Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bryston active speakers

HI Folks,

I am going to start a thread on all things relating to the Bryston Active speakers.

The first versions will be the Model T and the Middle T.

james

Re: Bryston active speakers

BRYSTON MODEL T ACTIVE SPEAKER

The Bryston Model T loudspeaker is also available in a fully ACTIVE version.

Active loudspeakers differ from Passive speakers in that the crossover that determines which drivers (Tweeter, Midrange and Woofer) get which audio frequencies is controlled by an ELECTRONIC crossover placed between the preamp and the power amplifiers rather than the passive crossover version which is typically built into the loudspeaker. Also all the drivers in the loudspeaker (T.M.W.) have an independent amplifier channel controlling them as opposed to a Passive crossover where one amplifier channel controls all the drivers in the speaker. So an Active 3-way speaker like the Bryston Model T requires 3 separate amplifier channels per speaker whereas the Model T Passive only requires one amplifier channel per speaker.

The advantage of an electronic crossover placed between the preamplifier and the power amplifiers is all the speaker control (crossover slopes, crossover points, gain etc.) are performed at what is called low level signal levels whereas passive crossovers are operating at what is referred to as high level signal levels. Manipulating and adjusting signals at low levels is far more accurate than attempting the same with high level signals. So if you look at the frequency response, the crossover slopes and the volume levels per driver required the Active crossover provides much more accuracy than the passive option.

If you refer to the graph below of the Bryston Model T Active loudspeaker you will see two curves – one (upper) is the ‘Listening Window’ and the other is the ‘Sound Power Response’. With an Active crossover we can adjust and design these two performance areas of the speaker separately and independently whereas with a passive crossover they have to be adjusted in tandem. So in a passive system an adjustment on the listening window affects the sound power directly and vice-versa. The importance of the listening window and power response in a loudspeaker is explained in detail in another white paper available on request. So the flexibility and accuracy that Active crossovers provide cannot be underestimated from a performance perspective.

Model T Active - Listening Window & Sound Power.PNG

The other advantage of Active loudspeaker systems is the fact that the amplifiers output stage is directly connected to the loudspeaker driver. So the Woofer, Midrange and Tweeter all have separate amplifiers controlling their movement directly rather than having to deal with passive components (capacitors, inductors, resistors etc.) required by passive networks.

If you recognize that music is essentially a transient condition, a ‘stopping and starting’ as the music signal requires then any system that can control this stopping and starting of the drivers is much more capable of an accurate rendition of the input signal.

The transient response improvement with the direct connection between the amplifier and speaker in the active system. is mainly due to the fact that the main filter components in a passive crossover network, the inductors and capacitors, are energy storage devices. By definition they both suffer from forms of hysteresis where there is a delay between the energy storage and the release of that energy. This leads to a distortion of the signal’s time signature and it will also be frequency dependant to some extent. The other big area of benefit is that fact that the passive filter network has intrinsic losses and these losses translate directly into a reduction in the amplifier power that actually makes it to the loudspeaker drivers. Removing those losses from the equation translates into a more efficient transfer of energy between the amplifier and the loudspeaker.

If you are considering moving to an Active system at some point in the future then purchasing the Bryston ‘Signature’ version of the Model T loudspeaker is a great first step. You would simply replace the external passive crossover that comes with the Signature version of the speaker with the Bryston BAX-1 Active crossover and add 4 more channels of amplification.

Audioshark

James - this is definitely a trend. Active speakers. Nice! Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

HI Mike

Yes once you have taken a particular design as far as you can Passively where do you go? A bigger and smaller version - then what?

I feel the next performance jump comes with Active designs.

james

I've always liked active designs.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Thanks for the info James. Are those active speakers near-field for professional use?

Hi kzhtoo

No these are for home applications although we have sold a few to Mastering Studios.

http://bryston.com/PDF/brochures/MODEL_T_A_BROCHURE.pdf

james

HI Folks,

Soundstage Magazine is coming out with an article on May 1st regarding the state of Active Speakers now and in the past and the Bryston Model T Active is featured in the article.

