Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T+a dac8

Re: T+a dac8

Very nice looking pieces! Got to love T+A!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    I saw these announced in Belgium also earlier this week.
    Steep prices (24,900€ for the SDV 3100) but if the pre-amp module is good, you save a lot of money of course.
    Hello Bart,

Is that price quote correct? I hope not - that would make it more expensive than the PDP 3100 HV SACD player which includes a DAC.

Quote Originally Posted by soastrup View Post
    Hello Bart,

Is that price quote correct? I hope not - that would make it more expensive than the PDP 3100 HV SACD player which includes a DAC.
    I bet it sounds awesome
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Holy Crap... does HQPlayer even go up to DSD1024 ....
    Randy according to its designer, Jussi said " Yes, it's been supported for a while already, but only recently devices have appeared that also support it. This device is "a little bit outside of my budget", but I've been testing DSD1024 on Holo Spring 2 DAC.

It takes about twice as much power as DSD512. With -2s filters and/or with help of recent GPUs it is not too hard to reach though. I've done most of my testing and measurements with poly-sinc-ext2. "
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Holy Crap... does HQPlayer even go up to DSD1024 ....
    I get the part about converting an analog master to the highest resolution possible, i.e. for example DSD 128 or 256 in this case, and get better sound. But I am just not convinced that converting DSD 128 to DSD 1024 will get you any meaningfull additional quality, never mind the fact that you have to play via a laptop. The commercially available files does not go higher than DSD 256 as far as I am aware.

So I wonder if this is simply a numbers game and an arms race. But yeah, based on the sound from the DAC 8 DSD and the PDP 3000 HV I bet it sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by soastrup View Post
    I get the part about converting an analog master to the highest resolution possible, i.e. for example DSD 128 or 256 in this case, and get better sound. But I am just not convinced that converting DSD 128 to DSD 1024 will get you any meaningfull additional quality, never mind the fact that you have to play via a laptop. The commercially available files does not go higher than DSD 256 as far as I am aware.

So I wonder if this is simply a numbers game and an arms race. But yeah, based on the sound from the DAC 8 DSD and the PDP 3000 HV I bet it sounds great!
    That's my suspicion as well. Even if there are consumer-marketed files beyond DSD 256, how many are there and, more importantly (to me at least), how many are of music I want to listen to?
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

The EMM Labs DA2 internally upsamples to DSD1024 so there must be some merit to these high rates; heck the Chord Dave upsamples to 5bit 104MHz and the Mola-Mola Tambaqui to 1bit 100MHz (much higher than DSD1024 which is 1bit 44.8MHz).

There might not be any "music" available at 512 but the upsampling of the DACS that can do sure pleases a lot of users. Who knows about 1024, yet

The highest that I have downloaded is DSD256, but I love up sampling to DSD512/48. I can only imagine their new converter at DSC1024...

I still buy the highest I can. To me, the better in the better out. The T+A is pretty amazing!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

And the crazy thing is Jon is not a DSD fan, yet he still gave the DAC 8 DSD his top rating!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

And the crazy thing is Jon is not a DSD fan, yet he still gave the DAC 8 DSD his top rating!
    Maybe he's enjoying DSD now? The DAC8 DSD upsampled to 512 is superb! T+A handles DSD in such a unique manner.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Hehe... no... I have been to his house several times (he is a member of our audio club). The music server he uses does not even have DSD capability ....

I love what the DAC 8 DSD does at DSD512/48. I cannot imagine listening to straight PCM music again at this point . I agree the T+A is simply amazing.

I am shocked that T+A has not gained the reputation in the US yet and gained a huge market share. Such an amazing company that most Americans are unaware of ....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Hehe... no... I have been to his house several times (he is a member of our audio club). The music server he uses does not even have DSD capability ....

I love what the DAC 8 DSD does at DSD512/48. I cannot imagine listening to straight PCM music again at this point . I agree the T+A is simply amazing.

I am shocked that T+A has not gained the reputation in the US yet and gained a huge market share. Such an amazing company that most Americans are unaware of ....
    Totally agree. The T+A PDP3000HV mops the floor with any Esoteric I had. But, it doesn’t get the love on this side of the pond. Check out Hi-Fi News or HiFi+ and you will see their products kicking ass and taking names almost monthly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

recently began sending dsd128 [max dsd rate with non-windows OS] to the t+a dac 8 dsd... whoa!! simply amazing and blows pcm away -- which i think is more than excellent on this dac as well. cannot even imagine dsd256 or dsd512 on this dac. must be incredible.

