Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Let's Start a 4k Discussion

Anyone have a 4k display yet? I'm not an expert, but, any questions.

I have 2 4k displays, only because when replacing a couple TV's the quality I wanted was 4k, plus, unless going really cheap you don't have much of an option. The displays are Samsung 55", I think 8000 series & a Sony 75", 930? I'll have to check those models and correct in future.

I have a Samsung 4k UHD player and plan to pick up the new Sony x800 for the other set which is my main HT set up.

I have a total of one UHD movie.

This is almost like back when HDMI first hit in regards to unless you have recently purchased your A/V receiver or processor it will need to be bypassed to deliver 4k content to your display. The HDMI will need to be 2.2 HDCP compliant and pass HDR, and for now to a lesser extent, Dolby Vision. HDR is what really makes 4k worth while in my opinion, HDR will also be what makes the 4k worth while on smaller displays.

So that's enough to get started, I feel I'm losing you
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Audioshark

Re: Let's Start a 4k Discussion

I have a 4K TV only because the one I bought it came with it. I've never watched anything in 4K yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

i have a 4k OLED with HDR.

if you watch Netflix its brilliant as most new Netflix made titles are HDR. Those that aren't are at least 4k.

If you dont have a source of 4k / HDR then there is obviously no point in having one.

OLED, nice. It's good to see Sony coming back to the OLED table.

As far as owning 4k display, that's about all that's available now, and, keep in mind the 4k display with upsample to the 4k native resolution. Admittedly, that picture would not compare to a true 4k disc with HDR.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I recently did a TV upgrade and now have a 75" Sony XBR-75Z9D along with an Oppo 203, and I only use this for weekend movie watching. Anyway, I love the picture on both UHD 4K and regular Blue Rays upconverted to 4K. I feel like I am at the movies.

Prior to this I had a 57" Hitachi 1080i RPTV from 2004. This is quit an improvement. LOL.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

If you are able to swing the cost...OLED is the way to go. And even if you can't, wait until you can. 4K is new without a lot of content. But, why not experience in the best possible way.

Speakers - Magico S5mk2 Integrated - Vitus SIA-025 Analog - Vpi Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze Digital - Lumin A1
    Power - Shunyata Denali 6000S/Alpha HC/Alpha Digital Cables - Kimber KS-6063/Nordost Frey IC

I replaced a Toshiba 62 DLP with my 75" so I'm there with you. I really wanted a JVC projector but didn't want to get into all the room construction/changes. I'm happy with the Sony though, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I recently did a TV upgrade and now have a 75" Sony XBR-75Z9D along with an Oppo 203, and I only use this for weekend movie watching. Anyway, I love the picture on both UHD 4K and regular Blue Rays upconverted to 4K. I feel like I am at the movies.

Prior to this I had a 57" Hitachi 1080i RPTV from 2004. This is quit an improvement. LOL.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I am a bit late to the discussion, but I have recently gotten the 4K TV, LG OLED65C7 and the Oppo 205 $k/Blu Ray Player. They go with my Marantz 7011 in our upper room.

The images on the TV are terrific. First, I have Hidden Figures, Sully and LaLa Land on 4k disc. The detail and the colors really stand out and although it is not 3D it sometimes feels like it. But even the images from regular Blu Rays are just so better than I thought they'd be.

The images from Netflix 4K are also outstanding. The first thing we saw was "BFG" and was totally impressed by the detail and color. And cable Tv looks great also, but, in comparison, you can see a lack of color, detail and a certain flatness to the picture.

My only complaint is that LG does not give a full instruction book so it takes trail and error to set it up correctly.
    Barry
    Controller: Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo 105; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: RevelVoice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV Receiver: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc Player

I have one system with a 4k TV (and an Oppo 203). Believe it is a Sony 850C. I own 4 UHD movies. I don't buy as many movies as I used to. I haven't opted for the 4k Netflix (at least up until now). I wanted one system to be 4k capable and also a back-up 3D system (my Epson 5030 projector in the main system is the other).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have a 4K TV only because the one I bought it came with it. I've never watched anything in 4K yet.

I have an early LG pseudo 4K, in that you have to have all the ducks lined up to get 4K and only through 1 or 2 specific inputs.

The only 4K I have seen are the sample clips I got from the shop and a few downloads from the Internet at the LG site, etc. Its mostly cityscape and Nature. Very, very impressive, but not enough for me to jump thru hoops. When the infrastructure is ready, then I will take it but right now even satellite 720p/1080i is satisfying!
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post

My only complaint is that LG does not give a full instruction book so it takes trail and error to set it up correctly.
    I agree. Internet searches are manatory to understand all this. I think i also have a 4K compatible BluRay player, but never used it. It can do 3D as well, i think...though I never bother...
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

I have 2 4K displays, an LG OLED and a JVC projector. I've had the LG since the Super Bowl and just got the projector. Starting to collect a few UHD discs, but until my projector is calibrated I won't have a verdict on whether 4K is worth it or not.
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Madfloyd, I had been waiting for a reasonable price for a JVC 4k (not the almost 4k). Which projector do you have and do you have a 4k Blu ray player attached?
    Barry
    Controller: Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo 105; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: RevelVoice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV Receiver: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc Player

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Madfloyd, I had been waiting for a reasonable price for a JVC 4k (not the almost 4k). Which projector do you have and do you have a 4k Blu ray player attached?
    I have the un-reasonably priced RS4500 with a Panasonic UB900.
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

I get some 4K from Directv. It can be impressive at times.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I get some 4K from Directv. It can be impressive at times.
    Also youtube has excellent 4k if you have a PC with a highend video card in it. My dedicated HTPC has a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB video card. My display is a Samsung 75" 4K Ultra HD LED TV. Just jaw dropping performance!
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers