Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Alexia V2 and 4 D'ag Momentums on order

I have been working with my local dealer on whether I wanted to move up from my current Alexia V1 pair to the Alexx. The current system sounds so dialed in to me I had a real hard time pulling the trigger on the bigger more complicated Alexx (and I never fell in love with the Alexx look). I will say the Alexx is an incredible speaker and I don't doubt it can outperform the Alexia...just was not for me. Well when the new Alexia V2 was announced ( upgraded tweeter, more adjustability, more internal volume and easier to drive) I decided that the way to go was with the new V2 rather than Alexx so order went in (unfortunately there are a lot of orders in so not being delivered till late in July)

At the same time I have continually been listening to and really enjoying the D'ag Momentums. My current system has 3 MXR 20's and a VXR 20. They are awesome amps and as I mentioned above my system - as currently set up - has never sounded so dialed in...but a recent tweek to put the amps on HRS M3 platforms and HRX amp stands along with vortex supports proved to me I can get more out of it. So along with the new speakers...I am getting 3 M400s and a S250 (black version) along with moving to TA Ref gen 5 cabling. I am keeping the Ayre amps as they are too good to sell....will be considering where to insert in other current systems (swapping out my VX5 twenty in my study for the VXR twenty is a given) or to set up one more smaller system

I am going to keep KXR twenty as the preamp with sources being dCS Vivaldi stack, Linn LP12/Ref2SE, Naim CD555 and the Datasat R20i processor

Alidas and Mezzo CST are the rear and center speakers

Will be awhile before all put together but look forward to pushing the performance just a little bit farther

Audioshark

Re: Alexia V2 and 4 D'ag Momentums on order

HOLY COW! Congrats! You won't be able to sleep until they arrive. Very happy for you and really looking forward to seeing pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

enatai252, congratulations.
    I will for sure look forward to hear your impressions on the various components.
    Am sure it will be fantastic.

Super Moderator

Congratulations on the new gear, that will be one helluva setup. Can't wait for you thoughts.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Congratulations! I think this is the wise move. If you love the Alexia sound and looks, it's best to stay on this track and get an enhanced version of what you already love, rather than enter into uncharted waters with the Alexx.

Best of luck,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Nice move, I'm sure you'll enjoy the change. It's of course a slight benefit when you can buy the D'Ags in bulk Alexia V2 and 4 D'ag Momentums on order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

A huge congrats!!!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Congrats! The Dag M400's are amazing. Like you, I still love the Ayre MXR20s.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

mauidan

Interesting leap of faith.

IMO, No matter what amps you put on the Alexia V2s, they're never going to sound as good as the Alexx.

Quote Originally Posted by mauidan View Post

IMO, No matter what amps you put on the Alexia V2s, they're never going to sound as good as the Alexx.
    No argument from me. My goal is to squeeze out improvements over my current system which I think already sounds great. My constraint was not whether I thought I could get the Alexx to sound good in my room. My dealer is confident they can. It was the physical size of the Alexx compared to the Alexia and that extra depth and height was noticeable. There are pics of my media room on another Wilson thread I started. The issue is that with 2 seating rows and sweet spot in center seat back row- the Alexx was going to get closer to the front row seats and would be towering over the outside seats when all are used for a movie.

The Alexia works in that room without physically overpowering the room. They also provide the punch and scale I need based on my musical tastes. I strongly believe the V2 is going to bring a large improvement....and the amps are something I have been considering since the M300s came out.

mauidan

You can use the Imagine feature in the Wilson Audio app to see how the Alexx would look in your room.