Favorite Quote:

"Their all-Bryston system in 2017 reproduced incredibly deep, tight bass; beautifully clear, detailed mids; superbly extended highs; and a soundstage as awe-inspiring for its width as for its depth.

Rarely, at any audio show, have I heard a system sound so good!"

james

Interesting. I used an active crossover and used to biamp a pair of speakers. In my experience the use of the active crossover does allow for a more efficient use of amplification. I was able to use different amps for tweeter/midrange (these were combined) and bass.
    So in the case of the Bryston, one would need either three mono boxes or a three channel amp for each speaker correct? Or are the three amps built into each speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Interesting. I used an active crossover and used to biamp a pair of speakers. In my experience the use of the active crossover does allow for a more efficient use of amplification. I was able to use different amps for tweeter/midrange (these were combined) and bass.
    So in the case of the Bryston, one would need either three mono boxes or a three channel amp for each speaker correct? Or are the three amps built into each speaker?
    HI

The amplifiers are external so you can choose any 3 channels per speaker you wish (they must all have the same gain).

We are building a special 3 channel amplifier called the 21B for the Model T. It is one channel at 600 watts and 2 channels at 300 watts.

There will also be a smaller 6 channel amp for the Active Middle T with 2 channels at 300 watts and 4 channels at 75 watts.

james

21B Open.jpg

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
    SUBJECT: Going Active

April, 2017

Model T BAX-1 Active Crossover

Walnut T.JPG

Hi James,

I don't know if you remember about an email I sent you regarding my decision to go from the PMC IB2i's to the Model T Signatures.

Just wanted to give you an update...

Up to this point I have been using a Esoteric K-03x as my cd player, a Esoteric C-03x as my preamp, an Esoteric A-02 as my amp with the Model t's. I have been very happy with this setup. BUT, I have been waiting for the BAX-1 crossover to come available,
    and now that it is, I have been thinking of going active.

If I went active with the Esoteric A-02, I would need 2 more, and the cost would be outrageous. So instead it decided to test my single 7B3 (which I have been using on my center channel) on one of the model T's against the A-02, in mono mode.

I was surprised how well the 7B3 performed, so much that I found it difficult to like one over the other. Each had great qualities, but in the end, I found the 7B3 would make me just as happy. Plus the fact that it would improve even more in the active setup.

So, I ending up ordering another single 7B3 and a BAX-1 today, to get me started. I know the Bax-1 will be a longer wait time than the amp, so I can at least run my Model T's in passive mode for now.

I will have to wait for my A-02 to sell before I can get the 2-4B3's, and go active at that point. I will keep you updated on my findings.

Adol

SUBJECT: Bryston Demo Montreal 2017

By now, it was almost the end of the show and once again, I almost missed the Bryston room in Le Plateau.

Inside, it was a familiar scene. The rig looks almost the same, year after year, and James Tanner, by this hour of the day, sits restfully in the far right chair enjoying music both of us love. As I write, it is almost a month since the show and my memory of what was said has faded and I have no video notes to save me.

But as I lay in bed last night, I recalled the music sounded a little more alive this year. Strange, because there were no new amps. Then a recollection surfaced (and forgive me if I'm wrong) — he was using active speakers this year — possibly the Model T Signature (EDIT – Correct). The sound was noticeably better this year and from what I learned earlier with the active/passive comparison with the ATC speakers, going active was probably the difference.

Bryston has such a rock solid sound that is hard to fault—usually there are only incremental improvements when new models are released. This is not a bad thing. Consistency builds confidence that is underscored by their 20 year warranty on analog and speaker products. (The digital ones will likely become obsolete before they run into trouble.)

What was new this year was their Bryston BLP-1 turntable with separate BTP-1 power supply.

This may be their first ever turntable, but with their expertise in electronics, you can be sure it runs precisely on both speeds with pulse width modulation synchronous motor with low speed and high torque.

