Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lumin D2

Re: Lumin D2

How would a D2 compare to my Auralic Aries LE with Sbooster and Schiit Gungnir multibit gen 5 usb?

Sometimes I think about reducing my dac + streamer for a all in one.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    How would a D2 compare to my Auralic Aries LE with Sbooster and Schiit Gungnir multibit gen 5 usb?

Sometimes I think about reducing my dac + streamer for a all in one.
    I’ve had the Aries and Gungnir in a headphone system and now I have a D2. I easily prefer the D2.

Quote Originally Posted by vortrex View Post
    I’ve had the Aries and Gungnir in a headphone system and now I have a D2. I easily prefer the D2.
    Did you have the multibit Gungnir?
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    Did you have the multibit Gungnir?
    Yes, it was the Multibit and the Airies model with the dual femto and factory power supply.

audiophilestyle.com member davehg posted his impressions of Lumin D2 + Roon compared to Sony HAP-Z1ES at https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/t...comment=931168
    On Redbook, with every file, the Lumin/Roon combo produced a warmer and more nuanced richer sound, with better detail. The Sony had a more neutral slightly clinical sound. Both were very enjoyable, but my ears easily preferred the Lumin/Roon combo. More bounce, energy and groove.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Have a Lumin D2 on order from Mike @ Suncoast . Does Lumin perform any "factory burn in"?. IF not, is there a suggested burn in time frame?.

My humble take is that you benefit greater from keeping the unit powered on all the time vs turning off/on for each listening session.

That said, though, I streamed music for a few days straight (with the pre/power amps off) to run everything in.

Enjoy your D2, it’s a neat little unit. I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by greyscale View Post
    Have a Lumin D2 on order from Mike @ Suncoast . Does Lumin perform any "factory burn in"?. IF not, is there a suggested burn in time frame?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Audioshark

The D2 might be just the best digital value product on the market.

It does everything. Player, DAC, MQA, Roon, DSD, QoBuz, Tidal, etc.

It’s like the Swiss Army knife of digital for a super great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Still loving my D1 with linear power supply. Trying out hi-res on Qobuz streaming and so far I’m very impressed.

Every unit is hardware tested by the factory for a period of time and then it is retested and inspected for a second time in our Hong Kong office before they are shipped. It would not be regarded as audio equipment burn-in. So users may burn it in 7x24 for two weeks in repeat mode with a playlist that includes different sample rates and PCM/DSD, with the power amp turned off if necessary.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Just leave it one and play it. I haven't turned mine off in 5 months, heck maybe even longer. In my opinion, its the best value in audio.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Deleted as it was a duplicate of wklie's post
    [Associated with LUMIN]

I'm considering a D2 but wonder if anyone has compared it to an Exogal Comet, which I currently have. My consideration for going with a D2 at this point is to eliminate having two devices (microRendu + Comet DAC) and just having the all-in-one solution of the D2. Correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption here. I also like the presentation of the Comet itself but have read a number of reviews that the D2 is a bit more detailed and warmish sounding compared to the mostly neutral presentation of the Comet.

Listening to a MQA album on Qobuz, I don't see any indication on the D2 front panel the a MQA file is playing. Is this normal?.

I don't think MQA is supported by Qobuz.

In the App can you see the small MQA logo next to the track, or a Hi-Res one?

If you're on TIDAL, then an MQA logo would be visible and it would also say MQA on the front panel. If you can't see that, then go to App>Settings>LUMIN Options>MQA Mode and check that it's on Analogue Output.
    [Associated with LUMIN]

Listening to a MQA album on Qobuz, I don't see any indication on the D2 front panel the a MQA file is playing. Is this normal?.
    Qobuz is not supporting MQA but there are a few albums that have passed their view. This one popped up for me this morning on my Lumin.

IMG_0611.JPG
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Please make sure Lumin MQA setting is set to Analog. There are often multiple formats/versions of the same album on both Tidal and Qobuz. Please make sure you try all versions (with Roon some are hidden and need to be chosen manually). With Qobuz, albums can get downgraded due to subscription type and region. Certain MQA albums only have a few tracks in MQA, not the whole album.

MQA on Qobuz requires a bit explanation. Qobuz does not support MQA as a business direction, but if the labels (e.g. 2L) supply Qobuz only with MQA albums, Qobuz has no choice but to stream it. This is causing a controversy at audiophilestyle.com .
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by grubble View Post
    I'm considering a D2 but wonder if anyone has compared it to an Exogal Comet, which I currently have.
    Just wanted to provide a response to my own question, in case anyone in the future is looking for feedback around the comparison between the D2 and the Comet.

