Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Paradigm Persona 5F and 7F vs Salon 2s

Watt=ampere x volts. Some speakers need more volts and others more ampere. Dipol speakers normaly need more ampere than volts. Hypex deliver more volts than ampere.

Greetz

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    The Pass X350.8 does a great job driving the Salon 2s.
    A good quality amplifier with 150+ watts will drive the Salon 2s. For a regular (medium sized) room, several hundred watts would be fine. I have a dear friend driving his Salon 2s with the Pass X350.8 (he formerly had a Hegel H30) and the sound is outstanding in a room that's 20' X 30'.

I used to drive my Salon 2's with 450 watts/ch. I also know of people that have driven them successfully with Pass XA160.5s.

For a large room if playing super loud rock (party mode), definitely the more power the better. For a more normal size room to listen at moderate levels, no need to go overboard seeking "mega watts".

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Ever notice there’s no used h30 amps on the market?
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    Ever notice there’s no used h30 amps on the market?
    I thought that was because they get a little warm to the touch, so to speak

(if you follow some of the older shark threads on hegel - their amps burst into flames or have in the past which like even if its a low percentage i'd rather not have that happen)

Gryphon Diablo 300 should be able to drive Salon 2 reasonably well.

Quote Originally Posted by Skanda View Post
    I thought that was because they get a little warm to the touch, so to speak

(if you follow some of the older shark threads on hegel - their amps burst into flames or have in the past which like even if its a low percentage i'd rather not have that happen)
    Yea, I saw a you tube video on that! talk about bad luck huh? taking a video to show off a new piece of gear just in time to watch it burst into flames.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Haven’t been any h30s lately but used to come up on A’gon fairly often. Funny they’ve intro’d about 3 gens of integrateds since the flagship h30 came out.

With the Revels, can’t overlook amp/pre synergy. In my home system both the all-Soulution and all-Hegel systems were distinctly inferior to the Soulution 520/Hegel h30 combo. (And trying to improve on this Soulution/Hegel/salon2 system, in this room, is probably going to be the source of long-lasting regret). At my mountain place, replacing the class D ARC DS 450 with the Classe ctm 600s wrought a fantastic improvement in image width and depth with the Revels, even though I was using an ARC LS27 at the time.
    Parker

I had considered adding a H20 with the h360 when they went on sale to horizontal bi-amp the salon 2's but the experts over there talked me out of it. I still don't understand why it wouldn't have helped my cause. Now that you mention it Hegel offered up those h20's pretty cheap a few months ago so maybe they're making room for a new line.

Finally got a listen to the Salons, today, for the FIRST time in my life. Great sound (driven by Levinson)! On all material. Can't really fault the speaker in any way. The shop wanted $30k Canadian petro-bucks for them. So in light of the 20% discount now offered on the Personas, the 9H and the Salon 2 are pretty much the same price.

BUT still not a single 9H to be auditioned in this town--Toronto--which is where these speakers are manufactured! Go figure.

So, still waiting to hear the 9H, preferrably next to the Salon 2s.

Probably a vain hope.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by john grant View Post
    Finally got a listen to the Salons, today, for the FIRST time in my life. Great sound (driven by Levinson)! On all material. Can't really fault the speaker in any way. The shop wanted $30k Canadian petro-bucks for them. So in light of the 20% discount now offered on the Personas, the 9H and the Salon 2 are pretty much the same price.

BUT still not a single 9H to be auditioned in this town--Toronto--which is where these speakers are manufactured! Go figure.

So, still waiting to hear the 9H, preferrably next to the Salon 2s.

Probably a vain hope.
    Oh man, just get the Salon 2’s. Your ears will thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

How's bass in your room? I know of a gent that used ML to drive his salon's and replaced it with an ATI 6000 sig and said it was very close. If you don't need the 4 powered woofers in the 9h and can properly match the salon 2 I don't doubt it would make you happy. There's used models coming up that can save you some serious scratch also. Since i've found my room sounds nothing like the demo rooms I no longer buy speakers I can't recoup the bulk of my money from.

