Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Esoteric N-01

Re: Esoteric N-01

For the Spotify issue, try this: power down your N-01, iPad and all network switches and access points, and the whole network infrastructure. Power cycle the router. Wait for 5 minutes, then power up the network switches. Wait for 2 minutes, then power up the N-01 and iPad.

To play Tidal MQA you have to use the Esoteric Sound Stream app or Lumin app. The N-01 needs to be running the latest firmware - 10.1i for the network board and 1.02 for the system firmware. This way the N-01 network board directly streams from Tidal via the internet.

If you use AirPlay from iPad to play YouTube, the audio is sent from iPad (via WiFi) to N-01.

If you use AirPlay from MacBook Air to play anything, the audio is sent from MacBook Air to N-01. AirPlay is restricted to 16/44.1 so it is not ideal for MQA. This way the Tidal software on MacBook Air gets the music data from Tidal via internet, then formats it as AirPlay and delivers it to N-01.

Note that after testing AirPlay the Spotify app will use it to stream to N-01 instead of Spotify Connect. To recover from it, in Spotify app switch the device to iPad, then back to N-01.

Tidal MQA works fine, it sounds OK (on par with Spotify Premium), but the UI is clunky compared with Spotify.

Spotify Connect doesn't work at all, I suspect something got broken in a recent App update that stops it communicating with the SDK binary loaded in the N-01. Reset of my local infrastructure didn't restore normal operation.

SoundStream works fine, including Spotify Airplay. But as I've discovered, if you close the Airplay control device playback stops. Whereas for Spotify Connect it keeps playing if you close the control point (because N-01 is grabbing content directly from Spotify and not the control point).

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    Spotify Connect doesn't work at all, I suspect something got broken in a recent App update that stops it communicating with the SDK binary loaded in the N-01. Reset of my local infrastructure didn't restore normal operation.
    Try this:
    - Power down the N-01
    - Use a pin to insert into the very small hole near the Ethernet port and the USB drive port.
    - While holding the pin, power on the N-01 and keep holding it
    - The pin needs to be held for at least 20 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Try this:
    - Power down the N-01
    - Use a pin to insert into the very small hole near the Ethernet port and the USB drive port.
    This is why I love love my K-01x -- when my server acts up, just pop in a CD, press play and relax.

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Try this:
    - Power down the N-01
    @brodricj if you have not done the above yet, upgrade the N-01 to firmware 10.3j using the Esoteric Sound Stream app. After the upgrade is completed, in app settings, turn off Spotify Connect then turn it back on again.

See if these two procedures solve your Spotify Connect issue.

Cool, that fixed it! Spotify Connect back up and running!

This must be a new firmware as I checked recently and I was up-to-date. Checked today and 10.3j was there. Installed it, and now normal operation has been restored.

If anybody in 230V land wants to buy an N01 + G02X please PM me directly as I'm offering mine for sale.

I'm just clearing the decks in advance of Esoteric releasing the replacement for D1, which I'll buy with N-03T.

Everything included as per new. Condition is 100% unblemished from new.
    I am interested in the N-01, not the G02X though. Please PM me if you can just sell the N-01 alone. I am too new to this forum to be able to PM :/

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by essrand View Post
    I am interested in the N-01, not the G02X though. Please PM me if you can just sell the N-01 alone. I am too new to this forum to be able to PM :/
    Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

If you guys need help communicating, please let me know.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

If you guys need help communicating, please let me know.
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

If you could enable PM for my account that would be great.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by essrand View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

If you could enable PM for my account that would be great.
    I'm sorry I can't, but maybe Mike could do it for you. If you make 8 more posts, you'll be good to go.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I did send @essrand a PM, I didn't get any system generated message that the PM didn't get through.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I'm sorry I can't, but maybe Mike could do it for you. If you make 8 more posts, you'll be good to go.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    Not a problem. I did get brodric's PMs and was able to reply.

I see there is a new NET firmware for N-01 10.3l. So what's new?

For N-01 Roon Ready.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...k-audio-player

What do people think of this review?

I think the review is rubbish. I mean, just read the first paragraph of the conclusion on page 3. Utter gibberish.

I do however pay attention to the JA measurements in these reviews, and his findings of "Esoteric N-01 offers respectable measured performance" is slightly underwhelming for what I hear in my N-01, which is absolutely stunning sonically for everything that I throw at it (however I'm using an external master clock and Halcro dm-8 pre-amp).

And as for the reviewer waffling on about the freezing issue, and after blurbing all that out he ends up saying the problem has been fixed in software, I mean WTF??? Sure, onus on Esoteric to provide a functional review sample with current software, but to expend all those column inches to talk about a non-issue that doesn't exist any more is pedantic and completely needless. And on that point, I've owned my N-01 for almost a year and it has been flawless in operation, not a single instance of flaky behavior.

Has anyone compared the N-01 to the Lumin X1?

Super Moderator

I think X1 has only been out for a short while. It might take a little longer for more people to get their ears on it, let alone compare to anything else.

