Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Question For the tube amp users re: listening sessions ...

At what point, when you have time to listen, do you think it's too short a session (wear and tear) and just wait until the next time you have more time to listen?

Asked another way, what are your typical music listening sessions like?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Re: Question For the tube amp users re: listening sessions ...

I try to squeeze in 1-2 hours a night. But even if I had only 30 minutes, I would still fire up the tubes. Who cares? How often do we read about people going through tubes like toilet paper? Never. Dan has had the same KT88's in his 2301's since he as 9 years old (or so it seems). My WE300b's are rated for 40,000, 50,000 or 60,000 hours. They'll probably outlast me.

I've talked to Brent at VAC about this "I hate to burn the tubes" issue. He said we are worrying about nonsense. Just listen. Enjoy. Life is too short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Currently no tube gear in the set, but I have had Ayon, Octave, EAR and ARC amps.

My feeling about tube burn is a little like having a good bottle of wine and not drinking it. As they say, life's too short to drink bad wine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

My tube gear actually reaches peak performance much faster than any of the solid state gear I've owned. My Pass Labs, Soulution and Esoteric components took hours from when they were initially powered on. My ARC and Vandersteen components sound great right from their initial turn on and have fully peaked in about an hour.

I would only turn it on if I had at least one hour to listen. This was the same with my solid state gear, although that first hour is now much more enjoyable.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I try to squeeze in 1-2 hours a night. But even if I had only 30 minutes, I would still fire up the tubes. Who cares? Dan has had the same KT88's in his 2301's since he as 9 years old (or so it seems). My WE300b's are rated for 40,000, 50,000 or 60,000 hours. They'll probably outlast me.

I've talked to Brent at VAC about this "I hate to burn the tubes" issue. He said we are worrying about nonsense. Just listen. Enjoy. Life is too short.
    Same here. I used to be worried, but not anymore. I've even had 10 minute sessions if I found it nice to quickly check something about the structure of a classical piece, before I went off to work.

And as Alpinist said, tubes warm up really fast.

I usually do keep the amps on if I know that I'll return to listening an hour later.

So I'm going on 4 years with the ART amps... after a bit of a rocky start, they've been solid now ever since. I listen whenever/however I want. Sometimes for hours, sometimes for a quick half-hour.
    Even with the occasional interruption 10 minutes after beginning. No problems and no worries. I'm still on the original tubes. I did spot check a few recently with MaxiMatcher II.. and I do have a replacement set of tubes on hand for whenever.

I'm at a point now where I'd put my liking for Vacuum Tube Amps in the same realm as LP fans feel about their vinyl.
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I try to squeeze in 1-2 hours a night. But even if I had only 30 minutes, I would still fire up the tubes. Who cares? How often do we read about people going through tubes like toilet paper? Never. Dan has had the same KT88's in his 2301's since he as 9 years old (or so it seems).
    Mike.......That gave me a good chuckle. Actually I have owned my MC2301's since January 2012, nearly 5-1/2 years. The Gold Lion KT88's have been in the amps from the start. I now have approximately 3,000 hours on the power tubes and expect to get 6,000 to 8,000 total hours without issues. The small tubes, a pair of 12AT7 drivers tubes per amplifier will easily deliver 10,000 hours service. I have rolled several different sets of 12AT7 (ECC801S, E81CC) tubes just for fun and to check the performance differences, again without incidence.

To respond to Joe's concern, in my opinion there is no such thing as a listening session that's too short or too long. I don't worry about the tubes, but I usually let the amplifiers warm for a half an hour with the tuner playing before I sit down to immerse myself in the wonderful sound of the solid state McIntosh C1000C/P preamp driving these fine MC2301 tube power amplifiers.

I keep backup tubes in my tube locker. I have 16 Gold Lion KT88's, plus 16 Electro-Harmonics KT88's as spares. I have four quad sets of 12AT7 tubes from Gold Lion and Siemens, plus other Gold Lion, Tung-Sol, Telefunken 12AX7 tubes for my McIntosh C2300 preamp in the living room system. I don't anticipate I will be needing any of my spares any time soon but they are there when the time comes. I own two tube testers and check all of the tubes in use annually, keeping the collected results to compare with the previous years results. It is well worth the effort and expense to enjoy the pleasure that tube amplifiers bring to my systems.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I also try to squeeze in an hour or two a night. I don't worry about tube life anymore. When I was younger and had ARC equipment, I used to. Now I'm 60ish, I just enjoy the music. And I agree life's to short, "who cares".

