Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

What are the exact sonic differences between Ref110 and Ref150se

Hi

I have the opportunity to upgrade from Ref 110 to Ref150 se. At this stage I cannot do a pre-audition of the Ref 150se.

Now I need to turn to the collective wisdom on the forum. What sonic differences exist's between the two amplifiers ?

Some seem to suggest that a Ref 110 paired with a Ref 6 pre is warmer sounding to a Ref 150Se and Ref6 pairing?

Comments welcome.

Thanks

Jozua

Re: What are the exact sonic differences between Ref110 and Ref150se

Upgrade from Ref 110 to Ref 150 SE ????
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by nonesup View Post
    Upgrade from Ref 110 to Ref 150 SE ????
    Yes !

old ARC sounds more like whitish SS.

new ARC has its best sound since the 70s.

you can tell which one i prefer
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Must be a new AR service. I had Ref 110 and Ref 150 (not SE), and I had to sell my 110 and buy a 150. Of course the 150 is better amplifier and if the price is reasonable I would upgrade without a doubt.
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

I have taken the plunge, a R150SE is on its way to me..

I am currently using a Ls27 pre with the Ref110 and to my ears it is a stunning combo. It will be interesting to see whether the 150SE can improve upon the system synergy.

The assumption is that a Ref 6 must be the next logical step - that still needs to be seen as some locals say a Ref6 and a Ref 110 is a sweeter sounding combination than a Ref6 and Ref150SE combo.

Ref 150SE in the house with 570 hours on the clock.

Initial impressions are that it is different beast than the Ref 110 which in hindsight remains a very musical amplifier.

Both are keepers.

Jozua

Some personal opinions of how the two amplifiers compare:

Ref 110

1. Drive: With the correct speaker loading the R110 it remains a very competent amplifier. Mate it with the wrong speaker and it sounds average.
    2. Tonal balance: Sweeter sounding than the R150se - as if the music has more body.
    3. 3d Sound: Excellent. Bear in mind the R110 is fully burnt in.
    4. CD Sound: Much more forgiving with poor CD recordings.
    5. Vibration Sensitivity: Hard sponge under the chassis works well.

Ref 150SE

1. Drive: Much more dynamic than the R110 with excellent slam in the midrange. Suitable for a much wider range of loudspeakers.
    2. Tonal Balance: Seems to be more transparent- with more audible small detail. On the wrong stand it becomes clinical.
    3. 3d Sound: A much more solid image than the R110 but I am hoping that the ability to listen into the recording will improve over time
    4. CD Sound: Poor cd's sound unbearable.
    5. Vibration Sensitivity: Super critical - I found piano insulators with solid rubber balls directly under the feet give the best results. If not the bass can become over bearing. Once the amp has been insulated from vibrations everythings just snaps into place.

General Comments

There is a marked difference between the R110 and R150se. It is not as if the R150se is light years better than the R110. They different amplifiers and I would not be suprised if the Kt120 provides a better tonal balance in some instances compared to the KT150's.

I would love to hear how a Ref6 pre sounds with R110 ?

For me both amps retain their Reference status and are keepers. I prefer the R150se.

Just a quick update- I am approaching 600 hours on the SE. Definitely beginning to sound much better !

My friend recently bought the Ref 150SE. His old amp he won't sell is an ARC VT-130 with new updated KT-88 tubes.
    We auditioned/compared both amps. It was remarkably difficult to hear the difference between the VT-130 and the Ref 150SE.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozua View Post
    I have taken the plunge, a R150SE is on its way to me..

I am currently using a Ls27 pre with the Ref110 and to my ears it is a stunning combo. It will be interesting to see whether the 150SE can improve upon the system synergy.

The assumption is that a Ref 6 must be the next logical step - that still needs to be seen as some locals say a Ref6 and a Ref 110 is a sweeter sounding combination than a Ref6 and Ref150SE combo.
    "Some locals" in any city/state/country will say damn near anything which is why they should be mainly ignored unless they are actually audiophiles that you know and trust. And in that case, they wouldn't be "some locals." Having owned the Ref 5SE and the Ref 6, the Ref 6 is clearly a better sounding preamp. It would be hard to imagine the Ref 6 not being a big step forward in sound quality over your LS27 with your new Ref 150SE. As for which amp would sound better with the Ref 6 between the Ref 110 and the Ref 150SE, why look in the rearview mirror? You already stated you prefer the 150SE over the 110 now that you have had the 150SE in your system long enough for it to break in and understand what it's bringing to the table. Congrats on your purchase.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by skytop View Post
    My friend recently bought the Ref 150SE. His old amp he won't sell is an ARC VT-130 with new updated KT-88 tubes.
    We auditioned/compared both amps. It was remarkably difficult to hear the difference between the VT-130 and the Ref 150SE.
    Two considerations:

1. What speakers were you using?
    2. Each new ARC is punted as better- that may be so but to me that not always true but just a different flavor in the equipment mix. A good mix need not always be the latest and the greatest.

Some personal opinions of how the two amplifiers compare:

Ref 110

1. Drive: With the correct speaker loading the R110 it remains a very competent amplifier. Mate it with the wrong speaker and it sounds average.
    2. Tonal balance: Sweeter sounding than the R150se - as if the music has more body.
    3. 3d Sound: Excellent. Bear in mind the R110 is fully burnt in.
    4. CD Sound: Much more forgiving with poor CD recordings.
    5. Vibration Sensitivity: Hard sponge under the chassis works well.

Ref 150SE

1. Drive: Much more dynamic than the R110 with excellent slam in the midrange. Suitable for a much wider range of loudspeakers.
    2. Tonal Balance: Seems to be more transparent- with more audible small detail. On the wrong stand it becomes clinical.
    3. 3d Sound: A much more solid image than the R110 but I am hoping that the ability to listen into the recording will improve over time
    4. CD Sound: Poor cd's sound unbearable.
    5. Vibration Sensitivity: Super critical - I found piano insulators with solid rubber balls directly under the feet give the best results. If not the bass can become over bearing. Once the amp has been insulated from vibrations everythings just snaps into place.

General Comments

There is a marked difference between the R110 and R150se. It is not as if the R150se is light years better than the R110. They different amplifiers and I would not be suprised if the Kt120 provides a better tonal balance in some instances compared to the KT150's.

I would love to hear how a Ref6 pre sounds with R110 ?

For me both amps retain their Reference status and are keepers. I prefer the R150se.
    Thanks for that review - I've had my eye on the 150se but perhaps wait for them to come down on the used market first. Might take a couple more years.

Hi

I suspect the Ref110 will be stunning when the KT120 are replaced with KT150 valves.

In fact I am surprised that nobody seems to have done it.

Take care.

Jozua

Hi

I suspect the Ref110 will be stunning when the KT120 are replaced with KT150 valves.

In fact I am surprised that nobody seems to have done it.

Take care.

Jozua
    I just noticed someone has a black ref 110 with KT150's for sale right now. I'd snag it to try but I'm kinda low on funds.

Even just as interesting is there is a pair of black VM120s for sale right now. I'd love to try those with KT150s as well.

Need money!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury3 View Post
    I just noticed someone has a black ref 110 with KT150's for sale right now. I'd snag it to try but I'm kinda low on funds.

Even just as interesting is there is a pair of black VM120s for sale right now. I'd love to try those with KT150s as well.

Need money!
    I would love to know the Ref110 seller's thoughts on using the KT150's in the Ref110....

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

What are the exact sonic differences between Ref110 and Ref150se