Hopefully someone might have some thoughts on the comparison.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Joe for the reply!

Super Moderator

You are very welcome. Give it a little time, I’m sure you’ll get some answers.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I just worked out I can stream Spotify to my N-01 without needing a premium subscription. Airplay from iPad Spotify iOS App works great! And it sounds great too! I can't Airplay from a MacBook Air to N-01, but the MacBook can control the iPad running the Spotify App...

On your MacBook Air, move the cursor/mouse up to the volume icon at the top of the screen (overall computer volume) and click on it and see if the N-01 is in the list of devices that appear underneath.
    At some point in the past, Apple allowed you to send audio to some outside devices. Other devices show up when I click on the volume setting on my 2013 MacBook Pro.
    You may yet be able to do it from your MacBook Air.
    Christian

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest & Iconoclast interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D-10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables

Yes, the N-01 does appear as an audio output device on the MacBook Air. But when I select N-01 from the drop-down list the input source on the N-01 changes to network.

I can't Airplay from a MacBook Air to N-01
    I tested Mac OS High Sierra system sound routed to AirPlay to N-05 - it's working as expected.

It works on the MacBook differently to how it works on the iPad. I can have Spotify running on iPad and Airplay it directly to N-01. On the MacBook the Airplay icon at the top of the screen does not route to the N-01. Instead you need to open SystemPreferences>Sound and choose N-01 as the output device.

There is a new firmware download 11.1b available for N-01.

Something got broken somewhere because I can't play Tidal to the N-01 from the Soundstream App. I can play non-Tidal stuff via Soundstream, so the App is connecting to the device.

Again I tested it to be working on N-05.

Log out Tidal from all other devices.

Reenter your login info to the app when controlling N-01.

I can navigate the Tidal interface within Soundstream App, put I can't play anything. When I go to play a song in Tidal there is no playback indication at all in the GUI, and no sound from N-01. Streaming from local shares does work in Soundstream.

Did you see that latest Esoteric product announcements at Tokyo show? New model P1X with new VRDS-ATLAS mechanism, new D1X mono-DACs.

Did you see that latest Esoteric product announcements at Tokyo show? New model P1X with new VRDS-ATLAS mechanism, new D1X mono-DACs.
    I only learned about that from another forum.

Yeah, I predicted it was coming, but my local distributor swore black and blue that the next update was still a year away for P1 and D1. He recommended I buy P02X over P1. That was 2 days ago.

Soundstream is now showing me this message:

"requested quality is not allowed in users subscription"

My initial subscription, which was extended, was for the highest resolution available.

Please clear the Tidal login info in the app and reenter it.

Please make sure you're subscribed to Tidal HiFi, not Tidal Premium.

As a last resort, do a network board reset (clear setting) this way: power off the N-01. Hold the reset pin at the back. Power up the N-01, and keep holding the pin for 20 seconds.

brodricj

If you have already logged in and out of Tidal in the Soundstream app as Peter instructed and it still won't play the go into the desktop app on a PC or laptop and check your streaming settings. It has become fairly common lately that after an update is pushed in the desktop app it can drop your streaming preferences back to the Basic setting. A new update to the Tidal app was just pushed in the last couple of days.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I did that recent desktop update. If using Tidal desktop app as a control point is it possible to use N-01 as the network music renderer? I've only used Tidal to N-01 using the Soundstream.

It doesn't effect you using it through Soundstream or Mcontrol but the preferences set up in the desktop app are carried through to every other app so you need to make sure they are correct in the desktop app and like Peter said I would log out of Tidal in all three if they are all active and then log back in one at a time with the desktop app first and it should clear it up. This issue only started this year.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

If using Tidal desktop app as a control point is it possible to use N-01 as the network music renderer?
    You can use Tidal desktop app if you use N-01 as a USB DAC. I don't think that works if N-01 is connected to network only.

+1

I was in Singapore yesterday. The number you heard in Singapore is probably correct....WAY lower than numbers mentioned by our US friends, it is hard to believe. But believe it, because I bought one.
    can these be used in the US ? we are on 120v 60hz

I was in Singapore yesterday. The number you heard in Singapore is probably correct....WAY lower than numbers mentioned by our US friends, it is hard to believe. But believe it, because I bought one.
    May I know the name of the dealer in Singapore?

Thanks,

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by fatears View Post
    can these be used in the US ? we are on 120v 60hz
    Quote Originally Posted by fatears View Post
    May I know the name of the dealer in Singapore?

Thanks,

NAD C 658 streamer.

Now that the N01XD version is coming out, I'm seeing 2 of these N01 in resale markets here in HKG. Are these still worth investing? I'm trying to find an alternative to my aging Aurender S10 which is giving me playback issues.

