Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 33 12345611 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

JOB 225 2-channel Power Amplifier ... update ...

My Job 225 arrived last night. They apparently ship overnight from Switzerland once the order goes through. Holy cow! The amp and box arrived in perfect shape via FedEx. The packaging was great and I think more than adequate. Hooking it up was very easy with RCA inputs and solid speaker terminals. The review and manual has a warning that kind of scared me a little.

* Directly from the owner's manual, "the Job 225 is a DC-coupled amp without protection. If it is associated with a badly designed or defective analog preamplifier (often true for tube preamps or some 5-channel processors) the speakers could easily be damaged by DC. The Job 225 doesn't amplify DC but DC applied at the input is passed to the output."

Not wanting to risk my TADs, I hooked up my Andrew Jones designed Pioneer bookshelf speakers and crossed my fingers. These cost under $200 and are superb for the money. I hooked up the Dartzeel preamp to the Job 225 and started playing some music. OMG! to discount this amp on price is just plain stupid. It sounds amazing. Full, warm, detailed without being harsh. It has a HUGE sound stage with depth and layering. I absolutely love it and can say it can compete with amps 5-8X the retail price. This amp makes my Pioneer speakers sing like never before. I've had it playing all night and I am literally in disbelief.

I don't fully understand which preamps/dacs can pass DC yet. I have a friend who showed me photos of blown speaker woofers because the well known brand amp he was using passes dc and it fried them. Needless to say I was, and still am nervous about that. This amp could really satisfy as my main amp. It has gotten better overnight and will give it more play time to let it settle. It runs warm but not hot. I love this thing. It's not the typical SS sound and not the typical tube sound. It has some of the best qualities of both.
    Last edited by joeinid; June 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Re: JOB 225 2-channel Power Amplifier ... update ...

Wow! Glad you like it Joe. That was fast shipping!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Excellent Joe! Keep us posted - also it's incredible how good those Pioneer bookshelf speakers sound for the price! I have them also!
    Last edited by JJinID; June 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
    McIntosh MC501s, XRT29s, XR27, WS350s
    ModWright LS 300 preamplifier
    ModWright PH 9.0XT phono stage
    Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
    Cambridge Audio CXNv2 with ModWright Truth Tube Modifications
    Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
    Outlaw 7000x HT Amplifier
    Denon AVR-X4700H HT Receiver (pre-amp mode)
    JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
    ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
    WyWires, LAT International, Wireworld Cables

Super Moderator

I'll eventually get the nerve to hook up the TADs but right now I am really impressed with this amp.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

that's great

congrats
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Super Moderator

Thanks Jock.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, that sounds great! Seems like the bargain of the century! Congrats on a great find!

Allen

Joe, are you sick of it yet? Just kidding. Great to hear of your find of a reasonably priced sleeper. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on how it compares to the big boys.

Super Moderator

I can't wait to get the nerve to try it on my TADs but it's really, really good. I am speechless.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I'll eventually get the nerve to hook up the TADs but right now I am really impressed with this amp.
    Do you think it would be safe to run your DAC2X directly into the amp using it's volume control? You could try that out on your Pioneers first and then if it's safe try that with the TADs...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
    Do you think it would be safe to run your DAC2X directly into the amp using it's volume control? You could try that out on your Pioneers first and then if it's safe try that with the TADs...
    Hi Jeff,

The DAC2X has no volume control but I could use the modified Sonos as the source and use the volume control on the Sonos. I've done it before and will try it tonight.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Ah got it - I knew you were running your DAC without a preamp before and that makes sense now.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
    Ah got it - I knew you were running your DAC without a preamp before and that makes sense now.
    I just swapped it so it's direct now. I do prefer a preamp in the mix. So far so good.

I'm convinced the Dart preamp is bringing up the performance of the Job 225.
    Last edited by joeinid; June 8, 2013 at 03:47 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Congrats Joe !! Sounds like you found a diamond in the rough, I love it when that happens !

Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Congrats Joe !! Sounds like you found a diamond in the rough, I love it when that happens !

Thanks Mark. It is definitely worth more than the asking price.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hmm, was considering an integrated for the BR, but something like this + a small Pre sounds really good, too.

So does the Dart or the Dag go to make room for the Job, Joe?

Allen

You could build a nice little system around that amp, and not break the bank.
    Would be perfect for a bedroom system.

Glad you like it.

Super Moderator

Everything goes but the Job.

Seriously this has me rethinking things.

I do like it. I need some time to get over the excitement.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
    You could build a nice little system around that amp, and not break the bank.
    Would be perfect for a bedroom system.

