Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Hegel h190

Hegel h190

Is out and I had it for 3 days! It made my v1 salon speakers sound unfreakinbelievable on nearly everything I listened to. It sounds like a hegel, cost $4000, the display looks professional, actually letters that spell words What a concept. I really wanted to buy it and the only time I thought it was running out of steam was playing old cd recordings where the treble would harden up when the dial was turned to 80 otherwise the soundstage was wide, tall,vsome recordings would place the drums above the rest of the music and a little more forward than previously. When I sold my f52's and bought the salons I was disappointed with the presentation of the big speakers big, wide, but distant soundstage after the f52 intimate, headphone like experience. The H190 made me laugh out loud at some of the tracks I played thru it.
    For reference it replaced a krell kav300il pre with a halo A21 amp and rega jupiter cd player using both coax and analog outputs, and on that point the dac on the h190 made my cd player sound as old as it is. I bought the h360 because I don't want to overheat a 150 wpc playing my music at 100db but, sonically I really hope my h360 sounds as good as the h190 when I get it home tomorrow.

Re: Hegel h190

Howdy steve59, I came across this post while in the midst of trying to decide between the A21, H190 and H360 for a new system I'm putting together.

Sounds like you really like the 190 and assume you prefer it to the A21. What did you think of the H360?

Speakers in my build are LS50s for now but may change to some Dali's.

Thanks for any input!

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Thanks Joe, glad to be aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    Is out and I had it for 3 days! It made my v1 salon speakers sound unfreakinbelievable on nearly everything I listened to. It sounds like a hegel, cost $4000, the display looks professional, actually letters that spell words What a concept. I really wanted to buy it and the only time I thought it was running out of steam was playing old cd recordings where the treble would harden up when the dial was turned to 80 otherwise the soundstage was wide, tall,vsome recordings would place the drums above the rest of the music and a little more forward than previously. When I sold my f52's and bought the salons I was disappointed with the presentation of the big speakers big, wide, but distant soundstage after the f52 intimate, headphone like experience. The H190 made me laugh out loud at some of the tracks I played thru it.
    For reference it replaced a krell kav300il pre with a halo A21 amp and rega jupiter cd player using both coax and analog outputs, and on that point the dac on the h190 made my cd player sound as old as it is. I bought the h360 because I don't want to overheat a 150 wpc playing my music at 100db but, sonically I really hope my h360 sounds as good as the h190 when I get it home tomorrow.
    Hi Steve59, Just wondering if you have had the time to compare the h190 against the h360? Would love to hear your views. I am thinking of buying one of these two amps and from the little that I have read, the h190 is equal (if not better) to h360 in sound quality. If so, I could save myself some $$$ by buying the h190 as its power is sufficient for my 93db effciency speakers.

Thanks!

Super Moderator

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

we have had a lot of discussion re the hegal 190 and 160 and a recent hi fi news review of the 190 was outstanding

https://www.hegel.com/images/reviews/H190hifinewsuk.pdf
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

We have a H190 coming shortly for one of our demo systems. I may have it by Friday if I'm lucky. From what I know so far, if you don't need the extra power of the H360, save yourself some money and get the H190.
    Everest Audio
    www.everestaudio.com
    Facebook

bel canto, Hegel, Vimberg, Opera, MoFi, Acoustic Energy, JL Audio, Innuos, Vertere, Meze Audio, Origin Live, GutWire, Wireworld, Furutech, IsoAcoustics and more

Quote Originally Posted by charan View Post
    Hi Steve59, Just wondering if you have had the time to compare the h190 against the h360? Would love to hear your views. I am thinking of buying one of these two amps and from the little that I have read, the h190 is equal (if not better) to h360 in sound quality. If so, I could save myself some $$$ by buying the h190 as its power is sufficient for my 93db effciency speakers.

Thanks!
    Driving my Salon1's in a 18'x26'x7' basement room treated with sheetrock ceiling and walls, carpet and padded floor, and 12"x12" acoustic ceiling tiles my room is pretty absorptive. First I listened to the H360 and compared to the parasound A21 I was floored by how much it brought out the mids I had it for 3 days and it was as all the other gear I demoed broke in. next was the rost with my A21 driving the bass. I found the rost to have as much control as the h360 with a little more sound up top, not like turning up the knob to +1 on back but actually more going on with the snare drum and cymbals with no added sibilance, still not enough power for the salon1. Dealer gets the H190 and runs it for several days straight and sends me home with it. For the 3 days I had it I thought it sounded more like the rost than the H360 in a good way! It brought out the mid range like the 360 but also added detail at both highs and lows. It's possible I would tire of the extra detail up top in the long term, but after 3 days I decided I preferred its sound to the 360. My serious listening is done in the mid 90db range and +100 on the 'get up and dance' songs and after a couple hours I put my hand on the top of the H190 and it was a little to warm for me to seriously consider it. I returned the h190 did my best deal on the dealers demo of the h360 and bought it... After hooking the 360 up after having the 190 in I was a little underwhelmed, no buyers remorse, just that the h360 is a little less exciting compared to the new model. If there was an H390, a 250 wpc sounding H190 I would have bought it. For sure worth a listen.

