paradigm 9h - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: paradigm 9h

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: paradigm 9h

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    I had the 7F at home (and owned S5 mk 2). unless the 9F is hugely better (which I doubt, as they only seem to differ in the bass) they are not in the same league. Not even close.

The S5 mk 2 are much smoother, sound much more natural and image better. The 7F sounded bright end edgy in comparison.
    agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, EMM Labs, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have listened to Rockport speakers for years. I've always liked them, just never loved them. I always found a disconnect between the midrange and tweeter. Something my ear didn't like. But that was just me.

That being said, one thing I noticed over the years were more with Rockport owners themselves. They would buy their new Rockports, love them and then, as if almost on queue, 4 months later, start flipping amps, DAC's, cables, etc. Now, one could say that's normal as we all love to try different things (guilty as charged here!), but I noticed this specific pattern with Rockport owners. Some even sold them and moved on.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why. Like I said, I always enjoyed Rockports. Heard them many times at shows and dealers, etc. There might have been that niggly trait, but nothing objectionable.

Then after more extensive listening at Axpona and Munich, it became clear as to why this might be happening: they're boring! They don't do anything wrong, but they're just, well, boring IMO. That may explain the rapid fire flipping of sources, amps and cables. Who knows?

Anyway, I don't want to offend anyone - especially Rockport owners. It's just my opinion and observation.
    Thanks for sharing your opinion, Mike.

In a forum such as this, ideally, no one should get offended as long as members are sharing their opinion, IMHO. After all, that's why these forums exist.

What can cause potential offense, I think, is if an opinion is cloaked as a fact.

Post Thanks / Like

Vandersteen fan warning....

I have heard the 9's many times now. I was one of the first in the US to audition when the first stop was at my local shop. I also heard them as bright and asked their US sales guy about that. He said he didn't hear that at all. I then heard them one many other occasions and they sounded the exact same regardless of the source/amps used. Just not my cup of tea.

If that is your list, I'd strongly recommend you listen to the Vandersteen 5CT's. You can have them in wood or painted in any color auto pain you desire and you can customize the grill a bit also if you want to. They will be as open and detailed as others on your list and less money. They have virtually no smearing due to the pistonic nature of their drivers and are time and phase correct. I have the Quatro's now and LOVE them. The adjustable bass on them is what has set them apart in my room. I"ve been told the room is in good shape, but I have a loss of bass problem. That bass eq has also freed up my amp and it sounds much better (was darn good before as it's an Ayre AX5/20). I know others will disagree with me, but I think Mike likes the sound of them a bit also and he's got a great ear for sound. As many know, I get around and listen to a lot of gear and I wasn't a Vandy fan until the last few years. If you can afford the 60k range, then I'd strongly recommend their 7 mk 2. That said, if you want the best bass you can get in your room, a pair of 5's with the new to be released 9 subs will smooth out bass in any room. Using a swarm of 4 or more subs (remember the Quatro on up have built in subs, so adding two more gives you 4) will allow you to smooth out 100hz down in most any room.

Just another thought for adding to the list. Good luck and keep us posted. Where do you live?

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I have to agree with you about the Rockports, boring. I heard them with VTL-MB 450 monoblocks and A Vitus preamp and was underwhelmed. I thought my system sounded much better.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Other systems- Parasound A21 amp,Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid tube DAC and Preamp, Magnepan MMG's, Monitor Audio S1's, PSB B6's, Def Tech Pro Monitor 1000's, Velodyne sub, Adcom GFR-700 AVR, Music Hall 25.2 modified CDP, Cables by Cardas Parsec, AQ Columbia DBS 72v, Wire World.

5. Thanks Mike thanked for this post
    Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I like Rockports. A friend of mine owns Rockport Atria (the small floorstander), and they sound quite amazing. Rockports (with Absolare) have impressed me several times in the past in Munich. Also this year their room (Rockport Lyra + Absolare integrated) was a stand out room for me.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Vitus SM-103 / MSB M202
    Digital: Lampi Pacific + Lampi DSD Komputer
    Cables: AQ WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC / AQ Hurricane PCs

Post Thanks / Like

There you have it....we all like different things, lol. All is good in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

BUMP, I've never got a Magico demo so this isn't a comparison just my observation using my own system as reference. The persona 7f set up at my dealers has me sitting up nights. I initially heard them driven by Anthem's STR gear and the imaging was pinpoint in a tight really deep soundstage with intense bass I was initially impressed, but after a few songs I decided there was too much air around the instruments and vocals to be natural and tbh the imaging, while pretty cool was also unrealistic. FFW. same speakers, same room with a $5k pathos integrated driving them and a Naim dac they have in on consignment streaming. Best demo i've heard period. no sibilance, no 'added air' no miniature musicians performing, just the most natural presentation of recorded music i've heard. It's fun to watch customers grab a seat and flip out! get up walk around, check to make sure the subs are off, one after another dumbfounded at how what they're hearing is possible. Well recorded piano solo sounds like it. I play anything I can think of to try and find fault and The Pathos/persona 7f combo is amazing. I would buy it for myself.
    Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller, VA Beethovens, , Hegel h360, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkfan View Post
    Thanks for sharing your opinion, Mike.

In a forum such as this, ideally, no one should get offended as long as members are sharing their opinion, IMHO. After all, that's why these forums exist.

What can cause potential offense, I think, is if an opinion is cloaked as a fact.
    It is also the manner that an opinion is shared. Mike is honest, but tries to be non-offensive. He gives opinions on the products, not owners of the products. It would be nice if we all learned from him!
    Hattor "The Big" Passive | T+A AMP 8 | Rega RP8 | Ortofon 2M Bronze | SimAudio MOON 110LP v2 | Record Doctor V | T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Roon & HQPlayer Software | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    It is also the manner that an opinion is shared. Mike is honest, but tries to be non-offensive. He gives opinions on the products, not owners of the products. It would be nice if we all learned from him!
    Thanks for the kind words Randy. Everyone needs to ultimately decide for themselves the sound they like the best. The speaker that sounds best to you is the best. Period. As Iíve said many times, I am much more interested in different speaker designs and topology than I am about comparing the same topology across many brands. At present, I would love to find an ESL. Iíve been demoing the MurAudio SP-1ís for the past 3 weeks. They are a very good speaker, but they are a hybrid and not a true ESL. They will be going back. Good, but I want a true ESL having lived with a hybrid for a few weeks. Man, itís hard to get that Quad sound out of your head. But they have their challenges too. But I digress...

And letís remember, products can change over time and evolve and get much better. Rockport has new ownership. I bet their sound continues to evolve. If anyone doubts this, just compare a Magico Q5 to an M6. No contest. The M6 is just better in so many ways (but so is the cost)....but you get my point.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, EMM Labs, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

11. Likes CPP liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2