Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

How much hum should a Lafon hum if a Lafon could hum...wood?

With apologies for the bad pun, any experience with humming Lafons? Using the volume controls on the amps and pre-amp (Giscours) I can dial down the hum, but it is still present during quiet passages. And, to get to the "sweet spot" where everything clicks, there is more hum that I would like. Is this the nature of the GM70 tube? How silent can the Lafons be expected to operate? They are feeding Lafites using the 16ohm tap. Thoughts? Thanks!

Re: How much hum should a Lafon hum if a Lafon could hum...wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Hues View Post
    With apologies for the bad pun, any experience with humming Lafons? Using the volume controls on the amps and pre-amp (Giscours) I can dial down the hum, but it is still present during quiet passages. And, to get to the "sweet spot" where everything clicks, there is more hum that I would like. Is this the nature of the GM70 tube? How silent can the Lafons be expected to operate? They are feeding Lafites using the 16ohm tap. Thoughts? Thanks!
    I experienced minimal, but audible, hum through the speakers with my Lafon GM70. I basically did what you are doing and chalked it up to Shindo being Shindo. It did not really bother me from the listening area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Kev313...the fact that your experience mirrors mine gives me comfort. Just want to make sure everything is normal...they certainly sound great!

You should inspect if there are any old electrolytics leakage. Shindo used NOS parts and often the lifetime isnt the same as with modern parts. You could be lucky if they work flawlessly the whole lifetime but often they begin to leak and that leads to hum in the amps.

Is the hum about the same if you remove all the input cables and place shorting plugs on the inputs?
    You can make 2 shorting plugs from freebee RCA cable, Cut the cable to 2 stubs, then strip and twist the conductors.

Both my Cortese and Haut Brian were dead quiet - even on 96db or even more sensitive speakers. I assume you use Shindo ICs?

Hum is generally a sign of a bad tube or a bad ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Accuphase E800 and E600, DC37, C37, Devore O/96 and Graham LS5/9, DPS 3, Schroeder CB, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Restock View Post
    Both my Cortese and Haut Brian were dead quiet - even on 96db or even more sensitive speakers. I assume you use Shindo ICs?

Hum is generally a sign of a bad tube or a bad ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thats only true, if the rest of the amp works perfect. If the amp is faulty, it can have its causes everywhere. It can be a dead solder connection, it can be faulty components, bad resistors or caps, bad wiring etc.
    Its not as easy as described.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

How much hum should a Lafon hum if a Lafon could hum...wood?