Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Schiit out of luck.

Well I have had the Schiit Freya preamp at the office for about a week and brought it home Friday. It really is a fantastic preamp but I had a long sighh of relief when I dropped the REF 5SE back in tonight. I might give it some more burn in time. TBC.....
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Re: Schiit out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Well I have had the Schiit Freya preamp at the office for about a week and brought it home Friday. It really is a fantastic preamp but I had a long sighh of relief when I dropped the REF 5SE back in tonight. I might give it some more burn in time. TBC.....
    Well there's a reason the big-boy preamps cost $5K and up I'm not a huge fan of the 6SN7 tube either, but the 6H30 is great.

I run a Yggdrasil DAC in my headphone rig, and have heard the Mjolnir 2 tube headphone amp. I think the Yggdrasil is very good sounding for the money (as long as you avoid its awful USB Gen 3 input). I wasn't so blown away by the Mjolnir. For the main 2ch rig, I prefer my components to be of more substantial quality that what Schiit has on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
    Well there's a reason the big-boy preamps cost $5K and up I'm not a huge fan of the 6SN7 tube either, but the 6H30 is great.
    basically means you like 'neutral' vs 'warm' (ARC vs Cary)
    Cheers ! …. Dave

And just as many of us prefer it the other way around.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I wonder if the 6H30 would work in the Freya.......OOPS wrong socket.
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

having had lots of pre amps in past like yourself including the ref5se . i am currently using the schiit saga pre and its a super little thing . for the 360 pounds it costs it really is delightful
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Audioshark

I run a Yggdrasil DAC in my headphone rig, and have heard the Mjolnir 2 tube headphone amp. I think the Yggdrasil is very good sounding for the money (as long as you avoid its awful USB Gen 3 input). I wasn't so blown away by the Mjolnir. For the main 2ch rig, I prefer my components to be of more substantial quality that what Schiit has on offer.
    I wish there was more options for the 6H30. The Reflektor tubes are ridiculous at $399/piece. I will try the EH 6H30's one of these days. I just don't think they will sound much different given that it's the same tube (with gold pins).
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I wish there was more options for the 6H30. The Reflektor tubes are ridiculous at $399/piece. I will try the EH 6H30's one of these days. I just don't think they will sound much different given that it's the same tube (with gold pins).
    What's wrong with the commonly available 6H30 tubes? Just looking for new flavors?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    What's wrong with the commonly available 6H30 tubes? Just looking for new flavors?
    The Sovtek’s? Just trying to have some different flavors. I tried to get Eunice to make one, but I can’t repeat what she said. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

There is no difference in sound between the Sovtek and EH 6H30 tubes. They are made in the same factory and the only difference is the gold pins which I prefer due to the fact that the don't really oxidize much. My BAT pre uses 8 of them. They certainly are not a warm and fuzzy tube but they will last thousands of hours.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Your assessment of the Yggy is interesting as most people are probably using the usb input. I haven't read many negative posts about the Yggy.

I think the whole concept behind Schiit is good sound for cheap and I think that they succeed given their success with their Bifrost DAC and Mani phono preamp.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

I run a Yggdrasil DAC in my headphone rig, and have heard the Mjolnir 2 tube headphone amp. I think the Yggdrasil is very good sounding for the money (as long as you avoid its awful USB Gen 3 input).
    mulveling.......I have not heard the Gen 3 USB input on the first generation Yggdrasil DAC, but it seems to be the general consensus that the USB input was bested by the AES/EBU and coaxial inputs. Some reported that the USB Gen 3 input was a bit bright, so I can understand your comment. Having said that, the newest Yggdrasil DAC with the Analog 2 upgrade and the newest Gen 5 USB input is astonishing. You may want to consider having Schiit Audio perform the upgrade. My Yggdrasil Analog 2/Gen 5 USB is truly remarkable. I made a direct A/B comparison of the new Yggy to the Esoteric K-01X and discovered they are quite similar in performance despite their wide price difference ($20K to $2.4K). Even with such the huge price disparity the Yggdrasil can definitely hold its own against many top DACs.