The power supply even has a "Stop" button! Like everything Bryston, there is no bling. Just a modest footprint about the size of a Linn LP12, and like the Linn, an acrylic dust cover. Real meat and potatoes!

Also on display was their BP 2 moving magnet phono stage, the PS 2 power supply, and the TF 2 passive step-up transformer which I have seen before, but with the hood down.

For high resolution, transparency, dynamics and enjoying the music without taking it to the bleeding edge, you don't need to take it any further than this Bryston system.

Rick Becker
    Enjoy The Music.com

SUBJECT: Pulsworks Audio Arts Active Demo

May, 2017

Model T Active System Open House at Pulsworks

Hi James,

Ken and I have just been listening to the new active system before our event tomorrow.

Bryston Active Pulsworks.jpg

Although we were always happy with the T's in passive configuration and even more impressed with the Signature version, this active system is on an entirely different level!

The regulars around here know I (Ken) generally don't listen very loud. I find most systems get hard and annoying long before they approach clipping or dynamic compression.

They were amazed, however, to walk into a session where I was literally fluttering pant legs and rattling everything in the room with a big smile of my face!

This system is so clean, pure and powerful that amazing levels can be reached without any hint of hardening or strain. The bass is more powerful, clean and extended that I have ever heard in any system, even those with stacks of uber expensive subwoofers. The upper and mid frequencies also lose a level of grain, become tonally more accurate and are therefore much more revealing of timber and space.

This is a significant upgrade over performance as we already suggested stated was perfectly good! I am sure this system will impress all that hear it, and thank you for giving us the opportunity to demonstrate the new Bryston Model T active system.

Ken Roach/David Puls
    Pulsworks Audio Arts

SUBJECT: Bryston BAX-1 Digital Crossover GUI

May, 2017

Hi Folks,

BAX-1 GUI.JPG

Please see below the GUI that is available with the new Bryston BAX-1 Digital Electronic Crossover.

Most room problems occur below 120Hz due to standing wave issues.

The BAX-1 GUI allows you to modify the factory preset frequencies from 30Hz to 120Hz in 1Hz steps. You can also enter any frequency you wish and make the same adjustments.

You can ‘increase’ the gain a maximum of 3dB or ‘reduce’ the gain by 6dB in 0.1 increments at the frequency chosen.

You can also adjust the ‘Q Factor’ in 0.1 steps. The factory setting for Q is ‘3’

The Red Line in the graph at the bottom indicates the changes you are making.

After making the appropriate adjustment just hit SAVE.

BRYSTON MEMO

May 2017

Hi James

The Bryston Active Speaker Demo Show was fantastic!

Pulsworks Store.jpg

The Bryston room was packed all night with many people exclaiming that they had never heard anything like this in their life! With the striking of the bass drum in the Finale of Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite many people were in disbelief at the impact of what they just heard.

So many people dropped their jaw, eyes wide open, some shouting out “Yea!!!” very loudly, and others simply sitting speechless as their pant legs rustled with the sonic impact.

It was an experience and a delight to behold. It was a great evening!

Thank you for helping to make the evening a very memorable one for more than the 150 people that came out. This was the first time that any of those present heard an active system—a whole new experience in itself.

I even have a few clients tell me that they have never heard anything like it—this is a great step forward. I think that it is likely that at least two people will upgrade their Model T’s to active.

Again, thank you for a great evening of music at Pulsworks.

David Puls
    Pulsworks Audio Arts

Hey James

The demo at Pulsworks was fantastic. The night belonged to Bryston ....we had a full room the entire evening.

Wow is all I can say....the resolution and detail of the system was amazing.....top to bottom extension was amazing .....no sub required.

I will add to this when I get home

Garry Taylor

James

Thank you for making such a great speaker as the T active system.

I think it is an amazing system that makes music come alive.

Have a great day!

David

Hi James

A follow up to my involvement in the recent Bryston Model T Active speaker demo at Puls Audio.

