Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator

Re: My Sonus Faber Stradivari - Curiosity got the better of me!

Congratulations on the sale. I absolutely hate selling speakers. It’s a multi person job usually.

I agree, the speakers need to fit the room and the electronics need to fit the speakers.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Congrats on the sale Mark. Somebody got a steal on a great speaker.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Thanks guys. Somebody did get a really good deal.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

sonus faber and jbl. tools for different jobs?. laid back sweet sounding speakers compliment a genre and high efficiency speakers are so addicting in their own right. I had a pair of 93.5 db eff speakers that I complimented with a pair of beethovens and both were so good at what they did that for 10 years they shared a room and I swapped them around depending on my music.

I sold both pair going on a mission to find a speaker that had the qualities of both speakers that would be my 'dream speakers', lol. You were very smart to keep those strads.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    sonus faber and jbl. tools for different jobs?. laid back sweet sounding speakers compliment a genre and high efficiency speakers are so addicting in their own right. I had a pair of 93.5 db eff speakers that I complimented with a pair of beethovens and both were so good at what they did that for 10 years they shared a room and I swapped them around depending on my music.

I sold both pair going on a mission to find a speaker that had the qualities of both speakers that would be my 'dream speakers', lol. You were very smart to keep those strads.
    Who are you addressing?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Super Moderator

My Strads are long gone.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I have a pair of ex-demo strads in MINT condition for sale if anyone is interested. Posted them on AudiogoN.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    I have a pair of ex-demo strads in MINT condition for sale if anyone is interested. Posted them on AudiogoN.
    Uh oh.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Uh oh.
    Joe,

Coming to a listening room near you.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Ken-You have been a busy man! Four sets of speakers in 5 years and a change of electronics for all four pairs. Hopefully you have found peace and happiness with your current rig.
    Hi Mark,

That post was from 3 years ago but I’m happy to report that I’m extremely satisfied with my current system. I’ve had the Vandersteen 7 Mk2’s and M7-HPA monoblocks for three years and MSB Select DAC for nearly two years. The biggest change I’ve made lately is adding two AudioQuest Dragon Source Power Cords on the Select DAC. The improved ease and sweetness is intoxicating. I hope to add a few more Dragons in the future.

Best,
    Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Super Moderator

You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Joe,

Coming to a listening room near you.

Ken

NAD C 658 streamer.

You never know.
    But seriously, Joe, you have some amazing speakers in the Avant-Garde Duo XD’s. What’s your favorite amp on them in your stable?

Best,
    Ken

Super Moderator

Right now, by far, the SIT3 is head and shoulders above the rest, especially for solid state. If I had to pick only one amp, the SIT3 wins.

I think the Duo prefer tubes and the Luxman MQ300 and Wooden amp are best for different reasons. The Luxman has a fuller and sweeter tone while the Wooden amp is a little more lively and airy with a more balanced presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    But seriously, Joe, you have some amazing speakers in the Avant-Garde Duo XD’s. What’s your favorite amp on them in your stable?

Best,
    Ken

NAD C 658 streamer.

I’m late to this thread and just recently discovered AudioShark.

I was able to locate a late vintage pair of SF Stradivari (2015 build) in mint condition. I’ve heard many speakers including the newer line of SF including my Amati Futura’s which I still own as well as Wilson models at my local SF/Wilson dealer. To my ears, the Strads are magical and my favorite speakers. Just my 2 cents.
    STEREO: Roon Nucleus, DCS Rossini DAC & Clock, Ayre KX-R TWENTY, Ayre MX-R TWENTY, Sonus Faber Stradivari speakers, WireWorld Platinum Eclipse 8 interconnects, and speaker cables, Shunyata Research Omega power cords, Shunyata Everest power distributor with Omega power cord, Dedicated 20amp AC lines with Oyaide Duplexes.