What about a 6000 with 4-channels and biamp the Salons?

Steve I just need to convert you to JBL so you can Rock.

How's bass in your room? I know of a gent that used ML to drive his salon's and replaced it with an ATI 6000 sig and said it was very close. If you don't need the 4 powered woofers in the 9h and can properly match the salon 2 I don't doubt it would make you happy. There's used models coming up that can save you some serious scratch also. Since i've found my room sounds nothing like the demo rooms I no longer buy speakers I can't recoup the bulk of my money from.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

The 6000 two channel should be plenty if not this will.

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/nc1200
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by pdub View Post
    Haven’t been any h30s lately but used to come up on A’gon fairly often. Funny they’ve intro’d about 3 gens of integrateds since the flagship h30 came out.

With the Revels, can’t overlook amp/pre synergy. In my home system both the all-Soulution and all-Hegel systems were distinctly inferior to the Soulution 520/Hegel h30 combo. (And trying to improve on this Soulution/Hegel/salon2 system, in this room, is probably going to be the source of long-lasting regret). At my mountain place, replacing the class D ARC DS 450 with the Classe ctm 600s wrought a fantastic improvement in image width and depth with the Revels, even though I was using an ARC LS27 at the time.
    Parker
    awesome to hear about the soulution+hegel combo as i usually read only about soulution+soulution. i remember reading that hegel's matching pre for the h30 just didn't play in the same class as the h30 itself. btw, i started a thread a while back in the soulution forum about pairing soulution pre's with different amps (i have a soulution pre but not the amp). so if you have any other impressions on pairings to share, they would be most appreciated

I think the amplification requirements for Salon2's might be slightly overblown. I drive mine with a Rowland 625 S2 which is 325 watts into 8 ohms and 600 watts into 4......it powers them with ease. I recently tried an ARC Ref 75 SE which I though would be totally wimpy but I was shocked at how well it handled the Salon2's. I recently discussed this with Kevin Voecks and he was somewhat in agreement on the lore being a little misleading. That said I've always wanted to see what they'd do with some really high powered amps!

Quote Originally Posted by tdimler View Post
    I think the amplification requirements for Salon2's might be slightly overblown. I drive mine with a Rowland 625 S2 which is 325 watts into 8 ohms and 600 watts into 4......it powers them with ease. I recently tried an ARC Ref 75 SE which I though would be totally wimpy but I was shocked at how well it handled the Salon2's. I recently discussed this with Kevin Voecks and he was somewhat in agreement on the lore being a little misleading. That said I've always wanted to see what they'd do with some really high powered amps!

Totally agree. Quality over quantity. Although, high quality and quantity would be the sweet spot.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Quote Originally Posted by tdimler View Post
    What size room?
    My experience has been very room dependent. Large room (17x38 in one instance, 23x35 in another) needs wattage. H30, stereo mode: 350/8 ohms; 675/4 ohms -- plenty in large room; Soulution 501: 125/ 8 ohms, 250/ 4 ohms paled in comparison but was adequate in a 14x19 room.

Parker

I got flamed on a forum for suggesting if a guy can't hear the difference between emotiva, hegel, or parasound with the ultima 2 loudspeakers maybe their money would be better spent on the performa line? I never did have a filter and years of wind, construction equipment and age have limited my hearing but I could hear a difference and pick a favorite. Not trying to offend anybody but if I was in a shop working with somebody who was putting a system together within a budget I would consider such things. as to the Performa line they're considerably more sensitive and will play louder with the same power, but may need more care matching amps anyhow.

The Persona series follow something closer to a W target curve, a similar response to the B&W 7 and 8 series, somewhat of a departure from the prior Signature series which had a design that followed more closely the typical Harman target curve (neutral in a anechoic chamber, slightly warm in-room).

