Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: LA Audio Show - pics and thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Thank you for the update.

Would be nice to get a view based on music that allows to distinguish some audiophile characteristics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Magico room was somewhat busy today....Will see if I can spend some time tomorrow and if they are willing to play some of my music.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Thoughts on the YG with ARC and D'Agostino?

I've only heard them with Audionet or MSB. Preferred the MSB - YG combo.
    YG / MSB combo sounded the best of all the YG rooms. I was surprised that the Audionet room was a meh...

Quote Originally Posted by PureVinyl View Post
    anyone heard the Tekton Double Impact Speakers in Room 533
    I was planning it today but somehow when I arrived at 533, the room was locked. I will try tomorrow if I get a chance.

One interesting observation - a ton of rooms in this show are using the Audioquest Niagara 7000. Did anybody notice it in other shows as well ?

Thanks for the pictures and comments. Looks like it's been a very nice show.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    One interesting observation - a ton of rooms in this show are using the Audioquest Niagara 7000. Did anybody notice it in other shows as well ?
    Yes. Same as at Munich.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Audioshark

Thanks for all the great pics and commentary!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Any thoughts on the new Verity preamp and amp in the Verity / High Fidelity Services room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pics , Wilson Audio really nailed the aesthetics, nice looking setups ....

Quote Originally Posted by tunes View Post
    Any thoughts on the new Verity preamp and amp in the Verity / High Fidelity Services room?

To be honest, the price and the sound of the Verity preamp/amp did not float my bloat. It was detailed but uninvolving. Not sure if it was a setup issue (which IMO, many many rooms had).

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Thanks for the pics , Wilson Audio really nailed the aesthetics, nice looking setups ....
    Yes, they had good aesthetics, sounded good as well (if not the best). Out of all the Wilson rooms, the ARC and small Wilson (forgot the name but I posted the picture earlier) sounded and best and had a coherent sound.

Another observation - many rooms did a long wall setup. Not sure if that was strategic or was easier to setup.

Yes, they had good aesthetics, sounded good as well (if not the best). Out of all the Wilson rooms, the ARC and small Wilson (forgot the name but I posted the picture earlier) sounded and best and had a coherent sound.
    The small Wilson was probably the Sabrina.

Quote Originally Posted by tunes View Post

unfortunately it wasn't Verity's finest hour, the speakers were up against the wall and staging had little cohesion or specificity. The more successful rooms brought the speakers out into their space. the Verity designers were present, they musta thought otherwise...

The Carmels on full ARC tubes was my favorite YG setup.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

This system looks identical to mine right down to the color. No turntable or phonostage for me though. I'm a digital guy.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Great photos....Thanks for sharing! Hoping to hear some impressions on the Vivids as well as the Dartzeel/Evolution setup.

TD

Quote Originally Posted by tdimler View Post
    Great photos....Thanks for sharing! Hoping to hear some impressions on the Vivids as well as the Dartzeel/Evolution setup.

TD
    They were both excellent - in my top 5 rooms with Vandy for sure.

For lower priced gear, Pranafidelity and Zu really rocked it.

I also enjoyed Magico on Jadis and YG on ARC - go figure as they aren't shown with tubes often!

The Tidal room was nice, but gosh if I didn't feel the price tag wasn't commensurate with the performance.

Can't say I heard any horns or panels that I enjoyed.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    The Carmels on full ARC tubes was my favorite YG setup.
    I agree. They worked much better with the smallish room than the big YG's next door.
    Roon NUC, Lumin X1 & L1, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-R Twenty, Sonus Faber Olympica III, RAAL SR1a & HSA-1b
    Audience Au24-SX interconnects & Zenwave SSR-11 speaker cables, Sablon Gran Corona & Zenwave PSR-11 power cords. Shunyata Everest 8000.
    Adona Zero GXT, SRA, Symposium, & Stillpoints isolation
    , RPG, ASC, & Real Traps room treatment

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    Devg.......Nice photos. Thanks for sharing them with us.

What Esoteric models are these two components?

P-03

Attached Images Attached Images

Day 3

$900 system (Elac speakers + Emotiva integrated) and sounded great for the price

That's about it. I have some videos taken as well in some rooms where they played my music on my request. Will post them when I get a chance to process.

Thank you for the update.

Would be nice to get a view based on music that allows to distinguish some audiophile characteristics.

The Magico room (S3 MkII) sounded great today. Effortless playback and very smooth. They couldn't play my CD (they didn't had a CD player), neither they had the recording in their collection (Remembrance - John Patitucci) but I listened to couple of LPs and digital. I requested Muddy Waters folk singer album and it sounded great but there were issues with the bass.

Quote Originally Posted by tdimler View Post

TD
    The Vivids were are the best room I heard on Day 2. Huge soundstage and very lively, yet a little laid back. You could listen to this system for hours without any fatigue.

I only heard the Evolution/Dartzeel on Day 1 but it sounded a bit hifi to me. I haven't returned, so I don't know if it improved later.

