Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Shindo Pre-amp with solid state amp?

Hello,

Any one ever matched a shindo preamp with a solid state amp with good results? Impedance matching likely needs to be looked at. I have a Masseto that I would like to match to a 50-80watt solid state amp so that I can use a bookshelf speaker of lower sensitivity. (proac tab 10 , harbeth P3, etc) Also, any amp recommendations? I would buy used, perhaps YBA, Jeff Rowland, etc.

Audioshark

Re: Shindo Pre-amp with solid state amp?

Lowens - I have a client using a Shindo preamp with a Vitus amp I sold him with outstanding results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Lowens - I have a client using a Shindo preamp with a Vitus amp I sold him with outstanding results.

You not allow to say that loud. Shhhh

Paul

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    You not allow to say that loud. Shhhh

Oh yes, "he" might be watching.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

You mean something like this ? :

The Giscours is fabulous with the Nagra MSA.
    But the Monbrison has way too much gain even with the 2V setting on the MSA.
    I suspect the Masseto to have lots of gain too.
    I would select an amp with adjustable gain. It is imho mandatory. At the great time of hifi, no power amp was sold without adjustable gain but things are no more what they used to be !

You may like the association with a mid vintage McIntosh amp like the 2205. I loved mine and I made a big mistake when I sold it. It was sounding awesome with the Giscours.
    200W with output autoformers will drive anything with ease and stunning musicality at a price nothing can compete with. And sonically, I dare to say that you will still be in the Shindo sound philosophy.
    The 2255 is also a superb amp.
    Just be sure to have them perfectly restored if you follow this way.
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

I believe Shindo has been used quite successfully with FirstWatt
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

You can match a Shindo pre with any of the transistor power amps. No problem.

I think one member on this or the other audio forum has a Shindo pre with a Pass Lab XA30.8 and reportedly with great results. This is the amp that Jack Roberts replaced his Wavac 300b if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    I believe Shindo has been used quite successfully with FirstWatt
    I think it depends on which Shindo preamp - I tried the Monbrison unsuccessfully with a First Watt F5 (and other solid state amps). The Shindo preamps with lower output impedance (Massetto, Allegro) are likely a better match. Also some First Watt (F3, F7) would be problematic with any Shindo preamps as they have a much lower input impedance at 10 Ohm.

The Monbrison is an excellent preamp with a extremely flat frequency response into a 100kOhm+ tube amp. Into a 10kOhm load the response is severey truncated and the otherwise excellent speed and dynamics are entirely missing.

Accuphase E800 and E600, DC37, C37, Devore O/96 and Graham LS5/9, DPS 3, Schroeder CB, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold

I have the Shindo Vosne Romanee paired with the the Nagra Classic Amp. I like the combo a lot.
    TAD CE1 speakers. Shindo Vosne-Romanee pre. Nagra Classic Amp. Ayre QX-5 Twenty digital hub. . Thorens TD 125, TD124 and Well Tempered Amadeus turntables. Box Furniture rack. Auditorium 23 T2 SUT and cables. Ortofon SPU Mono CG 25, Classic GM E MkII, and EMT TSD 15 cartridges.

I'm supposed to be studying for a CPR class but thought I'd check in first here at the "Shark." Ah, the delightful distraction from the task at hand...I am the gent that purchased the Vitus SS-103 from Mike and paired it with my Shindo Vosne-Romanee pre and Raidho D2.1 speakers. As Mike said, I am extremely happy with the results! I was previously using Shindo D'Yquem's (parallel SET mono blocs) with Devore O/96's. Very intoxicating, beautiful mid-range, but in my small listening room (13x12x8) I could not position the speakers in a way that delivered the sound stage, layering, and bass definition I was seeking. My current setup, as you might imagine, has some trade-offs. But, it's hybrid elements have taken me much closer to what was lacking previously. The emotional content inherent in the various types of music I listen to is conveyed with more authority and detail. I often find myself staying up later than is wise to hear "one" more song or piece!

Thats not working properly, folks.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team