The demo was very impressive......the systems had incredible control in the room starting with the bottom end through to the highs. I think everybody that entered the Bryston active room thought that we had a sub woofer operating with the system. The bass response moved your body as will as your pant leg were flapping, however it was in total control at all times never hearing any distortion from the system and with this the volumes levels were right up there with no harshness or grain.....it was big fun demoing and listening to this system.

The balance of the system from top to bottom was as good as I have heard on any system at any price point.

Active is the way to go once you hear it and many people said this after entering another room which was 3 times the price and running passive ( nice system )
    however everyone ended up back in the Bryston room with the active system!

You have no idea until how good this is until you sit down and listen to it for yourself!!

Garry Taylor

Front panel insert for the new 24B amplifier for the Bryston Middle T Active speaker

24B Front Panel Insert.JPG

LOGO SW.jpeg

Hi James,

The Active Middle T’s are amazing!!

Best Regards,

Jerry Willsie
    Straight Wire

SUBJECT: Bryston Middle T Active … Turns Pro

June 2017

Hi Folks,

I am pleased to announce that Peter Moore of ERoom Mastering has purchased our Bryston ‘Middle T ACTIVE Speakers and BAX-1 Digital Crossover’ for his Mastering Studio.

Peter Logo.JPG

Peter Moore is a Canadian music producer who was first recognized for his innovative recordings of the Cowboy Junkies, produced on a shoestring budget.

Middle T Active.JPG

Nominations: Juno Award for Recording Engineer of the Year, Grammy Award for Best Historical Album, Genie Award for Best Achievement in Music - Original Song

Movies: Hard Core Logo 2

Peter’s credits include:

Neil Young, Garth Hudson, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Oscar Peterson, Diana Krall, Neko Case, Bruce Cockburn, Murray McLauchlan, Finger Eleven, Sloan, and hundreds of others.

He has Won 2 Genie's, won 2 Gemini's. Nominated twice for a Juno.

Quote Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post

I feel the next performance jump comes with Active designs.

james
    I have the same feeling too, i had the possibility to hear the same speakers with passive and then active crossovers and and i realize that the best way to achieve the holy grail in audio is with active crossovers. With active crossovers you have a ''bonus'' you can control the gain separately for high, mid and low frequencies, and that translates into a better integration with the listening room.
    Dealer for: VCS (Vibration Control Systems) and Audiofidem (Speakers, Cables, Vibration Control Systems, and Fuses).

www.allforhifi.com
    Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/allforhifi/

Hi allforhifi

CONTROL - is the operative word.

When you have the amplifier output stage directly connected to the speaker driver the ability to control its motion and behaviour increases dramatically.

Also active crossovers - especially digital ones - allow the designer to control the 'on and off' axis polar response and sound power to a much tighter tolerance. It is not a subtle difference.

james

Quote Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
    Hi allforhifi

CONTROL - is the operative word.

When you have the amplifier output stage directly connected to the speaker driver the ability to control its motion and behaviour increases dramatically.

Also active crossovers - especially digital ones - allow the designer to control the 'on and off' axis polar response and sound power to a much tighter tolerance. It is not a subtle difference.

james
    That's it
    Dealer for: VCS (Vibration Control Systems) and Audiofidem (Speakers, Cables, Vibration Control Systems, and Fuses).

www.allforhifi.com
    Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/allforhifi/

SUBJECT: Bryston Middle T Active – L.A. Show

June 15, 2017

Logo.JPG

LA Audio Show Report:
    Loudspeakers - by Neil Gader

Auspicious Debuts

The Bryston Middle T goes active

Absolute Sound Demo Pic L A 2017.jpg

Bryston demonstrated a tri-amped, fully active version of its three-way, four-driver, mid-sized floorstander, the Middle T.

Rather than housing active elements internally like most pro studio monitors, Bryston allows the end user to retain “have-it-your-way” control by adding external amplifiers, including, Bryston hopes, something along the lines of its own B3 Cubed series amps and the BAX-1 DSP Electronic Digital Crossover.

