Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

The amazing Jeff Rowland PSU brings a transformation

I was fortunate to hear an amazing demonstration of the transformative power of the Super-Capacitor PSU unit in a full Jeff Rowland system yesterday. The original very high quality power supplies of a Corus preamp and Aeris DAC were replaced with the PSU. 3 cuts of a very good cd (yes, cd) were listened to first, and then again after the PSU had charged up (takes a few minutes) Holy Cow! Now, I have always thought that the Aeris is one of the most brilliant digital devices ever made, but when I heard it with the PSU...Absolutely jaw-dropping. Top to bottom, amazing! If you own either or both the Corus and/or Aeris, you really Must hear it/them connected to the PSU. You want to talk "value added"! You will be rewarded.

Re: The amazing Jeff Rowland PSU brings a transformation

All that have listened this far to the Rowland Aeris DAC and/or Rowland Corus powered by the new Rowland PSU have given very consistent feedback... "Transformative" has been the operative word every time.

Note that one single PSU can power the Aeris DAC and Corus linestage simultaneously.

Once the initial bank of ultracapacitors have charged, Corus and Aeris will be permanently kept off the AC grid and fed pure clean DC instead.... There are two banks of supercaps in PSU.... While one bank delivers DC to the devices, the other one is under charge.... Once the first bank reaches a preset discharge level, DC delivery is assigned to the second bank, while the first bank starts to recharge... The charge/discharge process flips back and forth Ad infinitum.... The switch between capacitor banks is seemless and is not perceivable by the user.

I hope to be able to report on my personal experiences on Rowland PSU powering my Aeris DAC before too long.

Regards, Guido

two
    Electronics: Rowland Daemon 1500W Superintegrated, Rowland Aeris DAC+PSU, M925 430W monos, Esoteric X-01 transport
    Speakers: Vienna Die Muzik
    Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond XL PCs, Clear Reflection XLR ICs and speaker wires, Clear digital coax

Guido my friend. How are you?
    I understand what Jeff is doing from a technical basis, and your description is terrific. But I was not at all prepared for the magnitude of the change when the supply is used. I look forward to hearing about your experiences. You are in for a treat. Knowing what and how it works doesn't fully prepare you for the effect it has. This reaffirms my belief of just how good that Aeris DAC and Corus preamp are.

Hello my friend MrDean! Doing quite well, and my system is doing splendidly in my new sound room in SC... The same equipment that I had in Austin, sounds even more magnificent here.

I can't wait to be able to share my experiences with PSU on Aeris!

Saluti, Guido
    Electronics: Rowland Daemon 1500W Superintegrated, Rowland Aeris DAC+PSU, M925 430W monos, Esoteric X-01 transport
    Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond XL PCs, Clear Reflection XLR ICs and speaker wires, Clear digital coax

Audioshark

Guido - are you going to make any of the shows this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Interesting to see super-capacitor based PSUs gaining traction. They have many of the advantages of the battery based PSU, but with lower output impedance.

The first such a design was introduced by UpTone Audio (the brain child of John Swenson and Alex Crespi of Hovland fame) followed shortly after by Vinnie Rossie design. I wonder if JR's PSU is based on one of those desighns ?
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

*** Errata Corrige! ***

All, My earlier description of the PSU's internals is woefully flawed.

Jeff Rowland PSU's design, which commenced in 2010, is based on one single bank of ultracaps to deliver DC continuously to all connected devices.

As there is one single bank of ultra-caps, there is no switching back and forth between banks.

Rather, a very fast recharge of the single bank is initiated when charge level is down to approximately 60%. Recharge is performed concurrently with PSU's continuous DC power delivery to all attached devices.

According to reports, the short charge cycle is completely invariant to the listening experience. nor can any degradation of PSU DC output be measured or even detected by instruments.

I will add more information in an upcoming PSU review thread

And... Hello friend Mike B, I have not decided yet which show I will attend in 2017... But RMAF remains my prime candidate *Smiles!*

Saluti, Guido

Thanks for the correction Guido. I was going to contact JRDG, but this new description corresponds with my previous info. I should have some new experiences with this unit very soon.

I just had my second listen to the PSU transformation, this time enhancing the Aeris DAC only. After listening to the system for 1/2 hour, we swapped the stock (very high quality) power supply of the Aeris with the PSU, and listened to the last track played by Frank Sinatra. The leap was obvious long before Frank sang a word. The textures that bring the music and sound to life just jump out so obviously that there is no necessary thought process. The wonderment and joy without any cognitive effort are such a treat! Guido, you must hear this on your rig!

Hi Mrdean, I can't wait to test a PSU unit in my own system...

I have three independent 20A circuits, one for each M925 mono amp, and one for line level devices. Initially, I will feed PSU from the circuit shared with the Esoteric X-01, but I will also test PSU on a circuit shared with an M925 chassis.

