Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Nagra 300i and phono stage

Hello

I have a 300i and a Melody with a phono stage off the ACPS11 power supply. I wish to use the phono stage only of the Melody - connected by XLR to the 300i

Q: Should the Melody volume be set to 0db, so I can only use the volume on the 300i ?

Not as much money as some - is the old PL-P phono stage better than the one in my Melody - I have a chance to change pre-amps, how would I use this with the 300i,

I have a MSA power amp, but prefer the sound of the 300i which connect to a Linn Klimax DS for my digital music, the vinyl is my next investment.

Thanks

Steve
    Last edited by Chester; July 25, 2017 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added more information on my HiFi options

Re: Nagra 300i and phono stage

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    Hello

I have a 300i and a Melody with a phono stage off the ACPS11 power supply. I wish to use the phono stage only of the Melody - connected by XLR to the 300i

Q: Should the Melody volume be set to 0db, so I can only use the volume on the 300i ?
    Hi Steve,

Yes I would think setting the volume knob at full (at or close to 0dB) passes the signal thru the Melody without attenuation.

Regards.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Your Nagra 300i is a very sweet amp. Quite a gem sound wise. And looks to kill. I've heard it many times as my dealer has one.

The PLP has a tube based phono stage while your Melody is solid state. They will sound a bit different...guessing the PLP will have better more transparent mids while the Melody is a bit better at the extremes. Any chance you can sell your Melody and buy a Nagra VPS? This is a killer good phono stage and will partner perfectly with your Nagra 300i.

You won't regret buying a Nagra VPS. I've owned mine for 7-8 years.

If you decide to keep your Nagra Melody, I think using the home theatre mode is best. This should by pass the Nagra Melody's volume control. Having two volume controls likely isn't the best sound outcome. From Nagra's website "the unitsports five inputs on RCA connectors and twoswitchable outputs, one on RCA and the other onXLR connectors. The latter can be bridged withthe XLR input if needed for Home cinema application." I suspect you'll need to move jumpers inside...will take 2 minutes tops and should be illustrated in you manual.

What part of the world do you live in?
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Amp: Nagra HD Preamp & Amps
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus & Opus Gen 5 Speaker
    Power Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks:
    Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

PS, just another thought, if you want to keep your Melody and use with your MSA, what about buying a Nagra BPS. They are pretty reasonable and very very good. It's essentially the same phono stage in your Melody I think. Also battery operationed if desired. About 100 hours playing time off a single 9 volt cell.

http://www.nagraaudio.com/nagra-bps/

Cool thing about the BPS is it can be located right next to your tonearm allowing for a very short signal path from cartridge/tonearm to phono stage. The less wire between cart/arm and phono stage is desirable.
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks:

Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    PS, just another thought, if you want to keep your Melody and use with your MSA, what about buying a Nagra BPS. They are pretty reasonable and very very good. It's essentially the same phono stage in your Melody I think. Also battery operationed if desired. About 100 hours playing time off a single 9 volt cell.

http://www.nagraaudio.com/nagra-bps/

Cool thing about the BPS is it can be located right next to your tonearm allowing for a very short signal path from cartridge/tonearm to phono stage. The less wire between cart/arm and phono stage is desirable.

Hello

Firstly I am in the UK

I had a BPS before the Melody phono stage , the sound is pretty much the same, when the Melody has the external Nagra power supply, silent.

Information - the BPS and Melody have or are to be deleted from the Nagra product range, not certain on the Jazz.
    Nagra have 4 BPS units left at the factory and I considered one, but the Melody has more flexibility for the future.

The Melody - I can not see any mention in the manual for changing the input structure, also the inside does not have any movable jumpers, other than the Phono stage.

I agree the 300i makes everything sound like smooth silk connected to the Linn Klimax DS. My tone arm is Reed 2B- ebony10 inch and has a single length of Cardas silver from the cartridge tags to the RCA plugs, My Cartridge at present is a miyajima madake, so worth the investment in the VPS (£6k in the UK) I have a spare VFS so part of the way on the upgrade journey.

Thanks for all the help and it's great to find a Nagra forum.

The VFS really helps the VPS. So given your added context, I really think you should go for a Nagra VPS !
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Racks:

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Nagra 300i and phono stage