Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: I'm bumming

I'm bumming

My 532h began not powering up. The issue was intermittent at first. Then I couldn't get it to come on at all. I tried other outlets, switched the power cord nothing. At this point I feel it's ready for the shop. The amp is only 18 months old. I contact Harmon on how to proceed and if knew what could be wrong. They eventually sent me a form to fill out with the warranty repair shops addresses etc. but in the email the guy tells me to try the factory reset first to see if it cures the issue. Come to find out this also wipes out the performance history. Why Harmon would tell me to do this is beyond me. So now it is at the shop and supposedly working fine. So no history for them to go on they have to wait until the amp acts up, which I would have thought should have happened already the way it was acting for me. So I could be without my system for a long time.

I love the sound of the 532h, my system has great synergy to my taste. Now I'm wondering if it's time to move on to something else. This is the sound I like so there's the thought, what if I don't find something I like as much. On the other hand this is the first "high end" amp I had go bad on me. Then to have the company advise me to do something foolish, I'm not happy with them.

So am I over reacting, and this type of situation is par for the course? I've had perfect performance from Krell, same CJ amps for years with out a hitch, the prior Pass was in the same outlet etc. for a couple years. Unfortunately, my budget isn't large so I have to sell to get something else, what I'd do for one of those old amps to be here now.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Re: I'm bumming

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes things just break. Nothing we can do about that. What I have done is build my HT with stereo system hand-me-downs, so I will always have one operational stereo if something should break.

Stay positive. Things will soon be back to normal.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Super Moderator

Great post Bud. Thank you.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

The other possibility is the factory reset worked and your amp is functional now?
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    My 532h began not powering up. The issue was intermittent at first. Then I couldn't get it to come on at all. I tried other outlets, switched the power cord nothing. At this point I feel it's ready for the shop. The amp is only 18 months old. I contact Harmon on how to proceed and if knew what could be wrong. They eventually sent me a form to fill out with the warranty repair shops addresses etc. but in the email the guy tells me to try the factory reset first to see if it cures the issue. Come to find out this also wipes out the performance history. Why Harmon would tell me to do this is beyond me. So now it is at the shop and supposedly working fine. So no history for them to go on they have to wait until the amp acts up, which I would have thought should have happened already the way it was acting for me. So I could be without my system for a long time.

I love the sound of the 532h, my system has great synergy to my taste. Now I'm wondering if it's time to move on to something else. This is the sound I like so there's the thought, what if I don't find something I like as much. On the other hand this is the first "high end" amp I had go bad on me. Then to have the company advise me to do something foolish, I'm not happy with them.

So am I over reacting, and this type of situation is par for the course? I've had perfect performance from Krell, same CJ amps for years with out a hitch, the prior Pass was in the same outlet etc. for a couple years. Unfortunately, my budget isn't large so I have to sell to get something else, what I'd do for one of those old amps to be here now.
    Yes. Things happen. You love the sound of this amp in your system. It's fixed and coming back to you. Hook it up and enjoy your system again. If it happens again in the near term, then you can be rightfully pissed and sell it and move on.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I bought a krell demo and it 'fixed my speakers' who knew? that amp failed 3 times under warranty and then again shortly after the warranty expired! I have a B&K 4420 the same thing happened, but has worked without issue serving ht duties for the last 10-15 years. I appreciate the satisfaction when you finally get your system to sing and the frustration of having to wait for service. I'm more than a little confident heat was the cause of all my amp failures tho' I was never told so. My current unit has built in thermal protection that I found by activating it! I'm trying to save $$$ to buy a 2nd amp to bi-amp my speakers in hope of lessening the load presented to it, alternatively or intermediately i'm considering a small computer type fan I can run off batteries to keep the internal heat sinks cool. In fact all 3 high powered amps I had trouble with had internal heat sinks while the 1, a parasound a21 with external heatsinks never gave me trouble... Good luck with your 532H.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

Sorry for not ever coming back. I did get the 532h back and it has been working well. The story I got it was working but they would replace the control board just in case. I think these places are told to keep the customer in the dark. I know for a fact certain amps from Harmon have had issues yet you can't find anything about it on the internet.

I would not recommend the Harmon repair shop in Austin I used. My amp came back with a piece of wire in one of the speaker terminals like they just yanked it and the wire broke and they did not pack the amp well on the return trip, completely left the plastic wrap off the amp..

The 532h is in my 2nd system right now. This Coda seems to sound better with using the Hegel DAC.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

I'm bumming