I think Revel is better compared to Magico or Focal in terms of sound signature. The F228Be is really fantastic and actually has a slightly better power response than the Salon2 so it's no slouch at all.

After months of listening, I narrowed my search to the Persona f7s and the Salon 2s. Both are passives, of course, and in Canada about the same price, pushing 30 thousand Canadian petro bucks. I liked the Salons best.

Then I did one last listen, this time to active speakers (amp built-in, for readers who don't know this). Heard the now out-of-production Focal SM9s, midfield monitors, made for sound studios, obviously, not for the "listening public," so to speak. I liked them better than the Paradigms Personas and the Revel Salons. Flatter frequency response, to my ears, and less distortion (which is the hard part). Like good electrostatics, but with huge dynamics and tight, responsive bass. This is, of course, a totally subjective call. Cost: 7k Can (on sale), and no amplification to worry about. Not pretty, obviously. Studio monitors never are. Then again, some folks hate the looks of the Personas AND the Salons. (Personally, I like the look of the Salons, and for me they were a close second to the SM9s, for the kind of sound I was interested in. Very close.)

Audioshark

Salon 2 gets my vote.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by john grant View Post
    and no amplification to worry about.
    Right, but you are robbing yourself of endless audiophile OCD about amps, speaker cables, lifters, connectors, etc, etc.

Yes, it is a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions.

BTW.... I actually DID purchase the sm9s. So it's all academic, at this point. I guess my point is that my faith in active speakers has been restored.

Congrats and enjoy some tunes

Go for it, since getting the 8k’s I just enjoy the music again and i doubt you can get a passive speaker with less audible compromises, especially for the money.

Bought them, the sm9s, as I said above. And liking them more and more. They completely fill my space. So orchestral music doesn’t sound like a copy or smaller version of the real thing. Sounds and feels like your at the real thing. That takes huge volume and tight bass, which they have in spades. Fortunately no ground loop issues. Dead quiet at top volume.

There's a re-review of the Salon 2s in the current (May) Streophile by Jim Austin. While he praises the speaker, he also says, "The big Salons had a bit too much base for my room." He concludes the article: "...like other ambitious, full-range loudspeakers, the Ultima2 Salon2 makes demands - on the source material, on the room, on other equipment (because they're so revealing), and sometimes - when you're forced to hear what is actually on those recordings - on you, the listener. Are you ready for that kind of commitment?"

What draws me to powered monitors is the feeling—right or wrong— that I’m not paying for heavy marketing, cabinetry, and then the heavy outlay for a compatible amp. Also, the SM9s are (like Dynaudios, PMCs) designed by audio engineers for the recording industry.

To Mike: would the ARC Ref 150SE have enough juice to drive the Salons? Room size is wierd, but say 15 x 20 x 8.

I have been holding on to my Paradigm Signature 8 (v3) speakers which sound very fine. The S8s have BE tweeters … are not hot, perhaps "cooled off" by the ARC amp. They are very sensitive at 92db, very easy to drive and have great detail thanks to the BE tweeter.

Even still, I have been keeping an "ear out" for something else at some point. Salon 2s, while long in the tooth, are on my bucket list.

BIF
    System description: VPI Classic "2.7" (basic Classic turntable plinth, with Classic 3 tone arm base and SS wand; upgraded stock Classic 600 rpm motor for 300 rpm motor); Lyra Kleos cartridge; VPI periphery ring and SS clamp; 35 pound maple TT slab base; ARC phono 3SE ; ARC Ref 6SE linestage; ARC Ref CD-9SE CD player; ARC Ref 150 SE power amp; Paradigm Signature 8 (v3)speakers w/ BE dome tweeters; Kimber Hero I/Cs; Kimber speaker cables.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Bifwynne View Post
    To Mike: would the ARC Ref 150SE have enough juice to drive the Salons? Room size is wierd, but say 15 x 20 x 8.

