Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Esoteric Grandioso K1 Unboxing

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    I can buy a new P1 or K1 for about the same price. What should I do, P1 and plug it into my N-01 via AES/EBU, or K1 direct to my pre-amp via XLR? (note: I'm currently using PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player for disc spinning).

And...

Would you bother clocking a P1 or K1 with a G-02X?
    I would clock witha G-02X if you could demo it; others have and report great results.

The first question is tough, not sure what path you should take. P1 is the clear choice should you also go dual D1s in the future.
    Legacy Audio Valor+Wavelet v2, Esoteric S-02 Amps HDPlex 300W, RevAudio Labs DC Umbilical, Esoteric Grandioso P1, P1PSU & dual D1 DACs, Cybershaft Prem Ltd OP21A 10 MHz Clock, Esoteric C-02X, Shunyata Everest 8000 & Altaira SG-NR hubs, Sigma SGC/CGC ground cables, VTX-Ag ground tails, AfterBurner8 duplexes, CSP Inc Q4B, S2B IEC plates, Shunyata Omega CLOCK-50 cables, Tubulus Concentus HDMI, Elrod Master Series Diamond SE & Masters Series Gold Power cords and Statement Gold XLRs, Diamond XLRs & Master Series Diamond XLRs, Shunyata OMEGA QR-s power cable, Anaconda Z-tron XLR, Elrod Statement Gold speaker cables, Adona Zero GX3, GX2, GX racks, Composite Audio CF-2010, Townshend Audio Podiums, HRS DPX Damping Plates, Stillpoints Ultra SS w/Ultra Bases, pArtScience 64-well, 2D QRD 3-inch SpaceArray Diffusors

Travel/Rip: Apple MacBook Pro 16” 2023 M2 Max, 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD for Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, REW Audio Analyzer, dbPowerAmp, DVD Audio Extractor

That's the dilemma. I suspect the great price I've been offered on P1 is to move old stock before the release of a new model. But when D1X comes along I'm not going to get a pair of those at close-out pricing...but I might get D1 at closeout pricing. I don't think D1X will be affordable. P1 + D1 at closeout pricing might be affordable. K1 by itself might be close enough to P1 + D1? Or P1 + N-01 might be close enough to K1 or P1 + D1?

I don't know, I can only rely of end-user feedback via the forum as demo is not possible.

That's the dilemma. I suspect the great price I've been offered on P1 is to move old stock before the release of a new model. But when D1X comes along I'm not going to get a pair of those at close-out pricing...but I might get D1 at closeout pricing. I don't think D1X will be affordable. P1 + D1 at closeout pricing might be affordable. K1 by itself might be close enough to P1 + D1? Or P1 + N-01 might be close enough to K1 or P1 + D1?

I don't know, I can only rely of end-user feedback via the forum as demo is not possible.
    Bear in mind that the P1 and D1 is a market-leading absolutely SOTA solution; you would not be wanting for more for MANY years to come.

If you had to choose a single box in the world right now and for the foreseeable future, I would suggest the Grandioso K1; it is good in a
    way that it's tough to put all the words necessary to describe into play to do it justice having heard it twice now myself. Have you thought
    about streaming in via USB or other digital input into the K1 to utilize its outstanding DAC section? Forgive if I'm missing something here
    but what could you not accomplish given your goals in this way? Pure network streaming?
    Legacy Audio Valor+Wavelet v2, Esoteric S-02 Amps HDPlex 300W, RevAudio Labs DC Umbilical, Esoteric Grandioso P1, P1PSU & dual D1 DACs, Cybershaft Prem Ltd OP21A 10 MHz Clock, Esoteric C-02X, Shunyata Everest 8000 & Altaira SG-NR hubs, Sigma SGC/CGC ground cables, VTX-Ag ground tails, AfterBurner8 duplexes, CSP Inc Q4B, S2B IEC plates, Shunyata Omega CLOCK-50 cables, Tubulus Concentus HDMI, Elrod Master Series Diamond SE & Masters Series Gold Power cords and Statement Gold XLRs, Diamond XLRs & Master Series Diamond XLRs, Shunyata OMEGA QR-s power cable, Anaconda Z-tron XLR, Elrod Statement Gold speaker cables, Adona Zero GX3, GX2, GX racks, Composite Audio CF-2010, Townshend Audio Podiums, HRS DPX Damping Plates, Stillpoints Ultra SS w/Ultra Bases, pArtScience 64-well, 2D QRD 3-inch SpaceArray Diffusors

