Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Concert Fidelity CF-080 LSX2 Hybrid Line Stage Preamplifier?

Any opinion on this preamp and brand? Any reviews that I've read have been spectacular.

http://www.concertfidelity.jp/reference_series.html

Attached Images Attached Images
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Concert Fidelity CF-080 LSX2 Hybrid Line Stage Preamplifier?

Joe - I've also only heard raves about the sonic performance of Concert Fidelity gear and it appears to be nicely built. However one word of caution would be regarding their resale value which is unusually low. I've seen their products listed on the usual sites for used gear, and they're repeatedly re-listed at unbelievably low prices and they still rarely seem to sell. That could be an issue unless you're certain you'll be keeping it for a while (no offense but I had to chuckle at that knowing you! ) If you're not averse to buying used gear you should be able to buy it strong and then not be concerned about a significant loss in resale value.

Nice looking. Wouldn't it sound better tho if they dropped a tube in the empty socket?
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Super Moderator

Ha! I know.

I was looking around and saw some of the past for sale ads. I do like active preamps but am looking around to really see what is available.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

There's a couple sticking out of the back too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    Nice looking. Wouldn't it sound better tho if they dropped a tube in the empty socket?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Ah, you can roll without opening the box, not a bad idea.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

True about the resale. I have helped to sell demo Concert Fidelity CF-080 LSX2, phono and those big monos, and sold it eventually for 1/3 of retail. I can only imagine a few years old, S/H stuff is worth even less. But if you buy at a very discounted price (meaning someone else took the hit) ... why not.

The monos were sh!t, but the preamp and phono were rather good.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Super Moderator

I feel terrible that resale is awful. Not for me, but owners and even the company. For some reason, some gear never really takes off and maintains a healthy status going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    True about the resale. I have helped to sell demo Concert Fidelity CF-080 LSX2, phono and those big monos, and sold it eventually for 1/3 of retail. I can only imagine a few years old, S/H stuff is worth even less. But if you buy at a very discounted price (meaning someone else took the hit) ... why not.

The monos were sh!t, but the preamp and phono were rather good.

NAD C 658 streamer.

hi joe, i have a concert fidelity cf-080 ls and it sounds great. i traded my cary slp-05 for it and it was a better match with my hegel h30 and sounded a lot smoother but still dynamic. it was used and i'm not planning on selling it so resale isn't a big deal for me. the rest of my system consists of linn lp 12, linn radikal p.s.,linn uphorik phono stage, hegel h30 amp and gamut L7 speakers. the cf-080 was the missing piece that brought my system to the next level. john

Super Moderator

Hi John,

Thank you so much. I am so glad you are happy with it. I have a friend who wants to lend me his to try. I am seriously thinking of taking him up on the offer. I am curious how well it will go with my Triode Corp 845 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by johni b View Post
    hi joe, i have a concert fidelity cf-080 ls and it sounds great. i traded my cary slp-05 for it and it was a better match with my hegel h30 and sounded a lot smoother but still dynamic. it was used and i'm not planning on selling it so resale isn't a big deal for me. the rest of my system consists of linn lp 12, linn radikal p.s.,linn uphorik phono stage, hegel h30 amp and gamut L7 speakers. the cf-080 was the missing piece that brought my system to the next level. john

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

At the 6 db setting in theory it should be a match.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Awesome.

XLR to RCA adapters came today, I'll give them a try tonight on the Ayre and let you know how it sounds on the Triodes. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Joe

At the 6 db setting in theory it should be a match.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Sounds good. Also good luck resolving the "clicking" issue with the other piece. Hopefully just the two particular pieces together or break-in of the resistors in the control.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

So far, after only a few minutes, the KXR20 is working beautifully with the adapters. Dead silent on its own and no clicking other than the usual internal relays of the preamp. Very happy. The other piece is definitely quirky.

Sounds good. Also good luck resolving the "clicking" issue with the other piece. Hopefully just the two particular pieces together or break-in of the resistors in the control.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Another swap out on it? Though no problems if the BHK is run balanced with the Ayre mono's or when the Triode's were connected with the faux balanced connection?

Super Moderator

I'll still need to try a few more combos to try and narrow down the issues.

Another swap out on it? Though no problems if the BHK is run balanced with the Ayre mono's or when the Triode's were connected with the faux balanced connection?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Good luck and take notes. Though maybe a happy compromise is then you will have two systems that are tube/SS combo's which I have found can be a good thing. That is if the BHK and Ayre combo works. If you are a member you might want to start a thread on the PS forum and see if anybody else has run into the same issue. Chances are at some point Bascom or Paul will chime in.

Super Moderator
    Last edited by joeinid; June 8, 2017 at 01:31 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I'm surprised the preamp already costs $24k in retail. There was one recently listed on Agon for $4k:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/tu...42-meridian-id
    Adam

Super Moderator

That's insane.