The N01 would likely be a better unit than my K05x used as a DAC but will it be a big upgrade in sonics? I'm guessing the N01 would have similar Esoteric house sound when compared to the K05X but have read the newer sound (from XS series) are more musical... Anyone here have heard the differences of these units to comment? Many thanks for your advise.
    dCS Bartok with clock, Esoteric K05x, G-02x, D’Agostino Momentum Stereo, TAD ME-1
    Acrolink Mexcel, Cardas Beyond XL, Shunyata Everest & Denali 2000T
    SOtM sNH10G extreme x2 clocked, Tripoint Troy, ISO Acoustic

For legacy N-01 owners I noticed 14.1k NET firmware update is available.
    Speakers: Magico M3, ACC, S-SUB | Electronics: Esoteric Grandioso stack | Amplification: Halcro |
    Analog cables: Crystal Cable | Digital cables: Shunyata Sigma | Rack: YG Acoustics Rack 1.8
    | Source: Kaleidescape Premiere (4 x 6TB) | Power: Shunyata Typhon-QR, Everest and Denali

Hoping esoteric experts might chime in. My 4 yr old N01 has been flawless in playing tidal and my 5 tb high res files on usb attachtached until yesterday. At first, I could only see the usb disk thru my iPad sound stream app on the network. No esoteric music player. Then after about 20 min, it came back. The next day, neither was visible on iPad soundstream, but it does see my win4500 home network folder. I have swapped out the network extender and it isn’t that. I am getting a green blinking light in the network cable port on the back of the n01. Just no nO1 showing up on the soundstream app. Could this be a hardware issue in the esoteric with the network board?
    Avantgarde Duo Mezzo,
    Nagra VPA 845 mono blocks, Audio Note UK Shinri 300B mono blocks, AudioPax KT88 monoblocks
    Conrad Johnson GAT, Zesto Tessera
    Esoteric K-01X, Esoteric N-01,

Clearaudio Innovation TT,
    Graham Phantom 2 Supreme Arm/Ortofon Anna, Bobs Sky 2 SUT
    Clearaudio Universal Arm/Benz LPS
    Minus K isolation platform

Galibier TT,
    Graham Phantom Elite Arm/Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement,

Kubala Elation Cabling, Shunyata Trident 3, Typhon QR
    Zoethecus stands,

N-01 behaves this way if another device on the network shares the same local IP.
    Use a network discovery tool such as Fing, scan the network, and check if another device has the same IP as the N-01.
    Speakers: Magico M3, ACC, S-SUB | Electronics: Esoteric Grandioso stack | Amplification: Halcro |
    Analog cables: Crystal Cable | Digital cables: Shunyata Sigma | Rack: YG Acoustics Rack 1.8
    | Source: Kaleidescape Premiere (4 x 6TB) | Power: Shunyata Typhon-QR, Everest and Denali

Quote Originally Posted by mallen123 View Post
    Hoping esoteric experts might chime in. My 4 yr old N01 has been flawless in playing tidal and my 5 tb high res files on usb attachtached until yesterday. At first, I could only see the usb disk thru my iPad sound stream app on the network. No esoteric music player. Then after about 20 min, it came back. The next day, neither was visible on iPad soundstream, but it does see my win4500 home network folder. I have swapped out the network extender and it isn’t that. I am getting a green blinking light in the network cable port on the back of the n01. Just no nO1 showing up on the soundstream app. Could this be a hardware issue in the esoteric with the network board?
    Power off all the devices on the network, including all mobile devices and network connected appliances.

Power cycle the network router. Then gradually power on every piece of device.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

N-01 behaves this way if another device on the network shares the same local IP.
    Use a network discovery tool such as Fing, scan the network, and check if another device has the same IP as the N-01.
    Thanks - tried Fing (cool tool btw) and there isnt any other device with the same IP address.
    Avantgarde Duo Mezzo,
    Nagra VPA 845 mono blocks, Audio Note UK Shinri 300B mono blocks, AudioPax KT88 monoblocks

Galibier TT,

Zoethecus stands,

thanks Peter
    I did try power cycling the N01, network router and the iPad with no luck. i didnt turn off all the other devices, so I will try that tomorrow.
    Avantgarde Duo Mezzo,

Galibier TT,

Zoethecus stands,

Hi Peter,
    i powered off everything and still have the issue with Sound Stream on IPad not seeing my N01. I then downloaded Sound Stream onto my Android phone and was able to connect and control the N01. So I assumed SS app on my IPad might need reloading. I deleted it from my IPad and downloaded a new version and I am still having the same issue. I have an IPad7, 14.8.1 . Have u heard of any SS issues with this version? Or is my next step resetting the network card on the N01?
    Avantgarde Duo Mezzo,

Galibier TT,

Zoethecus stands,

Esoteric Soundstream is compatible with iOS 9.0 and later.
    Is the iPad connecting to the wifi network you are expecting?

Quote Originally Posted by mallen123 View Post
    Thanks - tried Fing (cool tool btw) and there isnt any other device with the same IP address.
    In Fing>Devices does the N-01 appear in the device list?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Esoteric N-01