Listening to a selection of Nickel Creek alt-bluegrass, and some sax-driven jazz, I was reminded how often I gravitate towards active loudspeakers.

The immediacy and speed and bass control with slam is so persuasive that it just gets a little addicting.

Neil Gader
    Absolute Sound Magazine

SUBJECT: Vancouver HI-Fi Center Audio Show

June 2017

Hi Folks,

Great Bryston Active speaker setup and sound at our dealer in Vancouver:

Hi-Fi Center

Vancouver Show at HiFi Center - Active.jpg

This is a full Active Bryston system:

• Model T Active Speakers

• BAX-1 Active Digital Crossover

• 14B Cubed Amplifier

• 7B Cubed Amplifier (2)

• 4B Cubed Amplifier

• BP26 Preamplifier

• BDP-2 Digital Player

• BDA-3 DAC

• BIT 20 Isolation Transformer’

As one customer commented – “I WANT IT ALL!”

SUBJECT: Bryston Active System Cables – Straight Wire

June, 2017

Hi Folks,

Straight Wire was so impressed with the sound at the recent Los Angeles Audio Show with the Bryston Middle T Active Speakers they decided to do a custom set of speaker cables for us exclusively available through Bryston Dealers and Distributors.

Straight Wire Active.JPG

They are a colour coded (black & red) plus and minus tri-wired package with each pair numbered (1 to 6) to provide easy connections and no confusion at the amplifier and speaker terminations.

The Expressivo Grande II is utilized for the bass.

Two runs of Expressivo II for mids and highs

Black sheath with 2 foot open at the amp end and 1 foot open at the speaker end

Cables can be ordered with Spades or Expandable Bananas.

MSRP $3250 - 8 foot Pair

Hi James,

I would be very interested in reviewing the active Middle Ts.

I was just telling some of the other guys how good the active Model Ts that were demonstrated at HiFi Centre sounded this past weekend in Vancouver.

Like the Cubed amps, very precise and linear sounding from top to bottom. Sounded like a much more expensive speaker system and a lot of expensive speakers don't integrate as well or sound as coherent throughout the entire audio band.

Regards,
    Roger Kanno
    Associate Editor
    Soundstage Magazine

Hi Folks,

First shot of the Active Model T's with the new BAX Crossover and the 21B 3- channel amplifiers.

Active Model T 21B.JPG

James

Hi James,

Greetings from Italy.

My MIDDLE T’s ACTIVE

Middle T Active - Walnut.jpeg

Everything arrived safe and sound. And I must admit, the Middle T's Active as well as the 4B3s are simply magnificent!

I will send you some pictures soon.

Best regards,
    Dario

SUBJECT: Bryston Active Model T’s with BAX Crossover

James

First impressions..... My Model T’s with new BAX Active Crossover

Two words: Extremely impressive!

Walnut T.JPG

Much better than I would have ever imagined possible. You are rivalling my love of ESL mids and highs with outstanding bass.

Perhaps the best overall setup that I have owned...and I have owned a lot of various speaker technologies. Very few with an acceptable WAF.

The Tri-amping I have done over the last three years on my Model T’s was an improvement over the passive Signature crossover but the BAX is night and day better, and I am the first to admit I was as skeptical as they come.

Of course the engineer in me wants to understand how is this possible? Lol. My guess is the phase alignment of the drivers is much better with the BAX.

The pro crossover equipment I have used has no such real capability except for a crude time delay of crossover curves to account for different driver locations in a venue.

So far I am just using the default settings. I used the user interface for 10 minutes to fiddle but just reset everything back to flat for now.

Time for that beer!

Drew

Testsystems

Re: BRYSTON MODEL T ACTIVE SPEAKERS

Listening to the Signature Ts ACTIVE playing Roger Walters's The Wall at 95 dBa according to the B&K SPL meter.

