
    If you have questions or would like to share a message with Dave and Sheryl Lee, please direct both by email to Pam Huffaker (pam@wilsonaudio.com)
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Banned

Hope Dave beats this cancer.

I won one of his recordings in a WA Facebook contest. In addition to taking the time to autograph the CD, he sent me a picture of him signing the CD:

Attached Images Attached Images

We are so vulnerable. I, like many others, wish Dave and his family the best. It is likely to be a tough journey.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

So sorry Dave. Wishing you all the best.

I only met Mr. Wilson in passing once at a local Music Matters event and he came across as a very genuine and decent human being. I wish the best for him and hope he finds the strength to beat his current illness.
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Speakers: Scaena La Maitresse Ultime Loudspeaker System
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC
    Miscellaneous: ​Bohmer/Legacy Audio Wavelet DSP/Room Correction

A true legend.

RIP

Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Audioshark

RIP

RIP David, condolences to the family

Sad news indeed ... RIP

Rest in peace David , and my thoughts goes to his family.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

The world has lost a true gentleman. RIP Dave.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Did I miss something—he was diagnosed with cancer not necessarily a death sentence. All the RIP posts have you all writing him off already as having left this mortal plane. While diagnosis sure sucks it not quite the same as laying in the casket.

I just saw on another blog he has indeed left us. Sad news. I am fortunate to continue to enjoy the fruits of his life work.

mauidan

Had the pleasure of meeting Dave back in the days when CES was held in Chicago.

Had a great time listening to his early WATTs.

Here's a recent article about him:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018/...r-chronosonic/

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

R.I.P. Mr. Dave Wilson.
    And my heart goes to the entire Wilson family; wife, children, grand children, friends, fans, Wilson owners, ...

* http://www.kenkessler.com/blogs/blog-no-13-dave-wilson/
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Rest in Peace David Wilson.
    Sincere condolences to the entire Wilson Audio family.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    R.I.P. Mr. Dave Wilson.
    And my heart goes to the entire Wilson family; wife, children, grand children, friends, fans, Wilson owners, ...

* http://www.kenkessler.com/blogs/blog-no-13-dave-wilson/
    +1

Truly one of the good guys and pioneers in these crazy hobby of ours. He gave me lots of enjoyment! How many people can you say that about in this crazy world.

My condolences but also my gratitude.

En paz descanse sus restos
    My most sincere condolences to his family
    Sad news
    Very sad news
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

A very fine man and an audio industry legend. Condolences to his family and many friends. May he R.I.P.
    An excellent article about Dave at the Stereophile site:
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/...1944%C2%962018

RIP Dave ! I enjoyed the W/P’s greatly. Thanks

Sad news RIP

RIP a true Giant of the Industry

Sincere wishes to the family

Bruce

A name that will live on in the audio world. Sad news indeed, RIP Dave and condolences to the Wilson family.
    Lumin A1 / Crayon Audio CIA-1T / Soundkaos Wave 40 or Harbeth SHL5+ 40th Anniversary

David A. Wilson's Obituary

David A. Wilson II, 73, after a long battle with cancer, passed away peacefully at home on Saturday May 26th, in Provo, Utah, surrounded by his beautiful wife and family. He was born September 8, 1944 in Los Angeles to David Andrew and Irene Wilson in Los Angeles, California. He was united for time and all eternity to Sheryl Lee Jamison on September 6, 1966 in the Los Angeles Temple. The union was blessed with four children.

Survivors include his wife Sheryl Lee; his 3 sons, David A. Wilson III (Mary-Esther), Kevin A. Wilson (Sariah), and Daryl C. Wilson (Candace); and daughter Deborah Dee Wilson Beaman (Westley); 15 grandchildren, David IV, Matthew, Elizabeth, Hannah Lee, Michael, Kaleb, Kameron, Shiloh, Kollin, Charlemagne, Myabella, Brooklyn, Christiana, Sheriese, and Troy. He was preceded in death by his grandparents; his parents; his parents in-law.

Dave and his family lived in Inglewood, Southern California until he was 6, and then moved to Sacramento. Early on in his young life, he became interested in audio and music reproduction—specifically the science of loudspeaker design. Dave designed and built several loudspeakers, testing ideas, and experimenting with various parts and construction strategies.