i should probably by a 2nd unit just to keep in the closet as a back-up ;-)
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    recently began sending dsd128 [max dsd rate with non-windows OS] to the t+a dac 8 dsd... whoa!! simply amazing and blows pcm away -- which i think is more than excellent on this dac as well. cannot even imagine dsd256 or dsd512 on this dac. must be incredible.

i should probably by a 2nd unit just to keep in the closet as a back-up ;-)
    Well T+A claims their units are designed to last not just years, but decades... but, I know Marty is selling one ....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

audiophilia review of the dac8 dsd...

https://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/...rter?rq=%20dac
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

I have used the T+A with headphones and it has always done a very good job. Well today I received my Abyss cans and I am blown away at how good of a headphone amp the DAC 8 DSD is! I have been looking at headphone amps but not sure I need one with the T+A.

The DAC 8 DSD has surprised me once again!

Maybe if I decide to go with a balanced amp I might look in that direction, but for now T+A impresses again!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

The T+A really does a great job with headphones, however I might be getting my Bryston back from my friend. He is a bachelor and has his own house with two very nice setups. He is also a vinylphile with about 5000 albums. He simply does not use this wonderful headphone amp, and I have a real use for headphones. With my wonderful wife cooped up in our house for the foreseeable future I am using headphones more trying to be considerate of her.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

i have been and still am a very happy t+a dac8 dsd owner. it is connected via usb to my transport running roon ROCK which utilizes roonOS, a linux based operating system.

however, out of the box the t+a dac8 dsd is only capable of playing native dsd256 and dsd512 from a computer/server/transport having a windows OS with a custom driver downloaded from t+a. linux users are limited to dsd128 via DoP.

this has been a source of immense frustration that i have mentioned more than a few times here including this:

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    all i am asking for is a little usb love for linux (roon OS) users
    well... love has been delivered !!

there is now a firmware update available for the amanero usb receiver that is used on the t+a dac8 dsd that enables linux (but not mac) users to play dsd256 and dsd512.

upon hearing this, i contacted t+a support who were EXTREMELY helpful in walking me through the update process and then troubleshooting an installation issue that was 100% pilot error on my part... cannot say enough good things about my experience with t+a technical support.

with the update installed, the dac8 dsd usb receiver is functioning flawlessly and i am now able to play dsd256 and dsd512 natively. i suppose i was expecting a modest bump in SQ from this; however, it turned out to be a quite noticeable improvement -- especially, for well recorded titles.

IMG_7332 (1).jpg

notes:

> this update is only useful to linux OS (roonOS) users.

> go figure, but this update can only be performed from a windows PC -- this is an amanero thing not a t+a thing -- which ultimately saw me walking into a nearby Best Buy with hat-in-hand and the dac under my arm. the staff there was kind enough to let me use a PC to do the update and 10 minutes later i was walking out with updated usb receiver firmware and a huge smile.

> more info here

Super Moderator

Congratulations! That’s great. Nice to see some updates coming long after the purchase.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Congratulations! That’s great. Nice to see some updates coming long after the purchase.
    great experience with t+a -- the amanero usb receiver firmware was something out of their control. however, when anamero finally issued the new firmware version t+a jumped all over it to help those dac8 dsd owners who were interested.

...this has now got me mildly interested in the t+a sd 3100hv -- certainly not cheap, but i understand it is less expensive per kilogram than the dac8 dsd.

So is there an update for all T+A DAC 8 DSD users? I am not going to change from Windows OS but would love to see DSD512 displayed versus 24M6 .... When I checked a year of two ago I was told I had to send it to their service provider in Georgia to get the update down (didn't want to do that).

If they have an update that end users can apply I would be all over it!

Oh, and gratz about being able to get DSD512!!!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

So is there an update for all T+A DAC 8 DSD users? I am not going to change from Windows OS but would love to see DSD512 displayed versus 24M6.

If they have an update that end users can apply I would be all over it!
    thanks randy -- i suppose it was worth the wait !!

this update is only to the usb receiver firmware.

to get the option to display DSDxxx requires an update to the firmware of the DAC itself. there is a way for computer-experienced end users to make that update... but there is some small risk of bricking the dac and having to send it in anyway. caution and proceed at your own risk: documentation here

Ok, not worth the risk and the effort when my DAC works so amazingly well.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

the new dac 200 looks to be the replacement for the dac8 dsd. it adds increased bit rate (dsd 1052) and a pre-amp otherwise looks pretty similar in terms of functionality. price is reportedly ~$7

DAC 200 D/A Converter

i like the aesthetics of the dac 200 ...and, i must say the brochure photo of the new series 200 has me interested in moving my listening room to one with a similar view -- looks to be badia.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

T+a dac8