Super Moderator

Welcome Valve36, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome Valve36, thank you for joining.
    Happy to be aboard, Joe

Super Moderator

I was just curious about what you guys do. When my stereo comes on, it's usually for 12 hours or more, some active listening some passive listening. With my solid state gear, I won't hesitate for a short session but my tube gear usage tends to be a little different and more active and deliberate.

NAD C 658 streamer.

according to the manufacturer of my amp wrt/ setting the output tube bias voltage: "Enjoy life. Do not worry about tube life." I have found this to be sound advice.

my listening sessions are usually 1-2 hours with the tubes getting fully warmed up and sounding great in about 30 minutes -- which also coincides with my having a beverage, so not sure which warm-up has the greatest effect on system sound !?

the 6c33c output tubes in my amp are good for about 2,000 hours and need replacing every 2 years or so. no big deal since they are only $65 each. it might be a bigger deal if they were expensive tubes. for input tubes i am using some NOS tubes which are good for 10,000 hours and i have extra of these in the drawer which should last me and my heirs.

My system is based around the truly wonderful but dreadfully marketed Audiopax Model88 mk3 single ended triode monoblocks

They go on in the morning almost every morning and the system gets demaged first. Then music.... all day through the day. Sometimes for a couple of lps sometimes for literally hours.

The music flows effortlessly yes it's REALLY that good.

A properly set up Model88 is hard to beat at ANY price

Nirvana

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Cableman, thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

DSkip

At RMAF Lorenzo from MastersounD kept encouraging me to leave the Evolution 845 on all night. He laughed when I questioned him and assured me all would be fine. His question was 'why turn them off?'

I think we get too caught up in preserving everything instead of just using the gear for what it was intended to do. It's like buying a Ferrari and driving it once a quarter. What's the point?

Super Moderator

I agree. I'm starting to turn around my way of thinking but it is difficult. I would absolutely love to hear the MastersounD amps. OMG!

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    At RMAF Lorenzo from MastersounD kept encouraging me to leave the Evolution 845 on all night. He laughed when I questioned him and assured me all would be fine. His question was 'why turn them off?'

I think we get too caught up in preserving everything instead of just using the gear for what it was intended to do. It's like buying a Ferrari and driving it once a quarter. What's the point?

NAD C 658 streamer.

listening sessions are mostly 1-2 hours in the evening 8.00 - 10.00 pm. and in the weekend sometimes > 6 hours (wagner...)

my PTP hand wired jadis DA50 takes about 1 h to completely warm up.

after 5 minutes it sounds nice - after 1 hour it sounds great.

fresh air and enough humidity are important. i also use a magnet to structure the airmolecules...

and i always power off. (not because of tube-life, but i think it's not good for a tube amp to be powered on 24/7).
    hifi:
    power: Audioplan Powerstar, Audioplan Finefilter, Audioplan Powerplant, Powercord
    tube amp: Jadis DA 50 Signature RC, Line Magnetic 508ia
    speaker: Living Voice Avatar 2
    turntable: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 + Ortofon Quintet Black MC
    phono stage: Remton 383 MKII
    cables: Audioplan Musicable bic 7a, Profigold, Wilbrand

home-cinema: Sony blu-ray, Yamaha rx v2700, Heco Metas 700 (4x), Heco center

So the last I looked, KT-150s were running around $90 each. So, the primary reason I don't think about tube-life too much is that I very seldom have the system on for 12 hours in a given day.

Any sane person would say something like: "so, you own these insanely expensive toys that play audio, and you're worried about spending a few $$ on vacuum tubes?"
    I'd say in response: "well, I'm not really worried at all, but, then again, If I wanted to listen to music 12+ hours a day most days, It's highly unlikely I'd own "big tube" power amps."
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team