Glad you like it.
    I think bedroom is full already.
    Gryphon Essence stereo amp and preamp/dac Hurricane power cords
    Fyne Audio F1-10, Lumin T2, Moon 260 Transport
    Shunyata Research Everest, Sigma V2 XC,
    Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
    Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects

Super Moderator

Mine certainly is.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
    I think bedroom is full already.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Everything goes but the Job.

Seriously this has me rethinking things.

I do like it. I need some time to get over the excitement.
    If you're starting over from scratch Joe, (but I know you were just throwing that out there) I know of a company that makes a nice little SET amp.

Congrats on the fun new toy you have!
    Doug

Super Moderator

Hi Doug,

LM is still on the list.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, Please tell us you found the courage to hook up the JOB 225 to the CR-1s. After Srajan's gushing review, I'm curious as to how good this giant killer could be? When you've recovered from the honeymoon period, please make comparisons against your esteemed in-house amps, pull no punches. This is an affordable price point for many, (me), and I would love to own a world class sounding amp for less than 5 figures!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KLH007 View Post
    Joe, Please tell us you found the courage to hook up the JOB 225 to the CR-1s. After Srajan's gushing review, I'm curious as to how good this giant killer could be? When you've recovered from the honeymoon period, please make comparisons against your esteemed in-house amps, pull no punches. This is an affordable price point for many, (me), and I would love to own a world class sounding amp for less than 5 figures!
    I am still hairless down there but I am loving the Job 225. My Pioneers are singing sweetly and have been playing constantly since 1:30 Friday night. I will say the bass is a little soft (on those speakers but it's not a fair comparison, yet) but the mids and treble are to die for. I am blown away. There is something so right about what I am hearing. I love it. I know it does not make sense. I really need to hear this amp on my Cornwalls. I imagine that it will be an excellent combination.
    Last edited by joeinid; June 10, 2013 at 02:40 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I am still hairless down there but I am loving the Job 225. My Pioneers are singing sweetly and have been playing constantly since 1:30 Friday night. I will say the bass is a little soft (on those speakers but it's not a fair comparison, yet) but the mids and treble are to die for. I am blown away. There is something so right about what I am hearing. I love it. I know it does not make sense. I really need to hear this amp on my Cornwalls. I imagine that it will be an excellent combination.
    Joe, Inherent noise could be an issue when you combine the highly sensitive Cornwalls with the high gain/0.75V input sensitivity of the JOB, but the Dart should be up to the task. When you finally pair the JOB with the Cornwalls or CR-1s, please let us in on your impressions.

Super Moderator

Joe, Inherent noise could be an issue when you combine the highly sensitive Cornwalls with the high gain/0.75V input sensitivity of the JOB, but the Dart should be up to the task. When you finally pair the JOB with the Cornwalls or CR-1s, please let us in on your impressions.
    I will. I expect any day now. I do think this amp is very nice.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

I can honestly say that I love this Job 225 amp. There is something right about how it sounds. I am sure that as long as your speakers are not too complex a load it will drive them well. This has killed many amps costing several times the asking price. It has a huge sound stage with clarity and smoothness.

I'd love a monoblock version for more fun.

NAD C 658 streamer.

So Joe how much gear do you have?? Lol
    Sounds like a nice setup!! Congrats
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Joe needed to play with something while (still) waiting for the D'ag pre to arrive.

How's it doing with more hours on it Joe?
    Doug

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Petro85 View Post
    So Joe how much gear do you have?? Lol
    Sounds like a nice setup!! Congrats
    Way too much, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    Joe needed to play with something while (still) waiting for the D'ag pre to arrive.

How's it doing with more hours on it Joe?
    I am utterly amazed how nice this little amp sounds. No, I have not hooked it up to the TADs. I promise to do it soon but the amp has totally exceeded my expectations. The bass is a little soft but the treble and mids are awesome. It has clarity and warmth with a huge sound stage. It makes the cheap Pioneers sound like they cost thousands.

Can you imagine what the Goldmund gear up the line sounds like? OMG! I'd love the find out.

If I am not mistaken, Howie has Goldmund. I'll have to talk to him

NAD C 658 streamer.

That's impressive coming from someone who has auditioned a lot of gear. Could be that both the Dag and Dart gear might find new homes...hmmm....

The JOB is class A/B right? Does it stay pretty cool to the touch?
    Doug

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    That's impressive coming from someone who has auditioned a lot of gear. Could be that both the Dag and Dart gear might find new homes...hmmm....

The JOB is class A/B right? Does it stay pretty cool to the touch?
    I can't see selling the Dart, but the D....... ?

The Job runs very warm, almost too hot on the heatsinks. Yes A/B, but hot for A/B.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

The author mentions Constellation and Krell, I believe, as other high bandwidth amps. Not bad company.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

I know that I sound like a broken record but this amp is a true game changer.