The Comet errs on the neutral and dry side of things. The D2 digs a little deeper into the music and presents a bit more detail on music. In playing Vijay Iyer’s “Mutations” album on Quboz, the upsampling on the D2 presents a lot more information than I have heard it via the microRendu + Comet combo. There’s a lot of information on the strings tracks that has a lot of spatial cues, subtle but quite effective at painting the palette of the stage for the listener. The Comet gets this almost right but causes a bit of overlap and smearing of instruments into each other. The D2 almost gets it right with placing them in distinct positions with a bit of spatiality and separateness to them.

On Gogo Penguin’s brilliant “A Humdrum Star”, there’s a drive to the second track “Raven” that has a pace and rhythm in the drums which doesn’t sound slow but leads the piano accompanying. On the Comet, the drums recede into the background and doesn’t have the urgency on that drive with this track. A different presentation.

I’ve got around 40 hours on the D2 whereas the Comet has been with me for a couple of years now. Definitely appreciate the convenience of one unit to do streaming and DAC duties but didn’t expect the DAC to be quite outstanding. This isn’t a laid back sounding unit at all, which I thought surprising. Employing Wolfson DAC chips, a previous DAC I heard with these were quite warm sounding and laid back. The D2 has some of the warmth but is actually quite neutral overall in its presentation. The implementation has a lot to do with this so the folks at Lumin know how to squeeze the detail out of this DAC chipset.

Quite impressed overall in my system. Connected via balanced outs to a Luxman L-550AX driving Merlin TSM-MxE speakers.

-dave

In playing Vijay Iyer’s “Mutations” album on Quboz, the upsampling on the D2 presents a lot more information than I have heard it via the microRendu + Comet combo.
    Thanks for comparison.

What upsampling setting do you use with the D2?
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter, here are the settings. Haven’t played around too much on settings yet.

10C901D1-1A7C-4FEE-9B44-677E052D1931.jpeg
    B949A72D-7B08-4E53-8608-A098244266F8.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Just leave it one and play it. I haven't turned mine off in 5 months, heck maybe even longer. In my opinion, its the best value in audio.
    Totally agree. For me the Lumin D2 for price / quality is unbeatable. My Lumin D2 after 300-350 hours started to sound a lot better.

Have had my D2 on 24-7 since I received it from Mike in Feb. Love the sound, except, at times when playing a Qobuz album selection. Occasionally at the start of a track, I get WHITE NOISE. Not sure of the reason. I get the WN with A+ from Qobuz. Will see If this is from Qobuz or a internet problem. Will also run some files from my local (NAS) to see If the problem persists.

I get the WN with A+ from Qobuz. Will see If this is from Qobuz or a internet problem.
    Based on the user reports, the white noise only happens with using Audirvana+ to play to a Lumin. If you use Lumin app or Linn Kazoo app or Roon you will not experience white noise.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I am considering replacing the endpoint that feeds my whole house set-up. The SQ is important but not critical since all of the speakers are in-wall units. What is important is that the unit is a plug and play Roon all in one end point. I just want to be able to plug the device into my network, have Roon see then configure the unit.

It looks like the D2 should fit the bill. Has anyone had a issue when connecting the D2's via ethernet cable connected to a wireless device/switch?
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Jim

I ran the D1 that way for over a year with no problem and the D2 shouldn't be any different. Still doing it with both the Teac Reference and the Bridge II.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Jim

I ran the D1 that way for over a year with no problem and the D2 shouldn't be any different. Still doing it with both the Teac Reference and the Bridge II.
    Jack, thanks. That is the way I am running my endpoint for Sooloos which is currently feeding the whole house set-up. Looking for a better Roon solution.
    Jim

The D2 should certainly fill the bill. I sold my D1 and bought the Teac just to try something different in terms of the DAC chipset but it also runs on the Lumin software like the Esoteric streamers so I didn't have to change or lose anything.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Has anyone had a issue when connecting the D2's via ethernet cable connected to a wireless device/switch?
    I am running it this way currently. Have a UniFi AC PRO AP (Access Point) connecting wirelessly in mesh mode. Then use the extra Ethernet port on the AP to connect my D2. There was a bit of configuration of the AP initially to get it to be part of the mesh network. It operates exclusively for the purpose of providing the D2 connectivity to my network, not for allowing other WiFi devices to attach to the AP.

