Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

McIntosh D1100 Digital Preamplifier DAC Review - Part One

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: McIntosh D1100 Digital Preamplifier DAC Review - Part One

Sure is beautiful
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Super Moderator

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Part 2: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...C2%A0two-r667/

And now on the CASH list!

I bought one about 10 months ago and I love it.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

Glad you love the D1100. I’d love to hear one.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Obviously I love McIntosh gear, growing up in the shadows of the factory in Binghamton. I am very curious why they choose to put old technology in their latest $7000 digital only DAC/Pre-amp? I mean the ESS 9018 chip was a fine DAC chip, and it performs well in my Pono portable music player and my Oppo CD/SACD, etc.

I have directly compared, unit for unit, another upstate New York company's DAC using the 9018 and the exact same unit using the new 9028 Pro. There was no contest, the new chips are night and day better. Also they have a higher model, the 9038 Pro, which I have also directly compared. This is night and day better then the 9028 Pro, let alone the older model.

So my point is this; I know that the DAC chip in and of itself does not determine the sound of any piece of equipment, however if you are releasing a new top of the line model why would you use the older model chip which is definitely inferior? The 9018 was a good chip in its day, but it was becoming very long in the tooth when it was replaced (prior to when the D1100 was released). It simply does not make any sense what so ever.

The unit looks very nice, but would be a ton better, especially at $7000 if it used the most up to date tech, and maybe if they put an analog input or two in it. Just my opinion, but certainly a reason I would never consider a McIntosh DAC ...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I had the D150 and it was not a bad sounding dac for what I payed for it but when I traded it in for D1100 it was a huge upgrade. Had a huge sound stage and alot of depth. Lot of space and crystal clear detail. I'm sure you can spend more and get better but I'm loving my system . for what it worth.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by godfatherpc View Post
    I had the D150 and it was not a bad sounding dac for what I payed for it but when I traded it in for D1100 it was a huge upgrade. Had a huge sound stage and alot of depth. Lot of space and crystal clear detail. I'm sure you can spend more and get better but I'm loving my system . for what it worth.
    That's awesome!

I loved the dac in my C52 when I had it. Actually, I loved the whole C52 package and that's one I should have kept.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by godfatherpc View Post
    And that is what it is all about. Mc gear is fantastic!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Is that the same DAC that is in my MA 9000?
    B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Bachtoven View Post
    Is that the same DAC that is in my MA 9000?
    MA9000 uses the DA1 Digital Audio Module.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    MA9000 uses the DA1 Digital Audio Module.
    Which one is considered to be the best between them?
    B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Bachtoven View Post
    Which one is considered to be the best between them?
    I can only make an assumption. Module vs: (from the McIntosh website)

"The D1100 Digital Preamplifier is a reference level stereo preamplifier and digital-to-analog converter (DAC). Its 8-channel, 32-bit DAC is used in Quad Balanced mode with half of it dedicated to the left audio channel and the other half to the right channel. It’s the most advanced DAC we’ve ever used and delivers an unprecedented level of performance so that all your digital music is reproduced with exceptional accuracy and authenticity."

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    I can only make an assumption. Module vs: (from the McIntosh website)

"The D1100 Digital Preamplifier is a reference level stereo preamplifier and digital-to-analog converter (DAC). Its 8-channel, 32-bit DAC is used in Quad Balanced mode with half of it dedicated to the left audio channel and the other half to the right channel. It’s the most advanced DAC we’ve ever used and delivers an unprecedented level of performance so that all your digital music is reproduced with exceptional accuracy and authenticity."
    Their description of the DA1 sounds similar: "The DA1 utilizes a powerful 8-channel, 32-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) used in Quad Balanced mode." Regardless, the DA1 sounds great.

I would guess it is the same. Sounds like they build their finest in the top of the line and offer it as an upgrade for people who have units with up-gradable DACs.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I would guess it is the same. Sounds like they build their finest in the top of the line and offer it as an upgrade for people who have units with up-gradable DACs.
    That's what I'm counting on! I do get that tiny fade-in, but it doesn't seem to affect all recordings. I could do without it, but it isn't a deal breaker.

on the short list to to replace my D100 in 2019.
    McIntosh/Sonus Faber/SimAudio, Woo Audio and Sennheiser stuff.

how is the headphone amp on this bad boy?
    McIntosh/Sonus Faber/SimAudio, Woo Audio and Sennheiser stuff.

Feb will make 2 years that I have owned the D1100 and it’s not going anywhere, sounds wonderful to me .... partners perfectly with my C1100 and other McIntosh gear. I also own a Meridian 808v6 and the 2 DACs sound virtually identical via the C1100/MC601s. My previous DAC was an Esoteric K01X and I have never had sellers remorse only great appreciation for the value represented by the D1100/MCT450 combo compared with the 2x as costly K01X. Imo, the D1100 9018 chip sounds worlds better than my oppo 203 in the same system. I couldn’t care less that the D1100 uses “older” chip technology, it’s the SQ that matters to me. McIntosh’s engineers know this chip well and have really maximized its potential with the D1100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team