I have been holding on to my Paradigm Signature 8 (v3) speakers which sound very fine. The S8s have BE tweeters … are not hot, perhaps "cooled off" by the ARC amp. They are very sensitive at 92db, very easy to drive and have great detail thanks to the BE tweeter.

Even still, I have been keeping an "ear out" for something else at some point. Salon 2s, while long in the tooth, are on my bucket list.

BIF
    I had my Salon 2’s with REF250’s and it was awesome. REF150 should be fine so long as you don’t push it too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I had my Salon 2’s with REF250’s and it was awesome. REF150 should be fine so long as you don’t push it too hard.

Mike, do you think my ARC Ref 150SE would do a better job with the Studio2 speakers??

BTW, how do you think the Studio 2s would compare to the Paradigm S8 (v3). As mentioned, the S8s have BE tweeters, just like the Salon 2s and the Studio 2s. I read a Stereophile review of the Studio 2s and noted that their sensitivity is 89db. My S8s have a 92db sensitivity and play quite loud without strain if pushed.

BIF

BIF
    System description: VPI Classic "2.7" (basic Classic turntable plinth, with Classic 3 tone arm base and SS wand; upgraded stock Classic 600 rpm motor for 300 rpm motor); Lyra Kleos cartridge; VPI periphery ring and SS clamp; 35 pound maple TT slab base; ARC phono 3SE ; ARC Ref 6SE linestage; ARC Ref CD-9SE CD player; ARC Ref 150 SE power amp; Paradigm Signature 8 (v3)speakers w/ BE dome tweeters; Kimber Hero I/Cs; Kimber speaker cables.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Bifwynne View Post
    Mike, do you think my ARC Ref 150SE would do a better job with the Studio2 speakers??

BTW, how do you think the Studio 2s would compare to the Paradigm S8 (v3). As mentioned, the S8s have BE tweeters, just like the Salon 2s and the Studio 2s. I read a Stereophile review of the Studio 2s and noted that their sensitivity is 89db. My S8s have a 92db sensitivity and play quite loud without strain if pushed.

BIF

BIF
    I think the REF 150SE would have no issues with the Studio 2’s. I also owned those. They seemed much easier to drive than the Salon 2’s.

I think the Studio 2 is a much better speaker, especially in the tweeter, than the Paradigm S8 (v3). I cannot think of two speakers with more polar opposite sounding tweeters. The Studio 2/Salon 2 with one of the best in the business still today.

Did you guys hear those tiny ICE amps driving the salon 2's at axpona? It made me think twice about selling mine.

Audioshark

Did you guys hear those tiny ICE amps driving the salon 2's at axpona? It made me think twice about selling mine.
    I did, but didn’t love it and I like the Salon 2’s a lot.

The choice of music was only to prove a pair of amps barely larger than a couple slices of bread could move some air. I agree with you

The choice of music was only to prove a pair of amps barely larger than a couple slices of bread could move some air. I agree with you
    Revel uses cheap Crown amps to test drive their speakers, so I'm not surprised ICE amps can drive their speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by jonfitch View Post
    Revel uses cheap Crown amps to test drive their speakers, so I'm not surprised ICE amps can drive their speakers.
    Have you been in the Harman listening room and seen this? The demo's I've seen showed Mark Levinson amps driving salons. I wonder which speaker has the higher ceiling? salon 2 or -persona 7f.

Have you been in the Harman listening room and seen this? The demo's I've seen showed Mark Levinson amps driving salons. I wonder which speaker has the higher ceiling? salon 2 or -persona 7f.
    My Salon2s have never glossed over system changes, whether preamp, amp, source, PSU or cables. I would assume this means, as RH suggested in his review several years back, “quality in/quality out” with the Revels, and the sky’s the limit.

Parker

Having owned the salon 2's myself I have nothing bad to say about them. Their design is 12 tears old now and I do wonder if the persona drivers tech has any advantages.

