Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Vitus SS-103 and YG Hailey

Am hoping to get a demo of this set-up in the next few weeks. Any thoughts ahead of time welcome. I'll obviously report back my findings.

Re: Vitus SS-103 and YG Hailey

The latest YG's have a smoother tweeter, though they still need a warm, smooth tube-like ss or tubed amp to bring out their best imho. I heard the Sonja 1.2's with a Vitus SS-102 & CH Precision D1/C1 front end back in 2013. That was the first amp I've heard tame the YG's tendency to sound a bit bright and 'metallic' with the wrong amps. I think a Vitus MP-D201/MP-T201 would have had even better synergy, but that's another story.

I have heard the Hailey with Luxman m900u, Burmester 909, 911mk3, Boulder 2160, Plinius, Viola Symphony, Nagra Classic. I have heard the Kipod IIs with Vitus SIA 25 and Berning Quadratures.

Being a fan of Vitus 102 though not having heard on YG, the 103 into Hailey should be fantastic. Of the other amps, I liked Luxman and Boulder, also Berning, and would like to hear it with a Dagostino.

I agree, the Vitus should be great on the YGs!

Now attention to the sources and cables. No Nordost, or similar silver-based cabling.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    I have heard the Hailey with Luxman m900u, Burmester 909, 911mk3, Boulder 2160, Plinius, Viola Symphony, Nagra Classic. I have heard the Kipod IIs with Vitus SIA 25 and Berning Quadratures.

Being a fan of Vitus 102 though not having heard on YG, the 103 into Hailey should be fantastic. Of the other amps, I liked Luxman and Boulder, also Berning, and would like to hear it with a Dagostino.
    I exchanged emails with Roy Gregory on suitable speakers for the Quadratures and his feeling was the likes of YG, Magico etc require more power. He suggested Focal / Vandersteen / Wilson Benesch / Stenheim. Whilst D'Agostino would have plenty of power, they would be too lean for my tastes. Bring on the Vitus!

heihei,

Nothing wrong with going with the Vitus for its warmth, but the D'Agostino is *definitely* not lean on the YGs. I know because I'm listening to just such pairing right now

If you have your mind on the Krells of old, please give the new D'Agostino stuff a chance. It's very, very far from even the last couple of Krells that Dan did.

cheers,
    alex

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    heihei,

Nothing wrong with going with the Vitus for its warmth, but the D'Agostino is *definitely* not lean on the YGs. I know because I'm listening to just such pairing right now

If you have your mind on the Krells of old, please give the new D'Agostino stuff a chance. It's very, very far from even the last couple of Krells that Dan did.

cheers,
    alex
    Perhaps "lean" is the wrong word, but having heard them back-to-back with Vitus with a pair of Wilsons, and again at Munich with Wilsons, it's not a sound I emotionally engage with. In both cases I suspect this wasn't helped by partnering with a dCS front end.

Quote Originally Posted by heihei View Post
    Perhaps "lean" is the wrong word, but having heard them back-to-back with Vitus with a pair of Wilsons, and again at Munich with Wilsons, it's not a sound I emotionally engage with. In both cases I suspect this wasn't helped by partnering with a dCS front end.
    Ah, OK. That I do understand You didn't "connect", which is all too common actually, but it seems to me it was with the system as a whole.
    I find the D'Agostinos very easy to like, very involving, at least on the YGs, which I'm more familiar with. All that power on tap really does help bring a sense of realism to the music. With a preamp like the ARC REF 6, things get even more immersive, with a truly walk-in soundstage!

cheers,
    alex

Quote Originally Posted by heihei View Post
    I exchanged emails with Roy Gregory on suitable speakers for the Quadratures and his feeling was the likes of YG, Magico etc require more power. He suggested Focal / Vandersteen / Wilson Benesch / Stenheim. Whilst D'Agostino would have plenty of power, they would be too lean for my tastes. Bring on the Vitus!
    The Dags are not lean at all. They are not as dense as Vitus, but are quite liquid, and quicker. But they are both different sounds, as is Boulder. So if you heard them next to each other, yes, it is a matter of taste and both are great amps. Didn't realize you were in Guildford, please let me know when you get your amps, would love to come over and listen one day when they settle in. I am in central London.

Oh are you Adam? I am Kedar btw.

Ha ha yes - had realized based on postings! Will let you know when I have something sorted.

Re: D'Ags - my approach has been to give things a second chance, but having done so with both D'Ags and Dartzeel, I recognize they are not for me. It's also true that there is a lot of good kit out there and the short list needs to be short!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Vitus SS-103 and YG Hailey