Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Audio Racks...Is Metal ok

Hey guys. First post here. I am looking to make a rack with a metal frame and wood shelves. I have seen racks made completely out of wood, my question is would a metal frame cause unwanted vibration? thus making it undesirable?

thanks guys!

also looking to make some platforms stay tuned for pictures...hopfully lol

Super Moderator

Re: Audio Racks...Is Metal ok

Welcome to the forum Jason, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Audio Racks...Is Metal ok

Ok, this is my third go at writing this post...the last two attempts were wiped by pressing the wrong key on my new laptop! So i'll try not to jinx myself this time.

My first rack was a Standesign rack from the UK which used a tubular steel frame draining down to spikes/cups and wood shelves. It was a sold rack, looked the goods, but had fixed shelves which are a mixed blessing.

My current racks are Taoc ASR series. The Taoc rack uses a die-cast aluminium frame, adjustable composite wood shelves which sit on small adjustable spikes, cast iron inserts, as well as some acoustic cloth inserts to further dampen vibration. The idea is for the tubular alu frame to drain energy to the cast iron spikes/cups.

I use heavier Taoc SCB RS-50G boards in lieu of the standard shelves for my cdp & amp. The mass-loading principle works well in these applications; kind of like science meets brute force. I also use Finite Elemente Cerabase Classic feet in lieu of the factory feet. The Cerabase feet not only look better, but use ball bearing technology to convert vibration to heat.

So in summary, yes a steel or alu frame & wood shelves can be effective. Just pay attention to how the rack drains energy, and ensure it is sold and passes the 'knock test'. If you hear a bit of ringing in the steel frame. there is a number of ways you can tackle that; for example by filling the tubes with sand or ball bearings. Or you could apply sections of viscoelastic material to the inside of the tubes. Isolation feet also help.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Audio Racks...Is Metal ok