I got the sig s8 v2s, and want an upgrade. The Salon 2s, Persona 7Fs and magico A3s are all in the same ballpark of price plus or minus a few grand (based on the deals I can get). Its a tough choice. Used scala v2s often pop up in this price bracket also (10-15k).

Not so tough, unless you have some serious high freq. hearing loss (I am kidding, but not really).

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by LVB View Post
    Not so tough, unless you have some serious high freq. hearing loss (I am kidding, but not really).
    LOL. Agreed.

As to your question, one speaker has a gorgeous smooth tweeter. The other two will rip your ear off.

I heard the 3F, and that was *definitely* my experience. Measurements show the tipped-up high end.

The first time I listened to the Persona’s at a show I could not get out of the room fast enough! Too bright for my personal preference. I did experience them on a different occasion and the presentation was better, but still not the balance I desire.
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

Anybody heard the new Vimberg Tonda?

I'm not sure the model I heard at Axpona, they were excellent. They certainly have the beautiful Tidal traits in sound character.

If I were a wealthy man I'd buy a Tidal system just to sit and listen to piano.

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    Anybody heard the new Vimberg Tonda?
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Haven't heard the Personas, but when I was speaker hunting back in 2011 I did check out the Paradigm S8s. Way too tipped up for me.

That same day I heard the Salon 2s, and soon afterward pounced when a barely used pair showed up for less than half price. They've been here ever since.

Pete's system:

Speakers: Revel Salon 2
    Amplifier: Symphonic Line Kraft 250 Monos
    Pre-Amplifier: Symphonic Line "The Enlightenment" Tube w/Telefunken E88CC and Mullard CV2492
    Source: Symphonic Line Belcanto CDP w/Turbo power supply and optional DAC; Ayre C5xeMP
    Cabling: Furutech (custom and stock)
    Speaker and Amp Platforms: Star Sound Sistrum Apprentice XLs
    Bank Account: Drained

I gave the 7f another listen last weekend. Anthem str separates with initially an aim dac. I streamed about 20 songs. I never really got the best from my salons in regards to locking in the bass and Possibly for the same reason I never got a decent sound stage, two things the 7f had in spades. Detailed with a really deep sound stage I was really enjoying the session I never heard any of the bright, harsh, or sibilant sound I read so many complaints about although in that room I thought there was more air around the artists than natural it did lead to impressive resolution. I would say that room that day on that gear the replay was a little dry compared to what I use at home. If there was a pair of 7f along side the salon2 for the same dime It wouldn’t be a slam dunk

Audioshark

Steve, I always thought the Salon 2’s needed subs. I remember when I first got my pair, put 500 hours on them, and called Harman freaking out that they were broken. There was literally NO BASS. They were also shutting down my Mc 2301’s. Those speakers need MASSIVE power (start at 750 watts/channel). I added two subs and voila!

BUMP: I brought home the persona 7f a couple weeks ago and can now say i've owned both salon 2 and 7f with same components in the same room. I'm always over the moon with a new pair of speakers, initially as is the case here. I can say the hegel has more than enough power to drive these, unlike the salon 2. the woofers woof, good thing. The speakers in these price groups, the ones I've been able to spend time with are probably all good enough to build a system around and dropping in a +/- $20k pair of speakers into a modest audiophile system is pot luck, right? The salon 2's sounded detailed but lacked the foundation for a believable soundstage because my amp couldn't push the woofers isn't fair to the speakers. that said the persona's don't need as much raw power to sound balanced and deliver a 3d soundstage. the midrange with the hegel is more clinical than musical which is awesome for average listening levels, peaks below 90db, but I prefer the pathos integrated for louder listening to my 70's rock. The pathos is more musical the hegel more neutral. I'll borrow the dealers pathos next weekend and see if these persona's sound as good in my room as they did at the shop. It would be a first for a passive speaker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Paradigm Persona 5F and 7F vs Salon 2s