Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Ref 150SE to be replaced with a Ref 160?

Hi

Wonder when the official news will break ?

Keen to hear the improvements.

Jozua

Super Moderator

Re: Ref 150SE to be replaced with a Ref 160?

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Where did you hear this? It's news to me.

Did your dealer in South Africa tell you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Mike

I heard it iin the passing from a visiting tourist..

J

The rumor has been out there for quite awhile...
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

There are times when shell is there but innards are missing or scant. my order of Gs 150 never materalized
    Now i am hallucinating that engineers have worked their magic and created another msterwork call it ref 160 or whatever.
    I am in line if it is true?

Super Moderator

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for joining.
    Thanks joe,Glad to be here!

Quote Originally Posted by sam5 View Post
    There are times when shell is there but innards are missing or scant. my order of Gs 150 never materalized
    Now i am hallucinating that engineers have worked their magic and created another msterwork call it ref 160 or whatever.
    I am in line if it is true?
    I suspect the Ref 160 might not be an illusion,I could see preserved Gs 150 meters,unless AR decide to merge 150 line and create an updated model Ref 160 SE
    any thoughts?

I suspect the Ref 160 might not be an illusion,I could see preserved Gs 150 meters,unless AR decide to merge 150 line and create an updated model Ref 160 SE
    any thoughts?
    Since no one has added ,let me guess is the expected Ref 160 is Mono block or a stereo AMP?
    Do you wish it to have meeters ??
    Have updated circuit boards ,sentry moniroing,tubebias adjustment, a self diagnostic amp for faults?
    Price 2-3 times to ref 150??
    Any dealers heard through the Grape vine??

Audioshark

Not a peep here. You think it could just be a rumor? RMAF is two weeks away (yeah!!!), maybe we will learn something there one way or the other.

I am so happy with my new ARC equipment. Ref 150SE to be replaced with a Ref 160?

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Not a peep here. You think it could just be a rumor? RMAF is two weeks away (yeah!!!), maybe we will learn something there one way or the other.

I am so happy with my new ARC equipment. Ref 150SE to be replaced with a Ref 160?
    My last AR amp was VT 150 SE circa 1995 hooked to LsmkII(my introduction to audiophile for a net sum of $20k. I
    loved the sound, better than mcintosh as it had resolution and vocals were sweet not velvty. Now I wish topurchase ist a new AR amp.
    What i wish, is to get a a state of art tube amp with front meters,more resolution,better imaging,layering of stage, abundant bass,autobias and i could go on with wish list.
    But it is a fact that i started saving Benjamins in my dream, to purchase a 150 watt monoblock of superior quality with front meter and all the gizmos
    Dream is on ,Keep dreaming----
    New year is around corner then wake up and I jump out to--------

Ref 160 pictures are in private circulation. Mono blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozua View Post
    Ref 160 pictures are in private circulation. Mono blocks.
    Ha Ha! I knew it was coming in New year and do not hold back for 260 SE sometimes later?

Any idea of suggested retail price for AR 160 Mono Blocks?? perhaps 30k per set

I do not like the look.... and would prefer a more classical look...

Where can i see the photos of new amps?

Super Moderator

+1

Where can i see the photos of new amps?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Similar to VTL with a massive gaping hole/window in the fascia to display the valves...

Audioshark

Patience...young grasshopper!

Hey Mike! since you bought the last Gs 150 amp, I suspect you are privileged to have more information than you are willing to share
    Sami

Audioshark

Hey Mike! since you bought the last Gs 150 amp, I suspect you are privileged to have more information than you are willing to share
    Sami
    https://youtu.be/UmzsWxPLIOo

I'm guessing the design is like the Foundation series and REF6 which I actually like better than the classic look.
    Rance

Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4 + Keces P3 Power Supply | Shunyata Alpha Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | Kharma Elegance dB11-S | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000/T v2 | Kharma Elegance signal cables| Luminous Audio Technology power cables | Isoacoustics OREA vibration isolators | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustic room treatments | Acoustic Sciences Corporation IsoWall + IsoCeiling construction

The Ref 160M (mono blocs) price point is DOUBLE that of the Ref 150SE stereo amp. They are not competing in the same ball park.

ARC just released the new Reference 160S (stereo).

Following the example of the internationally-acclaimed 160M monaural power amplifier introduced in 2018, the Reference 160S (REF160S) is a vacuum-tube design with dual transparent power meters that float in front of the eight KT150 output power tubes. Power rating is 140 WP. Price is $20,000.

The 160S continues the feature set introduced in the 160M, including a proprietary auto-bias circuit, switchable Triode or Ultralinear modes of operation, balanced and single-ended inputs, and an output tube monitoring mode. Additionally, the 160S offers a four-layer circuit board, allowing music to emanate from a jet-black background. Weight is 100 pounds.

Attached Images Attached Images

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team