Magenpan 3.7i - What amplifier ? - Page 5
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Magenpan 3.7i - What amplifier ?

Quote Originally Posted by watts View Post
    The last pair of "nice" speakers I listened to were Focal Utopias. They were impressive. As I adjusted my seat that the salesperson put me in so that I got a central image he then confessed that they didn't really setup the system properly, and the room wasn't that great etc. Well then why have them there at all if they are not placed adequately? I suppose many people just buy them because they have a budget of $40,000 for speakers, or just to tell everyone else they own $40 k speakers??

All I know is I wouldn't trade my 3.6's for them.
    Glad you like them Thanks for reply
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Paul,

A couple more insights re Pass 260.8:

1 - You will probably stay in Class A most of the time with the Westies.

2 - Having worked at Magnepan, I still have some friends there. I know for a fact that some folks at Magnepan think that this X series - including the 260.8 & 350.8 - may be the best sounding amps that they have heard with their speakers. Of course, ymmv - but I doubt it.

Best,

Jim
    Small Green Computer; gigaFoil 4 Ethernet filter w/ Keces PS-3; Sonore ultraRendu; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; AQ Diamond USB; Duelund USB; Curious USB; Lush USB; Supra USB; PS Audio LanRover; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; 4 Audioquest Diamond ethernet - 0.75M, 1.5 M, 3M, 5M; Audioquest Diamond AES - 3M; Schiit Yggdrasil - updated; Ayre Codex - updated; Wyred4Sound STP-SE-2 preamplifier, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/KT150s; Wyred4Sound STP-750E Mk II amplifier w/Kimber TCX wiring & WBT binding posts; Quicksilver Mid Mono amplifiers w/KT77s, Joseph Audio Perspective 2 Graphenes; Symposium Super Plus Speaker Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA ICs; Tripp Lite PCs; Stealth Dream PCs; dedicated custom room; various room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

3. Likes joeinid, Paul, Ritmo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    Paul,

A couple more insights re Pass 260.8:

1 - You will probably stay in Class A most of the time with the Westies.

2 - Having worked at Magnepan, I still have some friends there. I know for a fact that some folks at Magnepan think that this X series - including the 260.8 & 350.8 - may be the best sounding amps that they have heard with their speakers. Of course, ymmv - but I doubt it.

Best,

Jim
    Oh my.... you are killing me. I don't really need another amps to be honest. But what the heck ! It's your recommendation so let's do it ! Hahaha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Your system could look and sound like this. This setup impressed many at the Taves 2016 show which happened right in your city!

https://www.exasound.com/Blog/tabid/...AVES-2016.aspx

Oh, and the Axpona Chicago show in 2015:
    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...nalog-sources/
    Tidal/Roon>exaSound Playpoint>exaSound e22>Marchand XM44>Nord OneUp NC500 x2>Magneplaner 3.6r: Wireworld digital, Transparent Plus & Audio Sensibility Statement XLR's, Audio Sensibility Testament power cords, Solid Tech reference rack, Discs of silence, Mye Stands, RCPC Pro 400, Hubbell outlets & dedicated lines, DIY RPG diffusor & panels

6. Likes joeinid, Paul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by watts View Post

Your system could look and sound like this. This setup impressed many at the Taves 2016 show which happened right in your city!

https://www.exasound.com/Blog/tabid/...AVES-2016.aspx

Oh, and the Axpona Chicago show in 2015:
    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...nalog-sources/
    Yup. I was there and got me curious about the Magnepan and actually I even really liked the exasound digital system too. Thanks you for the post !
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I have personal experience with the 2100wpc 30a current D-sonic m3a3000s and the Sanders Magtech. I have also listened to maggie with Rogue audio apollo dark(Tube), Krell 700cx(Big ss class A, and JE audio s400 (hybrid).

1 With the higher wpc, the more bass and dynamic you get.(bass, dynamic)
    2 With the higher current, the better the maggie sing. (density, control)
    Assuming you have a good pair of speaker cables to do the transmission.

Because maggie is super fast and transparent, I find SS amp is always better than the tube amp. You may get a bit tube sound from the tube amp, but you will comprise in speed and dynamic of those SS amp. And SS amp are in general cheaper and easier to maintain. For tube sound, you can get them elsewhere from the dac or preamp.
    Source: Apodidae Switch&Router- Synology 918+ -SonicTransporter i7, ultrarendu, iso regen
    DAC and Preamp: Lampizator Golden Gate - KR242/Psvane WE300B + TAK 274B
    Amp: Sanders Magtech
    Speaker: Magnepan 3.7i
    Power: Isol-8 LC SE, Uptone
    Analog Cables: Cerious Technolgoies Matrix
    Digital Cables: Intona Reference USB, Cat-8 Lan with Telegartner.

9. Likes a.wayne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

d-sonic.com amps have been happily used to drive Maggies.
    See AVSForum

Post Thanks / Like

My d-sonic is for sales. Anyone interested can msg me.

Quote Originally Posted by Conanb1 View Post
    d-sonic.com amps have been happily used to drive Maggies.
    See AVSForum
    Source: Apodidae Switch&Router- Synology 918+ -SonicTransporter i7, ultrarendu, iso regen
    DAC and Preamp: Lampizator Golden Gate - KR242/Psvane WE300B + TAK 274B
    Amp: Sanders Magtech
    Speaker: Magnepan 3.7i
    Power: Isol-8 LC SE, Uptone
    Analog Cables: Cerious Technolgoies Matrix
    Digital Cables: Intona Reference USB, Cat-8 Lan with Telegartner.

Post Thanks / Like

So you have forget Jeff Rowland Model 625 S2...
    Marantz SA7S1/GRIMM AUDIO CC1/MARK LEVINSON 360S+TECHNICS SL1210 MKII/ORTOFON X1-MC/VPI CLASSIC 3 in rosewood/Audio-Technica ART-9/ESOTERIC E03+TAG MC LAREN T32R+JEFF ROWLAND CORUS+JEFF ROWLAND MODEL 625+INFINTY KAPPA 100+Cables line: all Furutech lineflux+power cord DIY

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5