Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

An update about the GAT

Hello folks,

Last year I bought the Conrad Jonhson GAT from Joe, aka joeinid.
    This is an update after one year with this preamplifier.

I am still completely amazed and moved and full of joy and blessed and and and.. ...by the sound of the GAT in my system.
    The GAT shines with various and very different power amplifiers. I used it with the Nagra MSA, the McIntosh MC225 and MC2100, the Shindo Corton Charlemagne Q, and the Diafan 300B monoblocks ( SET monoblocks hand made by a french craftsman ).

The transparency and the dynamics are just out of this world, including very high end preamps. The sound has a unique natural and lifelike nature. Like the Shindo Giscours, ALL my recordings are a total bliss to listen to. Including the poor recordings. So one could think that the GAT colors the sound with beautiful tones and textures and it is not neutral. Imho it does not.
    This unit is able to extract from the recording the essence of the artistic performance and connects you deeply to it. The level of quality of the recording is absolutely spottable. You can hear the "defects" of the poor recordings. But it does not interfere with the emotions of the music. Magical.
    I think that very few units can achieve this.
    Talking about neutrality of the bandwidth, the GAT sounds like a straight wire from deep bass to high treble. Not only in SPL but in texture, presence, emphasis.
    Compared to the Shindo Giscours, the GAT is more dynamic and lifelike. And it has a slighty smaller stereo image. It also looses a few degrees of ultimate refinement and richness of the timbres. The Giscours is more "classy", but also clearly more colored.
    This is noticeable only in a direct comparison. And I am talking here of very very light nuances. Overall, the GAT is a better preamplifier to my ears than the Shindo Giscours. Even when used with the Shindo CCQs monoblocks and Shindo cables.
    As a result and since I do not need 2 high end preamps in my system, I sold the Shindo Giscours after 5 years of delightful sound in my system.
    I have absolutely no interest in upgrading my GAT to the GAT II level. "If it is not broken, do not fix it". I am so deeply in love with its sound that I do not want to move from it, even by a tiny millimeter.

I would like to express publicly my deepest gratitude to my friend Joe, aka joeinid, who sold me his GAT. Not only he made me a very friendly price, but he accepted to ship it to France, which was not an easy task for such a big unit. And the GAT arrived like new. Really.
    Joe, you are fabulous and I am so happy that you could be so "nuts" about this hobby. A GAT would never ever be on the used market without crazy folks like you ! An update about the GAT
    You made a big mistake my dear friend. I love you and at the very same time, I feel sorry for what you did. Well, I guess you still can buy a GAT II. An update about the GAT
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Re: An update about the GAT

Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Super Moderator

Hi Jerome,

I am so happy for you. At least it went to a great home. It is a special piece and I am glad you are enjoying it so much!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hi Jerome. Great to hear you are still loving the GAT.

GAT rules. One the the best preamps, if not the best that you can buy.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Is anyone using CJ with a set amp?

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Hi Jerome. Great to hear you are still loving the GAT.

GAT rules. One the the best preamps, if not the best that you can buy.
    Hello Shane,
    Yes. I could not agree more.

Audioshark

I'm glad you guys are so happy. CJ makes wonderful gear and Bill and Lou are terrific guys. I bet that GAT 2 is magical. Would love to hear the 300 amps too!

I remember when Joe had his CJ gear, he literally didn't sleep. I think he had to sell it or suffer from insomnia forever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

That is very true. Sniff, sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm glad you guys are so happy. CJ makes wonderful gear and Bill and Lou are terrific guys. I bet that GAT 2 is magical. Would love to hear the 300 amps too!

I remember when Joe had his CJ gear, he literally didn't sleep. I think he had to sell it or suffer from insomnia forever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Bill and Lou sold CJ to their long-time Senior Engineer
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Bill and Lou sold CJ to their long-time Senior Engineer
    Lou and Bill are still both active in cj. This was to ensure cj lives long after they may be gone
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

I could not agree more with Jerome's comments. I've owned the GAT now for several years and would never ever consider replacing it!
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Quote Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
    I could not agree more with Jerome's comments. I've owned the GAT now for several years and would never ever consider replacing it!
    Yes I know what you mean. I had several
    excellent preamps during the last few years. I thought always that the Shindo Giscours will stay for ever in my house and that nothing could sound better. Until the GAT came and killed the King. Slowly but surely. So never say never but I seriously doubt that I could meet one day a preamp able to kill the GAT at least in my budget.
    Seems that Kondo makes the best preamps in the world but I won't invest anymore 50 or 60k in a single unit. And I am not sure at all that the differences would really be so worthy with the GAT in terms of musical pleasure.

Jerome, thinking about a GAT II to pair with my Nagra Classic. What was your experience of GAT pairing with your MSA? I tried the Nagra Classic Pre but sound a little dark to me.
    thanks
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by 4music View Post
    Jerome, thinking about a GAT II to pair with my Nagra Classic. What was your experience of GAT pairing with your MSA? I tried the Nagra Classic Pre but sound a little dark to me.
    thanks
    Tim
    Hello Tim,
    That is exactly the combo I am using now : GAT + MSA.
    I get a sound absolutely satisfying to my ears. With both dynamics, headroom, frequency extension and naturalness.
    The sound is absolutely not dark. The synergy between the GAT and the MSA is superb.
    Falls very short of the Shindo CCQs with the GAT.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
    Hello Tim,
    That is exactly the combo I am using now : GAT + MSA.
    I get a sound absolutely satisfying to my ears. With both dynamics, headroom, frequency extension and naturalness.
    The sound is absolutely not dark. The synergy between the GAT and the MSA is superb.
    Falls very short of the Shindo CCQs with the GAT.

In a good way or a bad way Jerome? Good to see you here by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    In a good way or a bad way Jerome? Good to see you here by the way.
    Hello ! Thanks.
    In terms of naturalness the MSA and the CCQs play in the same league.
    While the MSA is more neutral and balanced, it does not have the fleshy timbres of the CCQs. Moreover, the CCQs have more impacts and deepness in the bass. They also throw a huge stereo image in all dimensions.
    But listening pleasure is very close and I could live with the MSA and no other amp.
    Still, the CCQs are by far the very best amplifiers I ever heard. I put them on sale to simplify my set up but I just cannot sell them !

For life, easy! For audiophile, mais simplement

Jerome, what speakers are those ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pani View Post
    Jerome, what speakers are those ?
    Hello Pani,

They are "replicas" or an "inspired" of the Shindo Petite Latour. 2 ways. Port at the bottom.
    They use Altec 414-Z and Altec 807 with a W32A Altec / WE Aluminium cast horn.
    The craftsman who made them to me just made an inspired version of the Latour. Using an Altec 416-8B but a TAD 2001 compression with a P Audio horn. I have to
    listen to them :

Jerome, what other speakers did you use and liked well both with the CCQ and the MSA?
    Maybe some Harbeth or Auditorium 23 speaker?
    thanks, Balazs

Super Moderator

Welcome Balazs, thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Balazs View Post
    Jerome, what other speakers did you use and liked well both with the CCQ and the MSA?
    Maybe some Harbeth or Auditorium 23 speaker?
    thanks, Balazs
    Hello,

The MSA was very good with the Harbeth 40.1 speakers.
    The CCQs gave too much bass with them.
    The CCQs were very good with the Wilson WP8 and the Rega RS10.
    I do not use the CCQs often now.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

An update about the GAT