LA Audio Show - pics and thoughts

The Magico room (S3 MkII) sounded great today. Effortless playback and very smooth. They couldn't play my CD (they didn't had a CD player), neither they had the recording in their collection (Remembrance - John Patitucci) but I listened to couple of LPs and digital. I requested Muddy Waters folk singer album and it sounded great but there were issues with the bass.
    Devg, thank you for your detailed observations and for sharing. Great pictures also.

Are you able to elaborate more on the issue regarding the bass in the Magico room?

“Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

YG / MSB combo sounded the best of all the YG rooms. I was surprised that the Audionet room was a meh...
    When I posted the above comment, I haven't heard the YGs on the 5th floor. After hearing it today (Day 3), I think the YG/D'Agostino is the best YG setup I have heard in this show.

Devg, thank you for your detailed observations and for sharing. Great pictures also.

Are you able to elaborate more on the issue regarding the bass in the Magico room?

The room had a single row very close to the back wall. I find it strange that the bass was very localized. When I sat in the middle, the bass was ok but wasn't deep. If I sat on either side of the middle position, the bass lost its anchor. If I stood behind the row closer to the back wall, the bass was deep but muddy. For companies like Magico, I am not sure why they skimp on getting bigger or proper rooms to showcase their speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by PureVinyl View Post
    anyone heard the Tekton Double Impact Speakers in Room 533
    The Tekton seems to have a great potential but its possible that the electronics used couldn't make it shine. They lacked some bit of dynamics as well.

My top 3 rooms (and I was able to play my music)

1. Pranafidility
    2. Karma/Viola
    3. Vivids/Luxman

Out of all the rooms, I spent most of the time in Pranafidility and was amazed what the small monitors are capable of. In a small room, they played some tunes crazy loud without any harshness or fatigue but at the same time very very revealing. We played jazz, vocals, classical, rock and every time it performed like a champ. the dynamics was just off the chats. I am yet to hear a speaker in a show which can perform equally in more than one genre. On my request, they setup the floor standers and it took everything that the monitors did and took it to the next level. The setup was played with Pranafidlity preamp/amp - the amp is based off Hypex nc1200. After hearing this setup, anyone would have more respect for class D amp

The Karma/Viola was fantastic as well - very lively, huge dynamics and played well to variety of tunes. The Vivids/Luxman sounded great as well - great soundstage, lively but just a tad laid back and could listen for longer duration without fatigue.

All in all, it was a good show - got to hear some great systems.

The room had a single row very close to the back wall. I find it strange that the bass was very localized. When I sat in the middle, the bass was ok but wasn't deep. If I sat on either side of the middle position, the bass lost its anchor. If I stood behind the row closer to the back wall, the bass was deep but muddy. For companies like Magico, I am not sure why they skimp on getting bigger or proper rooms to showcase their speakers.
    Excellent, many thanks for clarifying.

So, would you say it was a room or speaker issue?

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Excellent, many thanks for clarifying.

So, would you say it was a room or speaker issue?

Room. The Ayon/Luminwhite room had similar issues as well, though they sounded excellent in other departments.

Room. The Ayon/Luminwhite room had similar issues as well, though they sounded excellent in other departments.
    Super, thanks.

And again a big thank you for letting us on the other side of the world enjoy the LA Show through your eyes.

Sharks rock!

Devg, thank you very much for the effort.

Audioshark

Devg, terrific job, thank you so much! Great commentary from yourself and Keith and others.

Possibly the worst looking setup ever!

My top 3 rooms (and I was able to play my music)

1. Pranafidility
    2. Karma/Viola
    3. Vivids/Luxman

Out of all the rooms, I spent most of the time in Pranafidility and was amazed what the small monitors are capable of. In a small room, they played some tunes crazy loud without any harshness or fatigue but at the same time very very revealing. We played jazz, vocals, classical, rock and every time it performed like a champ. the dynamics was just off the chats. I am yet to hear a speaker in a show which can perform equally in more than one genre. On my request, they setup the floor standers and it took everything that the monitors did and took it to the next level. The setup was played with Pranafidlity preamp/amp - the amp is based off Hypex nc1200. After hearing this setup, anyone would have more respect for class D amp

The Karma/Viola was fantastic as well - very lively, huge dynamics and played well to variety of tunes. The Vivids/Luxman sounded great as well - great soundstage, lively but just a tad laid back and could listen for longer duration without fatigue.

All in all, it was a good show - got to hear some great systems.
    Steven Norber of PranaFidelity is a great guy and a lot of fun. He is always willing to play visitor's music. I always look forward to the PranaFidelity room because of Steven's energy and how good his system sounds--very musical and engaging. Steven has a good ear.

Great Job and Thanks for all the Photos!
    Last edited by PureVinyl; June 5, 2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: delete

The Tekton seems to have a great potential but its possible that the electronics used couldn't make it shine. They lacked some bit of dynamics as well.

Thanks for the update and a bit surprised on the dynamics with having two 10" bass drivers. could have been the electronics?

When I posted the above comment, I haven't heard the YGs on the 5th floor. After hearing it today (Day 3), I think the YG/D'Agostino is the best YG setup I have heard in this show.
    Thank you for the kind comments, Devg! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and your photos are excellent, BTW!

cheers,
    alex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

LA Audio Show - pics and thoughts