After 2 years at American River Junior College, he transferred to Brigham Young University starting in 1964, where he obtained a bachelor’s degree in zoology and chemistry. It was at BYU he would meet Sheryl Lee Jamison, who, at the time, needed Dave’s help with a recording project. Dave was instantly smitten and, after some persistence on Dave’s part, the two began dating. They were married in 1966. For over 50 years, they were loving partners in all things: in parenthood, in business, and in life’s triumphs and challenges.

After finishing college, Dave and Sheryl Lee moved to Glendale, California where Sheryl Lee began a teaching job at the school she attended as a student, Wilson Junior High. Dave worked on a master’s degree in molecular biology, and subsequently began working for the pharmaceutical company Pfizer. Not long afterward, he was offered a position in clinical research at Abbot Laboratories. This required them to move to the small town of Waukegan, just north of Chicago, Illinois. Dave’s professional star rose quickly, and he was offered yet another position at Cutter Labs in Berkeley, California as a product designer. It was during this time that he learned and developed the protocols and procedures of the scientific process—a skill set that would that he would later use in the pursuit of his true academic and scientific love: loudspeaker design.

Dave is best known for his principal leadership role at Wilson Audio Specialties, a high-end loudspeaker manufacturer he and Sheryl Lee co-founded in 1974. At first, Wilson Audio was an extension of Dave’s hobby, but eventually Sheryl Lee encouraged Dave to pursue his love and passion full-time. In the early days, the business was located in their home in Novato, Marin County, California, and expanded to commercial spaces as the business grew. In the early nineties, Dave and Sheryl Lee made the choice to relocate their business and their home to the town where they first met, Provo, Utah. While the two faced many struggles and challenges, together they built one of the most respected and revered companies in the audio industry. Wilson became well known for its state-of-the-art loudspeakers, which featured innovative technology authored and invented by Dave, and which were built and executed with exacting standards. Dave, with Sheryl Lee at his side, fostered a company culture with authenticity and excellence as its core principles. The professionals and craftsman who work with them at Wilson are considered a part of their extended family and are treated accordingly. Within the audio industry, Dave is almost universally regarded as the greatest loudspeaker designer of his generation, and the company he led is one of the most respected and admired in its industry.

Dave was just as fascinated with the art and science of recording acoustical music as he was loudspeakers. Dave and Sheryl Lee formed Wilson Audiophile Definitive Recordings in 1977. Many of Dave’s recordings, still available today in several formats, are heralded as among the most natural and lifelike of all time. In the mid-eighties, Dave was also a respected writer and reviewer of audio equipment for several prominent HiFi magazines. His perceptive and analytical gifts served him well in this endeavor. Dave wrote what many consider to be some of the most lucid and reasoned product reviews of that time.

Dave possessed an enormous intellect and was nearly encyclopedic in his ability to retain facts and information. His appetite for knowledge was insatiable. Dave was an avid reader, and retained the information gleaned from his reading.

He loved the art and science of discovery. In his pursuit of knowledge, he would often design and then carry out a meticulous set of experiments in the hunt for answers to the questions he was asking. Once the answer came, he exuded a childlike excitement and was passionate about sharing his discoveries with his friends and colleagues. He was a gifted teacher and patient mentor to those around him. He would often use his keen sense of humor during these teaching moments, injecting laughter into the learning process that made each lesson all the more memorable.

Despite his unique talent and his enormous achievements, Dave was a deeply humble man. He was quick to point out that the achievements of his company were the product of a great team of people and professionals. Dave immensely valued the concept and process of teamwork and often gave generous credit to that team for his own successes. He was quick to praise those around him and redirected his own accolades to include his friends and fellow professionals.

Indeed, much of Dave’s complex nature could be seen as paradoxical. While on the one hand, he was an articulate public speaker, seemingly comfortable in that venue, delivering cogent, articulate presentations, he considered himself to be shy and introverted. And yet, he spent much of his professional career successfully promoting his company within very public venues. In reality, he was more at peace in the isolation of his Kanab ranch than in the bustle of large crowds. He enjoyed spending time there with Sheryl Lee, his children, and grandchildren. He often guided friends and family through the spectacular sites and landscapes of the surrounding the area. He loved hiking and would expound on the geological history of a particular rock formation, often with a young grandchild on his shoulders. Or, he would relax by exploding some water-filled milk jugs with one of his many rifles and, after a missed shot, would quip that Sheryl Lee was the real ace marksman of the family. The Kanab ranch was an oasis for Dave and Sheryl Lee and their extended family and friends.