No idea if I will perceive a difference. Here are a couple of questions that I am wondering about...

Have you noticed any changes in PSU's performance through break-in.... Or does PSU appear to be invariant to break-in?

How do various power cords affect PSU... Or does PSU seem to you invariant to PCs?

Saluti,
    Guido

I had the opportunity to hear the PSU in a third system; this time enhancing a Corus preamp only. I realized the appreciation of the transformation isn't really a "how many seconds it takes to notice the difference" situation as "hearing the performance in an entirely new perspective". The sense of space, and the ease of hearing everything in that space is almost disarming. But it is the emotional reaction to the music that is makes this "power supply" change such a fundamental difference, and more than anyone can comprehend. You have to hear it to believe it, but be warned, you can't "un-hear" it. To take away the PSU makes the Aeris and/or Corus sound almost disappointing. And I KNOW how great those components are. You have been warned.
    Guido, I have only heard the PSU as a singular replacement; i.e. Everything else remained the same, so I have not tried different power cords. As for break-in, well I will let you know as I get more time with this incredible device.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Adam

Thank you Adam for posting pics.... As my retinas are inoperative, would you mind adding some quick text captions... My screen reader software will then be able to read me your descriptions of the photos.

Saluti, G.

'This thread is worthless without pics'

Adam

Adam, I have zero objections to photos, on the contrary.... However, having been blind as a bat in a sealed barrell for over 30 years, I can't see them at all. I use screen reading software (JAWS) to operate AudioShark, as well as all other IT facilities.... Screen readers are wonderful tools, but they do not interpret pictures yet.

Hence me asking you to add text captions.

Regards, G.

Am I missing something? I am trying to express my AUDIO experiences. What pictures do you need? Remove an external power supply, (granted, in a nicely machined block of aluminum) and then replace it with a bigger, better power supply in a nicer machined block of aluminum. Not really that exciting. But the sonic results from this swap? Mind-blowing.
    This last system comprises a Berkeley Ref DAC, Rowland Corus, a pair of Rowland 925s and a pair of Magico S7s. All audio cables are Cardas Clear and Clear beyond. Power comes thru Shunyata Hydra/Typhon. Yes, the equipment is visually gorgeous, but that is not what I am writing about. How many times do you take a meticulously put together system (with dedicated AC lines and 240V runs to the amplifiers, and very high quality power conditioning) and replace the power supply of a preamp - thereby not changing a single thing in the audio chain and watch the owner of the system exclaim that he has goosebumps from songs he has heard hundreds of times?

Hi Mrdean, I was referring to the pics posted by Elberoth today.... My software tells me these are pics, purely based on the underlying HTML tags and attributes which are being exposed by the tool, but nothing else.... Hence my request to him to post a quick title or description of the pics, either inline, or in a new post.

I agree that this thread would have lesser value for everyone without photos.... Hence I was looking forward to getting more information and value for my own enjoyment via text description or titles of photos.

Saluti, G.

Hi Guido. I too was referring to Elberoth. "Worthless without pics"? Why? I am trying to use written words to describe an auditory experience. What pics are needed for that?
    Elberoth, If this thread is worthless, read something else...
    Guido, start bugging Jeff and Lucien to send you a PSU. Holy cow!

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoCorona View Post
    Hi Mrdean, I was referring to the pics posted by Elberoth today.... My software tells me these are pics, purely based on the underlying HTML tags and attributes which are being exposed by the tool, but nothing else.... Hence my request to him to post a quick title or description of the pics, either inline, or in a new post.

I agree that this thread would have lesser value for everyone without photos.... Hence I was looking forward to getting more information and value for my own enjoyment via text description or titles of photos.

Saluti, G.

Thank you MrDean.... I can only guess that friend Elberoth was being humorously hyperbolic in his assertion about the "worthless" thingie... Oh well *Grins!*

Yet, it is easy to comprehend how -- our IT-connected society being so intrinsically visual, thanks to instant videos and photographs -- such a statement may come natural to some.

Saluti, Guido

Yes you are right... I need to bug Lucien and Jeff aboout PSU.

I added the PSU to my Jeff Rowland system which includes the 925's, Azeris , and Corus and must admit the I was amazed how much better the system. There was more a life to the music and better separation amongst the instruments. A very worthwhile improvement to my system.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thanks for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thanks Tdimler for forwarding the review. I have to admit, the PSU is a must for anyone owning the Corus as well as Aeris. It knocks the wind out of the sails!

Sam

I was fortunate enough to be at Jeff's place when he carried up a finished PSU to his listening room for the inaugural run with the Aeris. This was after we had listened for some time without the PSU. After inserting the PSU and listening to the same selections I can say it is indeed a fine piece.