Bottom Line

The Job 225 seems to break beyond the limits of the “affordable high-end amp” to deliver a sound quality more like that of the $5,000-and-up amps I’ve tried. No, it’s nothing to look at, nothing you can brag about, but it does deliver superbly smooth sound from a chassis that seems almost impossibly small. So should you get a Job? If you’re looking for a compact, reasonably affordable, high-end amp, then yeah.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Amazon now lists the 225 as "unavailable." That was a quick product cycle.

Super Moderator

I think that is temporary. They will be selling directly from the factory in Switzerland. They will be finally offering a 120V/240V unit for the world market. Exciting times ahead.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, Why is the JOB 225 missing from your equipment list? I heartily recommend the c-j GAT/ART, extremely musical, 3D layered stage, transparent, draws you into the music.

Super Moderator

I don't have enough room for everything. I'm only allowed 500 characters. I've asked Mike to see if he can increase the size of the signature box.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I don't have enough room for everything. I'm only allowed 500 characters. I've asked Mike to see if he can increase the size of the signature box.
    Lmao!!! That's a sign Joe. You have to sell 50 characters worth of gear!
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Petro85 View Post
    Lmao!!! That's a sign Joe. You have to sell 50 characters worth of gear!
    Ha!

Let's see. If someone takes the TADs, that's only 7 characters.

NAD C 658 streamer.

C'mon Mike, let him list his heinously large collection of audio kit. Are you keeping the JOB as a fiscal yardstick like Srajan to be sure mega-buck amps have commensurate sound quality?

Super Moderator

C'mon Mike, let him list his heinously large collection of audio kit. Are you keeping the JOB as a fiscal yardstick like Srajan to be sure mega-buck amps have commensurate sound quality?
    I'm thinking about sell everything else and keeping the Job 225. If you are thinking about one, better jump soon before the price goes up.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I'm thinking about sell everything else and keeping the Job 225. If you are thinking about one, better jump soon before the price goes up.
    It's too late, Amazon is not listing the JOB anymore and don't know when or if ever they will offer it again. Maybe the $1699 universal voltage version will be available soon, JOB says September.

Super Moderator

It's too late, Amazon is not listing the JOB anymore and don't know when or if ever they will offer it again. Maybe the $1699 universal voltage version will be available soon, JOB says September.
    Keep your fingers crossed they come back in stock.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, What power cords have you used with the JOB, and how sensitive is it to different cords? JOB's Sweetcord?

Super Moderator

Joe, What power cords have you used with the JOB, and how sensitive is it to different cords? JOB's Sweetcord?
    I have and use the Sweetcord but I also use a Shunyata Venom3. I have not really noticed a difference. It's funny, when the amps sell direct, the amp goes up in price but the cord comes down in price. The overall price is the same for the amp and Sweetcord. So if you are buying them both, there really is no price increase. Do you need the Sweetcord? I don't think so but I would at least use a good, solid cord.

NAD C 658 streamer.

OK...I was in the hunt for a new power amp...and got to you guys via "Computer Audiophile" where somebody told me to check out the new JOB 225 that everyone went "GaGa" over.
    So, do you think JOB will tell us when the new batch of 115/230 VAC ampifiers are ready to be ordered or do we simple need to personally monitor Amazon ?
    Also read someplace that they will start selling "Factory Direct" instead of Amazon...
    As ready as a gun-slinger to order as soon as I have the possibility.

Super Moderator

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I've been keeping an eye on both Amazon and jobsys.com

I am not sure when the changeover will happen but I am doing the same as you. If it pops up again on amazon, I'm pulling the trigger again. A friend is buying one too. I expect that by next month Job will be direct sales. It sure is easy to buy from amazon and hope at last a few more amps will be available.

BTW, what's your first name?

Quote Originally Posted by McChicken View Post
    OK...I was in the hunt for a new power amp...and got to you guys via "Computer Audiophile" where somebody told me to check out the new JOB 225 that everyone went "GaGa" over.
    So, do you think JOB will tell us when the new batch of 115/230 VAC ampifiers are ready to be ordered or do we simple need to personally monitor Amazon ?
    Also read someplace that they will start selling "Factory Direct" instead of Amazon...
    As ready as a gun-slinger to order as soon as I have the possibility.

NAD C 658 streamer.

You've got quite the line up of amps Joe. Now that the Job has been imbedded for a few months it must be good to stay in your sig.

btw...if you change "Audio Deske Vinyl Cleaner" to "Audio Desk RCM" you pick up a few precious characters.
    Doug

Page 1 of 33 12345611 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

JOB 225 2-channel Power Amplifier ... update ...