He was a loving father and grandfather and found great satisfaction in teaching and mentoring his children and extended family. He adored his wife, Sheryl Lee, and often marveled how blessed and fortunate he was to have her in his life. Indeed, Dave often remarked on how lucky he was generally—he was married to his best friend, was able to do the work he most valued, and spend his life surrounded by the people he loved.

Dave’s remarkable life will be forever cherished by his eternal mate, Sheryl Lee, and by his children and grandchildren; by his friends; his colleagues and coworkers; and by thousands of friends across the world.

A viewing will be held on Friday, June 8th from 6:00pm-8:00pm at the Berg Mortuary (185 East Center Street in Provo, Utah).

The funeral service will take place Saturday, June 9th at 11:00am at the Oak Hills 5th Ward, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (1960 North 1500 East, Provo Utah 84604).

Email condolences can be sent to pam@wilsonaudio.com.

NOTE: In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to-

“The David A. Wilson & Sheryl Lee Wilson Divine Kinship Foundation”

This is a new foundation formed in Dave’s honor, and will serve the Wilson’s strong desire to serve the community. All donations will be distributed among charities that are special to David and Sheryl Lee, which include cancer research and music development programs. Details for contributions will be available later in the week.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

My deepest condolences to the Wilson family as well as the Wilson Audio team. David Wilson was a family man and an audio visionary. Rest In Peace David Wilson. You are already being missed.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

RIP, true master of his trade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    David A. Wilson's Obituary

David A. Wilson II, 73, after a long battle with cancer, passed away peacefully at home on Saturday May 26th, in Provo, Utah, surrounded by his beautiful wife and family. He was born September 8, 1944 in Los Angeles to David Andrew and Irene Wilson in Los Angeles, California. He was united for time and all eternity to Sheryl Lee Jamison on September 6, 1966 in the Los Angeles Temple. The union was blessed with four children.

Survivors include his wife Sheryl Lee; his 3 sons, David A. Wilson III (Mary-Esther), Kevin A. Wilson (Sariah), and Daryl C. Wilson (Candace); and daughter Deborah Dee Wilson Beaman (Westley); 15 grandchildren, David IV, Matthew, Elizabeth, Hannah Lee, Michael, Kaleb, Kameron, Shiloh, Kollin, Charlemagne, Myabella, Brooklyn, Christiana, Sheriese, and Troy. He was preceded in death by his grandparents; his parents; his parents in-law.

Dave and his family lived in Inglewood, Southern California until he was 6, and then moved to Sacramento. Early on in his young life, he became interested in audio and music reproduction—specifically the science of loudspeaker design. Dave designed and built several loudspeakers, testing ideas, and experimenting with various parts and construction strategies.

After 2 years at American River Junior College, he transferred to Brigham Young University starting in 1964, where he obtained a bachelor’s degree in zoology and chemistry. It was at BYU he would meet Sheryl Lee Jamison, who, at the time, needed Dave’s help with a recording project. Dave was instantly smitten and, after some persistence on Dave’s part, the two began dating. They were married in 1966. For over 50 years, they were loving partners in all things: in parenthood, in business, and in life’s triumphs and challenges.

After finishing college, Dave and Sheryl Lee moved to Glendale, California where Sheryl Lee began a teaching job at the school she attended as a student, Wilson Junior High. Dave worked on a master’s degree in molecular biology, and subsequently began working for the pharmaceutical company Pfizer. Not long afterward, he was offered a position in clinical research at Abbot Laboratories. This required them to move to the small town of Waukegan, just north of Chicago, Illinois. Dave’s professional star rose quickly, and he was offered yet another position at Cutter Labs in Berkeley, California as a product designer. It was during this time that he learned and developed the protocols and procedures of the scientific process—a skill set that would that he would later use in the pursuit of his true academic and scientific love: loudspeaker design.

Dave is best known for his principal leadership role at Wilson Audio Specialties, a high-end loudspeaker manufacturer he and Sheryl Lee co-founded in 1974. At first, Wilson Audio was an extension of Dave’s hobby, but eventually Sheryl Lee encouraged Dave to pursue his love and passion full-time. In the early days, the business was located in their home in Novato, Marin County, California, and expanded to commercial spaces as the business grew. In the early nineties, Dave and Sheryl Lee made the choice to relocate their business and their home to the town where they first met, Provo, Utah. While the two faced many struggles and challenges, together they built one of the most respected and revered companies in the audio industry. Wilson became well known for its state-of-the-art loudspeakers, which featured innovative technology authored and invented by Dave, and which were built and executed with exacting standards. Dave, with Sheryl Lee at his side, fostered a company culture with authenticity and excellence as its core principles. The professionals and craftsman who work with them at Wilson are considered a part of their extended family and are treated accordingly. Within the audio industry, Dave is almost universally regarded as the greatest loudspeaker designer of his generation, and the company he led is one of the most respected and admired in its industry.