A/V SYSTEM: Sony A9G 77” OLED (main), Sony A9F 65” OLED, Sony A8G 65”OLED , Anthem MCA525, Anthem AVM 60, Lexicon DD-8 for Atmos, Sonus Faber Amati Futura L+R, ProAc Response CC, AT surrounds, Triad Atmos ceiling speakers x4 , JL112E, Oppo 203 & 103, TiVo Bolt, Apple 4KTV, Shunyata Research Denali 6000/S v2 & Shunyata Research Triton v3. Auralex room tx, black-out curtains, Audioquest speaker & HDMI cables, Shunyata Research Sigma & Venom V10NR power cords. Dedicated 20 amp AC lines.

Super Moderator

Hi RLF,

Congratulations on a great find. The Strads are wonderful and with your Ayre gear, I know they are spectacular. Enjoy!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi RLF,

Congratulations on a great find. The Strads are wonderful and with your Ayre gear, I know they are spectacular. Enjoy!
    Thanks joeinid. Yes, a great find and the sound that I was looking for. They do sound great with my Ayre gear. I remember that you once owned a pair.
    STEREO: Roon Nucleus, DCS Rossini DAC & Clock, Ayre KX-R TWENTY, Ayre MX-R TWENTY, Sonus Faber Stradivari speakers, WireWorld Platinum Eclipse 8 interconnects, and speaker cables, Shunyata Research Omega power cords, Shunyata Everest power distributor with Omega power cord, Dedicated 20amp AC lines with Oyaide Duplexes.

A/V SYSTEM: Sony A9G 77” OLED (main), Sony A9F 65” OLED, Sony A8G 65”OLED , Anthem MCA525, Anthem AVM 60, Lexicon DD-8 for Atmos, Sonus Faber Amati Futura L+R, ProAc Response CC, AT surrounds, Triad Atmos ceiling speakers x4 , JL112E, Oppo 203 & 103, TiVo Bolt, Apple 4KTV, Shunyata Research Denali 6000/S v2 & Shunyata Research Triton v3. Auralex room tx, black-out curtains, Audioquest speaker & HDMI cables, Shunyata Research Sigma & Venom V10NR power cords. Dedicated 20 amp AC lines.

Super Moderator

I did. I had the Ayre combo too but don’t remember if I had them on my Strads. I wish I kept notes. I think the Ayre/Strad combo is near impossible to beat.

NAD C 658 streamer.

The Strads was constructed quite some time ago and I think Franco was ahead of his time in many ways and todays gains in amplifier designs show that Strads are still delivering more than ever. Of course I am very biased with my own pair in service Anyway I have heard and have some other Franco designs that show the same SQ gains with todays electronics still 30 years after being designed. Kudos to Franc!!!

Mike
    Main system: Aavik Acoustics U-300 (upgraded internals), Accuphase C47 + TechDAS AF V Premium + Kuzma 4P11" Gemstone/Kondo silver + Ortofon Diamond, Naim streamer SSD + TAD DA-1000 DAC, Sonus Faber Stradivari 35 Anniversary, mostly full cable loom Ansuz Acoustics, D and own silver constructions on signal side, Mainz DTC/D2 + Mainz8 D-TC power distributor. All individual equipment and cables rest on Ansuz Acoustics Darkz DTC (Tungsten balls). Dedicated mains supply (Audience Conductor) with Klangmodule fuse system and Furutech receptacles. Other systems: Collection of Sonus Faber classics (Franco S design), tube gear and transistor designs, CD-transports and players, turntables and collection of cables

Strads still use what has to be considered current drive unit technology. All of those drive units are used to this day in varoius current speakers. At the time they have been launched - they were simply state of the art:

Stradivati 8.jpg

Stradivati 9.jpg
    Adam

Adam,
    any difference between these and the 35th Anniversary that you know of?
    Thanks

Super Moderator

I did. I had the Ayre combo too but don’t remember if I had them on my Strads. I wish I kept notes. I think the Ayre/Strad combo is near impossible to beat.
    Yes I did have that combo. Man that was great!

E8BF837D-7345-4540-95A5-D479DC798D95.jpeg

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,
    this red color is really beautiful too...
    Any particular reason you let them go? Or just the itch to try something else?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidear View Post
    Joe,
    this red color is really beautiful too...
    Any particular reason you let them go? Or just the itch to try something else?
    Thank you.