Depends on the room - the Alexx has really big bass.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

mauidan

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    If they work in Michael Fremer’s small room, I’ll bet they’d work in enatai252’s room*.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/w...xx-loudspeaker

Attached Images Attached Images

Properly choosing the configuration of the cross flow port (XLF) allows Alexx to work in a wider variety of rooms than any previous large Wilson speaker.

nevermind - found my MSRP answer. 57k.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
    Properly choosing the configuration of the cross flow port (XLF) allows Alexx to work in a wider variety of rooms than any previous large Wilson speaker.
    Bill-I was very close to optimizing for my two channel listening only and going with the Alexx and 2 pairs of M400s in mono configuration. Leaving the current Ayre center and surround amps as is. But as I still have three high school kids who regularly use the room for sports and movies, easily filling the 10 chairs on weekend nights...I decided on the more balanced approach to improvement that the Alexia V2 will offer. It's hard to see in the picture but there is only about 7 feet between my speakers and front row so adding the Alexx (which would come out farther and be a foot taller) overpowered the room compared too the Alexia. I have no doubt you guys could get them to sound awesome. Maybe in four years when the kids are all in college I can get the Alexx V2.

Quote Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
    Bill-I was very close to optimizing for my two channel listening only and going with the Alexx and 2 pairs of M400s in mono configuration. Leaving the current Ayre center and surround amps as is. But as I still have three high school kids who regularly use the room for sports and movies, easily filling the 10 chairs on weekend nights...I decided on the more balanced approach to improvement that the Alexia V2 will offer. It's hard to see in the picture but there is only about 7 feet between my speakers and front row so adding the Alexx (which would come out farther and be a foot taller) overpowered the room compared too the Alexia. I have no doubt you guys could get them to sound awesome. Maybe in four years when the kids are all in college I can get the Alexx V2.
    You're going to love the Alexia 2.

Last edited by joeinid; June 16, 2017 at 12:37 AM.

So tomorrow the four D'agostino amps and Transparent Reference cabling gets installed. Dealer arrives around 11am to get started and I took the day off. My Alexia V2 scheduled to ship 7/21 so will have about a month to hear impact of amp and cabling change. My dealer is demonstrating the new Alexia's next week but unfortunately I can't attend

Will post pictures and comments over the weekend

You are going to love them!

Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Dan I really love your enthusiasm for all things Wilson Audio. But I am confused by this. Have you heard the Alexia Series 2? If so, I would have loved to have met you last night - the only time Alexia 2 has been played in public thus far.

Alexia Series 2 plays like a smaller Alexx and there will be rooms where it will be more appropriate. Does that make it better? No, but it does make it more appropriate for the application.

Alexx bass is quite tuneable to the room. The cross flow port plus judicious bass tuning by room position makes it more flexible in that regard than any Wilson loudspeaker short of the WAMM. I have heard Alexx successfully and linearly placed in rooms smaller than I would normally try to put Alexia. The port allows for for much more even bass pressurization than one would expect from a speaker with such extension and output capability.

If they work in Michael Fremer’s small room, I’ll bet they’d work in enatai252’s room*.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/w...xx-loudspeaker

This is correct.

You choice makes perfect sense to me. Alexia 2 plays like a smaller Alexx as opposed to a larger Sasha 2, which is more like what original Alexia is. I assume I'll get to play Alexia 2 for you Thursday night.

I find this conversation quite entertaining: is it going to be super good or super super good? Any way you turn it, the Alexia V2/D'Ag combo is going to be superb.

Further, bigger is not simply always better. The system needs to fit the environment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

The amps and cabling are in. Have them warming up this morning and will allow some time to settle in before sitting down to listen. Two things I did confirm as we installed them. They are heavy for their size and they are gorgeous.

The Ayre VXR 20 went to the study to be matched with a Rossini DAC. Two of the MXR 20s going to my cabin to spend time with Duette2 and Ref 40 system

As system comes together I will provide comments. I really liked where the old system had gotten to so the bar has been set high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Congratulations! I am sure it's an amazing setup. I can't see the photos, maybe something happened during posting. I'm so excited for you.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hopefully fixed

Super Moderator

Perfect! Looks beautiful. Thank you.

Hopefully fixed

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

enatai252 - incredible looking system! Congrats. You will have so much fun with that system.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Congratulations, and it looks fantastic

Amazing system congrats! Now you got me wondering if I am leaving anything in the table by using Wireworld Gold cables compared to Transparent Ref XL MM2...
    Wilson Audio | Dan D'Agostino | Esoteric

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Alexia V2 and 4 D'ag Momentums on order