The 7Bs are cooking but the sound is just FANTASTIC.

Deep and clear. Not a hint of over driving distortion.

Absolutely amazing. A concert in my living room........

SUBJECT: Saskatoon – Model T Active Setup

July 2017

Hi Folks,

Great Bryston Active speaker setup and sound at our dealer in Saskatoon.

Hi James,

I have attached a recent picture of the active system in the Bryston Room.

It is absolutely fantastic as the performance is profoundly realistic with rich deep bass, liquid midrange and air in the top.

Any album I have put on has been fantastic!

David Puls
    Pulsworks Audio Arts

SUBJECT: Bryston Model T Active – Tom in Singapore

July, 2017

Thanks James!

I just played my new Bryston BAX-1 Digital Active Crossover on my Model T Signatures for a short while...

Absolutely superb!

It’s such a refined and polished sound now...and the sound stage and detail is incredible...

It’s not like day and night compared to the passive Xovers...which speaks a lot for the excellent quality of the passives...But it’s a whole new level now in terms of resolution and detail...

Awesome!

Later...I played my MD collection...all from Radion recordings over 20 years...and I never heard this kind of detail...details I have never heard before...complete accuracy...like a veil has lifted! ����

By the way, the Hana cartridge also came for my BLP-1 Bryston Turntable ...and it sounds great out of the box ...superbly balanced sound...exactly what I was missing all the time…����

Cheers and thanks for making it happen James!

Best regards,
    Tom in Singapore

SUBJECT: Bryston Model T Active – Vancouver Audio Show

July, 2017

Hi James,

I recently had the opportunity to hear the latest Bryston Active Model T system at the Vancouver Hifi Centre Audio Fest.

VAF.jpg

I am particularly interested in the Middle T.

Other than the main speakers in a 5.1 set up, are there any special connection regarding the other speakers? I am thinking of using the Mini T for rears/surrounds as well as the Mini T centre Do you foresee any issues going that route?

The sound quality with the Bryston Active Model T was truly one of a kind.

ALAN CHONG

SUBJECT: Bryston Middle T Active – Customer Feedback

July, 2017

Hi James,

Sorry for the delay in writing you back the first impressions about the Middle T actives and 4B3s / 2.5 B3s set of amps I have received more than 10 days ago.

I was out of town for work so after a couple of days of having this marvelous set in my home I was still unable to set it up immediately. However, I have now had the opportunity to assemble the complete Middle T Active system. I mounted the complete Bryston Middle T Active set: 2 x4b3s + 1 x 2.5B3 + Active Middle T's and Bax-1. Unfortunately I had only the chance to warm up the system for a couple of hours and just see how wonderful these amps and speakers look. I will send you some pictures soon.

And I must admit, the Bryston Active Middle T system is simply magnificent!

Even if your goal (l agree jewelry doesn't have any relevance in playing music) was not to build jewelry pieces of furniture but musical devices the look is magnificent, and the new improvements really achieved new standards for your brand esthetically and functionally.

Sorry for my not perfect English, but my main language is Italian. Will be back soon!

Regards,

Dario

SUBJECT: Bryston Model T Active – Customer Review - Drew

July, 2017

Well I have had the new Bryston BAX-1 with Tri-amped Signatures ( Qty. 4 7BSST2 for the Low and Mids, and a 4BSST2 for the Highs) now for three weeks and I thought I would follow up with my longer term observations, as first impressions can sometimes be wrong.

I would have to say the following has been demonstrated day in day out with all kinds of music formats:

1. The speakers are extremely musical and inviting with all music formats. I really can’t find something about them that I don’t like!

2. They are well balanced both at low volume and at high volume, which is an unusual comment since most passive speakers have a sweet spot volume and when you go below they sound flat and lifeless. The ear and most drivers are non-linear so perhaps there is some software magic in the background. No idea…. but I like the net result. It is very well behaved and as I said above very musical.

