Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

integrateds, monos, stereo amps.

it's me, the dummy, again!

OK, I am going to get ELAC AF 61 speakers, sensitivity 87 dB. recc. 50-160 watts/channel. room is only 13 by 13 feet, do NOT need super volume levels.

from my reading, I think Nelson Pass is really quite interesting.
    Pass labs makes integrated, stereo, and mono amps. since I came from "old school", I was led to believe that separates, are better. I will not go into all the models, but just wondered if there is any advantage in SOUND from going from a nice integrated like their INT 60, to a stereo amp, to two mono amps?

SOUND is what I am after, not just spending money for the sake of spending!

I welcome any and all ideas!

thanks!

anxious to get my speakers! from Mike as usual!
    best,

bob
    stereo: integrated amp: Triode TRX 88pp with KT 88 tubes. oppo 105 CD player, Schiit yggdrasil DAC, Harbeth 30.2 speakers., two REL T/5 subwoofers.

Bob, no dumb questions here, just interested audiophiles exchanging views. So fire away integrateds, monos, stereo amps..

Generally seen the qualities of the Pass amps improve a) the higher in the range you go and b) the longer the amp stays in class A. For the latter P8 Series (X###.8) < XA Series (XA###.8) < XS series.

In my humble view the INT-60 is kind of a sweet spot in case the power is sufficient for you, as it stays up to 30W in Class A. That is more Class A than you get from its bigger brother and even most of the large P8 amps. The XA60.8 monos give you more Class A and more of everything overall. But it needs to be noted that the improvement comes at minimum double to triple cost with a pre. For you room even the XA30.8 might suffice.

Just my 2 cts, others might have alternate views though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

DSkip

Re: integrateds, monos, stereo amps.

Integrated amplifiers in general have made massive strides over the past 5-10 years. I've seen more of a shift to integrated amps instead of separates for many of my clients and they've been very happy with the results. I wouldn't discount any product simply because it integrates multiple components into one. Heck, one of the nicer budget amps I've heard is the $1500 iFi Stereo 50. It's an all-tube integrated that incorporates a phono, DAC, and Bluetooth connectivity and has incredible synergy.

The TRX88 looks to be a nice Class A integrated, self bias, unless the speakers you are looking at have wide impedance swings I'd think your amp should drive them well enough for that size room, 2x50 into 8 ohms..

What is it you are looking to improve on? I didn't see a DAC in your sig, if just using the Oppo as source, have you thought about trying an upgrade in DAC? Even if the Oppo is modded, the kind of money you are looking to spend would buy a better DAC.

As already mentioned whether it's a single box or 3 or 4, it really depends on what you are looking at, there are some really good integrated amps out these days.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

thanks! especially Mr. Peabody! I just have a simplistic understanding of DAC's!! I think they change the digital signal of CD to analog, which my amp and speakers need. it has a sabre DAC, whatever the hell that is.

OK, I got my oppo because it can play SACD discs, although I do not have any yet! and it is SUPPOSED to have a good DAC. I heard it was a good value at the price.

in your opinion, which DAC would I buy to noticeably improve my sound- sound that you can HEAR! what is the cost? how do I hook it up to the oppo? does it somehow bypass the DAC in the oppo?

I am definitely going to receive the speakers, and see, for a long while, how my amp does with them!

I am not a billionaire, and I choose my parts carefully. I thought the REL subwoofers I got for around $750 each made a HUGE difference in sound!
    best,

bob
    stereo: integrated amp: Triode TRX 88pp with KT 88 tubes. oppo 105 CD player, Schiit yggdrasil DAC, Harbeth 30.2 speakers., two REL T/5 subwoofers.

Hey Bob, Kev here from down-under with a roo & barbie on the shrimp. I'd go for the oppo 205 & sell the 105, I think they are a decent upgrade over the 105. Bob, if you start chasing dacs, the smoke from your behind should clear in about ten years from now I reckon.... The 205 has a very good one in it & is very versatile.

Unless you need or want the network and streaming options on the 105 that OPPO didn't include on the new model. They want you to buy the Sonica for those. Change the 105 only if their is something you don't like. If you like the transport functions of the 105 and just want to experiment with another DAC you can do that without emptying the piggybank. Bob I would just stay put until you get the Elac's and get a handle on what they will and won't do with the Triode. If you decide you need more current in that room then you can look around. Just arbitrarily changing to the INT-60 with a few more watts won't necessarily be the answer.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Hi Bob, the Oppo has a built in DAC (digital to analog converter) when you use the RCA outputs the signal is analog, (already converted). You could replace the Oppo entirely or just buy an outboard DAC. An outboard DAC would connect to one of the Oppo's digital outputs, I'm not sure what all it has, could be optical, coaxial or if it can output digital SACD maybe HDMI. A DAC like any component varies in price. I'm an old school disc spinner so have to preference on DAC's. The Schiit Yggy is said to be a giant killer, Yggy is short for something, I forget the real name of the DAC. I've also heard some of the Marantz Reference DAC's I liked. A lot of forums dwellers recommend the Chord Hugo or MyTech Brooklyn.

If using an outboard DAC with your Oppo, you'd still use the Oppo remote and allow the player to play the disc, then the digital stream would pass to the better DAC for the conversion.

Some people say digital is digital or not much difference, yatta, yatta. I say it's foolish. Here's why; ANY DETAIL not extracted from your source (disc/LP) by the player, IS, lost, nothing you can do downstream will allow you to hear that lost detail. So it's important to begin with the best source possible and them maintain the signal the best you can until it reaches your ears.

So if people want to put a $500.00 player on a multi-thousand dollar set up, what can I do if they won't listen, or, can't hear. Don't make sense though.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bob View Post
    thanks! especially Mr. Peabody! I just have a simplistic understanding of DAC's!! I think they change the digital signal of CD to analog, which my amp and speakers need. it has a sabre DAC, whatever the hell that is.

OK, I got my oppo because it can play SACD discs, although I do not have any yet! and it is SUPPOSED to have a good DAC. I heard it was a good value at the price.

in your opinion, which DAC would I buy to noticeably improve my sound- sound that you can HEAR! what is the cost? how do I hook it up to the oppo? does it somehow bypass the DAC in the oppo?

I am definitely going to receive the speakers, and see, for a long while, how my amp does with them!

I am not a billionaire, and I choose my parts carefully. I thought the REL subwoofers I got for around $750 each made a HUGE difference in sound!
    best,

bob
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team