Dave was just as fascinated with the art and science of recording acoustical music as he was loudspeakers. Dave and Sheryl Lee formed Wilson Audiophile Definitive Recordings in 1977. Many of Dave’s recordings, still available today in several formats, are heralded as among the most natural and lifelike of all time. In the mid-eighties, Dave was also a respected writer and reviewer of audio equipment for several prominent HiFi magazines. His perceptive and analytical gifts served him well in this endeavor. Dave wrote what many consider to be some of the most lucid and reasoned product reviews of that time.

Dave possessed an enormous intellect and was nearly encyclopedic in his ability to retain facts and information. His appetite for knowledge was insatiable. Dave was an avid reader, and retained the information gleaned from his reading.

He loved the art and science of discovery. In his pursuit of knowledge, he would often design and then carry out a meticulous set of experiments in the hunt for answers to the questions he was asking. Once the answer came, he exuded a childlike excitement and was passionate about sharing his discoveries with his friends and colleagues. He was a gifted teacher and patient mentor to those around him. He would often use his keen sense of humor during these teaching moments, injecting laughter into the learning process that made each lesson all the more memorable.

Despite his unique talent and his enormous achievements, Dave was a deeply humble man. He was quick to point out that the achievements of his company were the product of a great team of people and professionals. Dave immensely valued the concept and process of teamwork and often gave generous credit to that team for his own successes. He was quick to praise those around him and redirected his own accolades to include his friends and fellow professionals.

Indeed, much of Dave’s complex nature could be seen as paradoxical. While on the one hand, he was an articulate public speaker, seemingly comfortable in that venue, delivering cogent, articulate presentations, he considered himself to be shy and introverted. And yet, he spent much of his professional career successfully promoting his company within very public venues. In reality, he was more at peace in the isolation of his Kanab ranch than in the bustle of large crowds. He enjoyed spending time there with Sheryl Lee, his children, and grandchildren. He often guided friends and family through the spectacular sites and landscapes of the surrounding the area. He loved hiking and would expound on the geological history of a particular rock formation, often with a young grandchild on his shoulders. Or, he would relax by exploding some water-filled milk jugs with one of his many rifles and, after a missed shot, would quip that Sheryl Lee was the real ace marksman of the family. The Kanab ranch was an oasis for Dave and Sheryl Lee and their extended family and friends.

He was a loving father and grandfather and found great satisfaction in teaching and mentoring his children and extended family. He adored his wife, Sheryl Lee, and often marveled how blessed and fortunate he was to have her in his life. Indeed, Dave often remarked on how lucky he was generally—he was married to his best friend, was able to do the work he most valued, and spend his life surrounded by the people he loved.

Dave’s remarkable life will be forever cherished by his eternal mate, Sheryl Lee, and by his children and grandchildren; by his friends; his colleagues and coworkers; and by thousands of friends across the world.

A viewing will be held on Friday, June 8th from 6:00pm-8:00pm at the Berg Mortuary (185 East Center Street in Provo, Utah).

The funeral service will take place Saturday, June 9th at 11:00am at the Oak Hills 5th Ward, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (1960 North 1500 East, Provo Utah 84604).

Email condolences can be sent to pam@wilsonaudio.com.

NOTE: In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to-

“The David A. Wilson & Sheryl Lee Wilson Divine Kinship Foundation”

This is a new foundation formed in Dave’s honor, and will serve the Wilson’s strong desire to serve the community. All donations will be distributed among charities that are special to David and Sheryl Lee, which include cancer research and music development programs. Details for contributions will be available later in the week.

Thank you for sharing Dave's obituary Adam. There are so many who have expressed an interest in attending the services. It has been a tough few days but we, especially Sheryl Lee, Daryl and Debbie have been buoyed by the outpouring of affection for Dave and the desire to be here in Provo to honor his memory.

Bill

Here’s a guy who made a difference in life by checking all the right boxes, my thoughts to all the Wilson Family along with the strength to move on by holding him in your thoughts and the continued ability to listen to his work he helped create.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Dave Wilson - Sad News