NAD C 658 streamer.

At $4k, I think it is a good buy.

I have sold the Concert Fidelity SPA4C MC ($14k in retail) for $3300. And that was a mint demo. Someone got a sweet deal.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    That's insane.
    I agree, and that's exactly why I previously mentioned it as a major consideration if buying new!

So far, after only a few minutes, the KXR20 is working beautifully with the adapters. Dead silent on its own and no clicking other than the usual internal relays of the preamp. Very happy. The other piece is definitely quirky.
    Joe, you've got the KXR20? Wow.

Super Moderator

Absolutely love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Joe, you've got the KXR20? Wow.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Absolutely love it.
    I bet. Congrats, Joe. It's a destination preamp.

Super Moderator

Thank you so much. It really is a destination.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    I bet. Congrats, Joe. It's a destination preamp.

NAD C 658 streamer.

hi joe, just wondering if you gave the concert fidelity cf-080 lsx2 a listening to? if you did i would like to hear your thought on how it sounded to you and how it compared to other preamp you have listened to. i really like mine but i have only compared it to a couple of preamps. thanks, john.

Super Moderator

Hi John,

I have not. I plan on talking to another friend next week re: the preamp. What really bothers me is how low the value drops after purchase. As much as I promise myself that I plan on keeping something, for no other reason than wanting to try something else, I move on. So unless I find a used one, the new investment will be a deal killer.

Between my KXR-20 and PS Audio BHK preamp, I am all set really. The Ayre is superb and the BHK outstanding. So much gear swimming through my head.

hi joe, just wondering if you gave the concert fidelity cf-080 lsx2 a listening to? if you did i would like to hear your thought on how it sounded to you and how it compared to other preamp you have listened to. i really like mine but i have only compared it to a couple of preamps. thanks, john.
    Last edited by joeinid; June 17, 2017 at 12:10 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

i agree joe, i would never buy one new it just sounded like you were borrowing one for a listen. if you are ever in niagara falls canada you are welcome to come by my place and listen to mine. john

Super Moderator

Thank you so much.

Actually, I am still thinking about trying one. I am afraid that if I get hooked, I'll be in trouble.

i agree joe, i would never buy one new it just sounded like you were borrowing one for a listen. if you are ever in niagara falls canada you are welcome to come by my place and listen to mine. john

NAD C 658 streamer.

I have had my CF-080LX for over 6 years. The only thing I have changed are the tubes for rolling.
    Venture Audio Grand Ultimate in Macassar Ebony, Thrax Dionysos pre, Thrax Tres mono's, Magnus MA-300 w/ MA-500 power supply, Stealth digital RCA, Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's, Prana Wire Cosmos sp. cables, LG 65" OLED, ModWright modified Oppo 103D(transport), Reference Line Stage power conditioner, SME 20-2w/ Graham 2.2 tonearm, Ortofon Windfeld, Canary Audio MC10, PranaWire Linebacker, Luxman D-08 cd/sacd/dac.

There are no real specifications from the link you posted, but I assume this preamp inverts phase. Also, I'm not personally wild about having a pair of tubes sticking out the backside of my preamp/line stage. Plenty of air inside the box, but I assume the main circuit board is mounted on the back of the preamp chassis and they chose to mount the line stage tubes out the back of the preamp. I don't know if this was a gimmick or a necessity. The internal tube is mounted on the power supply board and it is a rectifier tube.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

No gimmick for tube location. Shortest path is sometimes the best.
    Venture Audio Grand Ultimate in Macassar Ebony, Thrax Dionysos pre, Thrax Tres mono's, Magnus MA-300 w/ MA-500 power supply, Stealth digital RCA, Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's, Prana Wire Cosmos sp. cables, LG 65" OLED, ModWright modified Oppo 103D(transport), Reference Line Stage power conditioner, SME 20-2w/ Graham 2.2 tonearm, Ortofon Windfeld, Canary Audio MC10, PranaWire Linebacker, Luxman D-08 cd/sacd/dac.

Joe- Did you ever try the preamp from CF and if so what did you think??
    Mcintosh C1000 pre
    Mcintosh 601 amps
    Mcintosh MDA 1000 DAC
    MCintosh MT-10 Turntable
    MCT 450 Transport
    Dunlavy V- Speakers

Super Moderator

I never did try the CF preamp. What scared me a little was seeing the high retail price and then seeing them sell at ridiculously low prices on the used market. I was never able to get one quickly enough before they sold, and I wasn’t keen on paying retail so I gave up.

i have a few great preamps now that I love. My fever has broken

I have no doubt that the CF is awesome and am sorry I missed a few great opportunities.

NAD C 658 streamer.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Concert Fidelity CF-080 LSX2 Hybrid Line Stage Preamplifier?