JOB 225 2-channel Power Amplifier ... update ...

Hello,

I've owned a JOB 225 since 2013 but for the past 3+ years I've been having some serious technical issues. Initially it started with just slight noises from the right channel, which ultimately worsened into really LOUD "pops." Now the amp won't even turn on. Interestingly, when it was operational the popping sounds stopped after 20 minutes or so.

Does anyone know any reputable repair options in the NYC area? I'm even considering sending the amp board to Switzerland... It will be expensive but considering the cost of something equivalent, I think it might be worthwhile still.

Thank you in advance.

Les

Hi all,

I have Job 225 coming next week. I am very late to the party I know.
With Job Systems being shut it's a bit of a gamble but having read about this amp, when I saw a classified for £700 I just pulled the trigger.

I am actually putting together a system for the first time and I have a few questions.

Attenuation and preamp matching
I will be driving the Job 225 from the RCA pre out of an RME ADI2 DAC. To deal with the high gain I am able to set the reference level output to -5dBu (the default is +7dBu or 1.73 VRMS). Do I still need attenuators from Rothwell audio? If yes, is 10db enough or will I need more? I plan to order the Rothwell River interconnects with Switchcraft plugs.

RME specs:
Analog Outputs

XLR

• Output level switchable +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +7 dBu, +1 dBu @ 0 dBFS
  • Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +7/+13/+19 dBu: 117 dB RMS unweighted, 120 dBA
  • Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +1 dBu: 115,4 dB RMS unweighted, 118,9 dBA
  • Frequency response @ 44.1 kHz, -0.1 dB: 0 Hz – 20.2 kHz
  • Frequency response @ 96 kHz, -0.5 dB: 0 Hz – 44.9 kHz
  • Frequency response @ 192 kHz, -1 dB: 0 Hz – 88 kHz
  • Frequency response @ 384 kHz, -1 dB: 0 Hz – 115 kHz
  • Frequency response @ 768 kHz, -3 dB: 0 Hz – 109 kHz
  • THD @ -1 dBFS: -112 dB, 0.00025 %
  • THD+N @ -1 dBFS: -110 dB, 0.00032 %
  • THD @ -3 dBFS: -116 dB, 0.00016 %
  • Channel separation: > 120 dB
  • Output impedance: 200 Ohm balanced, 100 Ohm unbalanced
Chinch
As output XLR, but:

• Output: 6.3 mm TS jack, unbalanced
  • Output level 6 dB lower than XLR (-5 dBu to +13 dBu @ 0 dBFS)
  • Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +13 dBu: 117 dB RMS unweighted, 120 dBA
  • Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +1/+7 dBu: 114/116 dB RMS unweighted, 117/119 dBA
  • Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ -5 dBu: 109 dB RMS unweighted, 113 dBA

Power cord matching
The general consensus among reviewers seems to be that an aftermarket power cord makes a substantial difference. Can anyone confirm this is the case? If so, what cords are a good match?
I am keen on a Oyaide GPXe v2, but given the price I want to be sure of the benefits.

Fuse swap
I came across a review which suggests to swap the stock fuse with a Telos QBT-18.Has anyone tried this? What is the stock fuse and which specifications should I order if I want to replace it?

Manual
I do not have a copy of the manual. Does anyone have one in PDF and can PM it to me?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for joining.

Hi all,

I have Job 225 coming next week. I am very late to the party I know.
With Job Systems being shut it's a bit of a gamble but having read about this amp, when I saw a classified for £700 I just pulled the trigger.

I am actually putting together a system for the first time and I have a few questions.

Attenuation and preamp matching
I will be driving the Job 225 from the RCA pre out of an RME ADI2 DAC. To deal with the high gain I am able to set the reference level output to -5dBu (the default is +7dBu or 1.73 VRMS). Do I still need attenuators from Rothwell audio? If yes, is 10db enough or will I need more? I plan to order the Rothwell River interconnects with Switchcraft plugs.