Travis

Thanks Travis:

I agree it is a fine piece as well. It just seems like the PSU makes the music "jump out at you with realism! What's next?

Sam

The conclusions to C. Punter's review on HSA linked above are particularly telling:

"The Corus with PSU truly comprise the ultimate JRDG pre-amplifier. Not only is this the best JRDG preamp I have heard but the combo puts in the best overall
    performance that I have heard in my system. It took only moments to make me decide to put my money where my mouth is and use a*credit loan to purchase
    the combo.
    "

Saluti, Guido

The new PSU:

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoCorona View Post
    Thank you MrDean.... I can only guess that friend Elberoth was being humorously hyperbolic in his assertion about the "worthless" thingie... Oh well *Grins!*
    +1

It is such a popular Internet saying ... there are actually thousands of images and gifs for the ocasion. I'm surprised someone could have taken it literally and feel offended (!).
    Adam

This is very interesting. I wonder if the PSU could power my Consummate preamp and phono amp?
    Main 2ch/HT:Acoustat 2+2,Axiom EP500,Ray Lumley M-100, Bedini BA-803,Threshold T3,JRDG Consumate Phono, Lenco L75, ZYX Universe cart,Oppo BDP 95(transport), Calyx Femto DAC,Bryston BDP-2,Pioneer F-91 tuner,Studer A807 r2r,Consonance d-Linear15 power filter, DVDO Matrix 4x4,Mitsubishi HC-5 projector, Audience Au24e and LectraLine Xe cables,Cullen Power Distribution Box with upgraded cable
    Bedroom 2ch/HT:Tetra 406, Forte model2pre,Forte model3amp,TeacUD503,Faroudja DV1000,PioneerCLD-97 ld player,Thorens TD-146,PioneerTX-9800,Mitsubishi HC5 projector,Tetra Artet cables

Hi Albert. The PSU is very product specific and right now will only power the Corus and /or Aeris. I know the Consummate well, but it is not a going to be compatible unless you had some major electronics surgery done. Nor will it power a Coherence 1 or 2, Synergy, Capri; you get the idea. I am sure Jeff Rowland would tell you to just buy a Corus...
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    This is very interesting. I wonder if the PSU could power my Consummate preamp and phono amp?

Okay, thanks. I am not surprised that they are not compatible as the Consummate is kind of old but better power always makes a difference. I have the preamp plugged into a Consonance dLinear 15 power filter with upgraded outlets to Furutech GTX gold. Other receptacles are also Furutech GTX with Oyaide bases and carbon fibre covers. I even upgraded my Cullen power box to Furutech GTX gold. An upgraded power supply would have been a nice addition but the original still works well. It has been checked out by JRDG within the past 5 years or so. Still, using clean dc with absolutely no ripple must make for some very clean sound.
    Main 2ch/HT:Acoustat 2+2,Axiom EP500,Ray Lumley M-100, Bedini BA-803,Threshold T3,JRDG Consumate Phono, Lenco L75, ZYX Universe cart,Oppo BDP 95(transport), Calyx Femto DAC,Bryston BDP-2,Pioneer F-91 tuner,Studer A807 r2r,Consonance d-Linear15 power filter, DVDO Matrix 4x4,Mitsubishi HC-5 projector, Audience Au24e and LectraLine Xe cables,Cullen Power Distribution Box with upgraded cable
    Bedroom 2ch/HT:Tetra 406, Forte model2pre,Forte model3amp,TeacUD503,Faroudja DV1000,PioneerCLD-97 ld player,Thorens TD-146,PioneerTX-9800,Mitsubishi HC5 projector,Tetra Artet cables

Well, that DC is what led Jeff Rowland to the Battery Power supplies of the Coherence 2 and even some of his power amps, but with the PSU he gets all the quiet DC, but with near instantaneous current delivery of Ultra-capacitors, and less internal resistance than batteries. If you do get the opportunity to hear the Corus/PSU, enjoy it. It is quite a treat.

Hi Albert, you should ask Angie Lisi of American Sound in Richmond Hill near Toronto to order a PSU.... ANd let you listen to a system with PSU powering a Corus and an Aeris at the same time.... I am confident you would find the experience more than a treat!

But.... Don't try to feed PSU to anything except Corus and/or Aeris.... Unless you are a fan of glorious sparkels, delicate scent of burnt circuits, and.... Slagged electronics *Grins!*

Guido

One listen to a Corus/PSU-925 Magico S7 system, and another friend got himself a Corus/PSU to replace his mega $ preamp (over 2X the price of the Rowland set). If you own either a Corus, or an Aeris, or are fortunate enough to have both, you really really must hear the PSU in your set. And if you are looking for your preamp or DAC to complete your dream system, you had better include these in the evaluation process, or kick yourself later.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

The amazing Jeff Rowland PSU brings a transformation