-dave

Have a UniFi AC PRO AP (Access Point) connecting wirelessly in mesh mode.
    We need to replace our dying WiFi access point in our office. We may consider this brand too.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I am running it this way currently. Have a UniFi AC PRO AP (Access Point) connecting wirelessly in mesh mode. Then use the extra Ethernet port on the AP to connect my D2. There was a bit of configuration of the AP initially to get it to be part of the mesh network. It operates exclusively for the purpose of providing the D2 connectivity to my network, not for allowing other WiFi devices to attach to the AP.

-dave
    I have been using a Orbi mesh network since last summer. I have posted elsewhere what poor support Netgear provides for these units. I was unable to connect any of my audio related devices directly to the ports on the main Orbi router or either of the satellites without inserting a TrensNet switch at each point. If I decided to go with the D2 that is how it would also be connected.
    Jim

Can I use the D2 as a pre amp(I see it has digital volume control function)?
    ie I have a class d power amp and want to keep things v simple.

Yes you can 😊👍🏼🎵

My Orbi router and Orbi satellite have worked flawlessly. The Orbis are directly connected to a Sonos amp, Lumin U1, Direcstream DAC, and Direcstream Memory Player. Never have had an issue and no switch needed.
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp, SST Son of Ampzilla II Amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, ELAC 3070 Sub, Roon Nucleus w/8TB SSD storage

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - HiFi Rose RS250, KEF LS50W Nocturne Speakers

Lumin D2 review by Fidelity Magazine (google translate):
    https://www.fidelity-magazin.de/2019/05/22/lumin-d2-streamingplayer-im-test/
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Would like to connect a Lumin D2 to a Marantz SR8012 using coax. Would a BNC male to RCA female adaptor (gold) work?. Already have the D2 running using balanced outs to my preamp. THX.

Shouldn't be a problem just turn the digital output off when you're not using it.

Can a German speaking member please translate this graph from the link that Peter provided in post #84?

Attached Images Attached Images

Would like to connect a Lumin D2 to a Marantz SR8012 using coax. Would a BNC male to RCA female adaptor (gold) work?. Already have the D2 running using balanced outs to my preamp. THX.
    Adapter should work, or a BNC-to-RCA digital coax cable.

If you have previously disabled the digital output, you'll need to enable it to use the BNC output.

When using digital output you'll need to change MQA mode to Digital Output and DSD mode to PCM. When switching back to analog output you'll need to change MQA mode back to Analog Output and DSD mode back to Bitstream.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

The adapter works on my D1, so you should’n have any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubes View Post
    Can a German speaking member please translate this graph from the link that Peter provided in post #84?

Steve if no Germans get back to this i will try my best interpretation of it.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

Quote Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
    Steve if no Germans get back to this i will try my best interpretation of it.
    Thanks Flemming, I really appreciate your offer.

Euphonish = something that sounds in tune
    Lebendig = lively / alive
    Analytisch = Analytical
    Sonor = Not too sure about this one but i would say something along density
    If any Germans are around on this one please correct me if i am wrong on any of this terms.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Nordost QB8

Quote Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
    Euphonish = something that sounds in tune
    Lebendig = lively / alive
    Analytisch = Analytical
    Sonor = Not too sure about this one but i would say something along density
    If any Germans are around on this one please correct me if i am wrong on any of this terms.
    Thank you again Flemming, that's more than I knew about it this morning!

Your welcome Steve , i am glad i can help.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Nordost QB8

Anybody can help? Having trouble with my d2. My d2 will only play the first song on my loader play list After the first song ended it will take a while to move to next song on the list but will not play Just skipping from song to song and not playing To listen to the list of songs in the playlist now I will have to tap on the song every time one song end in order for it to play the next song. If I don’t tap it will just skip from song to song but not playing And when using Spotify connect I am having problem connecting my lumin on the Spotify devices list Either I can find my lumin on the list but couldn’t connect or at times my lumin don’t even appear on the list. The skip in and not playing problem I use to encounter in the past And most time I just have to disable tidal and re login in and the problem will be gone But this time this don’t work anymore
    Have been using my d2 for about a year Great product hope to get it solved soon

Please power off Lumin using the rear power switch and iPad. Power cycle the Wi-Fi router and all network switches. Wait for 5 minutes then power everything up.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks for the quick response It’s ok now Happy times
    谢谢

I have an older I pad mini. What is the oldest version of IOS that will work with the Lumin app?

Can anyone give a comparison of the Auralic Altair to the Lumin D2?

Does the Lumin app support Amazon hires? If not, what is the projected date? Does Lumin support Quobuz?

Does the Lumin app have an equalizer built in like the Auralic Lightning app?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin D2