RME specs:
Analog Outputs

XLR

• Output level switchable +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +7 dBu, +1 dBu @ 0 dBFS
  • Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +7/+13/+19 dBu: 117 dB RMS unweighted, 120 dBA
  • Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +1 dBu: 115,4 dB RMS unweighted, 118,9 dBA
  • Frequency response @ 44.1 kHz, -0.1 dB: 0 Hz – 20.2 kHz
  • Frequency response @ 96 kHz, -0.5 dB: 0 Hz – 44.9 kHz
  • Frequency response @ 192 kHz, -1 dB: 0 Hz – 88 kHz
  • Frequency response @ 384 kHz, -1 dB: 0 Hz – 115 kHz
  • Frequency response @ 768 kHz, -3 dB: 0 Hz – 109 kHz
  • THD @ -1 dBFS: -112 dB, 0.00025 %
  • THD+N @ -1 dBFS: -110 dB, 0.00032 %
  • THD @ -3 dBFS: -116 dB, 0.00016 %
  • Channel separation: > 120 dB
  • Output impedance: 200 Ohm balanced, 100 Ohm unbalanced
Chinch
As output XLR, but:

• Output: 6.3 mm TS jack, unbalanced
  • Output level 6 dB lower than XLR (-5 dBu to +13 dBu @ 0 dBFS)
  • Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +13 dBu: 117 dB RMS unweighted, 120 dBA
  • Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +1/+7 dBu: 114/116 dB RMS unweighted, 117/119 dBA
  • Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ -5 dBu: 109 dB RMS unweighted, 113 dBA

Power cord matching
The general consensus among reviewers seems to be that an aftermarket power cord makes a substantial difference. Can anyone confirm this is the case? If so, what cords are a good match?
I am keen on a Oyaide GPXe v2, but given the price I want to be sure of the benefits.

Fuse swap
I came across a review which suggests to swap the stock fuse with a Telos QBT-18.Has anyone tried this? What is the stock fuse and which specifications should I order if I want to replace it?

Manual
I do not have a copy of the manual. Does anyone have one in PDF and can PM it to me?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you!

Bumping thread again if anyone can answer my questions.

I also have an additional one: I have my eyes on a SL Audio e112 sub-woofer that has line in and line out, via an internal Linkwitz–Riley cross over.
Given the Job's sensitivity would it be possible to have the set up as PREAMP > SUB CROSSOVER > JOB 225?

I have had the Job 225 amplifier a couple times. I always felt it was a great little amp, a real bargain. When I have had it I used Rothwell's with it which seemed to help.

I have had the Job 225 amplifier a couple times. I always felt it was a great little amp, a real bargain. When I have had it I used Rothwell's with it which seemed to help.

Hello Randy,

I think I will order the River interconnects and the attenuators. Just to be sure!

I've owned both the Job 225 and it's sibling the Nuforce STA-200 which is even more sensitive. Looking at the options available for gain using the RCA (Cinch) connections you should have no problem finding one of the available settings that will work without the Rothwells. In fact all of them should work except the highest one.

Too bad that Goldmund has decided to stop producing the Job amplifiers. They are darn good amplifiers and a great value.

Hi all again,

I finally received the Amp.
The speakers are getting delivered tomorrow so I cannot test it yet.

However the power LED is not turning on when I flip the switch.
I do hear the relay switch.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? Could the led have come loose during transport?

Kind Regards,
Adriano

Adriano

Maybe you could open up the amp and see if the LED light is hooked up. Maybe the connection came loose.

Adriano

Maybe you could open up the amp and see if the LED light is hooked up. Maybe the connection came loose.

Hello joeinid,

I will try that tomorrow. I do not have the right allen key right now. I know nothing about electronics but I should be able to figure out if a wire came loose.

Thank you

Yes, you should be able to see if it's connected or a wire is loose. Just a thought. Good luck!

Hello joeinid,

I will try that tomorrow. I do not have the right allen key right now. I know nothing about electronics but I should be able to figure out if a wire came loose.

Thank you

Yes, you should be able to see if it's connected or a wire is loose. Just a thought. Good luck!

Good news. It was indeed the LED that had come loose. No issue with the wires, just the glue that holds the LED in place got unstuck.
I placed the LED back for now but I am not sure how to glue it back on. What kind of glue can be used inside an amp?

The Job225 sound great for now. I have not set up my system as I am about to move into a new flat.

I will experiment with power cables and the fuse swap and report back.

Congratulations!

So there was glue that held the light in place and it came loose? Maybe to make it easy, just use a piece of black electrical tape and stick it on or get an epoxy glue. Epoxy glue usually comes in a 2 part mix. Some are slow working and some are fast working. I’m sure you only need a dot of glue. Something called Duco cement which is a clear liquid should work too. Ask your local supply store.

Could anyone point me to a person/business in the U.S. that could repair the Job equipment? I have a JobInt that has a burnt Mosfet, and don't want to ship it back to Goldmund, if possible. Thanks,

Back