Thought I would revive this thread and offer some feedback on the H190 in my system.

Went to see Mike at Suncoast yesterday and grabbed a customer trade in H190 to test out. I disconnected my Meitner STR55/ PA6i combo and Autonomic MMS server that had been powering my Sonus Faber Cremona M's and connected the H190. For source, I connected my Control4 EA controller digital output directly to the H190 coaxial input and run Tidal in MQA. All cabling by Audioquest.

First impression on the H190 is that it seems very well built and solid. I logged in to the unit via IP and found only basic settings, primarily focused on Network settings. I then went into the unit through the front panel with the IR remote, and again very basic settings. I had expected native audio streaming settings, roon endpoint settings and maybe even audio adjustments. None of those exist.

After letting it warm up for about 30 minutes, I fired up Tidal on the Cremona M's and played Ray Charles/ Norah Jones "here we go again" off the Genius Loves Company Album, followed by Keiko Matsui's "Wind and the wolf". Two tracks I am very familiar with.

First impressions on the sound are that the Hegel is VERY detailed. VERY clean. Soundstage is very good in the upper range. Female vocals and anything in that frequency range really open up, which is what the Cremona M's are known for. The Hegel really helps emphasize this. Instrument separation is very good. Low end is ok. In order to hit every check box with the Sonus Fabers and the Hegel, I would definitely need to reinforce the bottom end with a sub. I moved the speakers around a little bit using the Rob Wasserman/ Jennifer Warnes "balled of the runaway horse" to try and lock in the best bass anchor locations.

Overall, not bad. Definitely not night and day over the Meitner which is really saying something about the STR55 which is barely 50wpc, 30 + years old and still hasn't been back to Canada for a refresh. I'm going to bounce around and listen to some different music over the weekend and see how things open up and progress.

More to come...

Now I’ve got the h590 driving my blades. I’m beginning to think that with the 590 built in dac 24/192 sounds better in mqa. I’m not saying mqa is better and ive only had qubuz a little while, but I think Hegel took mqa seriously with this dac.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Audioshark

Now I’ve got the h590 driving my blades. I’m beginning to think that with the 590 built in dac 24/192 sounds better in mqa. I’m not saying mqa is better and ive only had qubuz a little while, but I think Hegel took mqa seriously with this dac.
    The 590 is KILLA! Dual mono design. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Hey Steve - how are you feeling?????
    "We are all billionaires because of the huge piles sweet dough rolling in from our participation in the ongoing campaign to suck your collective brains through a stirrer-straw." - PTA Editorial Staff

reality kicks in next week. I've decided to tap the brakes on selling off my stuff and just see how it goes. I think I started to panic a bit when I was going to sell off my system, that option will be there when treatments are done.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

reality kicks in next week. I've decided to tap the brakes on selling off my stuff and just see how it goes. I think I started to panic a bit when I was going to sell off my system, that option will be there when treatments are done.
    I think it's good to hang on to the system until you know for sure. I know how much you love those KEF Blades. Keep us updated on how it all goes.
    "We are all billionaires because of the huge piles sweet dough rolling in from our participation in the ongoing campaign to suck your collective brains through a stirrer-straw." - PTA Editorial Staff

I'm kicking myself for bringing my personal baggage here. I come to this forum because I enjoy it's friendly hifi focused purpose, and it's such a resource to gain insight on how to build a musical system, not to mention the leads to new music. That said lets say I brought up HPV cancer because there is a vaccine for it and i'm making sure my kids and theirs are aware. As much as I appreciate the well wishes I hope I can leave my baggage behind going forward. I'm looking at used T&A HV series to upgrade from the H590 if anyone has experience with both I would appreciate your input. Now is a good excuse for me to build that 'end game' system 'wink'

I'm kicking myself for bringing my personal baggage here. I come to this forum because I enjoy it's friendly hifi focused purpose, and it's such a resource to gain insight on how to build a musical system, not to mention the leads to new music. That said lets say I brought up HPV cancer because there is a vaccine for it and i'm making sure my kids and theirs are aware. As much as I appreciate the well wishes I hope I can leave my baggage behind going forward. I'm looking at used T&A HV series to upgrade from the H590 if anyone has experience with both I would appreciate your input. Now is a good excuse for me to build that 'end game' system 'wink'
    Fair enough and consider it done.

See, that's one of the things I like about this place

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Hegel h190