Just an itch for horns. Now I have Avantgarde duo XD and I’m very happy. The Strads still hold a special place in my heart.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Joe
    They sound like they don't have that clinical separation that the likes of Magicos have, but top to bottom they sound really musical and enjoyable...
    enjoy your horns...
    best

That is what I have now including the Ayre. To my ears, the Ayre R series sound great with the Strads. My Strads are of a late manufacture date done in the original “Red” finish. However, I love the color of these pictured here which appear to be the same finish as my Amati Futuras.

Yes I did have that combo. Man that was great!

E8BF837D-7345-4540-95A5-D479DC798D95.jpeg

Super Moderator

Sometimes we don’t realize how good we had it until it’s gone.

The whole package is better than the sum of the parts. The synergy was outstanding.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Sometimes we don’t realize how good we had it until it’s gone.

The whole package is better than the sum of the parts. The synergy was outstanding.
    Hi Joe,

I absolutely agree. I’ve sold a few things that I’ve latter regretted selling. I almost sold my SF Amati Futura’s when I bought my SF Strad’s, but fortunately I pulled out at the last minute. The AF sound fantastic in my HT system.

What is it about Strad/Amp combos?

You guys heard it with the Ayres, I have it with McIntosh MC2301s. What is it that makes that synergy? I ask to understand what other amps I might list after.
    Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Marantz TT-42
    Power: 3 x 20 Amp Lines, Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Shunyata Sigma v2 NR, Block Audio Power Cords, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
    Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - Alpha CGS cables
    Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon Modified) Buffalo GS2016 Switches powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
    Cables: Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 SCs, 1M & 6M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
    Other: Isoacoustics GAIA I footers on the Kharmas, GIK/Vicoustics/Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Ultra SS, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
    What is it about Strad/Amp combos?

You guys heard it with the Ayres, I have it with McIntosh MC2301s. What is it that makes that synergy? I ask to understand what other amps I might list after.
    One thing I regret is that I fell in love with the Strads when I heard them with MC2301 and a C500T at the time. Why I never got the 2301 for my home, I’ll never know. I even had several opportunities to make it happen but for some reason never did. That was a mistake on my part.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidear View Post
    Adam,
    any difference between these and the 35th Anniversary that you know of?
    Thanks
    No difference, only the finish. I was curious myself and this is the answer I got from a friend working there.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    No difference, only the finish. I was curious myself and this is the answer I got from a friend working there.
    Thank you
    I guess it's like the locals say in Thailand:
    "Same same no different..."
    anyhow,
    so you know, it seems like a scammer has hijacked your pictures and is advertising your speaker in France. You can see that on hifi-shark...

Anyone tried them with D'Agostino amplification? I am toying with the idea of running an integrated D'Ag Momentum!

Mike
    Main system: Aavik Acoustics U-300 (upgraded internals), Accuphase C47 + TechDAS AF V Premium + Kuzma 4P11" Gemstone/Kondo silver + Ortofon Diamond, Naim streamer SSD + TAD DA-1000 DAC, Sonus Faber Stradivari 35 Anniversary, mostly full cable loom Ansuz Acoustics, D and own silver constructions on signal side, Mainz DTC/D2 + Mainz8 D-TC power distributor. All individual equipment and cables rest on Ansuz Acoustics Darkz DTC (Tungsten balls). Dedicated mains supply (Audience Conductor) with Klangmodule fuse system and Furutech receptacles. Other systems: Collection of Sonus Faber classics (Franco S design), tube gear and transistor designs, CD-transports and players, turntables and collection of cables

I think it should work nicely with the Strads. The Momentum is one of my all time fav integrateds.

I had one on loan for the couple of weeks - it worked beautifully with my M3s (which are not so easy to drive).
    Adam

Thanks Adam,

Despite the Strads 92 dB/W/m I noticed they need some juice to get the base in order, something that I did not hear from some tubed setups albeit sounding great in the rest of the freq reg.

I'd like to stay with single box solutions so not many choices out there and then just add a top phono amp. Aavik U-300 has been a great friend but it s time to up the game.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

My Sonus Faber Stradivari - Curiosity got the better of me!