3. They are also extremely “clear” akin to an electrostatic driver. I have heard on a few occasions an instrument in the background I had not remembered hearing before during past sessions. Perhaps it is just old age. LOL

4. This clarity of sound makes it very easy to up the volume without realizing how really loud you have the SPL. This is a common observation with good sound systems. Distortion gives us audio clues that we are “loud”, not so much with the BAX - Signature combo.

Really that is it. One very happy customer.

Well done James and team.

Cheers
    Drew

Hi Folks,

We now have a section on our website regarding the Bryston Active Speakers

james

http://bryston.com/products/active/Active_System.html

SUBJECT: Bryston Middle T Active … Dario in Italy

August 2017

Hi James,

I have finally had the opportunity to test for a few weeks the Bryston Active Middle T loudspeakers system.

GEAR:

• Bryston 4B3 cubed power amp for low + another Bryston 4B3 Cubed for midrange + Bryston 2.5B3 Cubed for the high frequencies.

• BAX-1 Digital Electronic Crossover

• Bryston Middle T Active Speakers

Middle T Active.JPG

It hasn't been an easy task because for the first time in my life (I have owned a lot of expensive gear and auditioned much more at shows and at friend's homes) with this Bryston setup I kept hearing to music itself and not to the electronics involved in sound reproduction.

This to say the quality is so high in terms of timbre, with amazing dynamics and huge but believable soundstage the music really seems played as I remembered at live concerts.
    All the instruments seem in the right place, perfectly located in the stage with razor shape definition.

I mainly listen to Classical music, Blues and Jazz with a strong preference to medium/small acoustic ensembles, so a performance so natural and realistic is really a must!

James, I really think going active is the future if a great leap forward in music reproduction is the final goal.

Dario Camuzzini
    Italy

SUBJECT: Bryston Active System – The Inner Ear

August, 2017

IE logo.JPG

THE COMPONENTS FOR WELL-TEMPERED AUDIO — TRI-AMPED LOUDSPEAKERS

Last weekend, I listened to three well-arranged audio systems at Bryston’s V/P James Tanners home.

The Bryston Middle Ts driven with the Bryston 28B Cubed mono blocks in room 1.

The Bryston A2’s with the 7B Cubed mono blocks in room 2.

Finally, in room 3 the Active Model T with the new (and amazing) 3-channel model 21B mono blocks. Each 21B amp is actually a 7B Cubed and a 4B Cubed in one chassis.

A pair or 21B amplifiers will drive the Model Ts in an active configuration whereby the bass drivers are fed with the 7B and the midrange and tweeters are handled by the 4B and of course an active system needs an electronic crossover so the Bryston BAX-1 Digital Crossover.

21B Close.JPG

It was the winning system and, although powered by more electronics than the other two systems, it rendered the musical material exceptionally well with an organic quality that almost completely transcended the complicated system arrangement.

The stunning performance made it impossible to find a signature sound and rivaled, possible outperformed, some the best audio I have ever heard!!!

Ernie Fisher
    The Inner Ear Magazine

Hi James

I purchased the Active Middle T's recently.

I followed your suggestion and I moved the active Middle Ts a little bit wider apart, so now the speakers are almost 2.5 meters far from each other.

Wow...! I understand the importance of off axis response, as the soundstage is bigger, even more realistic while the center focus is still fantastic.

I continue to be amazed how much control at low frequencies and how similar to real life the musical reproduction is listening to active Middle Ts. The coherence is so perfect the speakers actually disappear.

Thanks.

SUBJECT: New Bryston Active Speaker Dealer

August, 2017

Hi Folks,

I am very pleased to announce the appointment of another dedicated Bryston Active Speaker Dealer.

Welcome to: ‘Audio By Mark Jones’

Model T Active EW Close.jpeg.jpg

Mark has a fully ‘Active Bryston System’ on display consisting of the following:

• Bryston Model T Expresso Walnut Active Speakers

• Bryston BAX-1 3-way Active Digital Crossover

• Six channels of Bryston Amplification

Having a dedicated listening room to allow customers to hear how much better Active Speakers can sound is paramount and I thank Mark for his commitment to this concept.