Travel/Rip: Apple MacBook Pro 16” 2023 M2 Max, 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD for Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, REW Audio Analyzer, dbPowerAmp, DVD Audio Extractor

Having owned the Grandioso K1, I would recommend going that route. I have listened to the Grandioso D1 and while it is better than the K1 in some areas (resolution, layering and soundstaging), it is just not as liquid sounding as the K1. I found the K1 to be more musical primarily due to its AK4497EQ DAC chip, which I feel blows away its predecessors. I personally wouldn't purchase any Esoteric component that doesn't have the new AK4497EQ DAC chip.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

I already have the N-01, which is why I was thinking buying a transport instead of a player. I know K1 will play SACD at full resolution, and transport > N-01 won't, however I have very few SACD in my collection and my interest is overwhelmingly CD. The question becomes, would K1 sound better than P1>N-01 for CD playback? K1 and P1 are the same price (actually, only $500 difference). I know K1 is reported to have better internal power supplies than N-01, however if I'm using a PS Audio power regenerator I think would level the playing field and diminish any advantage the better internal power supplies of K1 has over N-01.

K1 is $27K MSRP. P1 is $35K MSRP. However, as I've mentioned, the dealer has given me a good price on P1...basically I'm getting $8K MSRP (the price difference between the 2) for only $500.

I sold my K1 a few months ago after I had a flood in my house. Luckily my stereo was untouched, but the ceiling needed to be redone, so I pulled everything apart.

I had an offer from an audiophile friend who has a plethora of high end gear and he wanted my K1. I was over at his house today checking out his EMM DA2 that he picked up about a month ago. I’ve got to say it spanked the K1. The K1 sounded flat in comparison to the DA2, and don’t get me wrong, the K1 is a fantastic DAC. I love esoteric gear, but I’m really thinking next DAC might be the DA2... it’s incredible.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

You're saying when the K1 digital output was connected to EMM DA2 it sounded better than the K1 analog output?

You're saying when the K1 digital output was connected to EMM DA2 it sounded better than the K1 analog output?
    No. The EMM DAC was fed by a tricked out Mac mini from a company called “your final system”. Never heard of them before today. The K1 used the same source for our comparison.

The EMM DA2 sounded significantly better than the K1. It was pretty shocking, and this is coming from someone who loves the Esoteric sound.

If you’re thinking of buying a DAC, I’d go give it a listen. It might be my next DAC.

-Kyle

If you’re auditioning the EMM DA2 DAC, you should also audition the MSB Premier DAC which is at a similar price point.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

How does the Premier compare with your previous k1 analogue output, any indications if yoy have heard the premier?

Where the K1 is supposed to shine is as a single box player. As soon as you start introducing other boxes and interconnects then you're at risk of dilution. I'm curious if the K1 sounded better spinning a disc than the tricked out Mac mini going to the DA2.

Where the K1 is supposed to shine is as a single box player. As soon as you start introducing other boxes and interconnects then you're at risk of dilution. I'm curious if the K1 sounded better spinning a disc than the tricked out Mac mini going to the DA2.
    When I owned it, I had my Aurender N10 feeding it. The K1 sounded better with a SACD vs DSD over usb. However there was no difference on Redbook.

-Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    If you’re auditioning the EMM DA2 DAC, you should also audition the MSB Premier DAC which is at a similar price point.

Best,
    Ken
    There’s actually someone selling a reference on agon for 20k. Thought about buying it without ever hearing it. I’ve read MSB really got it right with this iteration. There’s a dealer about 90 miles north of me. I need to drive up and see him before making the final decision. That EMM DA2 is something special.

-Kyle

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    There’s actually someone selling a reference on agon for 20k. Thought about buying it without ever hearing it. I’ve read MSB really got it right with this iteration. There’s a dealer about 90 miles north of me. I need to drive up and see him before making the final decision. That EMM DA2 is something special.

His ads look suspicious to me. He provides no actual photos of any of the items for sale and uses the same text for each item. He also hasn’t posted on Audiogon in 15 years.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Esoteric Grandioso K1 Unboxing