If you haven't yet read my Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Review and Esoteric K-01X versus Schiit Audio Yggdrasil you may find those threads interesting.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

In my ARC pre these tubes did sound quite a bit better. An audio club buddy was over and we listened for some time and then we both agreed. A nice improvement. We compared original ARC provided tubes with low hours, and the EH purchased from Upscale, as ARC Select matched pair.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

a lot of tube guys have given me grief because of my love of the 6H30 tube in the preamp circuit. it's just such a clean sound, and still brings that holographic tube soundstaging to the table

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    In my ARC pre these tubes did sound quite a bit better. An audio club buddy was over and we listened for some time and then we both agreed. A nice improvement. We compared original ARC provided tubes with low hours, and the EH purchased from Upscale, as ARC Select matched pair.

I certainly don't doubt your findings but the Sovtek tubes have the same innards as the EH's minus the gold pins and they are made in the same factory. Could it be just the age of the tubes or better tube matching and microphonics. When I bought my EH's I had them matched and then when I got them, a friend tested them for me and he was surprised at how well they tested and how closely matched they were. Also, it is important to keep the pins on the non gold pin tubes clean. I would clean the pins on my non gold pin tubes once a year with deoxit.

Also, the gold pin tubes seem to fit tighter due the the extra coating making the pins slightly thicker. A better connection in the socket could account for better sound.

You may be correct. These factors I di not know. This is why I listed that I had purchased the Upscale ARC Select tubes which are supposed to be the tubes that tested the best are are reserved for ARC equipment. Any or all of the factors you mentioned may have contributed.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    I have a Freya also and it might be a bit too neutral for those looking for a more "tubey" sound. Haven't used in a couple months so forgot what tubes are in, not the factory stock. It's an outrageous bargain for a full featured domestic product. Add a zero or two and some folks might take it more seriously.

cheers,

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    I have a Freya also and it might be a bit too neutral for those looking for a more "tubey" sound. Haven't used in a couple months so forgot what tubes are in, not the factory stock. It's an outrageous bargain for a full featured domestic product. Add a zero or two and some folks might take it more seriously.

cheers,

AJ
    That is so true of a lot of gear. Bump up the price and people think it must be great. Many years ago Frank Van Alstine proved this. He had a piece of gear that was budget priced and it was not selling. He rebadged it, raised the price and it sold well. Go figure.

been using the freya every night since i got it a week ago , also added in a townshend dct xlr from my dac and the sound is weighty , tremendous soundstage and gripping . its getting better . an american friend popped in who is not an audiophile and was blown away , said it sounded better than the real thing . i am using all the stock tubes from freya as chap i got it from had some tungsol in the right side and it made too much tube noise in my horns . with the stock tubes all equal its pretty silent and very full blooded . this is a refreshing bargain

just over lunch i have been reading about the new 21k vivid speakers , 13k mac integrated etc etc ..... and here is a pre amp that costs a mere fraction of that price and sounds very good indeed .
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac

AJ
    The Freya is a great preamp in its league but the REF5SE outclasses it in every sector as it should. I am a budget minded audiophile at heart from my early days in the hobby. I need to dust the Freya off and add some NOS tubes and give it another listen.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post

cheers,

AJ
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

yes i miss my 5se but these days i have to be a bit more careful with money and this freya is very cost effective and compelling .

I would love to get a hold of a Freya and see what Jupiter, Deulund or Mundorf caps could do for it.

now that would be very interesting

Are these four Wima caps the coupling caps? Might be a fairly easy experiment. I don't think Schitt would agree.

Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

no but it would be good to try , this is my freya P1060387 by , on Flickr

and saga , which i really like a lot

P1060391 by , on Flickr

changed the valves in the freya for tung-sol and its a slightly warmer sound , definately an improvement on the stock valves . at 88 pounds for 4 valves thats not bad upgrade

Here's mine, but no, it doesn't compete with hi-end preamps. Throw the russians at it, much better
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks , maybe not , but its not bad for the money

I agree. For the money & the price it is a very good bargain.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Schiit out of luck.