In a market where customers are asking for more value added from their dealer the in-home setup and calibrated active Bryston speaker system is a perfect fit.

“James, keeping in mind that I am accustom to the best gear on the planet --- CH Precision, Tenor, Magico, Kronos etc… These Active Bryston Model T’s sound just awesome !!!”

Mark Jones
    Audio By Mark Jones
    http://www.audiobymarkjones.ca/bryst...-in-the-house/

Hi Folks

Just got our first order for an Active Model T system for Norway !!!

james

SUBJECT: Absolute Sound - Middle T Active Demo

Hi Folks,

AUSPICIOUS DEBUT!!!

Nice response to our Bryston Middle T Active system demo from The Absolute Sound Magazine

Check it out on page 112 in the October 2017 issue of TAS!

AS Middle T Active.jpeg

Today I took a break from cooking Canadian Thanksgiving dinner and sat out on my front porch to drink a coffee.

Supertamp was playing in the living room. I was amazed by the sound mix so far away. Base mids and highs all were balanced and sounded just fine.

It made me reflect that the Bryston T with BAX are the best all around speakers, most consistently musical, I have ever owned. This is referenced against solutions I still own costing many times more.

Don't just take my word for it. Please take the time to go to TAVES in TO this coming weekend and listen for yourself. ( My assumption is they will have a demo, but I don't know, just guessing).

I predict Active Crossover two channel solutions are going to flourish when the message finally gets out. Hats off to the pioneers like James.

Cheers
    Drew W.

SUBJECT: New Bryston Active Speaker Dealer

October, 2017

Hi Folks,

I am very pleased to announce the appointment of another dedicated Bryston Active Speaker Dealer.

Welcome to Audio Ark in Edmonton Alberta

AA Logo.JPG

Audio Ark will have a fully ‘Active Bryston System’ on display consisting of the following:

• Bryston Model T Walnut Active Speakers

• Bryston BAX-1 3-way Active Digital Crossover

• Six channels of Bryston Amplification

Having a dedicated listening room to allow customers to hear how much better Active Speakers can sound is paramount and I thank Audio Ark for their commitment to this concept.

In a market where customers are asking for more value added from their dealer the in-home setup and calibrated active Bryston speaker system is a perfect fit.

SUBJECT: Bryston Active Speaker Dealer Demo

October, 2017

Hi Folks,

This weekend we are demoing the new Bryston Middle T Active system at Audio Video Therapy in New Hampshire.

AVT LOGO.JPG

Gary Dayton from Bryston will be there with Active Middle Ts, the new BP-17³ preamplifier and more.

Please come by if you have a chance.

Dealer Show 2017.jpg

SUBJECT: Bryston Demo … TAVES 2017 … UHF Magazine

October 2017

Bryston's push for active speakers

UHF Logo.JPG

The original Bryston Model T speaker (the biggest one) was a passive loudspeaker, like most speakers. That is to say, it had an internal crossover network made up of capacitors and other parts.

You can still get it that way. But at recent shows, including TAVES in Toronto last weekend, Bryston was showing an active version, one with an amplifier channel for each driver or driver group. With an electronic crossover replacing the passive one.

Now, Bryston is an amplifier manufacturer, and the cynics will say that this is a plot to sell more amps. In fact, active speakers do offer a real advantage. To make active speakers easier to implement, Bryston makes the 21B amplifier, shown here, with three channels. Two of them can drive a pair of active Model T's. And the six-channel 24B can do the job all by itself.

21B.jpeg

We have to say that the result was convincing, despite the rather poor rooms at the Toronto Congress Centre.

Particularly impressive was Jean Guillou's organ arrangement of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, a recording that is notorious for including a 32-foot (16 Hz) pipe.

Impressive!

Gerard Rejskind,
    UHF Magazine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Bryston active speakers